Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I don't think anything has been stated, but I think they were genuinely proud of their creation with Neelix. And honestly, if you're going to kill someone off, wouldn't the first answer always be the one who only has like 3 years left to live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They wanted Nelix to be popular and shine to the point that they told all human characters to just not act, don't show emotion, just... don't act. All in the hopes that their lovely bland aliens would seem more animated and interesting by comparison.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why would they think anyone would like Neelix?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The humans are all so serious and grumpy and bland while Nelix is happy and animated and zany!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Its fitting that Voyager's thought process was "instead of making characters more interesting lets make them all lovely so the least bad seems good"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

The humans are all so serious and grumpy and bland while Nelix is happy and animated and zany!

Making the show weirder as it seems everyone is being made grumpy by Neelix.

Maybe that was the plan: give the viewers a way to relate to the characters by all hating Neelix.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sunswipe posted:

Maybe that was the plan: give the viewers a way to relate to the characters by all hating Neelix.

I have a horrible feeling Nelix was created and marketed to be the character the viewer identified with vs the evolved federation humans. He was like a regular joe space cat clown loving a 3 year old who doesn't love him but stays out of a sense of obligation for taking care of her.

Also they got rid of Kes because they knew she was going to balloon up and go nuts.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVdH1GomPTk

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Woohoo, Trek is back on Canadian Netflix!

Oh the quality is actually worse than the :filez: I downloaded because I was using madVR

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

It's probably a bad sign for a show when as a scriptwriter you ask yourself "Now what would be the thing most likely to drive this character into an unstoppable murderous rage?" and come up with the answer "The character we intended to be the most popular one acting exactly like he normally does."

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

They just announced that DS9 is getting the BluRay treatment, with completely updated graphics and effects!

Actually no they didn't. But do you feel how hard your dick is right now?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FrensaGeran posted:

They just announced that DS9 is getting the BluRay treatment, with completely updated graphics and effects!

gently caress you

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Does Babylon 5 hold up these days or is it only good because of nostalgia? Was thinking of rewatching.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Does Babylon 5 hold up these days or is it only good because of nostalgia? Was thinking of rewatching.

The special effects were done on a Sega Genesis that later burned down so no, it doesn't hold up well.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

FrensaGeran posted:

Goddamn man, this isn't very nice or funny.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

criscodisco posted:

The special effects were done on a Sega Genesis that later burned down so no, it doesn't hold up well.
They had the unfortunate design choice of deciding on semiorganic ships when CGI could only make everything look like silly putty.

Hell, I thought the effects were rear end ugly compared to its trek contemporaries when it originally aired.

Bleeding-edge cgi aside, I think B5 did "Overarching Serial Space Opera" before it became a proven thing on TV.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 5, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Barclay named his cat Neelix

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Hell, I thought the effects were rear end ugly compared to its trek contemporaries when it originally aired.
They were. Never got into B5, although I don't think it was the effects that were the problem.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Detective shows have better serial narratives now than B5 did. The state of television storytelling has moved waaaaay past the point at which B5 is notable.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

which holodeck program would you most want as a syndicated show

edit: asking for a friend

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FuhrerHat posted:

First thing that springs to mind is the one where Neelix is killed. It wouldn't be a long show, but a couple of minutes once a week of Neelix dying in some horrific/hilarious way would really help cheer people up.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Bashir & O'Brien: Battles Throughout History

> Battle of Britain
> Battle of Clontarf
> Battle of the Alamo
> Battle of Thermopylae

I think those are all the ones they specifically mentioned; presumably there were many others too.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Barclay Visits the Whores, what else?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

FuhrerHat posted:

Definitely the wacky adventures of Irish town #37

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

They probably played through all the moments in history when a man could turn to his squad mate and look him longingly in the eyes and say "This is the end, isn't it? You know, I always loved you", then drop their weapons and gently caress him right in his Irish mouth.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Bashir & O'Brien: Battles Throughout History

> Battle of Britain
> Battle of Clontarf
> Battle of the Alamo
> Battle of Thermopylae

I think those are all the ones they specifically mentioned; presumably there were many others too.

i want this too but im pretty sure they just run off into the bushes and gently caress

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FuhrerHat posted:

Flotter T. Water

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ok guys, we'll be our own squad here. miles i need you to use the mg42 as covering fire and julian you.... guys?... hello?.... poo poo the allies are coming, gently caress

i hate playing with you two, just come out already

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GREAT, you hurt your shoulder AGAIN

THIS CLAN SUCKS

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Hell on Wheels is actually a holodeck program that Miles has been spending a lot of time in.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
How about that program that had Quark's head on Kira's body

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Who do you think bottoms and who do you think tops? My initial thought would be that Julian would bottom, since he's the pretty boy and has access to analgesics, but beefy guys almost universally like a good hard pounding, so I'm torn.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i want to see more of professor moriarty lost in space

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

criscodisco posted:

Who do you think bottoms and who do you think tops? My initial thought would be that Julian would bottom, since he's the pretty boy and has access to analgesics, but beefy guys almost universally like a good hard pounding, so I'm torn.

all oral all the time

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

FuhrerHat posted:

One of Quark's special programs iykwim

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

vic fontaine is wiping away a tear right now

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

FuhrerHat posted:

vic fontaine is wiping away a tear right now

I forgot he was a hologram, he was so real to me

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I heard there was a pretty terrible NX-01 simudoc that made the rounds. Except the warpsperg that programmed it made all the command crew out of cardboard.

The fanedit of series 3 kind of rights the ship though.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

FuhrerHat posted:

"Lying On The Hot Seat with Elim"

Ziyal's Cardassian Basking Caves program is reopened but as a talk show hosted by Garak. Each week a guest from across the stars joins our tailor on the opposite hot rock and slowly unfolds the horror that rather than an interview on their latest novel or warp field research breakthrough, they are having all of their innermost secrets exposed to every listening ear in subspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

FuhrerHat posted:

i want to see more of professor moriarty lost in space

That would actually be pretty cool, since I think a lot of sci-fi fans dream of having a super advanced shuttle with which to explore an inhabited galaxy.

Extra points if there's the occasional catastrophe that makes no sense and doesn't follow the universe we know, only to pan way out and see that Picard has spilled his plate of kippers on the little plastic holodeck simulator.