Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Did you report them back for calling you a complete - - - hole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i think i have played maybe one match i half-remember where i didn't get a top stat

but like i'm pretty sure we lost that match and i spent most of it bunkering a point, probably

top stat? really? even i don't care about that.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

how does this even happen

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I regularly got top stat poo poo and I don't even pvp.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

this was from some time back, but

10-0-0-0-0 because their one guy capped home at start and then the team... well...

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

how does this even happen

a legit 5v5 game at the start of my quest to Legendary:

edit: also included is the speech I typed out to start all 155 games

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Somebody made Arthas!
https://imgur.com/a/qq0eL

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thank you to the multiple people for responding regarding class choice! (not gonna quote all that)
You made several classes sound more interesting than i gave them credit for at a glance and explained the playstyles in more detail.

I opted to continue on my ranger with the aim of playing a supporty druid, with a build suited for small groups and PVE map zergs/events.
After grinding to 80 in a couple of hours (a couple of xp boosts + fully bonused enemies makes for incredibly fast leveling!) and spending a couple of days getting "aquainted with" (my rear end handed to me repeatedly) HoT zones and mechanics i had the 250 hero points required to 100% unlock druid.
I am a bit underwhelmed. None of the staff skills seems to pack a very large punch, and the actual healing that everyone has been talking so warmly about is hidden behind a long "cooldown" with an incredibly short duration. (i haven't even had the time to read the description of the last 2 skills yet) And to add even more insult to injury the healing skills behind the cooldown doesn't even seem to heal myself (?!) I honestly was expecting something else when reading the explanations about the druid, but perhaps i was expecting too much. Or at the very least it seems my expectations aren't in line with how this game works at a base level.

When i think of support classes or buffers or healers i think of someone that does that job nearly all - to all the time. Buffs should be permanently up, heals should be spammable. If the druid heals were the baseline staff skills and the cooldown opened up all the dps skill that would be more aligned with what i was expecting (hoping) At the very least buffs should have permanent uptime. Right now it seems they are up 20-30% of the time.

Maybe the game itself isn't for me. I really do not like the weapon swapping mechanic, i find how every single skill is essentially a short duration cooldown type skill frustrating and the thought of trying to decipher what a "build" does to see if it suits my playstyle makes me not want to log on. There are so many terms and mechanics and interactions my thoughts trail off before i am even halfway in trying to understand a build because i find these ways of character customization so boring. (If you have skill A and skill B then skill C will have increased duration if it is winter solstice and you are wearing a tophat)
I do enjoy lots of the features of the game though. The map objective way of "questing" is great, the art style really works, the lore is interesting. The personal story mechanics are great. The first few weeks of gameplay were lots of fun, some of the most fun i have had gaming in a long while. That is why i don't just find a different game to play. I really think i can enjoy this game if i could only get comfortable with a class/build/playstyle but i am not the kind of person to find it interesting to try and make these builds myself.

TLDR; I would really appreciate some (further) help with a druid build well suited for map exploration, soloing tougher enemies, small pve groups and map meta events/zergs

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Since you have HoT now, maybe investigate Revenant, specifically the Ventari and Glint stances. Ventari healing isn't meta but you might like it.

e: in case you don't know, you can make the character & enter the PvP hub to mess around with all the traits & skills.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

TLDR; I would really appreciate some (further) help with a druid build well suited for map exploration, soloing tougher enemies, small pve groups and map meta events/zergs

Longbow/Staff Berserker Druid should do the trick I think

Not totally sure about traits though

E: This looks good http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_Power_Glyph_Buffer

You don't heal as much as someone using staff, but Celestial Avatar is still good group healing and your glyphs all spit out heals

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 4, 2016

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Thank you to the multiple people for responding regarding class choice! (not gonna quote all that)
You made several classes sound more interesting than i gave them credit for at a glance and explained the playstyles in more detail.

I opted to continue on my ranger with the aim of playing a supporty druid, with a build suited for small groups and PVE map zergs/events.
After grinding to 80 in a couple of hours (a couple of xp boosts + fully bonused enemies makes for incredibly fast leveling!) and spending a couple of days getting "aquainted with" (my rear end handed to me repeatedly) HoT zones and mechanics i had the 250 hero points required to 100% unlock druid.
I am a bit underwhelmed. None of the staff skills seems to pack a very large punch, and the actual healing that everyone has been talking so warmly about is hidden behind a long "cooldown" with an incredibly short duration. (i haven't even had the time to read the description of the last 2 skills yet) And to add even more insult to injury the healing skills behind the cooldown doesn't even seem to heal myself (?!) I honestly was expecting something else when reading the explanations about the druid, but perhaps i was expecting too much. Or at the very least it seems my expectations aren't in line with how this game works at a base level.

When i think of support classes or buffers or healers i think of someone that does that job nearly all - to all the time. Buffs should be permanently up, heals should be spammable. If the druid heals were the baseline staff skills and the cooldown opened up all the dps skill that would be more aligned with what i was expecting (hoping) At the very least buffs should have permanent uptime. Right now it seems they are up 20-30% of the time.

Maybe the game itself isn't for me. I really do not like the weapon swapping mechanic, i find how every single skill is essentially a short duration cooldown type skill frustrating and the thought of trying to decipher what a "build" does to see if it suits my playstyle makes me not want to log on. There are so many terms and mechanics and interactions my thoughts trail off before i am even halfway in trying to understand a build because i find these ways of character customization so boring. (If you have skill A and skill B then skill C will have increased duration if it is winter solstice and you are wearing a tophat)
I do enjoy lots of the features of the game though. The map objective way of "questing" is great, the art style really works, the lore is interesting. The personal story mechanics are great. The first few weeks of gameplay were lots of fun, some of the most fun i have had gaming in a long while. That is why i don't just find a different game to play. I really think i can enjoy this game if i could only get comfortable with a class/build/playstyle but i am not the kind of person to find it interesting to try and make these builds myself.

First of all, you should think of all classes as primarily DPS with potential support on the side. While it's possible to get insane amounts of healing out of a Druid with full Healing Power gear, that kind of play style is not recommended anywhere outside of raids, and usually not even there. For open world PvE, you'd probably want to go with something other than staff as a main weapon, like sword/axe, greatsword or longbow depending on preference (or axe/torch if you're going for condition damage), staff is more a weapon you can swap to for the mobility of the 3 skill or the projectile defense of the 5, since it does hit like a wet noodle. As for buffs, Druid brings Grace of the Land which you should always have a couple of stacks of if you go into Celestial Form on cooldown and pop a few heals (the number 4 skill is the best one for pure healing), as well as that one Glyph that buffs damage and fury from your Tiger/Moa and potentially warhorn.

What kind of gear are you using? If your gear has mostly defensive stats trying to solo anything is going to be a tedious experience regardless of build, class and weapons. Generally a full set of Berserker's gear is recommended, although if you want more survivability you can mix some Knight's or Marauder's stats in there.

Also you shouldn't be too worried about builds at this point; the builds you'll find on Metabattle and such are super optimized builds for tryhards, if you're just doing open world stuff then you don't have to worry too much about rotations or specific traits. That being said though, if you really don't like the playstyle maybe you should try out other classes to see if any of them feel better to you?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Behold the tactical guild banquet.

I think those things last for like an hour too.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

druid talk!

here's what i use for pve/events/small group stuff/pvp/basically everything but raids/i only did a raid like once: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJAWTnEqAVsitsAOsActgFCBzZ2NDudLluAQVD+reWTrnIdtnC

longbow is really all you need for killing stuff. staff is less damage but it lets you poop out heals like crazy. put down the 5 skill (creates a water field) -> 3 into it (blasts the water for aoe heal) -> swap pets for Clarion Call (buffs + another aoe water blast heal). use 2 on target to heal meleers. celestial avatar in an emergency (press 4, run around, press 3, spam 1 and 2, press 3, 4, when they come back up, hit 5 if you feel like it). healing a group with the staff brings it back up fairly quickly though.

if you're running/healing a dungeon you can swap longbow to axe/warhorn, swap Evasive Purity trait to Windborne Notes, Protective Ward to Nature's Vengeance, and use Sun, Frost and Nature spirits to be pretty much pure support.

i have healing stats on my staff, zerker on my longbow, and a mix of power/healing/condi/vitality on various pieces of my gear. survivability is king in HoT zones. unless they nerfed them??

Orv
May 4, 2011

Looks like a giant weeb douchebag who makes nothing but bad decisions. 10/10

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Staff Tempest Healer is the build for providing absolutely nothing of value besides green numbers constantly. Inefficient use of a group slot, but effective.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

If you're not having fun with the cooldown idea try taking thief for a whirl, the utilities are still cd based but the weapon skills work by each attack costing an amount of initiative - a thief only resource that recharges pretty fast even without traits - and can be spammed if you want as long as you have the initiative to spare. The signets are good too so you don't necessarily have to press buttons if you don't want to (note: bad habits formed by this are not my problem)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Orv posted:

Looks like a giant weeb douchebag who makes nothing but bad decisions. 10/10

it kind of highlights how loving generic the design is, honestly

Orv
May 4, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

it kind of highlights how loving generic the design is, honestly

I don't know about that necessarily. The actual Lich King Arthas design is pretty cool in a very 12yo cool kind of way, which is probably exactly what you want from it given their cinematics.

E: I think it's more that it's easily emulated in a general heavy fantasy armor sense, but no clone of him in another game really nails what's cool about the Lich King armor, which is the detailing.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 4, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I spent some time in Tangled Depths last night. Normally, I'm only there for the story steps.
I had no idea what to do. I was never close to events, the way points were always far from the action, and I died way too many times just trying to run to an event.
Verdant Brink and Auric Basin have logical schedules and the events are easy to find and participate in. Do you have to have an organized map with squads and commanders before Tangled Depths makes sense? I did the Rata Novus chain and helped some Nuoch raise some beetles. I never saw an indicator for another event. Map chat talked about another event but I couldn't find it.
I assume Dragon's Stand is even worse.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

I spent some time in Tangled Depths last night. Normally, I'm only there for the story steps.
I had no idea what to do. I was never close to events, the way points were always far from the action, and I died way too many times just trying to run to an event.
Verdant Brink and Auric Basin have logical schedules and the events are easy to find and participate in. Do you have to have an organized map with squads and commanders before Tangled Depths makes sense? I did the Rata Novus chain and helped some Nuoch raise some beetles. I never saw an indicator for another event. Map chat talked about another event but I couldn't find it.
I assume Dragon's Stand is even worse.

The events are basically preparing each of the 4 lanes for Gerent. And then you fight Gerent when the timer ticks down. Repeat.

Dragon's Stand is 3 lanes advancing on Mordremoth, it's the most straightforward. Like you just walk down a lane with a zerg.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OneEightHundred posted:

Behold the tactical guild banquet.

I think those things last for like an hour too.

You cannot perform that action while in combat.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Orv posted:

I don't know about that necessarily. The actual Lich King Arthas design is pretty cool in a very 12yo cool kind of way, which is probably exactly what you want from it given their cinematics.

E: I think it's more that it's easily emulated in a general heavy fantasy armor sense, but no clone of him in another game really nails what's cool about the Lich King armor, which is the detailing.

It's also missing the aura he has. The soul draining freezing aura of death.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Ineptitude posted:

... When i think of support classes or buffers or healers i think of someone that does that job nearly all - to all the time. Buffs should be permanently up, heals should be spammable. If the druid heals were the baseline staff skills and the cooldown opened up all the dps skill that would be more aligned with what i was expecting (hoping) At the very least buffs should have permanent uptime. Right now it seems they are up 20-30% of the time.

Spending anything near 100% of your time topping-off health bars was one of their primary things they set out to prevent in this game. Everyone has a decent share of the responsibility for keeping themselves alive and motive, and every class has the ability to do that.

I'm gonna be honest with you, you're one of the, maybe, three people I've online-met ever that actually likes that healbot playstyle, and traditional MMOs required at least one in every group just to function.

That said, you can reach near 100% uptime on many buffs in most classes from what I've seen. You just have to build/rotate correctly.

Ineptitude posted:

...I really think i can enjoy this game if i could only get comfortable with a class/build/playstyle but i am not the kind of person to find it interesting to try and make these builds myself....

That level of familiarity comes from just playing over a long period of time and trying out different stuff. Experiment. This game is not difficult enough to punish you for running a weird-rear end build in most PvE.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 5, 2016

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Blasphemeral posted:

Spending anything near 100% of your time topping-off health bars was one of their primary things they set out to prevent in this game. Everyone has a decent share of the responsibility for keeping themselves alive and motive, and every class has the ability to do that.

I'm gonna be honest with you, you're one of the, maybe, three people I've online-met ever that actually likes that healbot playstyle, and traditional MMOs required at least one in every group just to function.

That said, you can reach near 100% uptime on many buffs in most classes from what I've seen. You just have to build/rotate correctly.

I like playing healbots! I also like other stuff which is why I play GW2 as much as I do but my favourite is healing/support. I have a healbot druid who I play in big zerg events pretty frequently and seem to do some good in, especially trying to spread grace of the land around as much as possible. Staff actually does quite a bit of healing if you position yourself right and if you're using it right then celestial avatar should be up very frequently.

The other class that I really enjoy from a support point of view is revenant, as someone mentioned earlier. Glint legend gives you a whole lot of buffs that you can have up permanently and give permanently to people who are nearby to you as long as you manage your energy effectively, and Ventari has heal/reflect although personally I normally stick to Glint.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Magres posted:

Longbow/Staff Berserker Druid should do the trick I think

Not totally sure about traits though

E: This looks good http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_Power_Glyph_Buffer

You don't heal as much as someone using staff, but Celestial Avatar is still good group healing and your glyphs all spit out heals

Thanks! Berserker (or similar names in builds) means the type of armor that build uses?

Thanks for linking a build. I tried it out all yesterday but its not really sitting well with me.

Generic Octopus posted:

Since you have HoT now, maybe investigate Revenant, specifically the Ventari and Glint stances. Ventari healing isn't meta but you might like it.

e: in case you don't know, you can make the character & enter the PvP hub to mess around with all the traits & skills.

Organza Quiz posted:

The other class that I really enjoy from a support point of view is revenant, as someone mentioned earlier. Glint legend gives you a whole lot of buffs that you can have up permanently and give permanently to people who are nearby to you as long as you manage your energy effectively, and Ventari has heal/reflect although personally I normally stick to Glint.

I thought revenant was something similar to the shadowknight/deathknight archetype, i.e. a heavy armor user with evil alignment spells like poisons and drain life.
Could you give a quick (and more accurate) description of revenant and their capabilities?

Blasphemeral posted:

Odd, i have always seen plenty of healers in MMOs i have played. When i was the GM of a hardcore WoW raiding guild healers were by far the easiest role to recruit, and i mean good ones that wanted to play healers not bad ones that chose the heal role to more easily get groups. The most difficult to recruit for were good DPS. (Maybe its a regional thing? I've mostly played on EU realms in MMOs where there is a EU/US separation)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

I thought revenant was something similar to the shadowknight/deathknight archetype, i.e. a heavy armor user with evil alignment spells like poisons and drain life.
Could you give a quick (and more accurate) description of revenant and their capabilities?

Nope, despite the name and the armour set they're nothing of the sort. The concept behind revenants is that they channel important figures from the past (all important GW1 NPCs to my knowledge) and get utility skills appropriate to those people. So there's a defense-based legend, a DPS legend, a condition-related legend, a healing legend, and their elite spec gives them Glint which is a boon-sharing legend. Each legend also has a weapon associated with it although there isn't technically a restriction on what weapon you equip with what legend. It's just that it generally makes sense to equip sword for DPS with the DPS legend or a staff for healing with the healing legend, for example. The amount of healing they do isn't really enough for them to be used as a healer class but like I said, their boon sharing ability is second to none.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm going out on a limb here but I think you talked to the wrong people while playing online games. There's a lot of people in MMOs who enjoy dedicated healing (or even support roles in games that have them). GW2 is not aimed at them, it's fine, but they exist.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks! Berserker (or similar names in builds) means the type of armor that build uses?

Odd, i have always seen plenty of healers in MMOs i have played. When i was the GM of a hardcore WoW raiding guild healers were by far the easiest role to recruit, and i mean good ones that wanted to play healers not bad ones that chose the heal role to more easily get groups. The most difficult to recruit for were good DPS. (Maybe its a regional thing? I've mostly played on EU realms in MMOs where there is a EU/US separation)

Gw2 has annoyingly added an armor set called beserker (power,precision,ferocity) and a class called beserker (warriors only). If a build has class/beserker in the name will mean using the armor set but if it's just beserker it's means the class.

Revenants are a heavy armor class that are like, opposite eles. Their elements are ghosts and instead of switching out weapon skills it switches out their utilities. There are 4 base flavor of ghosts that you pick two from, condi/power/healing/toughness and the specialization ghost which is buffs. I find the healing ghost in revenant strictly inferior to druid because its micromanage-y bullshit. You summon an object that does all the healing in a small radius around it, and you personally have to move it around using a skill that has a cooldown. With how movement based the game the game is, I find that people usually just leave the small aoe before you can get any heals off.

Buff ghost is really underwhelming to me, especially since I play ele. It's mostly just activate buffghost, press the butans for the buffs you want, then autoattack with your sword till your energy runs out or not. I also like to play healbots (esp in wow, gently caress yeah super whackamole) and buff ghost revenant is extremely boring. I'd say they're the most useful in wvw zergs since 100% swiftness is a must. In pve either they're brought solely to support the chronomancer in raids or just kind of exists. In pve "support" revenant seems to be mostly farting out a few buffs between switching to power ghost and dpsing.

I'm a big ele supporter :toot: You should give auramancer a try I think.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Auramancer_Raid_Healer

Xun fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 5, 2016

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Xun posted:

Buff ghost is really underwhelming to me, especially since I play ele. It's mostly just activate buffghost, press the butans for the buffs you want, then autoattack with your sword till your energy runs out or not. I also like to play healbots (esp in wow, gently caress yeah super whackamole) and buff ghost revenant is extremely boring.

I main ele and sometimes it's really nice to just switch to a class where I can buff everyone around me with no effort and hit 1 on my sword and still do something useful.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

I main ele and sometimes it's really nice to just switch to a class where I can buff everyone around me with no effort and hit 1 on my sword and still do something useful.

Hence why I consider it to be extremely boring :v: gently caress even ps warrior is more engaging.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Gemstore updated.

Xera mask for 400 gems and 350 gems for makeover kit + 5 transmute charges.
No Glide-r-tron glider yet :(

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I'm getting back into GW2, and I noticed after logging in that they gave me a Lv 80 boost. I don't want to use it on my 47 Necromancer, who I stubbornly intend to level. Any suggestions for another class to use it on? I liked Guardian and Warrior, and I'm interested in what they did with Ranger.

How is the new class? I haven't really played since a little after they released HoT.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Ineptitude posted:

Berserker's is the equipment prefix that includes Power(++), Precision(+) and Ferocity(+).

It's the most common and generally all-around-useful stat set in the game.

Ineptitude posted:

Revenant is more like a spirit channeler or, in D&D terms, a Binder of Vestiges. They commune with dead heroes/villains of history and utilize their powers and skills.

Ineptitude posted:

I played WoW back in the vanilla / Burning Crusade days right up to near the release of WotLK in the US, and healers were by far the hardest to find. Everyone wanted to DPS. Everyone. Even the priests. Like, we could find healers, it's not like they didn't exist, but no one wanted to actually do it. It was more that they wanted to be included and the only spots that were guaranteed always available were healing roles, so they played those.

And it wasn't just one guild, either, it was every guild I was in, ever. The most successful guild was the one where the guild leader was a dedicated healer that was serious about the job. He was one of the two other people I mentioned before who I ever met that enjoyed dedicated healing.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 5, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Druid and Ventari rev (despite being pretty much just plain poo poo) are both more fun to play than 90% of the possible builds in this game.

Blasphemeral posted:

I played WoW back in the vanilla / Burning Crusade days right up to near the release of WotLK in the US, and healers were by far the hardest to find. Everyone wanted to DPS. Everyone. Even the priests. Like, we could find healers, it's not like they didn't exist, but no one wanted to actually do it. It was more that they wanted to be included and the only spots that were guaranteed always available were healing roles, so they played those.

So are you intentionally obtuse or do you actually think everyone who does something you don't like only does it begrudgingly because you're incapable of accepting that some people actually like things you don't?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Waci posted:

So are you intentionally obtuse or do you actually think everyone who does something you don't like only does it begrudgingly because you're incapable of accepting that some people actually like things you don't?

Many of them on separate occasions specifically told me this. I see that there's a decent number of people reporting in this thread to the contrary, and that's cool. To you heal-lovers: where were you guys in 2003? We really could have used your help.

But thanks for turning this into some personality flaw of mine. I guess my entire raiding and LFG history in WoW and, to a lesser extent, EQ, was because I couldn't see the healers because I didn't like doing that role myself, or something? :shrug:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Colgate posted:

I'm getting back into GW2, and I noticed after logging in that they gave me a Lv 80 boost. I don't want to use it on my 47 Necromancer, who I stubbornly intend to level. Any suggestions for another class to use it on? I liked Guardian and Warrior, and I'm interested in what they did with Ranger.

How is the new class? I haven't really played since a little after they released HoT.

You can try out the level 80 boost before you use it up so if you aren't sure which class you want to boost up just make/delete different classes until you've had a good chance to compare them. Every class is good so it's really down to personal preference. Have a look at the elite specs for each class too since you might want to boost the class that you're most interested in the elite spec of, that way you can get to use it faster.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Rev isn't really like that at all; it's a class that does pretty much everything, and its gimmick is that you channel spirits to give you your powers. It's got 2 main mechanics. First is an energy bar as a resource, if you ever played gw1 it's basically a callback to the way all classes managed their energy pool in that game. Most skills cost energy, and it regenerates pretty quick by default, but then other skills that produce constant effects can require 'upkeep' which reduces the rate of regen (or cause you to start losing energy outright, depending on the skill or how many different upkeep skills you start using).

Second, Rev's got Legends, stances based on dead famous folk from gw1 lore. Much like weapons, you can have two ready at a time to switch between in combat, and which stance you're in determines the right half of your skill bar. You basically have access to 2 sets of utility skills at any given time in combat, much like how most classes have 2 weapon sets.

Each Legend has their own trait line, meant to support what that Legend does. Shiro does damage & is mobile, Mallyx inflicts conditions and is resistant to them, Jalis is a tank (even has a skill to Taunt), Ventari heals (both health and conditions), and Glint provides continuous boons which can be dropped to activate offensive skills.

So when you say "I want spam healing and constant buffs", that's basically what Ventari and Glint are. Ventari heals things in an area around a tablet you can move around (2 sec cooldown on the heal spell, moving the tablet through people heals them as well), and Glint just keeps applying boons all day long. You can't do both at the exact same time, but the cooldown for switching stances is only 10 seconds and while you have the Herald trait line equipped (elite spec needed for Glint) you get a button that gives everyone every boon for a little bit anyway, regardless of which stance you're in.

tl;dr: Rev using Ventari & Glint can swap between spam heal mode and perma boon mode. Really the best thing though is to just use an open character slot and go to the PvP lobby, where you can fiddle with everything for free to test stuff out. And as others have said, the healing on Ventari basically requires you to build Healing Power and take the associated trait line.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Part of the fun of being a healer is being wanted, everyone wants to be wanted every now and then :shobon:

I was a primary raid healer because of that, and because I much preferred it to DPS, where the goal was to just memorize a rotation. As a healer you are actually reacting to what is going on, but you didn't have quite the level of responsibility of the tank.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

Many of them on separate occasions specifically told me this. I see that there's a decent number of people reporting in this thread to the contrary, and that's cool. To you heal-lovers: where were you guys in 2003? We really could have used your help.

In 2003 I was 8! I think my cousin let me play on his account and I made like a level 13 priest lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Blasphemeral posted:

I was, uh, playing WoW I think. A resto spec druid even.

• Locked thread