Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What's the music that plays in this scene in Christine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jG5wWl--zw

The song in the second half when she's fixing herself, with the guitar and saxophone, doesn't appear on the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfAv8yAaHps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One of the questions in our weekly trivia was 'Which movie sequel has the tag line "The Adventure Continues"?' Which none of us could put a finger on. Turns out the answer is 'The Empire Strikes Back', but I'm not surprised we couldn't recall this as 'The Star Wars Saga Continues' is the one used on every poster I can find.

IMDb and wiki quotes and places like that state 'Adventure' was in fact used, but I can't find it anywhere official. Anyone with massive Star Wars knowledge ever seen it? This is pure curiosity - we won regardless, not trying to claim back a point in a really tedious way!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

EL BROMANCE posted:

One of the questions in our weekly trivia was 'Which movie sequel has the tag line "The Adventure Continues"?' Which none of us could put a finger on. Turns out the answer is 'The Empire Strikes Back', but I'm not surprised we couldn't recall this as 'The Star Wars Saga Continues' is the one used on every poster I can find.

IMDb and wiki quotes and places like that state 'Adventure' was in fact used, but I can't find it anywhere official. Anyone with massive Star Wars knowledge ever seen it? This is pure curiosity - we won regardless, not trying to claim back a point in a really tedious way!
They're obviously confusing it with Kenny Rogers as The Gambler: The Adventure Continues (1983).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Apparently the tagline for the Star Tours experience was 'The Adventures Continue'

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I was listening to an eisode of The Canon on Evil Dead 2 today and Joe Lynch mentioned some Russian movie from the 50s that is appearantly pretty similar or at least was an influence for Raimi (a priest spends the night in his church and gets tormented by evil, jerky spirits). I think he said the name was The Vig but that title isn't really turning up anything. Anyone familiar with this?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

I was listening to an eisode of The Canon on Evil Dead 2 today and Joe Lynch mentioned some Russian movie from the 50s that is appearantly pretty similar or at least was an influence for Raimi (a priest spends the night in his church and gets tormented by evil, jerky spirits). I think he said the name was The Vig but that title isn't really turning up anything. Anyone familiar with this?

this maybe? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062453/
Viy

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SubG posted:

They're obviously confusing it with Kenny Rogers as The Gambler: The Adventure Continues (1983).

An easy mistake to make, we can all agree.

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Apparently the tagline for the Star Tours experience was 'The Adventures Continue'

Yeah I spotted that in my searches, my theory at the moment is this has somehow become accepted as one of the tag lines despite it never being used. I'm guessing the Star Tours attraction one being similar might have caused the confusion.

It's like 'Luke, I am your father' all over again!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That's it, thanks.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sync audio for a low-budget filmmaker in the 70s would've been a huge pain in the rear end ordeal involving reel-to-reel tapes, boom mics, and prayer (if you haven't seen Blow Out, please do so). Audio tech has gotten a LOT better since, especially with the advent of digital recorders and cheaper wireless mics, but there's still tons of ADR that goes on. I don't remember the number but from what I've heard the percentage of dialogue that you hear in a movie that's ADR is surprisingly high, even/especially on big budget movies.

It's about 75% in some cases.

Also in the 70s it was as simple as it was now. A recorder, some reels, a mic, and a guy to hold it. Easy. Sound could be muddy as hell but as long as you could make out the words you're fine.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

EL BROMANCE posted:

An easy mistake to make, we can all agree.

Yeah I spotted that in my searches, my theory at the moment is this has somehow become accepted as one of the tag lines despite it never being used. I'm guessing the Star Tours attraction one being similar might have caused the confusion.

I googled it too and Superman 2 came up a couple times. Prob more from SW2 though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I did a poster search for Superman 2 out of curiosity to see what it's tag was, and had to laugh when every single poster says 'The Adventure Continues' on it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Kind of funny that the two most famous lines from the two biggest Sci-Fi franchises of all time are both misquotes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Beam me up scotty, I presume, is the other one?

Either that or 'play it again, sam' and there's an alien subplot that's never been noticed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Space badges? We don't need no stinking space badges!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like all three of those have a similar mechanic contributing to their development as misquotes. Namely that their alterations increase "quotability". In the case of Star Trek and Star Wars, the name is added to clarify the quote. "One to beam up" and "No, I am your father" are both awkward and difficult to drop into conversation even where "relevant" and lack clear indication of being a pop-culture reference in the event that some isn't familiar with the quote.

In the case of Casablanca, "Play it once, Sam, for old time's sake" becomes simplified to "Play it again, Sam" so that it this reference can be made any time someone wants to hear a song again.

These "quotes" have functioned as memes, the evolution of which has favored variations which fare better in general conversation, regardless of their origin.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Do? It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it!"

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
In how far can a director (of a studio film) alter, or otherwise change, the film script as written?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Completely

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Dissapointed Owl posted:

In how far can a director (of a studio film) alter, or otherwise change, the film script as written?
as much as the producers and the studio allow him to. If they want to rewrite the ending or make some major fundamental change and the producer doesn't like it they just wouldn't allow it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Interesting, thanks guys.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also if the film got greenlit on the back of contracting a big star then the director would probably have to at least pass the changes by the star.

But yeah, there's a whoooooole bunch of movies which ended up fundamentally different to the original scripts. There's also scripts which were written for different projects that were brought into franchises with hardly more than a [find/replace] on the names, and films that were written as sequels to other films that lost the licence and had to suddenly morph into something slightly different.

Edit: And then there's films like I, Robot which lost the licence and they went "gently caress it, we've got Will Smith signed up, just changes the title and enough of the plot that we can't be accused of ripping them off" and then a bit later they get the licence back and they go "Eh, we're too far into pre-prod to change the plot back, just change the title back and that'll be good enough."

(At least that's the rumour I remember hearing at the time)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 5, 2016

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Good to know that I no longer have to hold the screenwriter solely responsible for tremendously lovely lines, if the director had the power to change it or even excise it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Good to know that I no longer have to hold the screenwriter solely responsible for tremendously lovely lines, if the director had the power to change it or even excise it.

There's the famous story of Arnie bringing in his own writer to rewrite all his dialogue as oneliner puns in Batman & Robin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTHtWX7CCY

There's also looooads of stories of writers getting their manuscripts greenlit and then being completely shut out of the filming process. They might get to visit the set if they're lucky but as soon as a director is signed the film becomes his/her baby and the writer usually has zero power.

There's also a mini industry in Hollywood of writers brought in specifically to "punch up" a script with snappier dialogue/jokes without receiving writing credits, Patton Oswalt has talked about it several times.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
And Quentin Tarantino in (I think) Crimson Tide.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Carrie Fisher and Joss Whedon were also script doctors back in the day.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

More of a distributor question: do theaters care about movie length? The two highest grossing films are both, err, Titanic 3hour epics, but also put butts in seats, when they could have shown 2 slasher sequels in the same time

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

More of a distributor question: do theaters care about movie length? The two highest grossing films are both, err, Titanic 3hour epics, but also put butts in seats, when they could have shown 2 slasher sequels in the same time

I guess they've got some calculation that balances hype/pre-sales/projected box office legs over the length of the movie. You'll note that out of the top 50 grossing movies worldwide that all of them are over 2hrs long and most are closer to the 2.5 hr mark or even higher except for the animated kids movies (all of which stay very close to the 90 minutes mark) and the 2010 Alice in Wonderland which no one really expected to get onto that list so it's a bizarre anomaly anyway.

I guess one of the payoffs is that if people know they're in for a 3hr film they're more likely to stock up at the concessions stand which is pretty much the theater's main concern anyway.

Also no one's going to tell James Cameron that he has to cut a half hour out of his latest movie so the theaters can squeeze in an extra session of Ice Age 12. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LesterGroans posted:

Carrie Fisher and Joss Whedon were also script doctors back in the day.

The proto-Whedon scripts in Roseanne are really noticeable once you know he wrote a bunch of episodes. Even characters like Becky become zinger machines with pop culture references abound.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

If a movie is really long it'll mess with theater scheduling. One recent example was Gangs of Wasseypur which was shot to be one film and was shown that way in some areas but in India it was chopped in two because no theater wanted to show something nearly 5.5 hours long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's the famous story of Arnie bringing in his own writer to rewrite all his dialogue as oneliner puns in Batman & Robin.

There's also looooads of stories of writers getting their manuscripts greenlit and then being completely shut out of the filming process. They might get to visit the set if they're lucky but as soon as a director is signed the film becomes his/her baby and the writer usually has zero power.

There's also a mini industry in Hollywood of writers brought in specifically to "punch up" a script with snappier dialogue/jokes without receiving writing credits, Patton Oswalt has talked about it several times.

Will Smith is pretty infamous for having his own set of screenwriters that he brings along to every movie and rewrite his parts to stay on brand. That was part of the reason he dropped out of Django Unchained, he wanted to be the one who killed Candie but QT wouldn't budge.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Those aren't even the best possible lines he could've said either. :(

But you know Arnie...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86-vveE9DI4

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Will Smith is pretty infamous for having his own set of screenwriters that he brings along to every movie and rewrite his parts to stay on brand. That was part of the reason he dropped out of Django Unchained, he wanted to be the one who killed Candie but QT wouldn't budge.

I like Will Smith, but this is why its hard to take him seriously as an actor, rather than just considering him an entertainer. He basically plays 80% of his characters the exact same on purpose. I haven't seen Ali or Concussion, but I also dont have any reason to think he can pull off serious roles like that.

Nothing really wrong with it, I guess.

Holy poo poo at not understanding what Django is about though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ali was good. Smith was decent in that. It helped that Ali was a showboat and like to talk himself up, so Smith was perfect for the role.

Concussion was the definition of Oscar bait. Such a pointless movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Snak posted:

I haven't seen Ali or Concussion, but I also dont have any reason to think he can pull off serious roles like that.

He can.

I mean, I get not respecting someone who cares more about their brand or image than anything else, but he's not the first actor to be like that. And he's most certainly an actor.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

He can.

I mean, I get not respecting someone who cares more about their brand or image than anything else, but he's not the first actor to be like that. And he's most certainly an actor.

I didn't say I don't respect him. I think Will Smith is great at what he does, but a part of what he does is maintaining a Will Smith persona that he brings to most of his characters. And no, he's not even close to the only person to do something like this. I don't care about Concussion, but I should probably watch Ali.

I'm also afraid that he will steal the spotlight from Martin Lawrence in Bad Boys 3 (and apparently they are planning a 4th one?).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Snak posted:

I didn't say I don't respect him. I think Will Smith is great at what he does, but a part of what he does is maintaining a Will Smith persona that he brings to most of his characters. And no, he's not even close to the only person to do something like this. I don't care about Concussion, but I should probably watch Ali.

I'm also afraid that he will steal the spotlight from Martin Lawrence in Bad Boys 3 (and apparently they are planning a 4th one?).

Yeah, check out Ali. And I don't disagree with you regarding his range, but there are certain actors you hire to pretty much be who they are and that's perfectly fine.

Bad Boys 2 was a fairly even split, wasn't it? I mean, Smith pretty much naturally steals the spotlight from Lawrence regardless, but I don't think he necessarily gets a better written part.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, check out Ali. And I don't disagree with you regarding his range, but there are certain actors you hire to pretty much be who they are and that's perfectly fine.
Yeah and there's nothing wrong with that. In my original comment I was was trying imply that I thought of him more as a talented entertainer (who is an actor) than a talented actor, if that makes sense.

quote:

Bad Boys 2 was a fairly even split, wasn't it? I mean, Smith pretty much naturally steals the spotlight from Lawrence regardless, but I don't think he necessarily gets a better written part.
Yeah, I mean I'm afraid that his character will be written as more of the main character. Martin Lawrence is the lead in Bad Boys 1, and still arguably the main character in BB2, even though you're right, it's much more of an even split. I'm basically worried that Will Smith's star power will continued to shift the focus towards his character in the franchise. If it stays an even balance, that would be great. Bad Boys 2 rules.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 6, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Concussion wasn't a great movie, but thought Smith did a pretty great job in the role. Would've probably gotten bored if a lesser actor played the lead, to be honest.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

Concussion got pretty heavily sanitized in the rewriting stage but I think it's still worth watching. Ali is a stone-cold classic.

And really, if you want to talk about actors that just bring their own persona to their characters, then the textbook example is post-'80s Al Pacino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
there's something seriously wrong with people that don't like Will Smith, idgaf if he's a scientologist