Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Listening to old Motorsports Magazine podcasts since I'm bored as gently caress at work and the person filling in for my manager is a micromanaging gently caress who also happens to be right beside me so I need to look busy as opposed to reading 1980s parts catalogs. Quite a few interesting points so far from the tail end of 2009 to end of 2010:

- John Watson says Lauda fell out with Ron Dennis as early as summer 1983
- "Nico Rosberg will never win races"
- Alot of overhyping Schumacher's return, also of Kimi's move to Rally
- "A driver told me that one day Alonso will tell the true story of what happened at McLaren in 2007", really can't imagine what this is in retrospect. It couldn't have been that bad that he came back.
- Ron Dennis has had enough of his drivers complaining about how bad the cars are :allears:

And finally:
"Nico Rosberg seems to go about his business with a singular lack of drama or controversy" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

1500quidporsche posted:

And finally:
"Nico Rosberg seems to go about his business with a singular lack of drama or controversy" :allears:

Well yes, while Alonso may be dead and a robot, Nico was never alive and is Skynet's poo poo demo model.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Listening to old Motorsports Magazine podcasts since I'm bored as gently caress at work and the person filling in for my manager is a micromanaging gently caress who also happens to be right beside me so I need to look busy as opposed to reading 1980s parts catalogs. Quite a few interesting points so far from the tail end of 2009 to end of 2010:

- John Watson says Lauda fell out with Ron Dennis as early as summer 1983
- "Nico Rosberg will never win races"
- Alot of overhyping Schumacher's return, also of Kimi's move to Rally
- "A driver told me that one day Alonso will tell the true story of what happened at McLaren in 2007", really can't imagine what this is in retrospect. It couldn't have been that bad that he came back.
- Ron Dennis has had enough of his drivers complaining about how bad the cars are :allears:

And finally:

http://www.f1.cool
Not very informative, but entertaining as gently caress. They treat F1 with the proper amount of respect, which is to say - none. At all.

quote:

Alt+F1 is a weekly Formula 1 podcast from your friends at Giant Bomb. We run down the twists and turns of Earth’s fastest and most expensive urinating contest. Join us for race recaps, news from the wide world of racing and the latest on Pastor Maldonado.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 5, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

MustardFacial posted:

http://www.f1.cool
Not very informative, but entertaining as gently caress. They treat F1 with the proper amount of respect, which is to say - none. At all.

Love altf1

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its a pity Patronise F1 stopped posting and even their site is down now

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Frank Dernie's opinions on why there are no over takes:

a) soft tyres rubber the track too well on the racing line so nobody goes off it
b) (semi-)automatic gearboxes take all the skill out
c) engines that are too easy too drive

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

- "A driver told me that one day Alonso will tell the true story of what happened at McLaren in 2007", really can't imagine what this is in retrospect. It couldn't have been that bad that he came back

This needs to happen. You have no idea how badly I want to know more than just the Wiki page of what happened. [DESIRE TO KNOW MORE INTENSIFIES]

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Riso posted:

Frank Dernie's opinions on why there are no over takes:

a) soft tyres rubber the track too well on the racing line so nobody goes off it

He's right

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Riso posted:

kind of, anything off-line is covered in marbles

Riso posted:

this stuff is just dumb though. making it easier to shift doesn't somehow put everyone on a level playing field.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I do wish there were more proper F1 podcasts or media in general that didn't just do general as it happens reporting.

GramCracker posted:

This needs to happen. You have no idea how badly I want to know more than just the Wiki page of what happened. [DESIRE TO KNOW MORE INTENSIFIES]

With the amount of time that's passed I don't think it is really anything other than the fact that historically Ron has had a favorite driver in the team and Alonso wasn't that driver. I haven't seen 2007 so I can't say for certain, but history had shown that given two perfectly capable drivers Ron usually favors one much more than the other.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

wicka posted:

this stuff is just dumb though. making it easier to shift doesn't somehow put everyone on a level playing field.

The point of the shifting complaint is that in the old days it was a skill. When you hosed up the driver behind you was able to get closer. Now you squeeze a thing on the wheel and the computer decides the optimal point to shift.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Riso posted:

The point of the shifting complaint is that in the old days it was a skill. When you hosed up the driver behind you was able to get closer. Now you squeeze a thing on the wheel and the computer decides the optimal point to shift.

that just means there are other aspects of driving that have become more important to be good at. it's patently ridiculous to suggest that manual shifting is a skill the sport cannot go without. this is nothing more than traditional backwards thinking from people who aren't ever going to be convinced the modern era is good anyway. it's stupid to pander to them.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Riso posted:

The cars still have clutch pedals, so this is not totally true.

[edit] unless this is another situation of the worst thread not knowing how cars work again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah because the late 1980s was a hotbed of overtaking in F1 or something. I do not know.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

MustardFacial posted:

The cars still have clutch pedals, so this is not totally true.

[edit] unless this is another situation of the worst thread not knowing how cars work again.

Clutch is only used during starts

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The cars don't have clutch pedals. The only time the driver controls the clutch is at launch.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The 80s was mankind's best decade and we should strive to be more like it

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

I do wish there were more proper F1 podcasts or media in general that didn't just do general as it happens reporting.

With the amount of time that's passed I don't think it is really anything other than the fact that historically Ron has had a favorite driver in the team and Alonso wasn't that driver. I haven't seen 2007 so I can't say for certain, but history had shown that given two perfectly capable drivers Ron usually favors one much more than the other.

You're probably absolutely right. I'd be willing to wager part of the reason Alonso is back at McLaren is because "time heals all wounds," he's the #1 driver, and he's not fresh off a professional cheating stint with Flavio Biratore and Renault.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

yeah because the late 1980s was a hotbed of overtaking in F1 or something. I do not know.

right? all of these suggestions are from people who are convinced the 80s was the golden era of F1. not only is that revisionism at its finest, but the reality is that they just want to bitch and complain, there's literally nothing you can do to satisfy them. they are pointless people.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I loving love 80s F1 but people are aware that margins between cars of like, 30 seconds to a full lap by the end of the race were common, right? it was not overtake-topia

in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if the last 5-or-so years have been the easiest time for overtaking in F1 since wings were invented

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
If we went back to V8s and kicked all the little girls like Lewis and Nico out of the sport and brought back real men like Pastor and Our Max then the ratings would greatly improve and we'd have good races once again.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

1500quidporsche posted:

Ron really doesn't work like that. He's an "optimal solution at every point in time" person. i.e. painfully autistic.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Hexyflexy posted:

Ron really doesn't work like that. He's an "optimal solution at every point in time" person. i.e. painfully autistic.

Ron is a loving retard.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

El Hefe posted:

Ron is a loving retard.

Smartest retard you know of though.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 5, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

It certainly makes it harder to launch. You can retire right off the line if you are not careful.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I like the 80s cars, but the racing didn't seem particularly better than this years racing for example.

This year had been real good. y'all should wait till next year before you call for massive changes yet again.

Sorry but a loving stick shift isn't going to make the racing more exciting.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

It's pretty easy to tell who in this thread drives an automatic.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

I loving love 80s F1 but people are aware that margins between cars of like, 30 seconds to a full lap by the end of the race were common, right? it was not overtake-topia

in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if the last 5-or-so years have been the easiest time for overtaking in F1 since wings were invented

Close racing does not equal good racing, either. Some really good 80s races were absolute blowouts.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

right? all of these suggestions are from people who are convinced the 80s was the golden era of F1. not only is that revisionism at its finest, but the reality is that they just want to bitch and complain, there's literally nothing you can do to satisfy them. they are pointless people.

I supported the return to forced induction. This should have happened a long time ago.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

td4guy posted:

Oh stop being a smug rear end. I don't drive any real car at all. But stick shifting in sims isn't loving difficult.

We would see zero diffrence on track. And it would be dumbing the cars down for old douchbags who can't let the past go.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

I'd generally agree with this, I absolutely love 80s era F1 and overtaking was not one of its strong suits. And there are plenty of blow out races where a McLaren or Williams zoomed off into the distance never to be seen again. Most people who talk like Prost and Senna were overtaking each other every second corner going wheel to wheel from the lights going out to chequered flag usually haven't actually sat down and watched an 80s season all the way through, they've just watched Suzuka and gone "Oh how exciting!"

I also have to say I've probably worked my way through about 15 seasons of F1 now and 2012 is still one of my favorites. You can't completely dismiss the modern formula.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
'88 is a good example of a season having good races if you were not watching the red and white cars. Hell I liked this most recent race too, despite the lack of action at the front.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Norns posted:

Oh stop being a smug rear end. I don't drive any real car at all. But stick shifting in sims isn't loving difficult.

I heard a fleshlight also feels like a real pussy

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

El Hefe posted:

:jerkbag:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

'88 is a good example of a season having good races if you were not watching the red and white cars. Hell I liked this most recent race too, despite the lack of action at the front.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the '88 midfield. March-Judd 881 ftw.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

td4guy posted:

put your dick away pal this pissing contest is over

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

El Hefe posted:

I just want to say that I laughed at this.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You'd think pussy was the only stable commodity in supply in Venesuela.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

El Hefe posted:

Might want to change your circle of friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Norns posted:

We would see zero diffrence on track. And it would be dumbing the cars down for old douchbags who can't let the past go.

This is in my top 10 favourite posts of all SA.

• Locked thread