Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think I would have liked Darksiders 2 a lot if it weren't for the loot. Tacking on Diablo style loot can make a lot of games worse. I can kinda get it for games like Vermintide where it's an incentive for the player to keep playing after beating it, even if I personally don't like it. But in a Zelda style game it's just a pain in the rear end.

That part where it turns into a zombie shooter for a weirdly long amount of time also sucks.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
All I remember about Darksiders 2 is that the first hub world was this beautiful verdant area with great music that culminated in fighting a gigantic boss in a very nice action set piece.
Then the rest of the game was your generic poo poo brown and jaundice yellow hallways with tedious, boring music and awful layouts.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

All I remember about Darksiders 2 is that the first hub world was this beautiful verdant area with great music that culminated in fighting a gigantic boss in a very nice action set piece.
Then the rest of the game was your generic poo poo brown and jaundice yellow hallways with tedious, boring music and awful layouts.

I vaguely remember the area after the Land of the Dead being this cool ruined palace area that looked pretty nice. Yeah some of it was brown but that's not an inherently bad thing.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Veotax posted:

Something that gets to me is when a game that has expanded universe bullshit (books, comics, straight-to-DVD movies and whatever) eventually they seem to come to the conclusion that you know all that poo poo before playing.

Both Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 introduced villains from extended media and expected me to care about them

sorry who are you talking about?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

im pooping! posted:

sorry who are you talking about?

Kai Leng, or is that the joke?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i didnt care about him either but i didnt assume reading something about him in a mass effect book would make me understand or care about him, i just assumed he was a minion or whatever

*i guess the guy from rear end creed 3 was that cross idiot

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Halo has gone the same way since Bungie left. You didn't to know any EU crap to get the gist of the plot, but now...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Calaveron posted:

I tried to like the first darksiders, I really did. The stages and stuff were cool but the bosses were just miserable slogs to deal with that were just so not fun I can't do it, I can't keep playing past the first bat boss.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Halo has gone the same way since Bungie left. You didn't to know any EU crap to get the gist of the plot, but now...

Yeah, Halo 4 was the worst. A new bad guy shows up who was in some recent book and they just assume you're up to speed on it and never explain what was going on.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Worse yet, the tie-in novels were either:

-Written in a really off-putting first-person perspective

or

-Written by Karen Traviss. Why does anyone keep hiring her after her track record of mangling every popular IP she's gotten her hands on? Among other things, she turns Doctor Halsey (the woman behind the SPARTAN program) from the morally-conflicted scientist who tries to do the right thing by rescuing as many suicide attack child soldiers as she can into... A really smug self-assured type that everyone else hates for what she did. Including people who were just as involved (the drill instructor of the SPARTAN program) or worse (the admiral who signed off on it all in the first place).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure Karen Traviss knows where some very important bodies are buried.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Traviss makes Richard Knaak look skilled.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Traviss makes Richard Knaak look skilled.

How do her books compare to the Resident Evil books?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Are they better or worse than RE1's script?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Never read the RE books, but she makes the original PS game look like Shakespeare, even if you don't count the seminal literary work "4 itchy tasty"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Never read the RE books, but she makes the original PS game look like Shakespeare, even if you don't count the seminal literary work "4 itchy tasty"

Okay how do they compare to rebecca chambers fighting zombie t-rexes?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Okay how do they compare to rebecca chambers fighting zombie t-rexes?

Depends; does the game portray the zombie t-rexes as the real protagonists who are just trying to overcome the oppression of the so-called heroes (who probably ate a t-rex baby at some point in the backstory)?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the RE books.

Well the RE1 and 2 books anyway, the other ones where kind of lovely.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Why do so many people on the internet have such an encyclopedic knowledge of lovely throw-away tie-in novels that they know the authors by name and have weird vendettas against individual ones they don't like?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Why do so many people on the internet have such an encyclopedic knowledge of lovely throw-away tie-in novels that they know the authors by name and have weird vendettas against individual ones they don't like?

You wanna know why nerds who play videogames also like reading books about said videogames?

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Why do so many people on the internet have such encyclopedic knowledge of lovely movies that they know the directors name and have weird vendettas against individual ones they don't like?

Uwe Boll.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's not so much the tie-in novels I don't get, so much as using them as story reference for the next game - how much of your userbase can you count on to buy them?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Dude, its the internet. There is a collective of people who literally chronicle the daily life of some random person for almost a decade and have an encyclopedia all about said person. And I'm sure it isn't because they really like that person.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

WoW is pretty infamous for that. The introduction to the most recent expansion doesn't make much sense if you don't have at least the general gist of what happened in the novel that bridged it with the last expansion.

...The gist being "the final boss of the last raid was arrested and put on trial (instead of being killed like every other boss), but he got sprung out by a traitorous time-traveling dragon. They traveled to an alternate universe of the Orc homeworld set 30 years in the past, where he convinced his AU dad not to use crack demon magic, but to rapidly industrialize the orcs so they would invade the MU version of Azeroth because he's a petty vengeful dick." :suicide:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

loving unskippable credits sequences. Why is this even a thing. I've recently beat both Just Cause 3 and MGS: Revengeance, and both being pretty big budget productions have a loving looong list of people over something like 10+ different companies working for it. Both are also the type of game when you might want to immediately play more or do a New Game+. So why should I sit through all this bullshit, I had to leave it running for a few solid minutes. Pressed every button on the keyboard, gamepad, held arrows to maybe speed it up. Nope. Can't really Alt-F4 out of it, because who knows if my progress was saved already, maybe I'll be allowed to continue, or maybe I'll be booted back to the boss fight. Alt-Tab? Credits paused fuckface.

Why, loving why. What is the purpose of this poo poo, is there a single person on this planet that cares about reading names of hundreds of random people who made gaem. Please tell me I won't have to do it again if I complete MGS:R on higher difficulty :negative:

I don't care. It's cool that you made the game, but I just don't give a gently caress. Just put that poo poo in the main menu somewhere, so that normal people can never click on it.

I just finished Murdered: Soul Suspect which is a game where you play a detective who gets killed, then runs around Salem trying to figure out who killed him and by extension who's been doing all the serial killings lately. I enjoyed it and had fun, but two things dragged it down:

1. There is no combat, which is fine for this kind of game, but there are forced stealth sections where demon wraith things patrol certain areas. They will eat your soul/ghostly form pretty quickly and easily, and move realy fast when they have been alerted to your presence. If that happens, your only course of action is to find hiding spots which are apparently the residue from previous souls or something? Whatever, hide in them until the demon gives up and teleports back to its original patrol route. They are never seen in numbers more than 4 (the last encounter with them is 4, the previous 2 encounters there were 3 then the rest i think were 2 or 1) and when you enter an area you get a scream to let you know they are about but you can always tell you're about to have them literally spawn in if you use your ghosty vision and see crows through the walls (crows can be startled to attract and distracts the demons)
They are loving annoying and should have either been cut completely or made a more serious overall threat in the actual town of Salem, because the town is teeming with the hiding spots but demons are never, ever seen there, only in the story mission locations.

2. The credits are unskippable. And that is poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

princecoo posted:

Murdered: Soul Suspect: there are forced stealth sections where demon wraith things patrol certain areas. They are loving annoying and should have been cut completely

Seriously. I liked the concept of the game, and there are bits of it that are pretty good, but I found it just had too many inconvenient and irritating bits getting in the way. And the good bits weren't quite done as well as you'd hope either. Like, the investigating is fine, but it's really easy to miss clues or get stuck on trying to do things in the wrong order, which both feel like the game penalising you for not magically knowing exactly how the writers wanted you to proceed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

WoW is pretty infamous for that. The introduction to the most recent expansion doesn't make much sense if you don't have at least the general gist of what happened in the novel that bridged it with the last expansion.

...The gist being "the final boss of the last raid was arrested and put on trial (instead of being killed like every other boss), but he got sprung out by a traitorous time-traveling dragon. They traveled to an alternate universe of the Orc homeworld set 30 years in the past, where he convinced his AU dad not to use crack demon magic, but to rapidly industrialize the orcs so they would invade the MU version of Azeroth because he's a petty vengeful dick." :suicide:

Isn't the vast majority of the backstory told entirely through tie-in novels? Like you're told the basics of it like "this dragon is evil because he's crazy because of old gods. Also he's basically god." But it either doesn't really get fleshed out until way late into the storyline, or unless you've read the stupid tie in novels which every quest tends to assume you have already since the explanatory quests are usually just summaries of the books.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Seriously. I liked the concept of the game, and there are bits of it that are pretty good, but I found it just had too many inconvenient and irritating bits getting in the way. And the good bits weren't quite done as well as you'd hope either. Like, the investigating is fine, but it's really easy to miss clues or get stuck on trying to do things in the wrong order, which both feel like the game penalising you for not magically knowing exactly how the writers wanted you to proceed.

I found the PC port controls were poo poo on occasion too. You can kill the demon wraith things if you walk up behind them and complete a tedious QTE where, on PC, you hold R and press a movement direction key (wasd) plus either left or right mouse click.
The exact combination of buttons is random each time, and it's awkward to find yourself trying to hold R and press down on D while trying to keep your other fingers on W and A incase you mess up and have to run away. On a similar note, there are areas where the floor/ground is all gross and glowing, where demon arms come out and drag you to god knows where if you walk on them. They are easy to avoid with the exception of the last one, which for story reasons appears under your feet, instantly trapping you. There is a QTE to escape them too - it's the same as the demon killing one, and if you, say, walk forward into one and then find yourself getting a QTE that says to press W and whatever mouse button, congrats, you escaped the demon pit and immediately walked back into it. Good job. Rebindable controls? Nope.

Finding clues was good but the indicator that you were looking at the right thing was picky on occasion too - I spent several wasted minutes looking for something only to find that the thing I'd looked at first was actually the right thing, just the prompt to investigate it didn't pop up because I was standing slightly to the right of where they wanted me to. The ghost graffiti was the worst for this, you'd follow the clues to a location you knew it had to be, but the prompt to reveal it was always some weird position where if you were too close to the wall it wouldn't pop, too far away or too much to the left or right and it wouldn't pop, you'd have to be exactly right.

A lot of wasted potential. You can do poltergeist poo poo on electronics to draw people towards them, so you can posess them or get them to open something/let someone sneak past, but this ability is available everywhere but literally only effects the select few NPCs it's intended for. So you can, for example, run around the police station setting off phones and turning on fans, turning on TVs and radios, loving with printers and copy machines sending papers everywhere and just loving up the place in general and nobody bats an eye - until later when you have to use the distractions to get someone out of the holding area. Even then, the distractions only effect the few cops who are actively in the way, everyone else doesn't notice the poo poo going down.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

princecoo posted:

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Yeah, the demons were pretty annoying. Don't know if I'd call it the thing dragging this game down though, it was half-baked and mediocre in every way.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Leal posted:

Dude, its the internet. There is a collective of people who literally chronicle the daily life of some random person for almost a decade and have an encyclopedia all about said person. And I'm sure it isn't because they really like that person.

I'm trying to think of who you are referring to. Chris-Chan?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

I'm trying to think of who you are referring to. Chris-Chan?

That would be it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Veotax posted:

Something that gets to me is when a game that has expanded universe bullshit (books, comics, straight-to-DVD movies and whatever) eventually they seem to come to the conclusion that you know all that poo poo before playing.

Both Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 introduced villains from extended media and expected me to care about them and now I'm playing Halo 5 and it seems to presume I've read some of the dozens of EU bullshit that's come out since the last game. I remember people telling me that Master Chief was the last Spartan II, now he's suddenly leading a whole team of them? The Prometheans seemed contained to the planet from Halo 4, why do they seem to be all over the Galaxy now and why are they fighting the Covenant?

Supposedly the ME novels are unbelievably bad and Kai Leng is an even worse character in them. Reading the EU poo poo is never worth it; if they're mining a series' tie-ins, the story sucks donkey dicks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Supposedly the ME novels are unbelievably bad and Kai Leng is an even worse character in them. Reading the EU poo poo is never worth it; if they're mining a series' tie-ins, the story sucks donkey dicks.

It's even worse because the game buys into the hype as well. Everybody goes on and on about how super dangerous this guy is supposed to be. Then you actually fight him, and of course you clown him hard because you're loving Shephard while he's just a weeaboo with a bad haircut and knockoff space Ray-Bans. But then the game pretends like it was a hard-fought standstill that you only just barely escaped with your life, so you have to go ahead and later on murder his obnoxious rear end a second time just to be rid of him.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm an idiot and I actually read the first three books, I don't remember him being too terrible in those (relatively), though I barely remember him at all in the books. I heard he got worse in the fourth book that may not even be canon anymore (that's the one where he eats Anderson's cereal and pisses in a plant pot).

If there is one thing I'll give the Mass Effect EU credit for is that it goes out of it's way to never contradict a player's choice from the games. Shepard never appears or is given a gender, any characters who can die never appear after the games they can die in (Wrex and the ME1 human squad mates never appear in anything set after ME1 and Garrus & Tali never appear after ME2) etc. You compare that to the Dragon Age EU and it's obvious that there is a specific canon in mind for DA (Alistair is the king, but that's the only thing I can remember off the top of my head).

Veotax has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Jul 5, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did anyone read the novel released alongside Elemental: War of Magic?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Hell I didn't know there were ME novels. I didn't think anything of Kai Lang suddenly showing up because I'm used to Bioware pulling villains out of thin air and expecting you to care about them .

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I didn't know he was from novels when I first played the game but I had some suspicions due to the infuriating plot immunity he got every time he showed up. Uh oh it's Plot Jackass here to prance around for another three cutscenes while shepard fails to do literally anything about him for no explainable reason, because I guess some writer decided he was just so Cool that everybody else should enjoy how Cool he was too (he was not Cool)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You Must Build A Boat is an improvement on 10000000 on just about every level but it also does that stupid annoying user engagement trick that every mobile game and an increasing number of real games are doing where almost every action requires way more player inputs than it should. Win a reward on a mission? Now instead of just getting a pop-up that shows when you won you have to click that box a bunch of times or swipe your mouse across the screen. Want to upgrade your weapons or magic? Now instead of just choosing the upgrade and paying for it you have to mash the upgrade button and fill up a meter. It's all such transparent psychological bullshit that it makes me dislike the game out of principle.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Digirat posted:

I didn't know he was from novels when I first played the game but I had some suspicions due to the infuriating plot immunity he got every time he showed up. Uh oh it's Plot Jackass here to prance around for another three cutscenes while shepard fails to do literally anything about him for no explainable reason, because I guess some writer decided he was just so Cool that everybody else should enjoy how Cool he was too (he was not Cool)

I liked the cutscene where Kai Leng shows up to kill some politician or something and Shepard points a gun at him as if he isn't surrounded by a psychic barrier that can stop bullets. I'm pretty sure he'd already been a boss fight at that point and man did you have to shoot him a lot then so it feels extra limp.

I just looked it up and oh boy it's even better than I remembered. Thane shows up to fight him for no reason, shepard and her squad don't open fire when he's on the ground or thane's backed off because idk, honour or something, he has totally badass poses and moves you guys omg and at the end shepard's shots have to miss so he can get away even though he's surrounded by a bulletproof mindshield, come the gently caress on it's a core gameplay mechanic. He has a stand-off with shepard because he wanted to look cool or something, just kill the dude and run away because you are using your mind powers to block bullets. And those dweeby loving glasses or whatever they're supposed to be, I completely forgot those existed. Ugh.

They kept forgetting the whole bulletproof shields thing in most of ME and it annoyed me every time. When Saren kills the other duder at the start of ME1 (and if you read ~*the codex*~) the cutscene makes a point of showing him get close enough to the guy that he won't hit the shield. Then they drop it and people in armour act as if a gun pointed at them is as threatening as it would be today. There's no point having a stand-off, the bullets aren't going to do anything to you for a few seconds. Get to cover or run away or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

I'm an idiot and I actually read the first three books, I don't remember him being too terrible in those (relatively), though I barely remember him at all in the books. I heard he got worse in the fourth book that may not even be canon anymore (that's the one where he eats Anderson's cereal and pisses in a plant pot).

If there is one thing I'll give the Mass Effect EU credit for is that it goes out of it's way to never contradict a player's choice from the games. Shepard never appears or is given a gender, any characters who can die never appear after the games they can die in (Wrex and the ME1 human squad mates never appear in anything set after ME1 and Garrus & Tali never appear after ME2) etc. You compare that to the Dragon Age EU and it's obvious that there is a specific canon in mind for DA (Alistair is the king, but that's the only thing I can remember off the top of my head).

Leliana was David Gaider's waifu who's plot armor let her survive potentially getting decapitated in Origins. Maybe now that he's not writing for Bioware we can be rid of her in DA 4.