Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I just made a guy in SIMP with a Scorpion super salty because he thought he could chase my m12. Head on.

If I didn't shotgun him I would have ram-killed him.

Ram-killed a 304 in the game too, made him even saltier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Strv 74

Queue:
StuG 40 in post-war service

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
Christie Combat Car T1 and Convertible Medium Tank T3
M3 Stuart
M3 Stuart in the USSR

:britain:
17-pdr
Medium Tank Mk.II

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
T-60
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks
Strv 74

:poland:
7TP
TK-3/TKS

:japan:
SR tanks
Type 95

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35 NEW

:godwin:
PzIII Ausf. A

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Long long ago I grinded through the AMX 40. It was ok, but the game was in a different place then, when armor wasn't completely useless and gold couldn't just be bought for silver. I remember kicking the poo poo out of some tier 5 that failed to penetrate me.

Also had two light tanks try to do a circle of death on me, but were so focused on me that they didn't pay attention to each other and managed to slam face-first into each other.

They also failed to do even a point of damage. So bascially:

Blindeye posted:

People see an AMX 40 and start tripping over themselves to kill you. Aggro players into going full retard.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Hazdoc posted:

The AMX40 seems to be made of invincible. Even if the gun isn't good, holy jesus does it bounce shells. Only damage I took that match was from HE by a Matilda as we stared at each other, unable to pen the other (or get behind each other). I imagine this only works when you're top tier, of course. And if people decide not to shoot gold.

AMX 40 is the only tank I literally pointed into the middle of a map and hit rrrr then alt-tabbed for a couple minutes at the beginning of every match. This was before physics so I didn't have to worry about hitting some weird bit of terrain and flipping over or crashing. If it was still alive when I came back then my team was either winning big or multiple teir 2 tanks were trying frantically to pen me from any angle. I somehow managed to win 60% of my games in it.

I will go out of my way to kill any AMX 40 I see, no matter the costs to myself, just to let them play another tank sooner.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

JuffoWup posted:

So what is everyone's opinion on the french b1 (or is it the b2)? Last time I remember looking, it had worse armor and an even worse gun. It was kind of funny to note that the amx40 is pretty bad as a medium, but it was still a better heavy compared to the actual heavy.
The B1 is a fun little heavy if you fire pure APCR. The stock shells are useless except against the squishiest of Tier III tanks.

The B2, the premium German variant, has super-pref MM so it's always top tier which makes it a hilarious seal-clubber especially in a platoon.

The Valentine II comparable and is the preferred "scumbag trainer" for [CIA] ever since the Tier III MM nerf.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I played through the AMX 40 back when it saw tier 7s. I just sat in an out of the way bush and insulted the other team if I got into a tier 7 match.

Also, [CIA] is literally the worst. All of the time they spend stat-padding can't compensate for the minimal time they spend stat-badding.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't think I free XPed the AMX 40. I think the Type 94 was the first tank to have that honor, aside from some super early tanks that I would free xp through the last little bit on 5x after getting the first win. That way I could get 5x on the higher tier tanks more often. Even in the days of clan gold, we said never to free xp into tanks, free xp the modules that make it playable.

Speaking of which, I dread having to buy enough gold to convert free xp for the E-50s tracks, turret, and gun. I already spent all my free xp on the tracks and gun for the 40/43.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
The e50 is worth your money

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm sure it is, I've been looking forward to it.

At least I've got plenty of time to budget for it, since I have 100,000 credits and a normal account currently.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

celewign posted:

The e50 is worth your money

It's one of the very few tier 9s that I kept. I sold the Conq. I sold the WZ-111 1-4. I sold the E-75. I hate playing tier 9s - but I kept the E-50.

the tank is great.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
I just came back after +2 years and holy crap the czech tanks are awesome.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Why do you hate playing T9? They're the only <10s that stand a chance of destroying a T10 by themselves. I prefer T9 to 8 by a long shot.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why do you hate playing T9? They're the only <10s that stand a chance of destroying a T10 by themselves. I prefer T9 to 8 by a long shot.

Tier 10 matches are atrocious, and if you're in a tier 9 platoon and don't get a tier 10 match, you're the top 3 in a tier 9 match where you basically can't lose because you badly outclass everything you'll face. I don't particularly enjoy matches where I can't lose.

Szcwczuk posted:

I just came back after +2 years and holy crap the czech tanks are awesome.

The tier 6 is great, the tier 9 and 10 are overpowered, but the tier 7 is bad and the tier 8 is horrible. Good luck!

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Hellsau posted:

The tier 6 is great, the tier 9 and 10 are overpowered, but the tier 7 is bad and the tier 8 is horrible. Good luck!

I'm on the T 25 right now What makes the 34/100 so bad? It looks like it should be kinda ok.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Szcwczuk posted:

I'm on the T 25 right now What makes the 34/100 so bad? It looks like it should be kinda ok.

Unreliable gun and no big advantages to make up for it, while still retaining the usual Czech weakness of poor armor and low HP.

The tier 8 is so bad that you're better off using the stock turret and not using the top gun so that you can get some DPM and gun depression.

e: I was just looking at the 34/100 on tanks.gg - does it really only carry 30 rounds? Holy poo poo, I never noticed that on the test server. gently caress that.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 4, 2016

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Hellsau posted:

Unreliable gun and no big advantages to make up for it, while still retaining the usual Czech weakness of poor armor and low HP.

The tier 8 is so bad that you're better off using the stock turret and not using the top gun so that you can get some DPM and gun depression.

Well gently caress at least the 9 and 10 are good.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So in the EU preium shop this month is:

ULTIMATE BOOSTER BUNDLE
50×PERSONAL RESERVES: X2 XP FOR 2 HOURS;50×PERSONAL RESERVES: X2 CREW XP FOR 2 HOURS.
258.96 kr (27.50 € ) Claims to be half off.

Yet on the test server you can buy these reserves for 50g each. 100 * 50 = 5000g

If I buy gold in the closest amount I get
5,500 GOLD
188.24 kr (19.99 € )

Which is half the price of the "special" price or a quarter of the "normal" price. Are the values on the test server just test values? If so, what will the real values be? Or is this a blatant ripoff that WG are too stupid to hide? Did no one think players seeing the test server store would compare the prices? Even if the test server values are placeholders, did no one think to make a statement about it while trying to sell the bundle?:psyboom:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I wish soccer tanks would stay forever.

Also, I wish regular tanks was as fun as soccer tanks.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Oh my the T 25 is really fun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

NotWearingPants posted:

I wish soccer tanks would stay forever.

Also, I wish regular tanks was as fun as soccer tanks.

I'm terrible at soccer tanks. I did get my first two goals out of three games in the last one, though. It would have been a tie if one of our players was AFK until I asked everyone to report him.

The 40/43 on the other hand, I kind of like. That was my first game with the 8-inch gun, it felt like the S-51 days of old.

Related, what skills should I get first on artillery? My 40/43 crew is almost to 100% on their first skill.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
40/43 is the reason I haven't ducked out of the artillery tree yet, and I'm still way down at the tier 4. I want that Long Tom, with the pedigree and the reputation and that very distinctive machinery.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Camo is probably the safest bet, then retrain to BiA when you can. Pretty much everything else (save maybe the gun handling skills in edge cases?) is useless for arty.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, that's what I was figuring. Sixth sense seems kind of useless because by the time you get spotted, you either know they are there and are already aiming or you're dead.

Equipment is camo / rammer / GLD, right?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
When guides say to "retrain" or "drop for", what the hell does that mean? I'm only just starting to get to crews who are actually learning skills.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Redeye Flight posted:

When guides say to "retrain" or "drop for", what the hell does that mean? I'm only just starting to get to crews who are actually learning skills.
Many of the crew skills are so-called perks instead of skills. The difference is that perks - such as Sixth Sense and BiA - don't do a drat thing until they're up to 100%. Skills like Camo or Repair however start working right away, just at reduced capacity until they reach 100%.

So the idea is that instead of just having a partially trained perk doing nothing while you gather XP, you pick something that will be of some use in the meanwhile. Then use the "drop skills and perks" retraining option to switch to a perk once you have enough XP that you'll have it running right away.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Redeye Flight posted:

It means having your crew member unlearn all his skills so you get the experience back and can select new skills. This is useful because perks are only active when trained to 100%, so you can train repairs to 100% then drop that skill and pick up sixth sense and start repairs from 0% again.

You can do it for free for a 20% experience loss (the only situation you'll ever do this is when you picked the wrong skill for your first skill and it has very little experience), for credits for a 10% loss (has very limited use), and for gold for no loss.

One thing is that you should never, ever do it for credits unless you're really on a tight budget and just need to pick up sixth sense/safe stowage when they're just starting their second skills. Even if you're on a budget you should make room and wait for a sale when retraining skills past that point. The amount of crew experience per skill grows exponentially, which means the amount of experience you lose when credit retraining does too.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

retraining is expensive. just pick the ones you want right away.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

Szcwczuk posted:

Oh my the T 25 is really fun.

Yes the T25 is p good

Also it feels great to be playing Warframe instead of this game y'all.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I did one battle on a new Church III with 5x and personal reserves on. I landed two shots and the crew went from 50% to 69%

Prav posted:

retraining is expensive. just pick the ones you want right away.

If you want to retrain a commander from camo (or repairs) to 6th sense, you usually only lose around 5-10 battles of crew xp if you do the silver credit retrain. (that's just an estimate. I haven't run the numbers.)

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 4, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

primelaw posted:

Also it feels great to be playing Warframe instead of this game y'all.

now it's been over two years since i last played wf but i still find this hard to believe

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Prav posted:

now it's been over two years since i last played wf but i still find this hard to believe
So you've missed stuff like Parkour 2.0, shotgun buffs and Excalibur's new anime supersword.

Warframe owns.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm terrible at soccer tanks. I did get my first two goals out of three games in the last one, though. It would have been a tie if one of our players was AFK until I asked everyone to report him.

I have become quite good thanks to repetition, which is a contrast to my regular tank skills. I've got several win streaks in the high teens, and I think I am probably at around a 80% win rate.

I seem to be the only goon that really likes soccer tanks, but I'll share my observations and advice. Some of it may be obvious to those who have played more than a few games.

The optimal strategy is 2 digging in the corners and one goalie/sniper.

On defense the goalie should play near post (the corner of the goal on the ball side) and only shoot the ball when it is coming along the end rail or he has a definite clearing shot. If you shoot the ball while it is in the corner you are only going to gently caress up the guys digging it out and you risk not having a shot ready if the other team pops it up the end rail. On offense the goalie should move up to at least midfield, close to the sideline with the ball, horizontal to the length of the field, facing the field. Once again, don't shoot the ball as the forwards dig it out from corner unless you have a really good shot. You may just gently caress them up, and if they do get a cross you want to have a shot ready to put it home.

When digging the corners on offense or defense, use your tank to advance the ball whenever possible. That gives you two touches instead of one. Hit the ball with your tank, then shoot it once you've moved it a bit. If you just sit in front of it waiting for reload, someone else is going to shoot it.

Equipment: vertical stabilizer, rammer, toolbox or vents.
Skills: repairs, clutch braking, BIA, smooth ride. (clutch braking makes a HUGE difference)

Random notes:
- Use your brakes and the new sliding physics for quick 180s.
- Don't shoot the ball just to shoot. Save your shot for something better if it isn't going to make a difference.
- There is a natural inclination to shoot the ball to the center towards the goal, but 2-3 shots along the rail will send it around the corner to the front of the goal.
- Shoot the ball off your teammates, especially when they are stopped with the ball right next to them, for extra style points.
- When two opponents are racing close together, shoot the tracks on the first tank to make them crash into each other.
- In general, don't shoot tracks. It's a waste of a shot. Only do it when you won't have a shot for a while anyway, like when you are racing back on defense, or if you are doing it for comedy.
- When you go up the rail while advancing the ball, brake a little so you don't outrun the ball.
- If you get one of those morons that spends the game tracking you and crashing into you, don't get frustrated or annoyed: you have taken one of their players out of the game, and they don't really affect you much.

edit, one more: If you platoon, expect to see longer wait times for matches and better competition.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 5, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Nordick posted:

So you've missed stuff like Parkour 2.0, shotgun buffs and Excalibur's new anime supersword.

Warframe owns.

genuinely hard to believe. but everything's still broken constantly, right?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I didn't run into many bugs. Excalibur is basically Trunks now, parkour is more natural and less GunZ K-Style, and at least when I quit playing last year the Hek was ridiculous. With the mods I had on it a single shot would ragdoll a lot of enemies so hard they would just fly out of the map. I could tell if I needed to shoot again by whether or not I could see the enemy anymore.

What's the mod that helps auto-aim not suck so hard? Is it just the one that lets you auto-aim through objects, or is there something else? And is it in Aslain's mod pack? I couldn't find it.

E: Oh, I could also kill 3-4 people with each shot of the Hek even on later planets. Empty all 4-6 rounds (depending on mods) and an entire hallway formerly flooded with enemies would be clear.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 5, 2016

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Prav posted:

genuinely hard to believe. but everything's still broken constantly, right?

Not really? I play warframe as well, can confirm that the game owns.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Jesus, the grind for Sixth Sense on my Leopard commander is real. I got a Mark of Excellence on it, though, which is pretty cool. I'm having varied amounts of success with the tank, the autoloader is the gun I use. You can't really see the mark on that tiny gun, unfortunately. Getting lots of complaints (from ELC and T67 drivers no less) of "spamming" and "no skill". Its my job to track you, ELC, so my TDs can put you out of THEIR misery. You're the real annoying one, not me.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

e: I was just looking at the 34/100 on tanks.gg - does it really only carry 30 rounds? Holy poo poo, I never noticed that on the test server. gently caress that.

It's fine, you'll never get the chance to shoot 30 rounds in it anyways.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

T59 has barely over 30 shells, too.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Except with the type you'll frequently run out of shells in games weighted towards tier 9s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not good enough to run out, but I remember I did a few times back before I won for three years.

It's weird, I seem to have a much better WR without a platoon than with one. Does platooning influence MM?

Maybe it's because I'm so chatty in a platoon and have better situational awareness solo.