Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

uPen posted:

I just don't want to let google know I spent 22 minutes at home depot.

But then you can get like a third of a cent from Google Opinion Rewards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

Are people unironically talking about using cell phone firewall programs?

It's amazing how angry he is about it too.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Hello I can help you with this. First, which phone is it? You mentioned that you can get root but not replace the ROM.

Thanks!

It's the HTC 10. I haven't bought it yet, I'm waiting to be sure I can lock it down via network control before I do. According to my googling, you can unlock and root it, but ROM support isn't there, and Xposed isn't there either.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Probably the best non tinfoil hat answer would be to set up an always on vpn to home and to squid or something on that leg. You can even do https proxy and see 100% of everything. I figure there's also a way to configure your firewall server to sms or email you when it sees a new connection and you can reply to whitelist. I bet that's considerably easier to use and would even work for iPhone's I suppose.

Thank you, that's a really cool idea. I have a VPS I barely use that would be perfect for this. It's a lot of effort, and I probably won't do it for that reason (imagine how many emails I'd receive every time I open a webpage; I had expected to whitelist apps like Firefox to connect to any domain), but it's so novel, I'm curious.

1) When the phone boots up, but before the VPN connection has been created, is there a window where apps can access the network? Or does the OS prevent network access until the VPN is up? I googled "always on android", and it seems like it's a feature made for this scenario, but I don't know what happens exactly. It would be silly to go through all this effort if the apps just phone home at startup instead of during normal operation.

2) Do you know if Google excludes its own system processes from the always on VPN? My gut says no.

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 3, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MachinTrucChose posted:

So choosing to use a firewall to prevent software from making unwanted network connections, like people have been doing for 20 years, is goofy and stupid. OK bud.

I'm gonna stop posting for tonight, because I feel this derail only reduces my chances of having a sensible person see my post over the next few days. Good night, noble defenders of phone brand! I'm sure Google appreciates you laying down the law as to what should be considered acceptable, non-goofy, non-stupid use of a computer device.

have you tried not installing a flashlight app that wants internet permissions

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

atomicthumbs posted:

have you tried not installing a flashlight app that wants internet permissions

:iceburn:

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

vyst posted:

There are millions of installs for the firewall apps on the Play store alone. Are you really surprised? A smartphone is just a small form computer with phone and camera capabilities, there's nothing special about it.

Hell, my new phone will have more RAM and CPU cores than my previous laptop.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Oh, well if millions of people jumped off the bridge first, then by all means go ahead.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MachinTrucChose posted:

Thanks!

It's the HTC 10. I haven't bought it yet, I'm waiting to be sure I can lock it down via network control before I do. According to my googling, you can unlock and root it, but ROM support isn't there, and Xposed isn't there either.

Thank you, that's a really cool idea. I have a VPS I barely use that would be perfect for this. It's a lot of effort, and I probably won't do it for that reason (imagine how many emails I'd receive every time I open a webpage; I had expected to whitelist apps like Firefox to connect to any domain), but it's so novel, I'm curious.

1) When the phone boots up, but before the VPN connection has been created, is there a window where apps can access the network? Or does the OS prevent network access until the VPN is up? I googled "always on android", and it seems like it's a feature made for this scenario, but I don't know what happens exactly. It would be silly to go through all this effort if the apps just phone home at startup instead of during normal operation.

2) Do you know if Google excludes its own system processes from the always on VPN? My gut says no.

Ok, this video should give you a pretty good rundown of what you need to do.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
9F4J96KSRZ9JEB0U0K5FH0B

Pixel C Code. Please at least reply to say that you took it so I can edit my post.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MachinTrucChose posted:

There are millions of installs for the firewall apps on the Play store alone.

Great, install one and be done with it then??

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jesus, thread.

Firewall guy, this isn't really the thread for that. The rooted thread linked earlier might help, but really what you want is enough out of the mainstream that it's likely no one here will be able to help you.

Maybe xda?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

vyst posted:

Sounds like we're mocking the guy wanting to use a cell phone firewall program.

Dude, go visit the rooted thread.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pinegala posted:

9F4J96KSRZ9JEB0U0K5FH0B

Pixel C Code. Please at least reply to say that you took it so I can edit my post.

Just heads up, I tried to use this and it was already redeemed.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
When did the pixel c drop? Is it worth getting over a Shield? I figure the N final release will be accompanied by a device too.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

When did the pixel c drop? Is it worth getting over a Shield? I figure the N final release will be accompanied by a device too.
It won't, next devices will be Nexus phones around October/November.

Pixel C is a great tablet albeit it a little expensive if you don't have a discount code.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I thought they we're giving away those codes to anyone these days?

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I got the Pixel C without a keyboard and it's the best tablet I've ever owned. Everything is so snappy, the screen is gorgeous, the aspect ratio is a great compromise for documents, web browsing, comic reading, video watching. Sound is better than average. I don't think I would have got it without the developer discount though, the price with discount seems just right.

Also, while I'm here, I love my Nexus 4, still going strong. Does anything I throw at it, still doesn't lag, and only uses about 20-30% battery a day with moderate usage (web browsing, BBC news/sport, Google maps). I'm surprised to read about people complaining about the Nexus 5 and 6, I'd expect them to be an improvement.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

I thought they we're giving away those codes to anyone these days?
They stopped issuing codes a month or so back, and existing codes expire soonish.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mr. Powers posted:

Is Home Depot wheel chair accessible?
Does Home Depot have wheel chair accessible parking?
Is Home Depot cash only?

Does Home Depot serve alcohol?
Are there happy hour specials at Home Depot?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Does Home Depot have a great Craft Beer selection?

Does Home Depot have great cocktails?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My local Home Depot serves hot dogs and churros...

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
My local Home Depot has guys outside for hire named Hot Dog and Churro.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Trabajo?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Does Home Depot have an old school, vintage atmosphere?

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
I had a thread title moment. For a while I've struggled with autofocus randomly not working with my N5x camera. Slapped it into my palm and it started working. :iiam:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
AP has posted what they believe the 2016 Nexus devices will look like, based on a source:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07/05/exclusive-this-is-what-the-2016-nexus-phones-sailfish-and-marlin-will-look-like/

Interesting if they do drop the Nexus branding and just put the G on it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Luchadork posted:

AP has posted what they believe the 2016 Nexus devices will look like, based on a source:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07/05/exclusive-this-is-what-the-2016-nexus-phones-sailfish-and-marlin-will-look-like/

Bezels are pretty sizable but pretty nice lookin nonetheless.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
After only 11 days, I just got my official Google flannel case for my Nexus 5X from China that cost $10 instead of $35 (eBay link). It appears to be the genuine article (came in the original packaging with the embossed "X" and correct typeface), but likely one of their B-grade castoffs they couldn't justify selling for $35 overseas.

The TPU portion is very good quality with no warping or injection molding artifacts, but the flannel isn't cut quite right compared to others photos on the internet. As you can see, the fabric doesn't fit as tightly around the camera and fingerprint reader openings as they should.

Still a pretty decent case and I got what I paid for, but it wasn't quite the steal I hoped it would be.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 6, 2016

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
For some reason, I can't turn the wifi on my galaxy S5 on anymore. To be more specific, I'll flip the switch to the right, and it'll just instantly flip back off. I've tried to wipe the cache and do a settings reset but it still isn't working. Anyone able to help?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you have a Menards near you, supposedly some have the 5x folio case on closeout sale for 5 bucks. The one by me didn't have any.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
OnePlus continues to be a good phone maker: http://www.droid-life.com/2016/07/05/oneplus-3-imei/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Luchadork posted:

OnePlus continues to be a good phone maker: http://www.droid-life.com/2016/07/05/oneplus-3-imei/

drat, they must work hard at finding new ways to be stupid.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Parallel Playa posted:

For some reason, I can't turn the wifi on my galaxy S5 on anymore. To be more specific, I'll flip the switch to the right, and it'll just instantly flip back off. I've tried to wipe the cache and do a settings reset but it still isn't working. Anyone able to help?

Were you trying to root it when that happened? I think I tried to do a systemless root on my MXP once and ended up with broken wifi.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Luchadork posted:

At least the glass is bigger on this one. Maybe BT performance won't suck as much as it does on my 6P.
Bezels don't looks that much smaller. Having a flat back again will be nice.

Will be interesting to see the sales difference between the 5 and 5.5" models, when the only differences are screen size/resolution and battery size.

Luchadork posted:

I'm as anti-One+ as anyone, but thats a pretty dumb thing to complain about.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 6, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luchadork posted:

Or they'll call it the Nexus G because G is the 7th letter in the alphabet.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Luchadork posted:

Never Settle for OnePlus

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ilkhan posted:

I'm as anti-One+ as anyone, but thats a pretty dumb thing to complain about.

The IMEI leakage thing is a red herring for the fact that OnePlus has bad opsec in general.

If OnePlus is talking to an update service via plain old http, they have no way to ensure that the service providing update information is actually the service that's run by OnePlus.

That's bad security practice, even if it didn't transmit your IMEI at all. That should happen over SSL with cert/key pinning so you can confirm that the service you are talking to (and more importantly, receiving a response from) is yours and not an attacker's.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Parallel Playa posted:

If you're rooted and have system write privileges you could probably fix the problem by renaming your wpa_supplicant.conf file to wpa_supplicant.conf.bak and rebooting. Bearing in mind this will break all future updates unless you can restore the stock software.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lmao why do people still root their phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RZA Encryption posted:

Lmao why do people still root their phones

So the (((globalists))) can't see what they're up to.