Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The idea of playing as Adon just hit me and I hope there's a dedicated button to making speeches about techniques handed down for generations in the Coborlwitz family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

They should make berserk a fire emblem game

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
More talking about the game than speculation on the story. :sigh:

Anyway you all made me stop and ask, what would be the quintessential Berserk game? If it's yet more Golden Age, it should be strategy, of course, a turn-based positioning and politics type of thing. Do you raid the castle, or just make it look like you will?

Of course, most of Black Swordsman would be the same: Do you save the stupid child from the beast, use the child as bait, or just watch? Do you drop Theresa or not? Do you smile or laugh?

A game should be deeply troubling, induce despair and shock, of course you should lose everything, repeatedly; your teammates should stab you in the back, your vision should fade, the soundtrack should induce panic.

Even I have to admit that doesn't sound like the best gameplay; what is the goal anyway?

Oh poo poo, how does Guts win? :ohdear: I mean, in the manga. Are his motivations any more pure than Griffith's?

Clearly a Berserk game with electronic nerve -induced loss of limbs would be awesome. Well that's my idea for the perfect Berserk game anyway.

Still it's better than half the people in this forum who think Berserk is basically just all rape.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i read some of berserk over the last few weeks. is this not really that good for binging? the golden age storyline was way cool - you really wanna see what the deal is, why guts hates griffin so much, why griffin is like an invincible black superhero looking hawk etc.. but everything outside of that gets tedious kinda quickly. when going through chaps i would go like 8-9 at a time, and often i felt really unhappy to realize the point when it was "incredibly detailed page of guts slashing through monsters" for like 40 pages in a row. this could be my fault for not reading it serialized though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Popehoist posted:

The main issue with souls/berserk comparison is that soulsborne games involve a lot of evasion and dodging/rolling, which isnt something we see guts do a lot in the manga. A good comparison might be Devil May Cry, a combat system that has options to dodge and roll but your best defence option is generally to hit bad guys before they can hit you first.

Against big demons guts does tons of evasion. Not so much the rolling but that's always been one of the sillier parts of souls games. All you have to do is change it into a dash and its fine for Berserk.

Also DMC you had to dodge all over the place, you're remembering wrong. Most bosses will annihilate you if you don't dodge at the right times.

Awesome Welles posted:

The idea of playing as Adon just hit me and I hope there's a dedicated button to making speeches about techniques handed down for generations in the Coborlwitz family

He needs to have buttons for playing dead and shooting a crossbow out of nowhere and other dirty underhanded techniques, ideally while spouting off their names.

Oh man, I just realized that Adon is pretty much Berserk's Hercule / Mr. Satan.

mabels big day posted:

That'd actually fit pretty well, having companion dudes dying permanently while guts survives.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

tbp posted:

i read some of berserk over the last few weeks. is this not really that good for binging? the golden age storyline was way cool - you really wanna see what the deal is, why guts hates griffin so much, why griffin is like an invincible black superhero looking hawk etc.. but everything outside of that gets tedious kinda quickly. when going through chaps i would go like 8-9 at a time, and often i felt really unhappy to realize the point when it was "incredibly detailed page of guts slashing through monsters" for like 40 pages in a row. this could be my fault for not reading it serialized though

Who the hell is griffin?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

mabels big day posted:

Now we're loving talking

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Berserk text adventure.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

tbp posted:

I binged through it the first time in like 2-3 days and loved it. What hooked me is all of the allegory that miura uses both in the plot and the art itself. theres a lot of depth and nuance to be found in the badass with the big sword killing demons

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bad Seafood posted:

Berserk text adventure.

Ye find yeself in yon Qliphoth

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

skasion posted:

>get ye flask
you cannot get ye flask

Brutal.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

skasion posted:

>Slash

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jimmybob posted:

Who the hell is griffin?

i meant griffith, the main antagonist, basically the guy who leads the hawks at first but eventual betrays all of them to become one of the 5 gods hands

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ahh that story was so sick i like that it was like both very human + very cosmic that he was an ambitious traitor. i wonder if i reread if i would notice that he didn't care for anyone in the hawks aside from guts / gatts prior to the betrayal (i mean its basically spelled out in that part when he said he will only consider someone who follows their own dreams a friend etc) but like you just dont see it coming prior. tbh the part when he manifests again physically is pretty cool too, but ironically the fights are the only part that feel dragged out maybe to me. like i wanted to see what was going on for so many pages, not necessarily see guts / gatts swinging around his sword vs some essentially no name weird reject preist bros for many pages / chapters. but still the arts really good.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Zaphod42 posted:

Against big demons guts does tons of evasion. Not so much the rolling but that's always been one of the sillier parts of souls games. All you have to do is change it into a dash and its fine for Berserk.
Yep. I have a theory that Guts takes on other people's traits as the story goes on. He seems to change over time. Particularly after Casca does that flip thing and kills Adon, Guts starts to get more acrobatic. He even does some flips when he gets the berserker armor. The fight against that old guy and the water snake has jumping him everywhere on the boats. Its cool that everyone has a different idea of Guts because he changes over the course of the manga. Dark Souls is like Dark Swordsman, the Golden Age is like a Musou, etc. A fire emblem game would be cool too.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Tales of the Berserk: A Telltale Series

Wait that's a terrible idea

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RubberLuffy posted:

Casca will remember this.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

RubberLuffy posted:

"Man has no control, not even over his own will." - Telltale Games

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

RubberLuffy posted:

Gildiss posted:

Casca will remember this.

Bad Seafood posted:

"Man has no control, not even over his own will." - Telltale Games

God drat lol

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How about a Berserkcharted?

Poorly animated 3D cutscenes that are a total chore? That's a Sony special in my book.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

tbp posted:

...the fights are the only part that feel dragged out maybe to me. like i wanted to see what was going on for so many pages, not necessarily see guts / gatts swinging around his sword vs some essentially no name weird reject preist bros for many pages / chapters. but still the arts really good.
What about the hundred man fight? Did you feel that it was just about Guts swinging his sword around?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whatever the best style of game is for Berserk, one thing is certain

It needs dismemberment mechanics

Lots of it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The CGI in the first Jak & Daxter looks better than the new Berserk

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

What about the hundred man fight? Did you feel that it was just about Guts swinging his sword around?

eh well kinda. that one was good tho

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Torquemadras posted:

Lots of it

Let us come together in agreement. DS and musou fans alike, payed for blood and that's what they want.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Lots of it

I want a game with proper corpse physics so you can actually build up a wall of corpses and use it as cover.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

RubberLuffy posted:

I'd play it. Make the lead someone other than Guts and let the player have some influence over who survives the Eclipse.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Poorly animated 3D cutscenes that are a total chore? That's a Sony special in my book.
I've never played an Uncharted game in my life, but aren't they known for their excellent graphics and animation above all else?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not to rain on your parade or anything but even the first Jak game had more convincing animation work than the new Berserk anime.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Woebin posted:

I'd play it. Make the lead someone other than Guts and let the player have some influence over who survives the Eclipse.

I've never played an Uncharted game in my life, but aren't they known for their excellent graphics and animation above all else?

They are, he's just making a joke about long cutscenes. But

JordanKai posted:

Not to rain on your parade or anything but even the first Jak game had more convincing animation work than the new Berserk anime.

:smith:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Don't be silly. I even just rewatched the first episode and it's not that bad. Of course they're still going for anime style animation so aside from Gut's cloak there's not much overlapping action in the animation the way there is in something cartoony like Jak and Daxter. But saying it's worse than a PS1 game is nonsense.

Anyway I've been rereading the Conviction arc of the manga and before Guts gets to the tower, when he's talking to Skull Knight on the road, SK says once every 1000 years a Godhand, or at least a "divine being", is incarnated back into the real world. So did that happen before? Could SK be a former Godhand who incarnated back into reality? (Probably not, that doesn't really make sense.) Or was there another Godhand in the past who incarnated back into reality who was then killed? Or is it just a throwaway line?

Mogzus also says something about Gaseric imprisoning someone at the Tower of Conviction a thousand years ago, and that person causing an angel to descend from heaven to get revenge. But I assumed Gaseric died in Windham when someone called down the Godhand. So maybe before that, someone he imprisoned at the Tower of Conviction became an apostle?

Lots of pieces of a story. Wonder if we will ever find out Skull Knight's true past.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 7, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I finally got up to the end of all the completed volumes but there's still a couple of the new chapters to read. I love this boat. I never wanna leave this boat.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'd play a turn based Berserk RPG.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ccs posted:

Don't be silly. I even just rewatched the first episode and it's not that bad. Of course they're still going for anime style animation so aside from Gut's cloak there's not much overlapping action in the animation the way there is in something cartoony like Jak and Daxter. But saying it's worse than a PS1 game is nonsense.

Jak & Daxter is PS2. As determined as I am to stay positive the CG from Berserk can't hold a candle to most PS2 cinematics.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PS1 had Soul Blade and FF8 + 9 intros which I would argue still look better than the CGI in new Berserk.

Oh, and Soul Reaver that one owned too

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sakurazuka posted:

PS1 had Soul Blade and FF8 + 9 intros which I would argue still look better than the CGI in new Berserk.

Oh, and Soul Reaver that one owned too

Yeah I played the PC port of FF9 just recently, and those cutscenes definitely looked better than the new anime.

But that was the golden age of Square cutscenes, and there's probably like an hour total of FMV in the whole, what, 80 hour game, so it's not really a fair comparison.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Woebin posted:

JordanKai posted:

:wink:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'm watching the Berserk anime since why the hell not, and the most bizzare loving thing is that the music is so loving on point even without Forces, but who the hell decided that having the opening and ending needed to be super slurry Engrish?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Put your grasses on

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Nothing will be wrong! There's no shame, there's no shape, it's up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I keep hearing about this boat. Is it really that great a boat?