Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Just in case I've missed anything: we're all hosed aren't we?

Yes.

People who are hosed:

-The poor
-Anyone with any job anywhere along a supply chain that ends in exports to any country
-The middle class
-Anyone who buys food/clothes/petrol.

People who are not hosed:
-Currency speculators
-Trade negotiators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

LemonDrizzle posted:

Anyway, apparently Crabb is dropping out of the leadership race tomorrow so the remaining choices are bad, mad, and loving crazy. Go bad, I suppose.

Not just pulling out, supposedly his votes are going to Gove. The plan to gently caress over the Leadsom is so far working.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Diversify your holdings into canned goods and body armour IMO.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Chinese Gordon posted:

Yes.

People who are hosed:

-The poor
-Anyone with any job anywhere along a supply chain that ends in exports to any country
-The middle class
-Anyone who buys food/clothes/petrol.
-Anyone who isn't white
-Anyone who sounds "foreign"

People who are not hosed:
-Currency speculators
-Trade negotiators

You were missing a couple.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

ukle posted:

Not just pulling out, supposedly his votes are going to Gove. The plan to gently caress over the Leadsom is so far working.

Any plan that fucks over Leadsom is a good plan. May may (lol) be a terrifying authoritarian but at least she won't intentionally blow up the country just to prove a point, as Leadsom most assuredly would. Why do you think all the Kippers are backing Leadsom?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dell has blamed a Brexit-induced sterling meltdown for a double-digit price hike across its portfolio.

As we revealed last week, the British pound has weakened to a 31-year low against the US dollar, making price rises inevitable.

Today’s rate is 12.4 per cent lower than before the EU referendum.

Channel partners told us Dell had informed them of a blanket increase of ten per cent on 1 July, something they said they’ll need to ultimately pass onto customers.

“Customers expected it,” one told us, “there was an air of acceptance. Given the margins we operate on we can’t afford to swallow it [ourselves].”

Currency was an issue technology suppliers were already dealing with in 2015. Back then it led to previous price rises and subsequent spending forecast revisions - and now it’s been exacerbated by Brexit.

A spokeswoman for the Texan tech baron confirmed the changes:

“We carefully consider price moves for our customers and partners, and have worked diligently over the past several months to postpone any increases pending the outcome of the EU referendum.”

“Our component costs are priced in US dollars,” she added, “and unfortunately, the recent strengthening of the US dollar versus sterling and other currencies in the EMEA region, following the UK’s decision to leave the European Union, will have a direct impact on the price we sell to our UK customers and partners.”

The PR said the firm understood that this is an “uncertain time for many British businesses.”

Channel people working with Dell's arch rivals Hewlett Packard Enterprise and HP Inc said those vendors have yet to put up their list price but expected it to happen.

A spokeswoman at HP Inc said:

"HP is carefully assessing the Brexit situation to better understand its business and economic impact. In the meantime, we continue to actively move forward with day-to-day operations supporting employees, customers and partners.”

HPE had not responded at the time of writing.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/05/dell_confirms_price_rise_post_brexit_vote_as_uk_pound_stumbles/

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

sean10mm posted:

You were missing a couple.

Fortunately anyone who looks/sounds a bit foreign/brown will be deported, thus allowing them to escape the coming terror.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Chinese Gordon posted:

Any plan that fucks over Leadsom is a good plan. May may (lol) be a terrifying authoritarian but at least she won't intentionally blow up the country just to prove a point, as Leadsom most assuredly would. Why do you think all the Kippers are backing Leadsom?

they too crave nuclear annihilation

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunately the market is experiencing a lot of instability at the moment and I sat on the crunchie so it broke.

Is this what happened during the credit crunch?

Idk I'm not good with money.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

I was at a pro-immigration rally yesterday and the PCSOs were milling about the event handing out "how to handle being a victim of hate crime" leaflet to anyone they felt looked different enough to be a potential victim of racial hate crimes.

They handed me one. :geno:

Maybe they could sense you were a Leave voter and were trying to impress upon you how catastrophically stupid and morally bankrupt your idiotic choice had been :shrug:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Well it was a bracing week after the Referendum but I'm heartened to see that both the party of government and party of opposition have worked together to put forward and begin implementing credible plans to negotiate our exit from the EU. It's good to see that our currency has began the long journey back up to strength against the dollar, that racist incidents are being stamped on hard by the police, and boy what a relief that we've not devolved into stupid party politics to succeed Hamfucker or moronic PLP efforts to unseat Corbyn, this would really not be the time for that!

e; lmao Gonzo's increasingly long bans for having a go at 'Flaps

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Well it was a bracing week after the Referendum but I'm heartened to see that both the party of government and party of opposition have worked together to put forward and begin implementing credible plans to negotiate our exit from the EU. It's good to see that our currency has began the long journey back up to strength against the dollar, that racist incidents are being stamped on hard by the police, and boy what a relief that we've not devolved into stupid party politics to succeed Hamfucker or moronic PLP efforts to unseat Corbyn, this would really not be the time for that!

When you go back to your universe, please take us with you.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

Maybe they could sense you were a Leave voter and were trying to impress upon you how catastrophically stupid and morally bankrupt your idiotic choice had been :shrug:

Maybe you could gently caress off from this thread, and every thread.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Darth Walrus posted:

When you go back to your universe, please take us with you.

Please leave TIC here though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Chinese Gordon posted:

Diversify your holdings into canned goods and body armour IMO.

ive spent a lot of money since the brexit vote and i'm about ot buy a car too

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Also, when whatever horrifying Tory candidate wins and doesn't call an election, I hope all those Lexiters will realise just how monumentally moronic their Leave votes were. Austerity Max is about to hit and nobody will be able to stop it for 4 years. Nice one, lads.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was hoping to buy a new PC at some point but hahaha as if the price hikes into £ weren't already bad enough.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I was hoping to buy a new PC at some point but hahaha as if the price hikes into £ weren't already bad enough.

iwas hoping to as well then my phone broke 1 month into a new sim only contract

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/750409031337017344
I guess this is the last throw of the dice to get him out before tomorrow lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

:rip: Gonzo UnFree

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 5, 2016

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Chinese Gordon posted:

Also, when whatever horrifying Tory candidate wins and doesn't call an election, I hope all those Lexiters will realise just how monumentally moronic their Leave votes were. Austerity Max is about to hit and nobody will be able to stop it for 4 years. Nice one, lads.

They don't understand austerity. I am increasingly under the impression they don't make the connection between public spending and the government. I think they see the government as a bit of entertainment and something above their station like particle physics or something. They have a look when its on the front page or the news but then forget about it. When they have their welfare cut and the binmen only come once a month they don't blame the government. It's just something that happens innit. Something mysterious in the country has gone all buggerup. Probably migrants.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

See they waited until the last moment to bring out the really incriminating stuff.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oberleutnant posted:

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/750409031337017344

More like Pol Pot Noodle

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Laradus posted:

See they waited until the last moment to bring out the really incriminating stuff.

It's brutal stuff and he should resign immediately imvho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

:rip: Gonzo UnFree

he was being incredibly weird

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Shame they don't have any juicy pictures of him sloppily eating those noodles or it'd be a proper front page article.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

idk if anyone saw the front page of the sun yesterday but it was anger that teh FA's chief of communications had a personalised head rest towel on the flight back from the euros

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Not Operator posted:

Shame they don't have any juicy pictures of him sloppily eating those noodles or it'd be a proper front page article.

The inevitable, sweet, cleansing light of nuclear fire cannot come soon enough, in my opinion.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Following on from anger that a footballer bought a house for his mother

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Following on from anger that a footballer bought a house for his mother

it included the use of a lot of rather loaded words i'm sure they'd never use for a white footballer

unrelated but if you want to link/read FT articles just find it in google and load it in the google cache to get around the paywall

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

idk if anyone saw the front page of the sun yesterday but it was anger that teh FA's chief of communications had a personalised head rest towel on the flight back from the euros

My god, the excess, not seen the like since we had to have the school logo embroidered on our jumpers.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

he was being incredibly weird

I haven't actually looked what he got hit for, I just wanted to make the pun

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Was this posted in here?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...4b0f7b55795b23f

quote:

Tory leadership hopeful Andrea Leadsom gave a “car crash” performance in the first hustings in front of MPs Parliament this evening, according to a senior Conservative.

[…]

One MP said: “She spent too long on Europe and started going on about attachment theory of babies, it was all over the place.”

Another Tory said when Leadsom started taking about frontal lobes of babies, “she lost the room.”

I want to hear her crackpot theories about baby brains.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

I have it on good authority that diversifying your holdings will help you weather the coming storm.

I've diversified then tenner I found in my jeans last night into a bottle of cheap bourbon and a crunchie.

You are Kelly AICM5P

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

dispatch_async posted:

I want to hear her crackpot theories about baby brains.
Same as most Tories: they're delicious.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Not Operator posted:

It's good to stop, take a moment, and remind yourself that a political Butterfly Effect occurred because a man did not eat a thing properly.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

vodkat posted:

These types of funds will typically hold 20% liquid to cover market volatility and may have increased that in the run up to brexit, along with potentially revising down the value of their holdings. Now too many people have asked for their money back and they need to firesale their assets in the next month. This is exactly like a bank run and it is potentially very bad news.

Try closer to 10% or less cash. Plus the point is they are able to pre-emptively trigger the lock-in when they sense even a sniff of withdrawals outstripping liquid assets (and indeed are told to do so by the regulator and their own internal risk departments), which is likely what has happened here.

It might be an indicator of very bad news, but it might just be a brief period of uncertainty highlighting a deeply flawed fund model. Because an open-ended fund with illiquid assets is a really dumb idea, and the vast majority of equally dumb ideas along those lines died off in 2008. I have no idea how these funds have survived so long since the introduction of REITs.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

HJB posted:

It's good to stop, take a moment, and remind yourself that a political Butterfly Effect occurred because a man did not eat a thing properly.

A butterfly effect that reached all the way to Australia where they tried to do the same thing the day of our election with Shorten eating a sausage sideways.

http://www.news.com.au/national/fed...1bf58261e1c472b

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
A contributing factor to John Kerry not becoming president of the US was asking for swiss cheese on a cheesesteak in Philly. Food is serious business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jose posted:

iwas hoping to as well then my phone broke 1 month into a new sim only contract

just claim it back on home contents insurance

• Locked thread