Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
May have WMDs (but we dont really know, there are inspectors there but how do we know they aren't being lied to?, and here are some satellite photos of trucks) is not justification for war. Get the gently caress out of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a shameful boehner posted:

:laffo:

Okay, sure buddy. "Well, we just thought all this poo poo we just broke would clean itself up later!"

im not sure what you thought the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 actually entailed but generally the military does not provide detailed plans for events years in the future to members of congress when seeking permission to go to war

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Popular Thug Drink posted:

im not sure what you thought the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 actually entailed but generally the military does not provide detailed plans for events years in the future to members of congress when seeking permission to go to war

The idea that anyone had any "plans" detailed or otherwise for a stable Iraq, :laffo:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A Winner is Jew posted:

This, along with any politician that supported the Iraq war being handed over to the ICC for summary execution.

e: and all of their immediate family

It's pretty pathetic that it's come to so called liberals or Democrats no biggie'ing the most destructive foreign policy decision, probably in US history for political expediency.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty pathetic that it's come to so called liberals or Democrats no biggie'ing the most destructive foreign policy decision, probably in US history for political expediency.

I am "no biggie'ing" Hillary's role in the Iraq War, as it was one of 77 votes in the Senate. I am not "no biggie'ing" the war itself.

Do you see the difference?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"Listen, I know we have no contingency plans for post-invasion Iraq, have no idea what will happen in the resulting power vacuum from deposing Saddam Hussein and the flimsiest of evidence to support the invasion in the first place. Should we reconsider?

Nah."

*votes for the AUMF*

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WampaLord posted:

I am "no biggie'ing" Hillary's role in the Iraq War, as it was one of 77 votes in the Senate. I am not "no biggie'ing" the war itself.

They are both pretty pathetic.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

i think it's pathetic that you blame the handful of politicians who voted for the war and not the hundreds of thousands of americans who chose of their own free will to fight in it

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i think it's pathetic that you blame the handful of politicians who voted for the war and not the hundreds of thousands of americans who chose of their own free will to fight in it

They were just following orders. :shobon:

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I don't give a poo poo about what she says about her vote, I want to know that she won't follow the Blob and make the same mistake again if similar circumstances arise.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I don't believe Chris Christie has any influence over Clinton at all, actually.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

mcmagic posted:

Eh, I can't and don't speak for "A Winner is Jew" over there.

I'm not no biggie'ing it, I'm just saying in that time in that place, with the report and information I've seen that was given to Congress. I completely see how someone could vote for authorization of force.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MariusLecter posted:

this is not an excuse, except the elected officials of america should have ignored the majority of americans who supported an illegal, criminal war and voted against it

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

WampaLord posted:

You seem informed. What consequences have those senators faced for the Iraq war vote? Given the false justification and disastrous outcome, I'm sure a number of them were voted out of office over this issue.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Saddam deserved to die, and I'm glad he and his kids did. So unfortunate that the Bush admin hosed up the occupation at every loving level and in ways that were unknown unknowns at the time.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Quiz Show was probably the greatest hidden gem movie of the 90s, just a really great story all around and Barton Fink played the Hubert Humpledink or whatever guy perfectly.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nocturtle posted:

You seem informed. What consequences have those senators faced for the Iraq war vote? Given the false justification and disastrous outcome, I'm sure a number of them were voted out of office over this issue.

Not really. Though we largely politically adjudicated the war in the 06 and 08 elections.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

The war was also enacted without a reasonable roadmap for stabilizing the region, which isn't an indictment of the initial invasion.

nah, going in to gently caress poo poo up with no plan of dealing with the fallout is a pretty big indictment of the initial invasion

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

theflyingorc posted:

I can defend the actions of the Senate while not defending the actions of the executive branch. If Saddam had actually possessed WMDs, the war is suddenly much, much more justified.

edit: and most of our wars in the 20th-21st century haven't been based on false pretenses. Being pro-Vietnam, pro-Korea, or pro-WW2 is radically different than being Pro-Iraq, in my opinion.

Hell, even being pro Gulf War I.

Gulf of Tonkin much? the executive loves stirring up bullshit stories to go to war on

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Vietnam was a worse policy clusterfuck than Iraq by far especially when you consider Cambodia.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Meat Recital posted:

May have WMDs (but we dont really know, there are inspectors there but how do we know they aren't being lied to?, and here are some satellite photos of trucks) is not justification for war. Get the gently caress out of here.

A reminder that plenty of liberals back in 2001 also thought that Saddam had WMDs. Due to, you know, Reagan authorizing the sale of biological and chemical weapons to Iraq in 1984, Iraq using chemical weapons repeatedly throughout the war with Iran, then using them on their own people in 1988 and 1991, and then having it come out after the Gulf War that US companies had been selling Saddam those weapons for the entire time. I mean, it wasn't much of a stretch to assume that Saddam had access to biological weapons in 2001 when US corporations were selling him loving anthrax in 1994.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

a shameful boehner posted:

"Listen, I know we have no contingency plans for post-invasion Iraq, have no idea what will happen in the resulting power vacuum from deposing Saddam Hussein and the flimsiest of evidence to support the invasion in the first place. Should we reconsider?

Nah."

*votes for the AUMF*

Ah damnit. I didn't realize I missed the part where W said that. Now I feel really stupid about my younger self.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Not really. Though we largely politically adjudicated the war in the 06 and 08 elections.

Yeah, the Dems won those times so it's all good now. Nothing to see here. Move along.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
Don't forget Laos or the Viet Cong's antipathy towards the Chinese

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, the Dems won those times so it's all good now. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Yeah. And?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Ah damnit. I didn't realize I missed the part where W said that. Now I feel really stupid about my younger self.

I wish that I believed that W had that much capacity for introspective thought.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Tobermory posted:

A reminder that plenty of liberals back in 2001 also thought that Saddam had WMDs. Due to, you know, Reagan authorizing the sale of biological and chemical weapons to Iraq in 1984, Iraq using chemical weapons repeatedly throughout the war with Iran, then using them on their own people in 1988 and 1991, and then having it come out after the Gulf War that US companies had been selling Saddam those weapons for the entire time. I mean, it wasn't much of a stretch to assume that Saddam had access to biological weapons in 2001 when US corporations were selling him loving anthrax in 1994.
"We know Iraq has WMDs - we still have the receipts!":v:

And now ISIL is using expired Mustard Gas against the Kurds, so we've come full circle. Twice, I think.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fade5 posted:

And now ISIL is using expired Mustard Gas against the Kurds, so we've come full circle. Twice, I think.

Three times, Taliban using CIA Stingers and poo poo.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

fade5 posted:

Imagine 4 WMD munitions on the edge of a cliff...

with nothing but civilians below :suicide:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

A Winner is Jew posted:

Imagine 4 WMD munitions on the edge of a cliff...

with nothing but civilians below :suicide:

As God and Manufacturer intended.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
A big middle finger to both pro-lifers and Kansas? Today is the gift that keeps on giving.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/750440542773862400

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
e: meant to post this in the other thread.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

PenguinKnight posted:

nah, going in to gently caress poo poo up with no plan of dealing with the fallout is a pretty big indictment of the initial invasion
The major mistake of everyone who voted for the Iraq war was assuming that the administration had any idea what they were doing from top to bottom. Believe it or not, there was a time where we assumed that the US wouldn't undertake a military action without a long term strategy in mind! Post-invasion hindsight doesn't eliminate the validity of assumptions made at the time of the vote!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/david-duke-no-way-star-in-trumps-tweet-was-a-sheriffs-star?utm_term=.qfQ8L7pgbD#.xjMDOmYLjW

no less an authority than David Duke says the star on Trump's tweet was "not a sheriff's star" lol

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that berniebots like goodman bet the entire farm on a long shot indictment of clinton is hilarious.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Peven Stan posted:

The fact that berniebots like goodman bet the entire farm on a long shot indictment of clinton is hilarious.

Especially because they already knew Clinton was so corrupt there was no way she'd be indicted.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sorry if this has already been commented on, but just thinking back to my childhood, isn't a Sheriff's Star like...a normal 5 pointed star? Usually with little circles on the ends of the points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Jerkface posted:

Sorry if this has already been commented on, but just thinking back to my childhood, isn't a Sheriff's Star like...a normal 5 pointed star? Usually with little circles on the ends of the points?

Yeah lol

• Locked thread