Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dias posted:

Eh, it's kinda hard to tell how much you should be speaking, especially if no one tries to assert themselves in commentary. Don't be too harsh on the guy.

There's a lot to talk about but seriously holy poo poo, breathe a little, it's a fast game it can speak for itself sometimes.

Kikas posted:

Does the WR get all the skips/zips first try? I can't imagine where Fladervy lost 2 whole minutes :psyduck:

Also I was under the impression White Socks was doing a pretty good job with the commentary, I know that the dev didn't get to talk much, but Freedom Planet is a visually busy game and trying to watch it without someone explaining it is really confusing.

I dunno about all of them first try, but record's pretty loving optimised, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ThisguyspeaksreallyreallyfastbutIdon'tknowifhe'sjustafasttalkeringeneralorjustreallynervous

As a non-native english speaker I really have to turn the volume up and I still have trouble making out what he's saying since he's dropping a thousand words per minute

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

this run would be better if it was made out of paper

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Just nervous. Give him time to breathe and calm down.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

Best runs so far for me: Tropical freeze race, Jedi academy (seriously, watch this ASAP) and of course Romscout's Awesome SoTN Adventure.

the Dawn of Sorrow run was also really really nail-biting at the end

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

That was something like 3 years ago, when Dustforce was out for barely a year. Now we've got practiced folk and apparently one of two people capable of doing all-SS runs to completion.
This was SGDQ 2014, and last year it seems like they did Any% specifically to keep it reasonable.

Those levels are just super loving hard to complete, much less SS, and I'm not surprised it's a hard thing to pull off consistently.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh and link's awakening was p cool too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
thinking about it this has more good runs so far then the same point then a lot of the other gdq events, to me at least

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I'm glad guacamelee is getting run, I like that game a lot. Also, freedom planet runner did really well! I was grateful for white socks guy explaining what was happening, because I would have been totally lost otherwise.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I just turned on Dustforce after years and I could barely complete the jumps in the tutorial. Those SS levels would destroy me. I wonder if I should use something besides the PS3 controller's lovely D-pad?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
screen tearing like a motherfucker

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

the Dawn of Sorrow run was also really really nail-biting at the end

Oh yes, I only caught the latter part, including the fantastic ending.

I have to VOD Link's Awakening later. There's enough good and interesting blocks so I haven't been able to catch up during the event this year.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Megafunk posted:

I just turned on Dustforce after years and I could barely complete the jumps in the tutorial. I wonder if I should use something besides the PS3 controller's lovely D-pad.

I always found keyboard to be way easier

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Finally, French gets its time to shine.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I like Guacamelee a lot, especially with the enhanced version that is not being run. Shame, since I like the new 'devil trigger' you get, but I imagine it lost a lot of the glitches that lets them move around. Plus adding the volcano that takes a while to get through.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was told German was the fastest language tho.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
French saves 5 seconds over the course of the run.

Maybe the enjoyment from the English-speaking audience viewing it matters more in a non-competitive marathon environment than five drat seconds?

This was a bad idea.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Rorus Raz posted:

This was SGDQ 2014, and last year it seems like they did Any% specifically to keep it reasonable.

Those levels are just super loving hard to complete, much less SS, and I'm not surprised it's a hard thing to pull off consistently.

I wrote up a blurb but looks like its on the last page.

No mistake, the last set of levels is insanely hard, and the category itself is really punishing.
Its 112 SS's on yotta now, though. There are actually a handful of people that can finish ss all levels now, but Sivade's probably one of two that has the potential to really make it look amazing.

Megafunk posted:

I just turned on Dustforce after years and I could barely complete the jumps in the tutorial. I wonder if I should use something besides the PS3 controller's lovely D-pad.

I use a ps3 pad for dustforce and like it quite a bit. dpad affinity is super personal preference, though. Unless you're dealing with the garbage original 360 controller dpad.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Rirse posted:

Didn't that run crash on the last boss?

Oh, I completely forgot about that happening but yeah it did. Man, that was a hilarious run.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Golbez posted:

Maybe the enjoyment from the English-speaking audience viewing it matters more in a non-competitive marathon environment than five drat seconds?

This was a bad idea.

Well, it's not like anyone's paying any attention to the plot, anyway...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So I missed the start why is he playing as this character instead of the normal guy, who was there for like...a second?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Golbez posted:

This was a bad idea.

You won't be able to read the fuckin' text anyway.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Crain posted:

So I missed the start why is he playing as this character instead of the normal guy, who was there for like...a second?

The costume double damages on everything, including damage to yourself.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Though, there should be a version for the other character, too. Maybe it was a shorter menu or something.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Beekeeping and You posted:

Though, there should be a version for the other character, too. Maybe it was a shorter menu or something.

Yeah I think there is a costume for Juan that does the same, but the girl's costumes are after his. So I imagine it faster to just go to the bottom to grab her then scroll through all of his other outfits.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Rirse posted:

The costume double damages on everything, including damage to yourself.

Ah got it.

I love strats like that. Where in a normal playthrough you'd really need to weight the pros and cons, but for speedrunning the con is irrelevant since you're always 1 hit away from dead.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
so hey next time an FP run gets into GDQ remind me to try and raise money to do couch commentary even if I'm not running at the event because criminy am I loving sick of FP getting saddled with poo poo loving commentators every loving year

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

so hey next time an FP run gets into GDQ remind me to try and raise money to do couch commentary even if I'm not running at the event because criminy am I loving sick of FP getting saddled with poo poo loving commentators every loving year

Was white socks really that bad? He explained things pretty well from my point of view, but he was talking a lot. :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i dont think the run suffered too much from it, I liked it a lot

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i swear to gently caress i just heard someone fart on stream

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I thought the commentary was good. I don't mind if people talk too much as long as poo poo is actually being explained, dev commentary doesn't especially help with cutting down word count either. I think you're overreacting.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Golbez posted:

This was a bad idea.

As someone who is watching these more as a let's play than anything else, we have to recognize that this is a speedrunning event. While I don't personally care about saving ten seconds here and there, the people playing the game do.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I love the character design in this game, fire-head dude looks cool as poo poo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Summer Games Done Quick 2016 - i swear to gently caress i just heard someone fart on stream

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This video game's title sounds too much like guacamole to me... mmmm I'm hungry now, lol

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

He talked a bit too much, but both the dev and the runner were nervous mumbles. If you didn't point it out, I doubt I would have even noticed that he was a problem. Unless the dev complained himself, which I doubt, it's really not the problem you think it is. Better than 75% of other runs I've seen as far as commentary goes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

This video game's title sounds too much like guacamole to me... mmmm I'm hungry now, lol

woah

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Dias posted:

I thought the commentary was good. I don't mind if people talk too much as long as poo poo is actually being explained, dev commentary doesn't especially help with cutting down word count either. I think you're overreacting.

I'm mostly personally buttsore because it took like, hours of my time and like, two weeks to get Strife in that run all finalized and stuff and I might as well have not bothered for all the difference it made.

i'm also just not a fan of extremely motor mouth commentary in general, especially when a lot of it is redundant or wrong

I'm just gonna like, leave this here, because this is me right now, this is how I feel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWu4V56q10

Also, calling Fladervy a "nervous mumble" is a bit misleading. Dude can't really speak English.

same net effect I know but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Eonwe posted:

Oh good so I wasn't only my imagination

• Locked thread