Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

skasion posted:

There's going to be either one or two DLCs, conflicting reports about that but most people seem to think one in the fall and one next spring. We know nothing about them yet.

There are 2 DLCs, one in Fall and one in Spring. The conflicting report was a bad translation of Miyazaki's GNN interview mentioning a third DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The third DLC will let you play as the last surviving mushroom person and get revenge on the Ghru that slaughtered your family.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MarshyMcFly posted:

Key word: once. Not impressed. Plus why didn't you just leave? You can always just go home if you can't kill host. 10/10 for the black separation crystal. The most OP of pvp items.

Because I was having fun. Not every invasion needs to be a xXxMLGxXX roflstomp for me to enjoy it. When I invade someone with an interesting gimmick I try to stick around just to see what will happen.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The update certainly put a crimp on my plans for a Liberace-themed character with Cleric's Candlestick in the right hand and Scholar's Candlestick in the other, and Evangelist's Robes for the armor.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anyone noticed that you hit twice every swing with a greataxe (both Greataxe and Yhorm's Great Machete) to Lord of Cinder boss? I've been sunbroing that fight for medals and no other weapon I used (greathammers or halberds) did that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Guillermus posted:

Anyone noticed that you hit twice every swing with a greataxe (both Greataxe and Yhorm's Great Machete) to Lord of Cinder boss? I've been sunbroing that fight for medals and no other weapon I used (greathammers or halberds) did that.

I killed him first try with the +5 dragonslayer greataxe while I was drunk as gently caress and I am not particularly skilled. If I got an unfair advantage that might explain it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Guillermus posted:

I have noticed that with the Greataxe, the only thing I can think of similar in Souls glitches is weapon decay doubling when running at 60FPS

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

redreader posted:

Lol. I'm in Anor londo. I killed the pontiff and walked through the level for about 10 minutes before a silver knight archer shot me off a ledge. No invasions. I didn't even see any red fight club signs or anything. Not a single sign. The place is dead around level 30. Time to level the gently caress up!

I'm level 60 and get fight club signs outside the pontiff bonfire and when I dared to go human for a moment got immediately invaded near the archers.

Someone please tell me that run past the silver knights with greatbows is the hardest part of the game because it took me over an hour last night to get past it :qq:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

It's not.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are you taking a weird path? As long as you keep moving they'll never hit you.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Casting hidden body and the spell that makes you silent lets you run right up to them and backstab them, usually pushing them off the building.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

redreader posted:

After getting 30 invasions for wolf of farron, I switched from the +2 (for invading in the swamp) raw bandit's axe to the carthus curved sword. Holy gently caress, it's turned the game into easy mode. I haven't done any invasions with it though but drat, everyone is going down hard to me now. this is my second run the game, it's easier than the first so far but once I got the carthus curved sword it's ridiculous. I had it at+4 at first (the equivalent of +2 raw) and now it's levelled to +5, I think that'll be best for invasions, keeping the level low. I'm also avoiding levelling so I'm at 30 right now. I went through the catacombs and the smouldering lake (demon king and wolnir went down first try) and also got to the chapel bonfire in irithyll first try, even with killing all the mobs in between. On my first run I had to just run past everyone.

Str is nice in some ways but a nice faster weapon is better really. The bandit's axe, greataxe and dragonslayer greataxe just don't compare.

Yeah I find it funny they didn't touch the CCS, it was more OP than the dark sword even before the nerf. It's a fun weapon but I start to feel bad using it in pvp because it seems too good.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rough Lobster posted:

Casting hidden body and the spell that makes you silent lets you run right up to them and backstab them, usually pushing them off the building.

Mostly you just need the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring to let you sneak up on them, they don't have eyes in the back of their heads.

The SD and Cloranthy rings only come off my fingers for very pressing reasons while PvEing.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Are you taking a weird path? As long as you keep moving they'll never hit you.

*stops behind cover to regain some stamina, arrow in the head, flies off the edge*

I'm just complaining because it took me an hour to get past them last night - althought I haven't tried the slumbering dragoncrest ring, that's a good idea.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Killed Wolnir, the Deacons and the Watchers, decided to sequence break a little bit because I really want the goddamned Dragonslayer Spear asap since I'm running a faith build. Dancer wasn't too bad with some summoned buddies, but now I'm wrangling with Ocerios, which is giving me a little trouble since there's rarely anyone available for co-op there. I might bounce back to Rosaria and respec so I can dump all the points I put into faith into STR and DEX so I can hit harder with my refined broadsword, as the 27 points I've got in faith right now aren't helping much.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 5, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

McKilligan posted:

I'm wrangling with Ocerios, which is giving me a little trouble since there's rarely anyone available for co-op there.

Bring Hawkwood, sometimes he'll just be a good meatshield, randomly he'll blow Oceiros's rear end up on his own.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Using a 100-block shield works surprisingly well against Oceiros. It doesn't need to be anything special, the Silver Eagle Kite Shield works just fine. His attacks may break your guard but he almost never has a followup if they do so you can just tank him with the shield and wait for an opening.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

*stops behind cover to regain some stamina, arrow in the head, flies off the edge*

I'm just complaining because it took me an hour to get past them last night - althought I haven't tried the slumbering dragoncrest ring, that's a good idea.

Wont help against ranged enemies, they have good eyesight. You want hidden body/obscuring ring.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Using a shield definitely makes a huge difference against dragonbabby, since he has that one attack with basically no windup and a hitbox of half the room that he loves to do out of nowhere. If you're not waiting for stamina to come back just keep the shield raised.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Tallgeese posted:

Dark Souls 3 basically removed poise as a consideration for most people, added weapon arts, but other than that is basically DS1 2.0 mechanically.

Only if you've spent the last year playing Bloodborne. The enemy movements and speed are so insanely different to DS2, when combined with weapon arts, hitstun, and hyperarmor mechanics you're talking something much more different to DS2 than DS2 was to DS1.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

"DS1 with new stuff bolted on" is obviously going to be more different than DS1->DS2 for obvious reasons.

Going backwards with a side trip to Albuquerque is not exactly an improvement to me, but people who REALLY hated DS2 would disagree!

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 5, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

hampig posted:

Only if you've spent the last year playing Bloodborne. The enemy movements and speed are so insanely different to DS2, when combined with weapon arts, hitstun, and hyperarmor mechanics you're talking something much more different to DS2 than DS2 was to DS1.
I think the two of you are saying the same thing, but you're misunderstanding Tallgeese? He was making a comparison to DS1 rather than to DS2. (And without actually diving into the code like Tallgeese has done, I'd wager that Bloodborne is mechanically closest to DS2 and maybe vice versa.)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Who knows what Bloodborne is like under the hood.

I doubt we'd find DS2 stuff in it if it were datamined, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If they threw out a ton of dark souls 2 for dark souls 3, I really doubt there's much dark souls 2 code in bloodborne considering it came out sooner and was partly in development at the same time as 2.

God bless the B team.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vakal posted:

The third DLC will let you play as the last surviving mushroom person and get revenge on the Ghru that slaughtered your family.

:siren: SECRET DLC SPOILERS AHEAD :siren:

If you go into NG+ and kill Aldrich without taking any damage, then you receive the Pendant (aka the same Pendant that was a starting item in Dark Souls 1). In the Fall DLC, you'll be able to import a DS1 character if that character has a Pendant in its inventory. This will cause the DS3 pendant to become a usable item that dumps you into a fully playable version of the original Max Payne, but with Max Payne re-skinned as a mushroom person and all of the other characters re-skinned as Ghru. Completing this unlocks standard Poise for your DS3 character.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hampig posted:

I'm not even sure about that. To me it seems like DS3 has a lot more in common with DS2 than DS2 had in common with DS1. Consider these points:

• DS3 Weapon arts are an evolution of the Power Stance system in DS2. DS1 had nothing like this, it just had some weapons where the strong attack would do something weird.
  • DS1 had no dual-wielding of any sort. Dual-wielding in DS2 (power stance) isn't exactly like dual-wielding in DS3 (two-hand specific weapons), but the system is at least there in both games
  • DS1 has 2 ring slots, DS2 and DS3 each have 4 ring slots
  • Hyperarmor is a mechanic that goes all the way back to Demon's Souls. It was almost almost completely absent from DS1 (with a few exceptions). It came back in a big way in DS2 and is even more common in DS3
  • DS2 introduced the idea of allowing players to choose who they play with using the name-engraved ring, which evolved into the password system of DS3. DS1 had no such mechanic
  • DS1 had three roll types, DS2 and DS2 both have two roll types
  • Roll distance in DS1 was determined by roll type, in DS2 and DS3 roll speed scales linearly with equipment load
  • Enemies in DS2 were much faster than in DS1, and DS3 enemies are often even faster than DS2 enemies
    [item]DS1 didn't have hexes. It had "dark" pyromancies and "dark" sorceries, but these didn't do Dark damage; they did a mix of Physical and Magical damage that scaled with str/dex and int, respectively. DS2 was the first game with actual Hexes with int+faith requirements and scaling, and DS3 basically continues that system
  • DS1 had a convoluted-as-gently caress upgrade system, with all sorts of different titanites, different upgrade paths depending on what kind of infusion you wanted, different blacksmiths that you'd have to visit, etc. DS2 departed from that and simplified things in a big way. DS3 and DS2 basically have the same weapon upgrade system, but DS3 doesn't bother with armor upgrades.

Could probably come up with more, but haven't recently replayed DS1 and DS2 after beating DS3, I definitely feel like DS2 is more similar to 3 than to 1. Also, I've never played Bloodborne, and probably never will

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

QuarkJets posted:

[*]DS3 Weapon arts are an evolution of the Power Stance system in DS2.

I wish, most of the weapon arts are just the boring short buffs and if they're not that, they're the stance with the same moves for whatever for the most part.

Powerstanced greatswords, bone fist and some others however were hilarious or awesome.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 5, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Some of those aren't quite so obviously from DS2 as you might think. In addition to what Yardbomb mentioned:
  • DS3's dual wielding is more likely a modification of Bloodborne code, since a few weapons in the latter had dedicated dual weapon movesets. In addition, DS2 had a distinct moveset for all weapons when held in the left hand (or so Tallgeese has said, and if there's anyone I trust on the internal workings of the Dark Souls games it's him), which DS3 visibly doesn't. No Majestic Greatsword for you.
  • DS3 hyperarmor isn't the same thing as DS2 hyperarmor. The former outright toggles some degree of old-style poise, while the latter just applies a multiplier to an existing old-style poise value.
  • DS3's hexes use values that aren't in the same place as the other appropriate values for spells, indicating that From used the variable set from DS1 which didn't have hexes.
  • DS2's scaling is unique in that it's independent of base weapon damage. DS1 and DS3 instead have scaling dependent on base weapon damage.
Most likely what happened is that From started with the DS1 engine and manually coded in various changes that they wanted to include from DS2 or Bloodborne.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

NGDBSS posted:

DS3's dual wielding is more likely a modification of Bloodborne code, since a few weapons in the latter had dedicated dual weapon movesets. In addition, DS2 had a distinct moveset for all weapons when held in the left hand (or so Tallgeese has said, and if there's anyone I trust on the internal workings of the Dark Souls games it's him), which DS3 visibly doesn't. No Majestic Greatsword for you.

Basically, everything a given weapon could do in DS2 when held in the right hand, left hand, two-handed, and when powerstanced was all laid out in each weapon's complete moveset.

This is why when I dual-wielded Keyblades, I had so many moves. I set my left-handed key to do rapier attacks while my right-handed key did others. When I powerstanced them together, my entire moveset changed, because DS2 was programmed with that possibility in mind.

Neither DS1 or 3 can do this. They both operate by going:

"OK, it's a curved sword, use curved sword moveset.

Also, assign a Moveset Override ID. This ID means replace moves XYZ with these special versions."

In DS1, Quelaag's Furysword had the basic curved sword moveset defined, but then they overwrote the whole thing with a separate moveset just for the flame trail.

I don't think I need to tell you how much more sane the DS2 approach is.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 5, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Don't take this the wrong way Tallgeese, because I appreciate your posts, but sometimes it really, really feels like you're complaining not because the game is bad but because it isn't fun to cheat in.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Gologle posted:

Don't take this the wrong way Tallgeese, because I appreciate your posts, but sometimes it really, really feels like you're complaining not because the game is bad but because it isn't fun to cheat in.

He's pointed out numerous times that it's MUCH easier to cheat in 1 and 3, and that's the problem. 2 was really difficult to hack, if I have understood correctly.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I never got the hate for DS2. I've always thought that it was the best game in the series (especially SotFS), just barely edging out DeS. DS3 takes so many steps backwards from DS2 in so many areas that I can't help but wonder if it's a matter of pride, like the A-team refuses to acknowledge that the B-team actually improved upon their game, so they decided to ignore those improvements.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Be careful if you're playing this on PC. A couple of people are reporting that hackers have been invading as Aldrich Faithful. The hackers then somehow kill Aldrich, so the host can't be invaded in that area anymore.

Orv
May 4, 2011

...! posted:

I never got the hate for DS2. I've always thought that it was the best game in the series (especially SotFS), just barely edging out DeS. DS3 takes so many steps backwards from DS2 in so many areas that I can't help but wonder if it's a matter of pride, like the A-team refuses to acknowledge that the B-team actually improved upon their game, so they decided to ignore those improvements.

At this point I'd settle for any discussion of DkS2 being bannable, it'd be an improvement.

PvP still hopping on PC for this? I didn't feel any need to do another back to back run because of the I'm sure discussed to death dearth of options due to progression layout, but I could do some dumb clusterfuck PvP.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I was invading as Wolf Watchdog covenant last night, and I think it is my favorite invasion. Too bad it is only really active around level 15 to 25. I just love how crazy the fighting gets with two or three friendly phantoms facing off against a single invader, but if the fight drags on, another Watchdog will invade. And then npc Yellowfinger Heysel invades. And then a crab swoops in and smashes everyone. Good times.

I have given up on being a ninja build and now try being as heavily armored as possible before hitting 100% burden. While the run animation changes at higher burden, the speed remains the same. Also fat roll still funniest roll. Just being a beefy son of a bitch than can hyperarmor through any hits works a lot better for me.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Buck Turgidson posted:

I wish you could touch the placed lord embers to replay the boss fights.

I wish those ashes would speak. Just a couple lines that changed with each ng+ would be so cool, even if they didn't give that much info, like if yhorm just growled or something.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Orv posted:

At this point I'd settle for any discussion of DkS2 being bannable, it'd be an improvement.

hmmm......... nah

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Dark Souls 2 and 3 both feel like they were contracted out to two different third-party development teams that had an idea what the games were about.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gologle posted:

Let me put it this way. For many people, the joy in Dark Souls is the joy of discovery. Right?

The problem is, there just isn't a lot of that in DS3 at all. A PVP meta was more or less figured out before the game was even released to the general public.

In terms of how stuff worked, DS1 stuff took awhile to figure out after it was first released on PC. However, since DS3 is extremely similar, there's not much to figure out except for nuPoise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

So did the latest patch break covenants again? I was getting constant summons for Aldritch Faithful, but now I'm getting nada.

Edit: nevermind. As soon I hit "post", I got summoned. Haha

Escape_GOAT fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 6, 2016