Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It beats Tarmogoyf with RIP in play though??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Isn't Advocate a legit concern, though?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Sylvan Advocate is a dumb card.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

MTGS says that Grim Flayer sucks because it can't ever beat Tarmogoyf in combat. Pack it up boys.

excuse me but it does with rest in peace on the field

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It beats Tarmogoyf with RIP in play though??

drat i was beaten...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Isn't Advocate a legit concern, though?

Sylvan Advocate is just better most of the time, yes. Which is why this card is probably going to crash after people freak out about it. But in fairness, basically-Scry 3 is a really strong combat damage trigger. You probably only need to connect once with it to be worth it over Advocate, but 50+% of the field plays a playset of Sylvan Advocates and this guy can't really get through them without turning on Delirium. For Delirium to be good its something you probably need to be doing incidentally (e.g. Mindwrack Demon) as opposed to playing bad cards to enable.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 5, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

In this standard, yeah, it's not a ridiculous card in a vacuum or anything though.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

She can if you use an instant speed fight in combat, but perhaps that's the case you were trying to exclude.

E: actually does it work like that? Can you get a fight in after the first strike combat damage but before the normal combat damage?

You can do this, but if you are having Gisela do the fighting, she will still die. Fight ignores First strike and Double strike. (and trample, flying and reach... basically anything that does not modify qualities of the damage dealt...)

If you have her attack, get blocked by the dragon, get a counter from the command, then have her fight SOMETHING ELSE, then she can beat the dragon that way.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

Ignoring the clusterfuck that was Onslaught block, it was the first set I drafted and was when I started getting into magic so it holds a soft spot in my heart

Ah, that's fair

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Angry Grimace posted:

Sylvan Advocate is just better most of the time, yes. Which is why this card is probably going to crash after people freak out about it. But in fairness, basically-Scry 3 is a really strong combat damage trigger. You probably only need to connect once with it to be worth it over Advocate, but 50+% of the field plays a playset of Sylvan Advocates and this guy can't really get through them without turning on Delirium. For Delirium to be good its something you probably need to be doing incidentally (e.g. Mindwrack Demon) as opposed to playing bad cards to enable.

Yeah this is all true, I'd add though that as another point in Flayer's favor his ability is likely to actually be better than scry 3 in the type of decks he'll show up in, and also that there are a lot of cards in those colors that help him be good in the face of Advocate like, say..... new Lilliana.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

MTGS says that Grim Flayer sucks because it can't ever beat Tarmogoyf in combat. Pack it up boys.

It beats nothing relevant in combat.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It beats nothing relevant in combat.

Give it time, Kaladesh will probably have some stuff for it (Artifact Creatures) and the fat butt gang will eventually rotate out, so maybe it's a sign of what their plans for upcoming standards will be (reduced butts for everyone)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Give it time, Kaladesh will probably have some stuff for it (Artifact Creatures) and the fat butt gang will eventually rotate out, so maybe it's a sign of what their plans for upcoming standards will be (reduced butts for everyone)

That might happen but Reflector/Advocate and even Catacomb Sifter are going to be around for another year after that.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
He seems very good in a G/B deck that packs removal to clear the way for him. Deadweight and Sinister concoction may play besides him for the Delirium trigger.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Delirium is basically "Play with these bad cards until you hit delirium".

^^^

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That new green Corpse Churn that hits lands seems like it may help.

I want the Rock to be good again.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DangerDongs posted:

That new green Corpse Churn that hits lands seems like it may help.

I want the Rock to be good again.

I have some good news

it's probably at least t1.5 atm

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah this is all true, I'd add though that as another point in Flayer's favor his ability is likely to actually be better than scry 3 in the type of decks he'll show up in, and also that there are a lot of cards in those colors that help him be good in the face of Advocate like, say..... new Lilliana.

Scry 3 is just a way to describe it, its almost strictly better than Scry in practice because decks that care about it will like it and decks that didn't it wouldn't really matter.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
The most interesting common in the set

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Red gets a vanilla bear as a vampire per the new Developer Tumblr.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nibble posted:

The most interesting common in the set

With no downside! Wow!

I wonder if Anje Falkenrath will be a new legendary creature.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

GBx is usually as good or better than GWx.

e: will the powercreep on creatures never end??

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

I'm tellin you guys, Dead Weight, new Lilly and this guy, curving into Mindwrack Demon, have your own Sylvan Advocates and maybe Transgress the Mind with some instant speed removal... seems pretty spicy

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Wizards should stop making good creatures X/X+1 so we don't have efficient creatures bouncing off each other all day. I understand that having a 2/3 instead of a 2/2 looks more elegant and exciting, but stalemates suck and it just means 2/2s are so much worse.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

whydirt posted:

It's also the reason why a 1R 3 dmg instant should exist

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

80s James Hetfield posted:

Don't be ridiculous.

The reason why a 1R 3 damage instant would be broken and format warping in this world of X/3s and X/4s is because

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

With no downside! Wow!

I wonder if Anje Falkenrath will be a new legendary creature.

only if she's remilia flandre scarlet

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

80s James Hetfield posted:

As has been pointed out, it does exist in the form of Draconic Roar.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zoness posted:

only if she's remilia flandre scarlet

YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

stinkles1112 posted:

I'm tellin you guys, Dead Weight, new Lilly and this guy, curving into Mindwrack Demon, have your own Sylvan Advocates and maybe Transgress the Mind with some instant speed removal... seems pretty spicy

There are now a lot of payoffs for Delirium. Whether they get there is pretty questionable. I've been playing GBu Delirium recently and even with the cards it has, it already wrecks GW Tokens because Mindwrack Demon is really loving good against that deck, but it also gets its lunch eaten by Bant Company decks. It's kind of a meta-call whether its competitive or awful.

But out of all of the Tier 2 decks floating around, GB Delirium is pretty clearly getting the most new cards to play with, so it seems pretty mcmagic-y to say there's no way it could ever be good because "what if your opponent has Sylvan Advocate." Previously your payoff for Delirium was not dying to your own Mindwrack Demon and enabling Traverse the Ulvenwald (which is still the strongest card in Delirium). Now you're adding in Grim Flayer, Emrakul, sort-of Hymn to Tourach? You're starting to get payoffs that might be worth it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

whydirt posted:

As has been pointed out, it does exist in the form of Draconic Roar.

When was the last time Thunderbreak Regent saw play exactly?

Like I could understand playing Draconic Roar if there was a reason to play Dragons but unfortunately all red has for good dragons right now is Thunderbreak Regent and Dragonlord Atarka.

Not exactly what red's looking to play

Edit: And Mirrorwing Dragon because that's in this set too.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Draco Roar and the Radiating Dragon could take down a tokens deck if you're somehow still alive on turn 6.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tubgoat posted:

Draco Roar and the Radiating Dragon could take down a tokens deck if you're somehow still alive on turn 6.

That is not how Mirrorwing Dragon works.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

but it also gets its lunch eaten by Bant Company decks. It's kind of a meta-call whether its competitive or awful.

Makes me wonder if maindeck Languish will be good. Your Advocates and Mindwracks dodge it, they would have a really hard time coming back if you Languish and have two dudes or a dude and a Liliana left over after. Transgress is decent against Company in the main too.

I'm definitely brewing on this for standard either way. I wanna use those Gitrog toads!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Count Bleck posted:

That is not how Mirrorwing Dragon works.

poo poo, you're right! That card is industrial sewage.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I don't know why people think Mirrorwing Dragon is going to do anything in standard when Zada, Hedron Grinder couldn't. One of them only lets you copy stuff so you can't get blown out, the other is a really lovely dragon getting released soon.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

When was the last time Thunderbreak Regent saw play exactly?

Like I could understand playing Draconic Roar if there was a reason to play Dragons but unfortunately all red has for good dragons right now is Thunderbreak Regent and Dragonlord Atarka.

Having an instant speed 2-mana answer to Advocate and having unconditional efficient burn to the face are two different issues. I personally prefer having cards with block-specific upsides and downsides than purely efficient answers, but I can understand that it's a matter of taste.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

I don't know why people think Mirrorwing Dragon is going to do anything in standard when Zada, Hedron Grinder couldn't. One of them only lets you copy stuff so you can't get blown out, the other is a really lovely dragon getting released soon.

Because Zada doesn't protect itself from removal and Mirrorwing does?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

whydirt posted:

Having an instant speed 2-mana answer to Advocate and having unconditional efficient burn to the face are two different issues. I personally prefer having cards with block-specific upsides and downsides than purely efficient answers, but I can understand that it's a matter of taste.

I would be more appreciative of Draconic Roar if we actually had dragons to gain the benefit.

As it stands you would never in a million years play Roar in RDW because "it kills Advocate on turn 2" and that's all it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
A 4/5 flier that is hard to kill without getting plague winded isn't bad, it'd probably be great if there were some decent 1 drop mana dorks to ramp into it reliably on turn 3-4. Even if rattleclaws were still around, turn 3 thunderbreak into this guy would be ok, but storm breath dragon it isn't.

• Locked thread