Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I bought Rebirth 1 quite a while back. played it for a few hours then stopped and forgot it. And I lent my vita to a friend of mine.
I picked up the PS4 game VII. I kinda want to play it. Do I need to play through the vita games 1st?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

I bought Rebirth 1 quite a while back. played it for a few hours then stopped and forgot it. And I lent my vita to a friend of mine.
I picked up the PS4 game VII. I kinda want to play it. Do I need to play through the vita games 1st?

It's a direct sequel to Victory/Rebirth 3. Two specific characters return and there are plenty of references to that game. Rebirth 2/MK2 occurs in the same universe but those events are only really mentioned in the Nitroplus DLC.

In both cases the events are mentioned in passing and characters from those games that would probably come to help don't appear in any way.

You're ok to play it, just a lot of stuff will go over your head.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dehry posted:

You're ok to play it, just a lot of stuff will go over your head.
In all honesty, I think that's the normal Nep experience anyway

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sefal posted:

If you want just a quick catch-up, I linked Feinne's LP of Victory in the second post. There are specific characters you need to be familiar with for V2's story.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So its a direct sequel. I like to play games in order. So I'll finish rebirth 1.Its not that rebirth 1 wasn't fun. I just kinda forgot about it. Will pick it up when i get my vita back.
Incidentally, any dlc that is recommended to pick up?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sefal posted:

So its a direct sequel. I like to play games in order. So I'll finish rebirth 1.Its not that rebirth 1 wasn't fun. I just kinda forgot about it. Will pick it up when i get my vita back.
Incidentally, any dlc that is recommended to pick up?

Okay, so

Re;Birth 1 takes place in its own continuity (the Superdimension universe) and, for the sake of main story canon, can actually be skipped.
Re;Birth 2 starts the continuity that we know (the Hyperdimension universe).
Re;Birth 3 continues that but has Neptune enter an alternate universe (the Ultradimension universe). Much of what happens in mk2/Re;Birth 2 is only referenced somewhat, and the villains of that game never come back.
Victory 2 is a direct sequel that takes place in Hyperdimension and makes reference to the Ultradimension.

As for DLC, always grab any that features ultimate weapons or Super EXP gains. You don't have to equip or use them, but if you hit a point where you want the grind to go away completely for the sake of story, grab it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

On a separate note, I cannot get over Ultradimension Vert being the same color as Mountain Dew Baja Blast.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What are the differences between Rebirth 2+3 and their PS3 counterparts?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Takoluka posted:

On a separate note, I cannot get over Ultradimension Vert being the same color as Mountain Dew Baja Blast.

most people just call that "teal", but whatever neps your nep

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

What are the differences between Rebirth 2+3 and their PS3 counterparts?

Slightly changed script for the main stuff, a few different and added scenarios, lots of QoL stuff. RB2 runs on the Victory engine, RB3 integrated the EXE gauge into SP, etc.

NISA owns the original scripts for mk2 and Victory, so they couldn't use them verbatim for the Re;Birth games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hmm, I might grab Rebirth 2 since it's like £3 and I'm allergic to playing RPG's not on handhelds now.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Takoluka posted:

I want to see how they integrate xbone / xbones / scorpio to the games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://ideafintl.com/?p=3809

Neptunia Deluxe Set

10% discount at launch (The game alone is 40% at launch)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dehry posted:

http://ideafintl.com/?p=3809

Neptunia Deluxe Set

10% discount at launch (The game alone is 40% at launch)

If I actually used my PC to play games I would be really mad right now by buying the game in PS4 just last week.

Bernardo Orel posted:

IIRC the Next forms in V-II are supposed to be the PS4, XBone and Wii U additions for Noire, Vert and Blanc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F00qT22d50

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bernardo Orel posted:

Vert's NEXT Form in V2 is based on the Xbox One.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

IIRC the Next forms in V-II are supposed to be the PS4, XBone and Wii U additions for Noire, Vert and Blanc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F00qT22d50

The major players in the industry just giving their consoles a hardware upgrade is probably what kept them from being retired. V-II shows the other console generations did happen with different goddesses, with 3 happening in an old man's lifetime at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bough Nep 2 (again) now I'm just making room for it because it's somehow 4GB

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If I actually used my PC to play games I would be really mad right now by buying the game in PS4 just last week.

PC gaming is the best now, I was sure I'd have to buy a PS4 to get my Japanese gaming fix but now all the anime nonsense comes to PC. For less than the cost of a PS4 I upgraded my PC recently to be way more powerful than a PS4 and all my anime nonsense runs at 1080p/60FPS with all the bells and whistles. Also the games are nearly always significantly cheaper on PC to boot.

The downside is some of the ports are total crap (see Tales of Symphonia), but then that's by no means exclusive to anime ports (see recent WB games output).

Having said all that I guess we're missing out on some Neps on PC at the moment. Are the MegaTagmension Blanc vs Zombies thing and Sega Hard Girls ones coming to PC too?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Blanc vs Zombies is almost guaranteed. I'd say Sega Hard girls might have some licensing issues to work out though.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i just don't know what to think of blanc anymore...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hosed up

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Blanc directed 'The Room'.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For anyone starting on V-II for the first time tomorrow:

The story is split into 3 "Games" with a title screen that is little more than a save screen.
You will need to adjust audio options to hear anything in the opening cutscene. Voices are set too low.
Transforming and being KO'd once again cause shares to fall. The nation with the Top Nep gets a slight power boost.
Shares are more of an approval rating this time around and can be regained through missions or investing in the cities.
The only way to full heal is to visit a city and any of the dots on the map can spawn an encounter.
Characters in reserve do not gain experience outside of S-Sha and Uzume. All others need to get the Learning ability from the Racing chip on a disk.
The true ending has some very specific requirements. Most occur during the 2nd part of the game, but there is a missable cutscene in the first part.
There is a bad ending, which is pretty in your face about how to trigger it. No trophy though.
There is a story split in the 3rd part that requires a second playthrough or re-loading the save to experience.
After beating the game, several items open up to turn off random encounters, enemy detection, and anything else that usually sits in the Plans menu in the Rebirth games. Some require completing missions.
Sell the plant bracelet if you get the armor DLC. Auto Equip will gently caress you over.
Story DLC characters need to be activated in the 2nd part. Nitroplus needs Vert in the party at Leanbox, God Eater needs Noire in the party at Lastation, and Millionarthur needs Neptune, though Planeptune has two towns you will have to check.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, what is Umio's worth?

I'm still on the early stages of the game (I've just met big Nep) and Umio is absurdly weak. His attacks barely scratch random mooks and spamming his SP attacks isn't really viable in the long term.

Does Umio suck or am I missing something? Nepgia in comparison is a reliable attacker and has good SP attacks.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He's a warm body to fill a party slot when a character is supposed to be alone. His specials are useful but he never gets any combos with other characters.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Takoluka posted:

i think that dress is far superior to the normal one, but all Verts are very good and cool

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/750373789049823232

$40
£26.99

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Neppuri shitteite ne

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The game should be up on Steam at 4PM Eastern/1PM Pacific

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Game is out now:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/460120/?snr=1_5_1100__1100

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Regular price $50
Sale price $30
Game plus digital soundtrack/artbook $59.98 $35.98
Digital Complete: $93.86 $60.34 (Currently a little over $6 less than ala carte, though if you :filez: the Music/Artbook it's cheaper.)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Man, I sure do love owning a console.

e: Holy poo poo, the weapon packs are only regularly priced at $5? What a gigantic middle finger to the PS4 players.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
True fans bought the $99 Limited Edition that didn't come with any DLC. This is a steal.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dehry posted:

True fans bought the $99 Limited Edition that didn't come with any DLC. This is a steal.

At least I got my Umio.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Does V2 look for previous games save states or can I just get my nep on right away? Just asking since I havnt finished Re;birth 3 yet.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Furnaceface posted:

Does V2 look for previous games save states or can I just get my nep on right away? Just asking since I havnt finished Re;birth 3 yet.

Those would be on separate systems, so they can't. But no, I don't think any of them do.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Takoluka posted:

Man, I sure do love owning a console.

e: Holy poo poo, the weapon packs are only regularly priced at $5? What a gigantic middle finger to the PS4 players.

Next: A Neptunia game where all the CPUs struggle because a PC CPU comes along and offers better prices for the same products.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Which neps have the custom texture options and what do they even really do and is that feature on steam? I think I downloaded Cutey Honey and Kamen Rider skins years ago somewhere.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

I'm gonna pick up the latest PC Nep, but what's the consensus on all that DLC? Is it worth getting the complete DLC pack or is some of it skippable? I'm mostly interested in the new characters, maybe the weapons, but if there's enough good there to justify picking up the pack I could be persuaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Which neps have the custom texture options and what do they even really do and is that feature on steam? I think I downloaded Cutey Honey and Kamen Rider skins years ago somewhere.

Sadly, the Costume Canvas option is only available for original Nep mk2 (for Nepgear only) and Nep Victory (for all CPUs and CPU Candidates), and there is a note on another post further down about it's functionality. That said, if you know how to mess with the texture packs in the Steam releases, you can also mod in your favorite textures onto the Re;Birth titles. I've never tried messing with my copies, though, so I can't help you on that.