Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

If you don't understand football tactics, downloading a ridiculously over-complicated powergaming tactic with no resemblance to real life football is a poor starting point.

The 4-2-3-1 with three players in the AM line is not something that is used in real life except in exceptional circumstances, when teams are desperate to score and usually hoofing long balls upfield.

It looks and feels kinda like how Arsenal line up. Our wingers are clearly more wide forwards than traditional wingers. I've had tons of success with a 3 man AML/C/R this version.

Or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
4-2-3-1 with 3 attacking midfielders is pretty much the 'standard' formation in real life. :shrug:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jyrka posted:

4-2-3-1 with 3 attacking midfielders is pretty much the 'standard' formation in real life. :shrug:

"Formation" irl isn't formation in the game. Mechanically it's not the same thing.

The formation you set in FM is specifically your team's Defensive Shape. A vanishingly small number of teams attempt to defend in a 4-2-3-1.

An 4-2-3-1 attacking shape can be created with a wide range of formations with better defensive capability, via player roles and duties.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Most teams irl defend in a 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1 or 4-V-1 formation, all of which can create a "4-2-3-1" in attack.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

A 4231 in the game works well if you don't worry about actual defending and just press really high up because your players are just better and faster than the competition but otherwise you either need more support on the wings or through the center when defending

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Are you all using different tactics when you're away? I wanted to go with a deeper 4312 or 442 and counter but I can't seem to make either work.

I don't tend to use different tactics specifically for away games, but just for more difficult games or if I want to cede possession. Had a bit of luck with a 433 with a DM and 2 wingers, and also a 4132 where the 3 are all central playmakers.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You can get away with a 442 if you've got good players. Defend Deep, with Attacking mentality, look for overlaps and hope to hell your Full Backs can get back if you lose possession.
My Wingers score 0.4 goals/game because Back Post defending is still terrible, and my main goalscorers get about 0.8 goals/game, more than that if they're excellent.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

442 is the only formation that consistently scores at least a goal per game against my 4231 and it's brutally frustrating

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
4-2-3-1 works okay in the game because the match engine is a mess of compromises and confusion, and the game isn't especially hard to brute force with good players, and you can easily happen upon a set of instructions that exploits something or other in the code (which is what all these downloadable tactics with a hundred instructions are trying to accomplish). And it's not that far from a strong, sensible formation like 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 at the end of the day; it's just a few players 10 or 20 yards too far up the pitch when defending.

If you're actually trying to understand what you're doing and why it's working (or not), using that formation is a bad starting point. It's not football as you see it irl. Even a high press involves tracking back.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

4-2-3-1 works okay in the game because the match engine is a mess of compromises and confusion, and the game isn't especially hard to brute force with good players, and you can easily happen upon a set of instructions that exploits something or other in the code (which is what all these downloadable tactics with a hundred instructions are trying to accomplish). And it's not that far from a strong, sensible formation like 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 at the end of the day; it's just a few players 10 or 20 yards too far up the pitch when defending.

If you're actually trying to understand what you're doing and why it's working (or not), using that formation is a bad starting point. It's not football as you see it irl. Even a high press involves tracking back.

Is there a match engine equivalent of Inside Forward - Attack but from the ML/R positions? That's the main reason I like a 4231, because I can't get players to behave like that if they start further back.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I like how my wingers and full backs literally can't cross from the byline. Right footed players playing on the right side will run to the byline, do a 90 degree turn to face the center circle, try to pass it with their right foot, right into the defender tracking him who manages to boot it clear.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ragingsheep posted:

I like how my wingers and full backs literally can't cross from the byline. Right footed players playing on the right side will run to the byline, do a 90 degree turn to face the center circle, try to pass it with their right foot, right into the defender tracking him who manages to boot it clear.

I have no idea what's going on with your team because like 60% of my goals are from crosses from the byline

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

Is there a match engine equivalent of Inside Forward - Attack but from the ML/R positions? That's the main reason I like a 4231, because I can't get players to behave like that if they start further back.

It depends what you envisage IF-A as being, and how the rest of your team is shaped. Personally I've had Winger-Support and Winger-Attack provide great goalscoring returns as movement narrows in the final third regardless of instruction. With a lone striker in the ST or AM position, they can score a lot of goals approaching from wide areas.

Conventional thinking was that Wide Midfielder - Attack (with instructions to come inside with the ball) was the deeper equivalent of IF-A, but I found they narrowed too early in play to be useful.

Generally though, IF-A is a main striker role, staying high and drifting out into channels when your team doesn't have the ball. You can either create a defensive version of it that doesn't offer the same outlet, or use a better overall system to utilise it effectively.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I thought 4-4-2 was basically dead irl

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

Iceland play it. As did Leicester at times last season.

The 4-4-2 shape is more flexible than it's given credit for. Defending in two banks of 4 is cool and good and common still, and you can create a range of attacking shapes from that starting point.

Two strikers is coming back into fashion.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Waroduce posted:

It's all them forren coaches coming over here, stealing our formations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

It depends what you envisage IF-A as being, and how the rest of your team is shaped. Personally I've had Winger-Support and Winger-Attack provide great goalscoring returns as movement narrows in the final third regardless of instruction. With a lone striker in the ST or AM position, they can score a lot of goals approaching from wide areas.

Conventional thinking was that Wide Midfielder - Attack (with instructions to come inside with the ball) was the deeper equivalent of IF-A, but I found they narrowed too early in play to be useful.

Generally though, IF-A is a main striker role, staying high and drifting out into channels when your team doesn't have the ball. You can either create a defensive version of it that doesn't offer the same outlet, or use a better overall system to utilise it effectively.

Yeah cool, that's what I thought. I use them as wide strikers, and a CF-S to link play from midfield to the widemen. All 3 drop deep-ish, but stay high enough up the pitch to press really high and smash teams on the counter. Don't think it'd be any use dropping them deeper in that case.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yeah cool, that's what I thought. I use them as wide strikers, and a CF-S to link play from midfield to the widemen. All 3 drop deep-ish, but stay high enough up the pitch to press really high and smash teams on the counter. Don't think it'd be any use dropping them deeper in that case.

4 strikers is a lot.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

4 strikers is a lot.

That's 3, but it seems to work. I score heaps and concede heaps.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

That's 3, but it seems to work. I score heaps and concede heaps.

High scoring games are bad. Conceding more than a goal a game is criminal mismanagement.

AMs are strikers. It's a 10 position.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

High scoring games are bad. Conceding more than a goal a game is criminal mismanagement.

AMs are strikers. It's a 10 position.

lol high scoring games are great mate. AMs drop real deep and if that's 4 strikers then call me Bielsa

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You're destroying your goalkeeper's morale because he never gets his clean sheet bonus.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

He kept 12 clean sheets last season, even though he was out injured for about a month. No issues there.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
It's all about min maxing the transfer market and youth markets so you can have such a good back 4 that you just don't concede many anyway.

If your main striker has more than 90 minutes per goal that's the criminal mismanagement.

edit: Okay, moving them back to ML/R isn't taking too much out of our attack and seems to offer a bit more defensively. The jury is out but I'll give it a few months I guess, see how they adapt.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 6, 2016

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My goalkeeper went to clear a backpass and hoofed into an oppositions striker like 18 yrds out and it bounced off him and went into the goal

so gently caress me i guess

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
same

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Works for me. Conceded 41 this season after 65 and 76 my first two premier league seasons. It might work better without the team instructions but I like to pretend my manager is doing something other than standing there watching a runabout

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Works for me. Conceded 41 this season after 65 and 76 my first two premier league seasons. It might work better without the team instructions but I like to pretend my manager is doing something other than standing there watching a runabout

That's a very aggressive midfield.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

You must be the most boring manager ffs

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

sassassin posted:

Yeah no wonder his Kok looks so worn out.

Im so sorry.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

You must be the most boring manager ffs

But I get results.

1-0, 0-0, 1-1, 0-1...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
tbh, mine works pretty well, too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How many real life teams play without any sort of holding midfielder?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Second best defense in the league this year (32 conceeded, 97 scored)
Best in the league last year (16 conceeded, 108 scored)

It looks far too attacking but it works. Dropping the wingers (the 4-4-1-1 tactic you can see I've added) offers another interesting option / dynamic but I just feel the 4-2-3-1 is stronger with my current squad. I'd love to see how it would have done before I had that level of talent though.

Until you have god tier players it does concede too many. My first season I came second on goal difference with 52 conceded. 40, 45 and 39 conceded followed that (all league winning tallies but far from impressive) before I finally had the quality to actually defend occasionally.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Yeah no wonder his Kok looks so worn out.

Im so sorry.

well with sideburns like that...

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Marquis de Pyro posted:

well with sideburns like that...

Good god man, trim those pubes.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

How many real life teams play without any sort of holding midfielder?

How many real life teams score 90% of their goals from full backs whipping the ball in?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

Second best defense in the league this year (32 conceeded, 97 scored)
Best in the league last year (16 conceeded, 108 scored)

It looks far too attacking but it works. Dropping the wingers (the 4-4-1-1 tactic you can see I've added) offers another interesting option / dynamic but I just feel the 4-2-3-1 is stronger with my current squad. I'd love to see how it would have done before I had that level of talent though.

Until you have god tier players it does concede too many. My first season I came second on goal difference with 52 conceded. 40, 45 and 39 conceded followed that (all league winning tallies but far from impressive) before I finally had the quality to actually defend occasionally.

AP-S, with it's low closing down and forward runs instructions, is a decent option for a holding midfield role. B2B and BWM are among the worst.

Once you have overwhelming quality throwing loads of players up tends to work quite well as the ai cowers in its own box against superior reputations. My careers never last long enough to do that (plus I'm overly sentimental towards my dogshit first window signings).

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sassassin posted:

AP-S, with it's low closing down and forward runs instructions, is a decent option for a holding midfield role. B2B and BWM are among the worst.

Once you have overwhelming quality throwing loads of players up tends to work quite well as the ai cowers in its own box against superior reputations. My careers never last long enough to do that (plus I'm overly sentimental towards my dogshit first window signings).

Unfortunately I still have a hard on for Petit - Vieira. It's the best midfield I've ever watched and I need to replicate it. Petit was more a DLP than an AP but I haven't found the right player for that. Pogba is a perfect Vieira replacement and I have a kid who will be even better.

I guess they had the Romford Pele himself Ray Parlour on the wing who did a lot of covering for Paddy. That and the best back 4 and keeper unit in history.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I actually used to have a more "standard" midfield, but I just said 'screw it' and went for a much more attacking lineup (with defensive mentality of course!) and somehow we started conceding far less goals. I'm guessing it was more to do with an improvement in player quality and I may have even better success with some different roles, but the team was playing well and I didn't want to screw with it during the season. I'll probably try something a little different for next season.

I definitely did still have issues holding much possession versus the top teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I should apparently train Jose Reyes as a sweeper keeper....are sweeper keepers poo poo in FM?

Also, I think im going to get promoted this year (year 2), who is a good goalkeeper for like 11 Million i can get who won't get poo poo on in the prem?