Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Probably replicator reinforcing POS himself?

yeah that loving guy was definitely a nail in the coffin

probably wheniaminspace annihilating fleets by himself too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Y'all are going to act like petition spam based on because multiboxing isn't a thing you did really really hard?

This was before my time so I'm excluding myself on this one.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Elsa posted:

Y'all are going to act like petition spam based on because multiboxing isn't a thing you did really really hard?

This was before my time so I'm excluding myself on this one.

People were actually getting losses from replicator that they petitioned reimbursed, so of course we petitioned all our losses.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
Is there a good way to view the skills of your pilots for a disabled eve account? I've been looking at getting back in a more casual fashion, but can't seem to find a good way to figure out which account I might want to re-enable.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Never knew DNSBlack was that seminal in something. I thought he was just an irritating guest on podcasts.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Oodles posted:

Never knew DNSBlack was that seminal in something. I thought he was just an irritating guest on podcasts.

I'd have pegged him as seminal for quite some time

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Elsa posted:

I'd have pegged him as seminal for quite some time

:golfclap:

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
I've always been pretty paranoid about the places I work - wondering about the health of the company and poo poo like that. Part of me wants to believe there's someone like that at CCP who is constantly on the cusp of having a nervous breakdown and running out of the building screaming about the end of days and the writing on the wall...

I would be watching management for the slightest indication of being "reassigned" to some bullshit VR game, if I worked at CCP.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Oodles posted:

seminal as in a load of jizz? yes

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Baculus posted:

I've always been pretty paranoid about the places I work - wondering about the health of the company and poo poo like that. Part of me wants to believe there's someone like that at CCP who is constantly on the cusp of having a nervous breakdown and running out of the building screaming about the end of days and the writing on the wall...

I would be watching management for the slightest indication of being "reassigned" to some bullshit VR game, if I worked at CCP.

First, you'd have accepted poo poo wages to work there in the first place. Second, CCP's skeleton crew would be ten people including server team in London while game development froze for a year while they build up revenue and plan their next move.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Baculus posted:

someone like that at CCP who is constantly on the cusp of having a nervous breakdown and running out of the building screaming about the end of days and the writing on the wall

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=1606404&privcapId=4497073

when he jets theres a problem

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Freakus posted:

Is there a good way to view the skills of your pilots for a disabled eve account? I've been looking at getting back in a more casual fashion, but can't seem to find a good way to figure out which account I might want to re-enable.

This works for at a minimum isk and skills. Not sure if it shows assets.

Source: I did this with an unsubbed account

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Orange Red Bull posted:

International law is international law and there is no international law regarding gambling and the mmo market is global. Why do you think gambling cruises go to international waters.

The problem of gambling in eve is that i was once told that for every ingame problem there is a pvp solution. There is no pvp solution for people who never undock, siphon isk from an out of game website and then permanently fund your enemies.

They can still be prohibited from operating within certain countries/states, such as said fantasy football sites being barred from allowing New York IP addresses to access their services.

But yeah since it's unofficial stuff I have no idea how that would fly.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Red Bull posted:

International law is international law and there is no international law regarding gambling and the mmo market is global. Why do you think gambling cruises go to international waters.

The problem of gambling in eve is that i was once told that for every ingame problem there is a pvp solution. There is no pvp solution for people who never undock, siphon isk from an out of game website and then permanently fund your enemies.

everything ccp does is subject to the laws of one or more specific countries depending on what it is they're doing, international law isn't a thing that applies to mmos

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

evilweasel posted:

everything ccp does is subject to the laws of one or more specific countries depending on what it is they're doing, international law isn't a thing that applies to mmos

probably the biggest thing is that you can also lose payment processor access; Visa, MC, and Paypal are extremely powerful in that regard

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
how closely does CCP and IWI resemble a gambling site operating as a video game company. I mean, buy-in is ISK which you can get by purchasing PLEX with real money.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Elsa posted:

how closely does CCP and IWI resemble a gambling site operating as a video game company. I mean, buy-in is ISK which you can get by purchasing PLEX with real money.
I think the key is being able to turn that ISK back into real money. There were (are?) several "gambling" Facebook apps that monetized through buying in game currency, but you could never redeem it.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
the bigger thing that should happen with gambling is the ccp will finally declare it bad and ban it, because it is legitimately bad for the game

as has been said over and over, a successful gambling webapp is a superweapon; I'm sure that the IWI guys could fund numerous b-r style wipes with where they currently are

now that you can purchase SP, it would honestly be feasible to go to a group like PL with trillions of isk and fund the skills/ships to put together a titan blob to do your bidding in 0.0

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Freakus posted:

I think the key is being able to turn that ISK back into real money

Why would someone go through the hassle of coding, registering, administrating, recruiting, policing, poring over ledgers and spreadsheets and all the things that must be involved with a site like iwantisk

I know the imperium tried to break into it because lol unlimited isk faucet but once a site is established and becomes the "it" site then what?

You buy a titan and a super, build a keepstar then what?

Even before somer got flushed this eep eep guy was trying to break into the market. He was the guy behind evealopolous who's lovely recruitment spam you probably seen in jita local.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Orange Red Bull posted:

You buy a titan and a super, build a keepstar then what?

Finance a war. Become a pillar of the community, collect upvotes, start a blog, youtube channel, stream, get views, subscribers and fans, make money. Become e-famous. Get a job as an editor for an online media website, collect more e-fame. Start your own website, get 100,000 regular readers and then sell it for a million dollars to a bigger fish.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Landsknecht posted:

the bigger thing that should happen with gambling is the ccp will finally declare it bad and ban it, because it is legitimately bad for the game

as has been said over and over, a successful gambling webapp is a superweapon; I'm sure that the IWI guys could fund numerous b-r style wipes with where they currently are

now that you can purchase SP, it would honestly be feasible to go to a group like PL with trillions of isk and fund the skills/ships to put together a titan blob to do your bidding in 0.0

That point falls on deaf ears when Seagull is interviewed about gambling and says conflict in EVE is good no matter how it happens.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

frozenpussy is your uncle a gambling addict or something? Like holy poo poo yea some people are going to make poor life choices with money, but it's not your place to tell others how to live their journey though this gay earth

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Massasoit posted:

frozenpussy is your uncle a gambling addict or something? Like holy poo poo yea some people are going to make poor life choices with money, but it's not your place to tell others how to live their journey though this gay earth

no I just think people are satisfied with weak-rear end arguments based on game design and international water maritime law or some poo poo. CCP realizes the same benefit from third party ISK gambling sites as if they made the sites themselves.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Freakus posted:

I think the key is being able to turn that ISK back into real money. There were (are?) several "gambling" Facebook apps that monetized through buying in game currency, but you could never redeem it.

And yet one of those companies just lost a jury trial... and another is getting its poo poo pushed in despite have one case against it dismissed for jurisdictional issues. Where statutes do require you to be able to redeem cash, all they care about is that a secondary market exists (it does in EVE, you can sell your ISK to RMT sites). And historically, damages are usually a multiple of the lost amount, where the valuation is construed in favor of the "victim" (read: Plaintiff).

But most laws don't require that you be able to turn it back into money - only that it be something that someone considers valuable. It sounds whimsical and stupid, but I didn't write this poo poo so :shrug:.

Massasoit posted:

Is this like a hyper-libertarian philosophy where everyone can do whatever they want whenever?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baculus posted:

And yet one of those companies just lost a jury trial... and another is getting its poo poo pushed in despite have one case against it dismissed for jurisdictional issues. Where statutes do require you to be able to redeem cash, all they care about is that a secondary market exists (it does in EVE, you can sell your ISK to RMT sites). And historically, damages are usually a multiple of the lost amount, where the valuation is construed in favor of the "victim" (read: Plaintiff).

But most laws don't require that you be able to turn it back into money - only that it be something that someone considers valuable. It sounds whimsical and stupid, but I didn't write this poo poo so :shrug:.

Is this like a hyper-libertarian philosophy where everyone can do whatever they want whenever?

Yeah, gently caress you, got mine.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

This this this this this this this. I've played a lot of MMOs, and I internal/closed/NDA-signed beta tested a lot of MMOs. I've been one of the dudes that has ties and relations with developers, and I haven't seen devs and players sleeping together this much since 989 split from Sony.

I was a smurf in UO (Non paid staff woo.) and I had less developer access than some players do here. It doesn't help that I don't think CCP fundementally understands the mechanics of their own game though.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Welp, was hoping for some posts about that cool fight with NC. and its all internet-lawyers arguing over international gambling law...

For content ill post this BR:
http://evf-eve.com/services/brcat/?s=1442&b=7106065&e=56&t=e

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Xolve posted:

Would it still be a problem if they were funding you though?

if goonswarm had an unlimited source of wealth that could not be countered by in game means then I highly doubt it would ever have been a problem.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The most hosed thing with CCP is their god drat hiring process. It would be like hiring Baseball managers based solely on who can throw a baseball the hardest. Except you get paid in a moon currency that you legally can't transfer out of country which means any savings you set aside are useless if you ever leave the moon

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I want to combine every hosed aspect of this game and create a charity gambling website. Oh, that 1t a month I make for myself? Thats just what I pay myself in compensation for running the server, the rest all goes to charity :smug:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

The most hosed thing with CCP is their god drat hiring process. It would be like hiring Baseball managers based solely on who can throw a baseball the hardest. Except you get paid in a moon currency that you legally can't transfer out of country which means any savings you set aside are useless if you ever leave the moon

they're also paying poo poo, you have to live in a cold climate on an island where you'll be a cultural outsider, and you probably have few options for advancement in the company

like if I were a programmer would I rather work on eve for like 40-50k a year (someone posted earlier that this is what they seriously pay) and maybe think it's cool work, or would I rather do database webapps for small corporate clients and take in 80-100k per year, with a fairly reasonable path forward (start your own devshop, try and get in with a fortune 500, maybe try a startup)

like CCP does decent enough work, but if you had resources like blizzard or EA Eve would be an unbelievably better done game (maybe)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Reverand maynard posted:

if goonswarm had an unlimited source of wealth that could not be countered by in game means then I highly doubt it would ever have been a problem.

I never, ever want to see what would happen if Goonswarm had access to an unlimited source of wealth.

yes I do

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

nex posted:

Welp, was hoping for some posts about that cool fight with NC. and its all internet-lawyers arguing over international gambling law...

For content ill post this BR:
http://evf-eve.com/services/brcat/?s=1442&b=7106065&e=56&t=e

They might be coming back in an hour over another pos should be interesting

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The CSGO thing reminds me of the Pachinko loophole for gambling in Japan.

You pay money for pachinko balls which you gamble with. If you win, you get paid out in tokens or whatever which you can redeem for prizes! Except out back is a shady Yakuza fuckhead that will buy your tokens for real money.

You pay money for CS:GO skins which you gamble with. If you win, you get paid out in gsgo skins which you can sell to others for steam bucks! Except you can then sell steam bucks for real bucks to people online.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

PSA:

quote:

(2:17:40 PM) directorbot: For those who didn't see the patch notes for today's mini-patch: Hit Esc and uncheck "Dynamic Camera Movement" on the graphics tab to disable the docking animation (and the temporary weird FOV on undock).

~~~ This was a broadcast from namamai to opt-all at 2016-07-05 21:17:31.789060 EVE ~~~

Also disables animations on changing ships.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xolve posted:

Would it still be a problem if they were funding you though?

we were pretty open how hosed the technetium bottleneck was even when we owned like half the tech moons in the game

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I like how when goons almost broke the game with ForEx, we still had the morals to come out and explain exactly how :ccp: hosed up and how they needed to fix it, potentially with the threat of permabans looming over the perpetrators. Now a website with a dubious at best past with shady internet dealings has essentially created a quasi-illegal gambling and money laundering setup and :ccp: doesn't give two shits as long as the money keeps rolling in. I don't know if it's quite as bad as the T20 scandal but I really do think they should nip this in the bud before someone airs the dirty laundry for all to see.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Huge_Midget posted:

I like how when goons almost broke the game with ForEx, we still had the morals to come out and explain exactly how :ccp: hosed up and how they needed to fix it, potentially with the threat of permabans looming over the perpetrators. Now a website with a dubious at best past with shady internet dealings has essentially created a quasi-illegal gambling and money laundering setup and :ccp: doesn't give two shits as long as the money keeps rolling in. I don't know if it's quite as bad as the T20 scandal but I really do think they should nip this in the bud before someone airs the dirty laundry for all to see.

This is going to be the best part, just have to be patient with money and spaceships poo poo always goes sideways.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
I don't think there is any proof that the leaders RMT though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

today has been an all-day feed from cfcdot

they fed fax, triple plated abaddons, cerbs, VNIs, feroxes, slippery petes

all from the angry apefuck power of the modest hurricane

cfcdot won't drop the direct counter to hurricanes though (titans) so :iiam:

• Locked thread