Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetricUnit
Jan 2, 2005
Finally picked up a 1070 to replace my 270x and I'm looking for an upgrade for my Dell U2414H.

I do equal parts gaming and web app development so I'd love to pick up something at 34" 1440p but it seems like the only option with gsync is the X34/LG equivalent at $1200 or I can lose the gsync and pick up a Dell U3415W for only $744. Is there something I'm missing or is the only difference that the X34 has gsync and claims to overclock to 100hz and the Dell usually only overclocks to 85hz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarDmw
Mar 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm really looking forward to a 1080TI and Acer X34P when those come out, but in the meantime I'm getting a GTX 1070 and flipping that when the 1080TI comes out.

My question then becomes what GSYNC 144hz 1080p IPS monitor should I get? An XB271HU (1440p) seems kind of wasteful because it'd be sidelined by my eventual purchase of the X34P (if that turns out to be good as expected). That way I wouldn't feel as guilty as putting a 1080p monitor as a secondary.

Edit: Welp, nothing like that exists. The venn diagram intersection of 1080p, gsync, high hz rate, and ips nets nothing. I guess my intersection is best at 1080p + gsync then.

NarDmw fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 2, 2016

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Can anyone recommend or recommend against either of these monitors? Or preferably make the best recommendation for a 27" 1080p IPS monitor sub ~$180?

LG 27MP58VQ-P Black 27" 5ms IPS Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor HDMI 1920 x 1080

vs.

ASUS MX279H Silver / Black 27" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor, IPS Panel 250 cd/m2 80,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

stevewm posted:

Is there a 27"-32" 4k IPS GLOSSY monitor out there somewhere?

I believe so: https://youtu.be/DQn45LSVTHQ

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any final thoughts on the Acer XB270HU vs. XB271HU? I don't intend to overclock so I would favor the first one, although some user complaints about dead pixels and RMA have me worried for such an expensive monitor. Just wanted to see if other people were rocking these for 2k gaming with gsync. I could have sworn I saw an ASUS model in the same range a few days ago but now it seems to have vanished.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Any final thoughts on the Acer XB270HU vs. XB271HU? I don't intend to overclock so I would favor the first one, although some user complaints about dead pixels and RMA have me worried for such an expensive monitor. Just wanted to see if other people were rocking these for 2k gaming with gsync. I could have sworn I saw an ASUS model in the same range a few days ago but now it seems to have vanished.

The XB271 has a non intrusive bezel which is a huge plus in my book

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

So those of you who remember my search for an affordable 144Hz before in Japan, I have some good news, and some bad news.

Good news: I bought a cheap 40-120Hz FreeSync monitor!

Bad news: It's TN. I've been using IPS exclusively for over a decade.

Worst news: I NEED A GOOD 144HZ MONITOR NOW and I am willing to eat the massive markup to have it. :(

Having 144Hz in my home, with my hardware, with my games, is something none of the store demos did for me. The hype is real, and unfortunate for my pocket, and still conflicts with my desire for 4K. :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

exquisite tea posted:

The XB271HU panel is a newer version. What that means practically, I don't know. Maybe response times are lower.

Also, apparently AUO is an Acer subsidiary. You'd think that the chances for bad panels are lower with Acer than Asus.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

The XB271HU panel is a newer version. What that means practically, I don't know. Maybe response times are lower.

Also, apparently AUO is an Acer subsidiary. You'd think that the chances for bad panels are lower with Acer than Asus.

The 271 seems to have a lower defect rate too, I'm guessing they made some improvements to the manufacturing process for the panel at about the same time that they released the 271.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Is there any reason I should not overclock my XB271HU?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The 271 seems to have a lower defect rate too, I'm guessing they made some improvements to the manufacturing process for the panel at about the same time that they released the 271.
I sure hope so, because I have my second display ordered and on the way.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

drat Amazon, some too-good-to-be-true monitor deals are blatant scams, asking you to e-mail them directly. From sellers that have 99.8% positive feedback or whatever, crazy.

Arikie
May 3, 2012

Protect the future?
Does anyone have anything to say about the Pixo PX277 27-inch 2560x1440 on Amazon? It seems too good to be true and I'm having trouble finding reviews. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPDAF68/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HIMVBWICC4GV&coliid=IK8R5A0JI710X

The only relevant things google got me relating to pixio monitors seems to be amazon and the website itself https://www.buypixio.com/products/px277. I might just be awful at searching but I can't seem to find a review for it.

I do plan on using it with an AMD card if I get it.

I suspect there is something wrong with the Pixio so I'm probably going to end up buying an Acer XG270HU instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XG270HU...ync+1440p+144hz

I plan to use it for Gaming and light video and graphics work. It's been a very long time since I have bought a monitor so I'm trying to get as much research and as many second opinions as possible.
I'm trying to spend less then $500

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Arikie posted:

Does anyone have anything to say about the Pixo PX277 27-inch 2560x1440 on Amazon? It seems too good to be true and I'm having trouble finding reviews. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPDAF68/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HIMVBWICC4GV&coliid=IK8R5A0JI710X

The only relevant things google got me relating to pixio monitors seems to be amazon and the website itself https://www.buypixio.com/products/px277. I might just be awful at searching but I can't seem to find a review for it.

I do plan on using it with an AMD card if I get it.

I suspect there is something wrong with the Pixio so I'm probably going to end up buying an Acer XG270HU instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XG270HU...ync+1440p+144hz

I plan to use it for Gaming and light video and graphics work. It's been a very long time since I have bought a monitor so I'm trying to get as much research and as many second opinions as possible.
I'm trying to spend less then $500
Considering that the product images look photoshopped, I'd say it probably is too good to be true.

edit: After a closer look, that Pixio monitor is definitely a scam.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 2, 2016

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What should I look for to make sure my refurbed XB271HU is in good working order? I don't really know how to look for BLB and dead pixels.

edit: Oh and some instructions on what to do with G-Sync, V-Sync, etc. I've seen plenty of stuff on it, but it wasn't very organized. You'd think there would be a best practice guide somewhere.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Pretty sure it's less a scam and more just a new Korean company trying to hop on the cheap Korean monitor train. Their website is owned by a patchwork a global, which appears to be a Korean case and accessories manufacturer (their website offers only English and Korean la fuse options, at any rate).

Not saying you should or shouldn't buy it tho.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do you notice significant color banding on gradients on your S2716DG after tweaking its colors, especially gamma, away from default?

I finally got around to testing this today. You can notice it if you look for it, but I have never noticed it in game.

It's subtle enough that taking a picture to show it didn't really work.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Hey monitor thread, a quick question:

If I have one of those Korean 1440p specials, is it possible to replace the display board with something like this to make a hacky 144Hz/Freesync monitor on the cheap? The original board is a single dual-link DVI at 60Hz, with what I'm assuming is a standard LVDS connector (haven't opened it up yet to check). The labelled board on that link also says "DP out," I wonder if Freesync is tied to that output and not compatible with LVDS.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
No idea on the FreeSync part, but note this from the specs:

QHD 2560x1600 @60HZ /FHD 144Hz

To me that says it'll only do 60 at full resolution and 144 is limited to 1080p.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Good catch, maybe 120Hz at 1440p is possible if I play around with the timings and overclock it like those Catleaps.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Combat Pretzel posted:

I ended up getting the XB271HU. So excited to pair this with my similarly expensive-rear end 980ti all for the privilege of not having stuttering frames. Conspicuous consumption at its finest!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is G sync needed on a 1080p monitor with a 1070?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No harm in enabling it. Should a game chug for whatever reason after all, it'll do so smoothly.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I was just wondering because I don't really feel like dripping $600-700 on a 1440p monitor right now, and I think how close I sit that a 27 inch monitor would require too much eye movement so I figure I'll stay at 1080p for now. And gsync seems like it might be overkill at 1080p.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The only problem with GSync at 1080p is that all the GSync 1080p monitors are TN and use crappy ancient TN panels at that. You're basically forced into 1440p+ if you want a high quality high refresh screen.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's tough to justify $600-800 on a screen imo. Just wish they were closer to $500.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

It's tough to justify $600-800 on a screen imo. Just wish they were closer to $500.

On the contrary, I managed to justify it to myself pretty easily - it's the component of your PC that you use 100% of the time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
They outlast everything else and you use them constantly. Peripherals in general are absolutely one of the best places to spend your money. No matter what GPU you buy, it will be garbage in two years, but a good monitor will still be useful six years from now, even if only as a second or third screen. They actually hold some semblance of value too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Every single interaction you have with your computer involves looking at the monitor. Optimize the common case. The nice thing about modern gaming screens is they're also very good to excellent literally everything else on your computer screens (especially the ultrawides if you get a good deal to bring them down to reasonably priced).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xthetenth posted:

Every single interaction you have with your computer involves looking at the monitor. Optimize the common case. The nice thing about modern gaming screens is they're also very good to excellent literally everything else on your computer screens (especially the ultrawides if you get a good deal to bring them down to reasonably priced).

I'd be uncomfortable buying a gaming ultrawide as a general purpose monitor right now - once you're used to a high DPI display you'd never go back for text-heavy usage.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dissss posted:

I'd be uncomfortable buying a gaming ultrawide as a general purpose monitor right now - once you're used to a high DPI display you'd never go back for text-heavy usage.

Just get a 1440 ultrawide.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Just get a 1440 ultrawide.

Those are the ones I'm talking about - they look a lot worse than a cheaper 27" 4k panel for a lot of stuff.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If I'm having red pixel glitter on HDMI at 1440p at 60hz, the cable is inadequate, right? With 1080p at 50hz it doesn't do that. The display works fine over DisplayPort. This is my second display and my card only has one DP, so I have to drive it over HDMI for a while.

Also, for some reason I can't run it at 48hz over HDMI, which I wanted to for movies, until the new card arrives. It's a XB271HU.

--edit: This is my second XB271HU and it doesn't have any pixel errors either. Got lucky I guess. I have nightshift and it's summer, so opinions of the BLB and glow are out until the weekend.

--edit2: Indeed. Picked up a new cheap-rear end HDMI cable tagged 4K capable and the glitter is gone.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 5, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xthetenth posted:

Every single interaction you have with your computer involves looking at the monitor.

I'll have you know I access my desktop remotely over the network all the time. :colbert:

Seriously though I completely agree, a good monitor is probably the best long-term investment you can make as far as computer hardware.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Those are the ones I'm talking about - they look a lot worse than a cheaper 27" 4k panel for a lot of stuff.

The better value is to buy something like the Wasabi Mango 40" 4k, it's less money than any 1440p ultrawide and if you force it into 21:9 it'd be about the same viewable area as a 32" 1440p at slightly higher resolution.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

dissss posted:

I've got a surface with a high DPI display and it's nice, but 1440p is good enough it never annoys me as much as not having the huge working space of an ultrawide. I wouldn't say no to a 2160 pixel tall ultrawide and may end up with one deep in the future but I don't consider it necessary the way I consider having an ultrawide 1440.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
What are the chances of getting a decent XB270HU? I honestly dislike how the XB271HU looks and I would get it only because of better quality control. A refurb XB270HU for $400 seems like a good price and 120hz is plenty.

I currently have a Dell ultrawide but I still have a itch to witness firsthand what a high refresh g sync monitor feels like.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Green Gloves posted:

What are the chances of getting a decent XB270HU? I honestly dislike how the XB271HU looks and I would get it only because of better quality control. A refurb XB270HU for $400 seems like a good price and 120hz is plenty.

I currently have a Dell ultrawide but I still have a itch to witness firsthand what a high refresh g sync monitor feels like.

If you swap out the stand on the XB271HU and put a piece of electrical tape over the badge it looks pretty non-descript.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
So am I the only one that can barely tell the difference between a 60 Hz monitor (V-sync off) and a 144 Hz monitor (G-sync on)?

If I turn V-sync on at 60 Hz, mouse movement becomes noticeably sluggish, but with V-sync off it's not terribly different from 144 Hz. It's maybe slightly easier to track moving targets with the 144 Hz monitor, but the difference is very subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

NoDamage posted:

So am I the only one that can barely tell the difference between a 60 Hz monitor (V-sync off) and a 144 Hz monitor (G-sync on)?

If I turn V-sync on at 60 Hz, mouse movement becomes noticeably sluggish, but with V-sync off it's not terribly different from 144 Hz. It's maybe slightly easier to track moving targets with the 144 Hz monitor, but the difference is very subtle.

Even at the desktop? The mouse cursor alone should be night and day.