Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sprinkler chat, what's the best resource to learn this poo poo? My home inspector didn't run the sprinkler and I didn't realize it. One has some kind of break below ground and just bubbles water to side head. One was stepped on and the plastic bit that lets you set the field of stream is broken.

Not sure how to approach either issue with no manual or even way of figuring out manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dazerbeams posted:

School district is appealing our property since we bought it last year. Anyone have experience with lawyering up in this situation?

The number one piece of advice I have heard is; "If you are wondering if you should consult a lawyer, the answer is 'yes'."

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Hughlander posted:

Sprinkler chat, what's the best resource to learn this poo poo? My home inspector didn't run the sprinkler and I didn't realize it. One has some kind of break below ground and just bubbles water to side head. One was stepped on and the plastic bit that lets you set the field of stream is broken.

Not sure how to approach either issue with no manual or even way of figuring out manufacturer.
There's a DIY subforum to ask, they might be of some help. You can cut and cap the one that's broken below ground if you can dig down to it. For the broken bit, take it off and bring it to a hardware store, maybe see if they can identify it?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hughlander posted:

You can also call one of 40 lawn irrigation companies in your town and they'll come out and quote you to fix it. Or you can do it yourself. They aren't very complicated, just a pain to dig down to.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Hughlander posted:

I'm going through refurbing my system now, digging up and raising/lowering/replacing heads. Once you figure out what type of general crap you have, a good place to poke around is Sprinkler Warehouse. They are also pretty cheap compared to what a contractor, big box store, or landscape supply place will charge.

For breaks in the line, I used a telescoping repair thing that I love. I literally can't find it online right now, but it is a black telescoping section that collapses to 4" long and expands to 8" long and has a barb on each end for 1" black polyethylene hose. You need some extra hose clamps, and ideally a handheld propane torch and a tubing cutter. Look up local John Deere Landscape (or SiteOne, not sure if they have changed the name over yet), and ask for a fitting to repair a break in the line type you have, which may be black (mildly flexible) polyethylene or white (rigid) PVC. They'll also carry all the fittings and cutters etc you may need.

I'd take a picture but I just buried my last one in the ground last week, and I can't remember the brand.

Aside from the break question, PM me or I can give you an email and I can try to help with getting you up,and running. I'm not an expert but over the past year I've replaced/adjusted/hosed with a number of parts and pieces in a 48-head, 12-zone system.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress. I was just in the basement and found a big wet area in the carpet. We had a big storm about a week ago so I'm guessing it's from that.
1) What's the best way to dry it?
2) How do I track down where the water came in? It's not obvious at all from looking around - this spot borders two areas that are concrete, and both of those are dry. Nowhere else seems to be wet but it's a couple feet square of dampness. It doesn't smell like cat piss or anything that'd explain this.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

gently caress. I was just in the basement and found a big wet area in the carpet. We had a big storm about a week ago so I'm guessing it's from that.
2) How do I track down where the water came in? It's not obvious at all from looking around - this spot borders two areas that are concrete, and both of those are dry. Nowhere else seems to be wet but it's a couple feet square of dampness. It doesn't smell like cat piss or anything that'd explain this.

Is the area anywhere near your air conditioner?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

VendaGoat posted:

Is the area anywhere near your air conditioner?

Air conditioner is outside on a concrete platform, this is in the basement with a concrete floor and the main floor is also concrete (odd I know). I suspected the hot water heater that's a few feet away but don't see any moisture near it. It's possible it evaporated faster? I'm not sure how to check for that overflowing maybe just start the shower up and watch?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Air conditioner is outside on a concrete platform, this is in the basement with a concrete floor and the main floor is also concrete (odd I know). I suspected the hot water heater that's a few feet away but don't see any moisture near it. It's possible it evaporated faster? I'm not sure how to check for that overflowing maybe just start the shower up and watch?

I'm sorry, let me rephrase. Is the cooling unit, which should be attached to your duct work, inside the house, near the area?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mastershakeman posted:

Number thing you can and should do ASAP is get some air moving over it. A few strategically placed box fans should do the trick. If you can, pull up the carpet and try to expose the source so it can dry out without molding. If you have a basement dehumidifier, crank it up to full blast to pull moisture out of the air, or rent one from home depot or sunbelt rentals or something.

The source may not always be obvious, my basement flooding was because of ancient damaged buried clay drain pipes, which I fixed by sealing the exterior opening with quikrete (the old plug had crumbled through).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

VendaGoat posted:

I'm sorry, let me rephrase. Is the cooling unit, which should be attached to your duct work, inside the house, near the area?

The compressor right? No it's outside. This thing?

im pretty bummed because that was the one thing this house had going for it, no sign at all of water issues in the basement with half of it finished + carpeted. Man :I

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 29, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

The compressor right? No it's outside. This thing?

im pretty bummed because that was the one thing this house had going for it, no sign at all of water issues in the basement with half of it finished + carpeted. Man :I

You need a new canuter valve.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

VendaGoat posted:

You need a new canuter valve.

Serious replies only :colbert: (I don't think that's a real thing)
If it is actually the AC that'd be great, I just don't see how it could get water into the basement unless there's a hole in the ducts? The a/c unit is from the 80s and we have a two year warranty so it'd be great if it broke

I honestly have no idea how AC units route through the furnace ductwork so I guess it's time to learn.

The basement is partially finished, and the water is collected at a low spot where there's carpet at one point and the on the other side of a framed in wall (to a storage room and the furnace room) there's wetness on the bare floors there. It's pretty far from any wall and I can't find any trace of the water except in the low spot.

Time to pull the carpet and buy some box fans I guess. Thankfully I do have a dehumidifier so that's running.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 29, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think he is asking about the water that drains off your cooling coil that is inside of your furnace. If you had a lot of rain the water is either coming up through the floor, or seeping in through a wall and collecting in a low spot on your floor. It could be coming in all the time just not in enough quantity to collect. Is your basement finished? Check your baseboards for discoloration. You can also pull up the carpet it will have mildew along the route.

The good news is if it is coming in through a wall that is the cheapest fix, but first try cleaning your gutters and diverting the downspouts farther from the house.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Time to pull the carpet and buy some box fans I guess. Thankfully I do have a dehumidifier so that's running.

Was about to say to do this. You need to circulate air and vent to the outside, then run the dehumidifier with the windows closed. Cold outside air is drier than warm air (assuming there is some cold air outside this time of year where ever you live).

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I was going through some of my closing docs from my purchase a few years ago and noticed something weird.

The appraisal came back about $30k above the sale price, but the bank didn't submit that appraisal for underwriting. They submitted another with a different date that came back at exactly the sale price.

I had no knowledge of a 2nd appraisal being done.

I wonder what that was about...

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

So I was going through some of my closing docs from my purchase a few years ago and noticed something weird.

The appraisal came back about $30k above the sale price, but the bank didn't submit that appraisal for underwriting. They submitted another with a different date that came back at exactly the sale price.

I had no knowledge of a 2nd appraisal being done.

I wonder what that was about...

We sometimes order second appraisals when we fear the first appraisal is deficient or represents a potential buyback risk (usually if there is an inflated value). In those cases for us at least, we make sure the borrower is aware the second appraisal is being done (usually because it adds turn time).

Another time something like that could happen is if there was a potential property flip that occurred. Those guidelines vary not only from lender to lender (but at different times as well), so if you bought a home that was recently sold to someone else, that might have caused it as well.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

mastershakeman posted:

Serious replies only :colbert: (I don't think that's a real thing)
If it is actually the AC that'd be great, I just don't see how it could get water into the basement unless there's a hole in the ducts? The a/c unit is from the 80s and we have a two year warranty so it'd be great if it broke

I honestly have no idea how AC units route through the furnace ductwork so I guess it's time to learn.

The basement is partially finished, and the water is collected at a low spot where there's carpet at one point and the on the other side of a framed in wall (to a storage room and the furnace room) there's wetness on the bare floors there. It's pretty far from any wall and I can't find any trace of the water except in the low spot.

Concrete is permeable, meaning water can soak up through the ground and through it. Do you have a sump pump? Is it running properly, meaning it kicks on and off when you manually move the float? Could be groundwater seeping up. Your local water table will have risen some due to the rain, could explain it.

The other place to look is up- is there a pipe in the ceiling above the wet spot? Could be a leaky drain in the floor above. Look for wet spots in the ceiling (if finished) or feel along every pipe for moisture.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Welp.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
While that sucks, that probably could've gone a lot worse.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Is that a Bradford Pear?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Eh, think of it this way. It's a wonderful excuse to buy a chainsaw. :black101:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Fun! I had 2 of those this past May. Bradford pears tend to form a "cup" where all of their branches split from, allowing rain water to pool there, soften the wood, and cause rot. Makes for an easy splitting spot come storm season. For anyone with these trees that haven't died yet, my tree removal guy recommended getting some spray-foam and forming a "dome" with it inside the "cup" so that it allows the water to run off. Alternately, just don't get Bradfords anymore.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 5, 2016

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Please tell me you already cut down the rest of it, that house on the right looks so hosed if the wind comes up :sweatdrop:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

drat Bananas posted:

Alternately, just don't get Bradfords anymore.

Yep.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/master-gardener/news/2014/top-three-reasons-to-stop-planting-flowering-pear-in-your-landscape

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've paid the last invoice for the retaining wall. Now I'm trying to grow grass in the middle of winter which is going at a snails pace.

I looked back to the stack of invoices I received in May for the majority of the work and inspections by the structural engineer and combined with new furniture I spent about $40k that month. Other than buying my house I've never spent that much in my life. So I'm in the negatives and clocking up floating rate interest, although part of that is made worse by a number of slow paying clients. I really do get that money pit feeling at the moment.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

moana posted:

Please tell me you already cut down the rest of it, that house on the right looks so hosed if the wind comes up :sweatdrop:

My house is the one on the right :). I'm out of town but my fiancee said 3 people came by offering to cut it down so she hired one of them, and my city's bulk pickup grabbed it from the curb today. The house next door wasn't damaged, we think the tree landed on their bush only, which is lucky because that roof is 2 weeks old. We are in the claim process for a new roof of our own from an April storm.

Fun fact, I talked with my insurance company and they said that it doesn't matter whose tree fell. If their house is damaged the claim would be against their policy.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I bought a house and one of the jet nozzles in the whirlpool tub is off, and it seems like you need a special tool to screw it back, but it is kind of old and the number of possible nozzles in the world is ENORMOUS how can I look it up? Also I can't find the make of the tub anywhere, it may have been over zealously scrubbed off by the previous owner.

I tried to make a thing from a length of pipe and some trim nails but it didn't work.

I've been to 3 jacuzzi stores and nobody knows poo poo.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Aren't those also the ones that have a really strong smell? My college campus was full of the drat things and it reeked all spring.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Aren't those also the ones that have a really strong smell? My college campus was full of the drat things and it reeked all spring.

Yeah, they smell like hot garbage.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Uncle Jam posted:

I tried to make a thing from a length of pipe and some trim nails but it didn't work.
Would a pin spanner fit? Post a picture, maybe someone can recommend a tool.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Yeah, they smell like hot garbage.

Are you sure you're not thinking of ginko? I've never noticed a strong smell to Bradford pear trees.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Leviathan Song posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of ginko? I've never noticed a strong smell to Bradford pear trees.

Something is wrong with your nose, because they smell like somebody took a poo poo on a burning tire and set it out in the summer sun.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So to continue the water in the basement saga, I'd gotten everything dried out and now it's back. We had a quick storm yesterday morning, so it could be that, but I'm not sure. This time though more of the water was standing and I traced it back a lot easier. Looks like it's coming from the furnace area, but also possibly from cracks right behind the foundation although I don't think that's the origin.

So my plan now is to call the warranty folks about A/C & furnace repair and have them come take a look. I'm a bit worried about those cracks, but I think the water went from the furnace area into those instead of the other route. Anything else I should really be thinking of? It's only $75 for a service call so it seems worth it just to have them come on out.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Is it at all correlated to when the A/C is running? There is condensation, and sometimes the drain gets clogged/leaks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gvibes posted:

Is it at all correlated to when the A/C is running? There is condensation, and sometimes the drain gets clogged/leaks.

I think so but haven't been able to pin it down. It could be from yesterday's early morning storm as well but I don't see how

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

gvibes posted:

I had this problem last year, flooding my closet and out onto the entryway. Luckily I was able to blow out the PVC drain with my lungs.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

gvibes posted:

Like I said, he needs a new canuter valve.

Andy Dufresne posted:

I had this problem last year, flooding my closet and out onto the entryway. Luckily I was able to blow out the PVC drain with my lungs.

Yup

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There should be a pan in the furnace that collects the water if that is full that is it, (normally there is a overflow switch that shuts the furnace off when it is plugged) but that looks like it is coming through the foundation. If your sump pit is close by should not be that expensive of a fix. (Famous last words I should be a Realtor.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Andy Dufresne posted:

Was your drain glued on to the AC evaporator housing?