Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
The thing I disliked about Doom 3 the most, apart from the obvious, is that its enemies (barring the ones with hitscan weapons) are completely non-threatening individually when they don't rely on jump-scares.
You can pistol the loving Hell Knights, and it will not be a challenge, it'll just take 25 minutes.

Quake 4 really needed to start off with decent movement speed. And get rid of the turret sections. gently caress turret sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

anilEhilated posted:

I happen to really like Quake 4.

Quake 4 owns.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Having a ton of ammo and no yellow key via cheating can be explained: in addition to the commonly known IDDQD and IDFKA, there is also IDFA. It gives you all of the weapons and full ammo, but no keys. Thus IDFA instead of IDKFA. :eng101:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This thread has made me go back and check out DoomRL again. I wish that was updated more frequently. But on the subject of abusing strafing control oversights:

Ignore my jittery attempts to block out two GIF re-hosting site URL overlays in the top right of the original image. This is the extent of my lovely GIF-making skills.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 3, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

Ignore my jittery attempts to block out two GIF re-hosting site URL overlays in the top right of the original image. This is the extent of my lovely GIF-making skills.
Nah don't apologize for anything, this is an excellent gif.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MechaCrash posted:

Having a ton of ammo and no yellow key via cheating can be explained: in addition to the commonly known IDDQD and IDFKA, there is also IDFA. It gives you all of the weapons and full ammo, but no keys. Thus IDFA instead of IDKFA. :eng101:

Did people not know about that one? I thought that was always the preferred cheat because you just get the weapons and ammo without skipping any of the level.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Did people not know about that one? I thought that was always the preferred cheat because you just get the weapons and ammo without skipping any of the level.
Not when the cheat codes were closely guarded secrets only whispered in the school yard to those who have proven themselves worthy.
Really, I haven't found about about stuff like IDFA and IDBEHOLD until years later when internet access became a more common thing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, back in elementary school most of us only knew IDKFA and IDDQD. Maybe IDCLIP for Doom II. I didn't know IDFA was a thing until I found the Doom wiki many years later, and actually forgot it existed until a few days ago.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Not when the cheat codes were closely guarded secrets only whispered in the school yard to those who have proven themselves worthy.
Really, I haven't found about about stuff like IDFA and IDBEHOLD until years later when internet access became a more common thing.
This moment is the first time I've heard of IDBEHOLD. Neat!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IDCHOPPERS :black101:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Now, was IDSPISPOPD a cheat or is there a fault in my genetic memory?

I sure don't recall when I learned the Doom cheats but they're locked in my mind. Can't remember my PIN, but I can remember those.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Skippy Granola posted:

Now, was IDSPISPOPD a cheat or is there a fault in my genetic memory?

I sure don't recall when I learned the Doom cheats but they're locked in my mind. Can't remember my PIN, but I can remember those.

IDSPISPOPD was a cheat but I don't remember what it did either. Showed full map, maybe?

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 4, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nothing will be better than Descent's cheat codes, such as GABBAGABBAHEY and RACERX

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

IDSPISPOPD was the noclip cheat. Understandably, it was replaced/superseded by IDCLIP in later games.

IDDT typed while in the map screen would show the full map, including hidden linedefs. Typing it again would show all things as well.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 4, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Star Man posted:

Nothing will be better than Descent's cheat codes, such as GABBAGABBAHEY and RACERX
Sorry, the correct answer is Carmageddon with HAMSTERSEX and IHAVESOMESPAM.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 4, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The New Zealand Story on the Amiga had motherfuckenkiwibastards as a cheat code. Apparently it was to stop it getting printed in magazines back in the day.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

I think we all know that DNCASHMAN is the most important and useful 90s cheat code.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The best cheat is SOOOOO GOOD in Age of Empires III.

Musketeer'd!

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I wish they hadn't switched from Lovecraft to sci-fi poo poo for Quake 2. I want to see a Shambler in 2016 graphics.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I wasn't really serious but okay

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Star Man posted:

I wasn't really serious but okay

I'm sorry but all of you are objectively incorrect by any austere standards because of down up left left A right down

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Petr posted:

I wish they hadn't switched from Lovecraft to sci-fi poo poo for Quake 2. I want to see a Shambler in 2016 graphics.

Seconded so hard.

I want mind-bending Lovecraftian horror from impossible dimensions rendered with the all glory that a state of the art graphics engine will bring.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think I said it in this thread, but it bears repeating: Proteus4994 once made a good point about Quake II vs. Daikatana. The latter game is what you get when you give John Romero complete creative control- an overly green and buggy trainwreck with bad design decisions galore. But Quake II is what you get when you don't give him any control at all- an overly brown and very dull game, at least in single-player mode.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The one FPS cheat code that'll never leave my memory is LAIMLAME.

There was also NWCAVERTINGOUREYES for Heroes of Might & Magic 3. Did DooM start the thing where cheat codes had the developer's name (or acronym) at the beginning?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Of course, all of these codes are useless without first entering the master cheat, which is IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT.

The Carmageddon guys are a very silly bunch. Unfortunately, the newest game doesn't have any cheat codes because of achievements or something.

edit: I also like how pressing Backspace for "Self Repairs" is listed as a cheat despite being a central game mechanic.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 5, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

Unfortunately, the newest game doesn't have any cheat codes because of achievements or something.
Games these days don't have cheat codes. It's one of the shames of modern gaming.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I would blame the achievement systems for that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I haven't played many games with achievements. How many of them are like Goldeneye (where you get an achievement and unlock a cheat code) and how many of them are just for bragging rights?

This is also why we need NBA Jam and NHL Hitz back in regular intervals.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Y-Hat posted:

I haven't played many games with achievements. How many of them are like Goldeneye (where you get an achievement and unlock a cheat code)

Practically none, though there are some games that don't let you cheat 'til after you beat the game (e.g. DNF)

Y-Hat posted:

and how many of them are just for bragging rights?

Almost all of them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aerdan posted:

Practically none, though there are some games that don't let you cheat 'til after you beat the game (e.g. DNF)

I've never understood games that make you unlock cheats. Although that goes for unlocks in general. If there's a campaign or story mode then it makes sense that you only get this item or ability at this point, but for games like racing or fighting games where you can just jump in and do one-offs, why are you stopping me from playing with all the toys that I bought? Who benefits from me not being able to do what I want to here?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I mean in the newer games you get certain stuff that makes it seem like you're cheating

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Aerdan posted:

Almost all of them.
:sigh: I feared that was the case. Too many games these days want you to play by their rules and give you no opportunity to go off of the beaten path. Example to clarify: the SB Nation "Breaking Madden" series that focused on making an all-QB team was a miracle because EA doesn't allow you to turn off simulation mode.

I just want to have big-head mode, is that too much to ask?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Y-Hat posted:

I haven't played many games with achievements. How many of them are like Goldeneye (where you get an achievement and unlock a cheat code) and how many of them are just for bragging rights?

The first Mass Effect had actual in-game unlocks tied to achievements that let you take skills that weren't normally available to your class. I really wish more games did stuff like that, because it made you want to go for achieveables for reasons other than e-peen.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Call of Pripyat's achievements were associated with individual saves rather than being universal, and each altered the game in some way, from things as simple as adjusting trader pricing to turning some areas into Jurassic Park war zones.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

The one example I can think of that does something interesting with achievements, is the Stanley Parable.

Otherwise achievements are pointless and that was kind of the point of the Stanley Parable ones too, but they got me interested in seeking out all the convergences of that game.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fish Noise posted:

Call of Pripyat's achievements were associated with individual saves rather than being universal, and each altered the game in some way, from things as simple as adjusting trader pricing to turning some areas into Jurassic Park war zones.

Man, that game was so drat amazing, especially with the Atmosfear mod. I really should get around to playing it again.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Time for Commander Keen Part 2!

Thanks again for joining, Thyrork

Woebin posted:

Did DooM start the thing where cheat codes had the developer's name (or acronym) at the beginning?

According to John Romero, they adapted the company name cheat code prefix thing from Lucas Arts. Apparently, their cheat codes all started with LA. I don't know if anything like that came before that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A pogostick on Mars makes as much sense as a chainsaw. That would be a cool Doom level though. Too bad the cacodemons wouldn't be able to use them.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Poil posted:

A pogostick on Mars makes as much sense as a chainsaw. That would be a cool Doom level though. Too bad the cacodemons wouldn't be able to use them.

My god, you're right. I kinda want to see what I can do with the idea now. POGO.wad coming..... eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Reelism has a pogo stick as a usable item.

It's also one hell of a crazy-rear end mod.