Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger
Goddamn it, "Bob" on a calculator would be 808! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

What the gently caress is going on with the proportions in this comic?! I mean, I know it's bad because Gilchrist, but there's something non-euclidean about Titzi there.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
At this point Gilchrist is just daring the ink itself to rise up and punch him in his goddamn face.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
I know I post only trash, but the last two Nancy strips really show Gilchrist still reigns over the shitpile.

I'm gonna read some McCoy cartoons to calm down. At least they don't tarnish the works of Bushmiller.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

treasureplane posted:

Barnaby (November 17, 1942)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Way back when, I read Mudpie in the local newspaper. I liked it at first, and it was pretty well drawn. I grew to hate Gilchrist over a couple years of the strip turning preachy and sometimes creepy.

What he's done to the Nancy characters, though, gently caress. It's one thing for your own characters to be trash, but he poo poo all over what used to be a clever comic.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

There's trickery afoot.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

No loving way.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

I hope Pinky gets black lung and dies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Her head is as big as her chest.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The "art" of Nancy really is the most lifeless thing I've ever seen in print.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Fort Knox

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (July 9, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft: The Poop Penny Sock Saga

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 22, 1930)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

everything has a price

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

Shit_that_didnt_happen.gif

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

EasyEW posted:

So, there's an armed guard outside of a bank that is closed, but also that bank's drive through lane is still operating. So... It's not closed? What's going on?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

]

... do they, like, not have Coinstar in Ohio?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I hate to defend Crankshaft, but I believe there are some ATMs that you can put deposit money at, so no teller required. Of course, that's usually paper money, but probably tomorrow's 'comedy' will be him trying to shove coins into an ATM.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Bobulus posted:

I hate to defend Crankshaft, but I believe there are some ATMs that you can put deposit money at, so no teller required. Of course, that's usually paper money, but probably tomorrow's 'comedy' will be him trying to shove coins into an ATM.

There are, but that's not an ATM. That's a pneumatic tube for a drive through. There are drive-up ATMs, but I don't know of any that use those tubes.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

SpacePig posted:

There are, but that's not an ATM. That's a pneumatic tube for a drive through. There are drive-up ATMs, but I don't know of any that use those tubes.

Try living in 1986 like the rest of us. :smug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Someone edit that so it's Crankshaft hitting the security guard with the penny sock or something. That's probably a lot of work.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SpacePig posted:

So, there's an armed guard outside of a bank that is closed, but also that bank's drive through lane is still operating. So... It's not closed? What's going on?

The guard is loving with The Shaft because his presence is intolerable and no one wants him around. The joke is that society has so much contempt for him that they aren't even putting in the effort for a convincing lie.

At least, that'd be the meaning of the strip if I was writing it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Selachian posted:

... do they, like, not have Coinstar in Ohio?

We do, never used it though. Also I'm back, did I miss anything exciting?

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Endless Mike posted:

Someone edit that so it's Crankshaft hitting the security guard with the penny sock or something. That's probably a lot of work.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Crankshaft loving drove there, didn't he?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Being unfamiliar with the concept of a drive-thru bank, I wondered why Crankshaft was standing in line at the gas station and was even halfway to a self-driving cars joke.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SynthOrange posted:

Dont forget that this thing still has the corpses of three people on board after they were hurled into deep space. :allears:
This was my first thought too. "Celebrate the nation's independence by being reminded of the horrible deaths of several people!"

treasureplane posted:

Barnaby (November 17, 1942)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Allen

In case anyone was wondering. It's interesting to me how someone can be apparently mega-popular and almost universally known in his day, but then now be relatively completely unknown (at least as far as I am aware).

F Minus

Mary Worth

I know I, for one, have been thinking nonstop "What will happen when Mr Allora shows up with the hand truck, now that Tommy is hurt? After all, they may not be using it now, but certainly they will need it soon--and more than ever! Oh whatever will they do if Mr Allora can't leave it for them, or bring it back another day? :sweatdrop:" Thank God that's settled. I couldn't take another moment of that tension.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

"Can't...go on...outfit...too groovy..."
The blood pool coming from around the corner is a nice touch.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

This isn't an edit in case you were wondering.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

This isn't an edit in case you were wondering.
Oh yeah right I'm su...:aaa:

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Odonata posted:

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Is this a Bernie Sanders joke? It feels like a Bernie Sanders joke.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Thanks for calling it out! Milt Gross is still my fav.

RandomFerret posted:

Am I crazy, or is Dave's Delicatessen the inspiration for Bob's Burgers? At first I thought it was just a coincidence and I was reading too much into the similar name and character design, but every single strip seems like it could be a joke in the show. They even had an episode where somebody involved in organized crime befriended Bob and started intimidating all his customers while Bob was too scared to ask him to stop.

Hmm. I'd never thought about it - but it does have sort of the same "feel"? Then again I'm not sure how familiar Loren Bouchard is with a relatively obscure 1930's comic.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

:stonk:

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

ˇplop!

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)

I'm really glad I was able to catch the full run of this story (there are a couple more). Comics pulled from this period can be very hit-and-miss, and I usually depend upon the "one-shot" nature of the comics I post to cover up gaps in available dates.

Mopsy

Woman protagonist, woman writer and artist. STILL with the golf jokes.

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

I thought it was $24.

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Slammy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 6, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I know I, for one, have been thinking nonstop "What will happen when Mr Allora shows up with the hand truck, now that Tommy is hurt? After all, they may not be using it now, but certainly they will need it soon--and more than ever! Oh whatever will they do if Mr Allora can't leave it for them, or bring it back another day? :sweatdrop:" Thank God that's settled. I couldn't take another moment of that tension.

Did you break Tommy's back?
Yes.
But the hand truck's okay?
Yes,
Well, all right then.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Everett True drowned a guy!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set looks young for their age.

Working Daze is lazy.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix leverages some star talent.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

dismas posted:

Everett True drowned a guy!

Hey, someone has to make Crystal Lake safe for vacationists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

Mr. Tweedy

Both of these boats returned to shore with one less person than they went out with.

• Locked thread