Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i feel bad that they're probably not going to reach the bonus goal for this

not that bad though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

that run really takes a while to get going but Yotta SS is an incredible finish

If you're familiar with the game / have played it, the strats used throughout the run are actually kind of insane, but I can definitely see how not all that gets across especially on the levels that don't look like they were designed to crush every fiber of your being.

I do highly recommend giving it a shot at some point. Game's great. I have 900+ hours in it and don't regret a single one.

I finished an SS all "run" once. It took me 3 hours, nearly two of which were yotta difficult, and that was the second of two total times I've ever SS'ed that level.

Also, no one mentioned this outright, but a time of 2:18 on yotta is just bonkers overall. Specifically the strat he used during the "tera drop" seconds falling through the spike corridor. You're meant to zig zag through it, which is already hard. He squeezed through a gap on the wrong side at full fall speed and fast fell into the last two zig zags which gives you just a few frames of tolerance to get through while also allowing you to attack upwards without killing yourself. Its really nuts.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fun fact, clickteam products (and game maker's earliest days) only offered sidescrolling in a form that didn't unload anything from memory when it left the screen, so games with sidescrolling in that era would chug on the PCs of that day

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I would never want to be the guy to follow dustforce

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

animatorZed posted:

Also, no one mentioned this outright, but a time of 2:18 on yotta is just bonkers overall. Specifically the strat he used during the "tera drop" seconds falling through the spike corridor. You're meant to zig zag through it, which is already hard. He squeezed through a gap on the wrong side at full fall speed and fast fell into the last two zig zags which gives you just a few frames of tolerance to get through while also allowing you to attack upwards without killing yourself. Its really nuts.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when he went for that. He did a lot of safe strats throughout the run, but then he went and did one of the riskier strats in the hardest level in the game.

I was also surprised to see Hidekid though, so what do I know?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I do appreciate how that cursor moves to other parts of the screen occasionally but never offscreen like it should

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this reminds me that i need to play the Spirit Engine someday

also Eternal Daughter

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i've been here a month and this is like, the second thunderstorm minneapolis has had

not very frequent but drat when they happen they don't pussy around

there's another coming thursday

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not super into this block :(

At least the runs have estimates around 20 min per game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it makes me sad when nobody's on the couch

this reminds me of the kid who ran tony hawk underground at like 2am and there wasn't a single person in the room

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

argondamn posted:

I do appreciate how that cursor moves to other parts of the screen occasionally but never offscreen like it should

He's lining up the cursor so he saves time selecting the next world.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

argondamn posted:

He has to position it so he can click on the next level on the level select screen to save some frames. *dies20times*

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

undertale m...man?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

undertale m...man?

:shittydog:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Of course Toby Fox would want to save the animals :v:

e:whatever his last name is

Ignis fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 6, 2016

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

Also Jumper 2 was a pretty decent indie game for 2004.

I would've preferred to see An Untitled Story though. Has that ever been run at one of these?

Untitled Story is the most :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: game in the universe (actually, Runman is), but I feel like no one would know what's going on.

Studio fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 6, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i'm freeing studio's post

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Imagine if Boshy wasn't trial-and-error and not riddled with obnoxious meme humor.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I can never tell with these games if they're going well. I'm sure I remember a guy doing one of these and over-running massively.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

i'm freeing studio's post

I just wanted to post :3:.

Also An Untitled Story on the hardest difficulty is legit fun to watch, but uh, not consistent.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
quality final cutscene there

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

voltcatfish posted:

Also Jumper 2 was a pretty decent indie game for 2004.

I would've preferred to see An Untitled Story though. Has that ever been run at one of these?

Cave Story came out in 2004.

Like props to the author for making a game and then going on to make bigger and better things, but this seems really bland and isn't pleasant to look at. I'm surprised it got approved.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This run will take less time than the setup.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mr. Fox just gave his blessing for Undertale to be at AGDQ, so I should assume it's a shoein for AGDQ 2017, right?

Wonder how much money that one's gonna make.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

voltcatfish posted:

Mr. Fox just gave his blessing for Undertale to be at AGDQ, so I should assume it's a shoein for AGDQ 2017, right?

Wonder how much money that one's gonna make.

They're going to have a second Save or kill the animals bid war.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Undertale is easily my GOTY 2015, but I'm not sure it makes for an interesting speedrun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

Undertale is easily my GOTY 2015, but I'm not sure it makes for an interesting speedrun.

:same:

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Dr. Dos posted:

Like props to the author for making a game and then going on to make bigger and better things, but this seems really bland and isn't pleasant to look at. I'm surprised it got approved.

It's has decent platforming gameplay but it certainly is ugly. Kind of like Boshy.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dias posted:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Undertale is gonna rake in hella tumblr bucks though

It'd be a smart choice despite how non-speedgame it is

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Studio posted:

Untitled Story is the most :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: game in the universe (actually, Runman is), but I feel like no one would know what's going on.

YOU FOUND A HEART

get raocow on the couch

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HoneyBoy posted:

Undertale is gonna rake in hella tumblr bucks though

It'd be a smart choice despite how non-speedgame it is

Oh, for sure, if they have a runner they should do it.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
you can do it secks

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Aishlinn posted:

They're going to have a second Save or kill the animals bid war.

god i hope not, a no mercy speedrun sounds intolerable

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this game is weird cause it was made for a fake "console". almost like a game jam kind of game

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
man the screen shaking during the dash makes this look loving impossible

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i went to the bathroom and came back and the game's done? welp

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brother Entropy posted:

god i hope not, a no mercy speedrun sounds intolerable

kill the papyrus or save the papyrus

:getin:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They need some ad jingles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nah I think I'll skip on this game.

• Locked thread