Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
It's been a while since I've looked at strikers but I seem to remember some getting additional damage when attacking targets "away" from others (either friends or foes). Focus-fire is the general strategy for PCs, correct? This burns down enemies as quick as possible. But attacking targets that are "alone" seems counter-intuitive.

Maybe it's just certain powers and not class features, but I'm phone posting and don't have access to my books at the moment. If there are striker features like this, can someone help me connect the logic here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't know of any striker class features like that.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Pretty sure you're thinking of the Avenger, which gets a double to-hit roll when the enemy is isolated from other enemies (but not your allies so focus fire is still effective). e: Well, okay, it's when the enemy is the only enemy adjacent to the Avenger.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 22, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The avenger, gets bonuses if they're alone with the enemy.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
There's also a rogue (ranger too maybe?) feat that gives you automatic CA against an enemy without any of its allies adjacent to it.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Ranger and Warlock both get Prime Shot, which encourages them to not have anyone else beating on their target aside from other ranged attackers.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Unknown Quantity posted:

Ranger and Warlock both get Prime Shot, which encourages them to not have anyone else beating on their target aside from other ranged attackers.

Do note that it's not having any closer targets so you can be the same distance away for things like melee rangers (with the feat that makes it work on melee).

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

djw175 posted:

Do note that it's not having any closer targets so you can be the same distance away for things like melee rangers (with the feat that makes it work on melee).

Also note, IIRC, it's "closest that you can see" so I pulled a funny stunt with this by being inside a house and looking out a doorway :3:

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

There's also a rogue (ranger too maybe?) feat that gives you automatic CA against an enemy without any of its allies adjacent to it.

Cunning Stalker, from Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, gives you CA against enemies that have no creatures adjacent to it other than you. No prerequisites.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

djw175 posted:

It specifies ranged attacks, and Prime Punisher, the melee feat for rangers, specifies nothing can be adjacent to the same target as you. But in the instance of things being the same distance, it's true. Cursed Shot on Warlock also makes allies adjacent to you not count against Prime Shot, so in theory if you had Staff Expertise you could go right up to a dude as a warlock and pile on them with your friends with or without the feat, or you can hide right behind your defender and zap dudes with the feat.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 22, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I'm reading the "Cairn of the Winter King" adventure from MV, and I'm trying to figure out why all the king's horses and all the king's men started randomly thawing out just in time for the adventurer's to show up. Likewise, the king himself apparently was too frozen to do anything to prevent having his scepter stolen in the first place, but in the adventure he seemingly can just start beating the poo poo out of the party whenever he feels like it?

Am I missing something from the text, or should I just handwave this poo poo as "it's in the script, w/e" ?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
So, a my 4E Madness at Gardmore Abbey game just ended because the last of the original 5 party members just died and so everyone felt disconnected from the adventure hook. At an estimate the party was somewhere short of halfway through.

Generally there would be 4-5 PCs present during a session plus a companion NPC. The party was level 7 when we finished and had suffered at least 12 PC deaths (I lost count). The party routinely suffered casualties in the first or second encounter of the day against fights of their level, or 1-2 levels higher.

They were only ever successful if they took a long rest and nova'd a single encounter before leaving the Abbey to rest again.

Is there something off in Gardmore's balance, or was this just the worst party ever? It's almost certainly the latter, although their choices about what order to do encounters in didn't help.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

P.d0t posted:

I'm reading the "Cairn of the Winter King" adventure from MV, and I'm trying to figure out why all the king's horses and all the king's men started randomly thawing out just in time for the adventurer's to show up. Likewise, the king himself apparently was too frozen to do anything to prevent having his scepter stolen in the first place, but in the adventure he seemingly can just start beating the poo poo out of the party whenever he feels like it?

Am I missing something from the text, or should I just handwave this poo poo as "it's in the script, w/e" ?
From what I remember the scepter is what keeps the curse active, once it's gone everyone starts thawing, at different (convenient) speeds I guess. I also seem to remember it doesn't really make much sense either, but it's an explanation.

I usually just present the facts as they are to my players and a lot of the time they come up with their own explanation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thefakenews posted:

So, a my 4E Madness at Gardmore Abbey game just ended because the last of the original 5 party members just died and so everyone felt disconnected from the adventure hook. At an estimate the party was somewhere short of halfway through.

Generally there would be 4-5 PCs present during a session plus a companion NPC. The party was level 7 when we finished and had suffered at least 12 PC deaths (I lost count). The party routinely suffered casualties in the first or second encounter of the day against fights of their level, or 1-2 levels higher.

They were only ever successful if they took a long rest and nova'd a single encounter before leaving the Abbey to rest again.

Is there something off in Gardmore's balance, or was this just the worst party ever? It's almost certainly the latter, although their choices about what order to do encounters in didn't help.

Gardmore Abbey is really loving hard, especially with the wrong party makeup or non-optimized characters. I personally hold a low opinion of 4E published adventures for a number of reasons, especially when Gardmore is typically viewed as the best one.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Gardmore Abbey is really loving hard, especially with the wrong party makeup or non-optimized characters. I personally hold a low opinion of 4E published adventures for a number of reasons, especially when Gardmore is typically viewed as the best one.

I felt like there was a lot of "here's a level 6 encounter that is actually two level 9 owl bears with the ability to action point and kill the first person to enter melee".

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Anyone have that module? Now I want to roll20 it for/with interested goons.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 27, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

slydingdoor posted:

Anyone have that module? Now I want to roll20 it for/with interested goons.

I bought the module and gave it to someone else. On the other hand, I'm desperate for a 4E game, so let me know how that progresses. Really desperate.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781329

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
This kind of thing is impossible to search, so I'm hoping one or more people know:

The Swordmage has a level 9 daily power, Glamor Blade, that creates a duplicate that "share your statistics and actions".

Are there any other powers or items that do the same thing? Let you add an origin square for actions in general?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TheDemon posted:

This kind of thing is impossible to search, so I'm hoping one or more people know:

The Swordmage has a level 9 daily power, Glamor Blade, that creates a duplicate that "share your statistics and actions".

Are there any other powers or items that do the same thing? Let you add an origin square for actions in general?

The Dreamwalker Paragon Path for Psions has a similar feature as an at-will triggered effect you can manifest whenever you augment a power.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I believe the Shaman works like that - any power with a "Spirit x" in its targeting means you can trigger it within x squares of your Spirit animal.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
The Arcane Reach feat (req L11, Dex 15) lets you use any square within 2 squares of you as the origin square for close arcane attack powers.. so really only useful for Sorcerers.

Artificer's War Proxy (L1 daily) lets you use an ally as an origin square for ranged weapon attacks until the end of the encounter. Spellmaster's Pawn (L15 daily) is similar, but for arcane ranged attack powers.

Greater Dancing Weapon for weapon attacks.

Phrenic Master's Twin-Souled Projection for originating ranged and area Shaman powers from your spirit.

There's also a bunch of one-off or once per encounter ways to do it - Hermetic Saboteur, Staff of the Third Eye, some Artificer encounters, etc. Too many to really list.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm making holo foil action point cards to hand out to my players to remind them that they exist, is there any good established Action Point art, or am I better searching through my TG Art folder?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Moriatti posted:

I'm making holo foil action point cards to hand out to my players to remind them that they exist, is there any good established Action Point art, or am I better searching through my TG Art folder?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

AP are more of a "But wait! There's more!" situation than an "OBJECTION!" situation. Objection is for mark punishments.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

This will probably resonate best with my players, AND look sick on a transparency, thanks!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Here's my card, I'll post a photo of how it looks when I holofoil it in a few days.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

loving dope.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My brother and his friends recently approached me about DMing a campaign for them. They are complete D&D neophytes. I've been out of the D&D scene for a little while, since the lead up to the launch of 5e, so I have a few questions:

1) I get to choose the edition. I loved 4e and haven't really looked at 5e. Is there anything about 5e that would make it better for beginners or should I just stick with the 4e I know? This would be for low level play. Obviously, I know what thread I am asking this in.

2) Is the Offline Character Builder still functional and available?

3) Is D&D Insider still a thing, for access to the Online Character Builder and the Compendium?

4) What is the best option for online play at this point? The players are all from different places across the world. I think the impetus for them trying to put this together was a Steam sale on Tabletop Simulator, but I've got know clue if that supports any edition of D&D. Is Roll20 a suitable alternative? I don't think I'll get buy in for Masterplan or whatever other ganky program I remember using back in the day. Being able to record the play session would be a plus, as I think they are wanting to put the sessions up on YouTube.

I've got some other questions but I'll ask those once I figure out how to proceed with these first ones. Thanks!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Klungar posted:

1) I get to choose the edition. I loved 4e and haven't really looked at 5e. Is there anything about 5e that would make it better for beginners or should I just stick with the 4e I know? This would be for low level play. Obviously, I know what thread I am asking this in.

5e isn't a bad place to start (the math is like a slimmed down version of previous editions, and they can get a feel for combat/turn-taking mechanics) but I would port them over to 4e after they get the hang of it. It basically depends if you want to play a tactical combat RPG or a Weird Wizard Show.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
1: If you're playing with complete RPG neophytes there's no edition of D&D that's actually good. Grab Strike! or Dungeon World or something like that.

2: Still functional, not sure about available.

3: Last I looked it was still running but not accepting new subs.

4: Roll20 is the most common platform IIRC. I imagine there's also a D&D thingy for Tabletop Simulator if that's your jam.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The offline builder is available (and updated to the latest materials) but it is technically :filez:

I don't anyone really cares about you getting it and it has been linked in this thread before.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

P.d0t posted:

5e isn't a bad place to start (the math is like a slimmed down version of previous editions, and they can get a feel for combat/turn-taking mechanics) but I would port them over to 4e after they get the hang of it. It basically depends if you want to play a tactical combat RPG or a Weird Wizard Show.
I'd say if 4e is your jam just start there. 5e did trim some things down, but what it lacks in weighty crunch it makes up for in ambiguous language. They're both about the same speed at the table after about level 3-4 (which is really quick to get to in 5e because of the accelerated "apprentice tier").

E: Though I do agree that as long as you're an experienced GM, Strike!, Fellowship, or Dungeon World might be a better entry point for a group of newbies. Though 4e can be perfectly fine if the group comes from a MtG or heavy board game background.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 5, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Play the game you enjoy the most. You'll have an easier time maintaining your and the new players' enthusiasm that way, be able to teach it better, and not have to look stuff up as much in game. You're in the position of being an ambassador not just of the particular system but RPGs in general, so you should give yourself every edge you can.

DW and 5e and such will require you to learn stuff alongside the players, which can be tough on them to maybe have to remind you of rules, and you might not like those systems as much as 4e, which would be bad for everyone.

As for running stuff online, I'm running a roll20 4e game for the first time and finding it super duper convenient after you input everything into the integrated character sheets. I'd make them for the players though, because they're kind of intimidating at first glance and you wouldn't want to scare them off. I got tips from goons on tricks to make it easier, like copy pasting monster stats into a spreadsheet and find/replacing their attack and damage stats with macros, making nesting macros to take care of situational bonuses, having a spreadsheet to keep durations on buffs and debuffs easily accessible, things of that sort. It made lonelyfun aka preparation more fun that usual for a nerd like me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If I was DMing for a group of first-timers, I would definitely run Dungeon World. Then if it turned out they were really into combat and wanted that particular bit of the game to be the "main course", I'd introduce 4e or Strike.

But at the end of the day, the number one most important thing in a DM is enthusiasm for actually running the game. DM what you like to DM - you'll enjoy it more, you'll be more fun to be around at the table since you're genuinely enjoying yourself, and you'll be more motivated to put time into prep, leading to a better game for your players.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Don't run dungeon world unless you're actually experienced with dungeon world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Elfgames posted:

Don't run dungeon world unless you're actually experienced with dungeon world.
I think it can work as long as you're either naturally inclined towards or at least open to a low-prep, player-driven GMing style.

It certainly did for me. The first time I ran DW it was for a group of total newbies, and it was one of the best campaigns I've ever done. That low-prep style is what I'd been trying to do with middling success for 10 or so years of GMing until DW gave me the framework to be successful with it though, so I may be biased.

In the end I'd echo the "run what excites you" sentiment though. That's probably the best advice I've seen for anyone in a long time.