Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
We had a similar experience with ours, Alterian. I bought a set from a store and then ended up getting a second set from a toys r us sale a few weeks later, and both were horrible. They filled unevenly and only seemed to pop when they hit the ground and not the people. We decided to just smash it on the ground to get others wet, rather than going for the person. Very disappointing.

On the other hand, filling them up was very easy and it was cool having heaps of balloons ready at once. They were biodegradable and the kids still had fun throwing them around. It's worth it for a cheap price, but I would never get them for RPP again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Kitiara posted:

We had a similar experience with ours, Alterian. I bought a set from a store and then ended up getting a second set from a toys r us sale a few weeks later, and both were horrible. They filled unevenly and only seemed to pop when they hit the ground and not the people. We decided to just smash it on the ground to get others wet, rather than going for the person. Very disappointing.

On the other hand, filling them up was very easy and it was cool having heaps of balloons ready at once. They were biodegradable and the kids still had fun throwing them around. It's worth it for a cheap price, but I would never get them for RPP again.

I bought a ton from a dodgy website for pennies. They sucked, but toddlers don't really seem to care. The ones that leaked they just squeezed all the water from, and if they didn't pop the kids would scramble to grab it and often break it in the fight to retrieve it.

I'm just grateful I don't have to stand at the sink for 15 minutes making a few dozen water balloons for them to be gone within a minute and have whiny kids immediately asking for more.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Oh god.. I had completely forgotten about the existence of water balloon fights. Can't wait for my 9 months old to get older now. I'm craving a water balloon fight.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh crap, he's learned how to open doors.

What age did all yours figure that out, and what did you do about it?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Doorknob covers, chain locks

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

My 3.5 year old has been opening them for awhile. I put a chain up high on the front door about 5 months ago maybe. Last month I found him up on the side of one of his toys (big inflatable ball he can climb in and roll around in) taking the chain off the door and opening it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

We have a gate in front of the little kids room, so even if they open their door they still have to get through the gate. They can in an emergency (or when they are really really pissed) but it's a nice extra layer to keep them from wandering the house. We also have gates to keep them out of the kitchen, its too small - there's barely room for 2 adults let alone 3 toddlers wandering around looking for snacks.

As for doors that lead outside, we have a chain lock on the front door which is high even for us. And the back door has a sliding lock at the same height. We also make sure to be VERY strict about going outside without an adult, except the oldest is now 5 and is old enough to play in the front yard without us (within reason). My nightmare is a child slipping out while we are all napping/sleeping and getting lost, stuck in a hot car, kidnapped, eaten by wild boars, finding his passport and escaping to Mexico, etc.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Is there a support group for parents who fears their kids might be sith lords?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Doorknob covers added today, seem to be working well, thanks

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our 3 year old can unlock interior doors. He discovered that any key or object that can fit into the lock can unlock the bathroom doors (I had no idea).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is there a support group for parents who fears their kids might be sith lords?

Where is the Rebel base?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Alterian posted:

Our 3 year old can unlock interior doors. He discovered that any key or object that can fit into the lock can unlock the bathroom doors (I had no idea).

Kid's got a real future as a rogue.

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011

duckfarts posted:

Is there anything you can do when your kid has night terrors, or do you have to basically wait it out? I saw the advice about waking them up a bit before the time they usually have night terrors, but is there anything you can do when they're having one?

My oldest has had them on and off for the past 2 years or so. We figures out pretty quickly what triggered them. Over tiredness, too much sugar during the day and over stimulation from too many activities were the culprits.

Dealing with them is trial and error. We read loads of different contrasting theories and the only one that has really worked is either catching it just before it starts and waking her up. If one starts then I get her out of bed and try taking her into different rooms of the house (usually to try and see if we can see mr moon - she has a thing about the moon for some reason) and that usually calms her down.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

We're taking three little kids ages 5, 3 & 2 on an international flight from Los Angeles to Sydney and we are looking at buying three sets of headphones that would fit comfortably on their little heads. Any suggestions?

And any advice that works for long haul flights for toddlers is much appreciated. We're flying overnight, so hopefully they will sleep for the bulk of the flight. We are buying two brand new tablets, packing a third tablet, carrying on a ton of extra batteries to keep them occupied. I also secured our own row of seats and the aisle seat over near the back of the plane.

I used to be one of those childless jerks who hated families on very long flights. I fully expect karma to kick my rear end.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VorpalBunny posted:

We're taking three little kids ages 5, 3 & 2 on an international flight from Los Angeles to Sydney and we are looking at buying three sets of headphones that would fit comfortably on their little heads. Any suggestions?

And any advice that works for long haul flights for toddlers is much appreciated. We're flying overnight, so hopefully they will sleep for the bulk of the flight. We are buying two brand new tablets, packing a third tablet, carrying on a ton of extra batteries to keep them occupied. I also secured our own row of seats and the aisle seat over near the back of the plane.

I used to be one of those childless jerks who hated families on very long flights. I fully expect karma to kick my rear end.

Buy lots of cheap little toys and books. Keep them hidden away, and every now and then if things start to get out of hand, use them as bribes / distractions. Sticker books worked great with our son.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Buy lots of cheap little toys and books. Keep them hidden away, and every now and then if things start to get out of hand, use them as bribes / distractions. Sticker books worked great with our son.
2 and 3 are still at that age where you can do 12 hours of total exhaustion before the flight, such that when you board, get in the air, drink service, then meal, then they turn the lights off in the cabin... they will zonk until breakfast.

5 is an age where they can be reasoned with and bribed.

The overnight flight is clutch. Also, as mentioned above... dollar store toys, a new one every few hours.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Finally taking a big family trip via airplane to Disney World for my birthday this fall. Besides the previous mentioned things, tooling around with a 35 month old (he will be free!) advice at Disney? The last couple trips I've made in the last year, I've been watching the families, trying to figure out how to do it with the least amount of stress possible.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
We take our 3.5 and 1.5 year old to DisneyLAND all the time. Basically just try not to overtire them. Do not expect them to enjoy dark rides as it seems most kids that age are scared of them. Do not expect them to like the characters initially but they will probably warm up to them. Most of our pictures with characters are me holding one of the kids smiling at the camera while the kid is giving the character a death stare.

Dumbo is always a hit. Carousel get's ridden most trips too. If you have a tall child they will be able to go on most things. Our older one has gone on Radiator Springs Racers, Thunder Mountain. Basically he's tall enough to ride everything there now. As thunder mountain came into the unload area he proclaimed "I'm never riding this ride again! NEVER!" So yeah just because they're tall enough does not mean they'll enjoy the ride.

So it sounds like I'm saying kids hate Disney. Well he was just crying 10 minutes ago because he wants to go to Disneyland today but we have a play date planned instead.

It also seems to help if you really talk up the rides and even watch ride through video's on youtube leading up to the trip. The dark fantasyland rides are actually really scary through a kids eyes but if they know what to expect it's not as bad. He even kinda likes Peter Pan now. Oh, I'm not sure if DisneyWORLDhas autopia but that's a huge hit.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Good ideas! We are working towards being friends with the mascot for the local university to get over the scary tall creatures. No character meet and greets, I would rather him be a little older; but I'm guessing morning visit, afternoon back at the resort for pool and nap time, and visit in the evening. Plus stretching it to 5-6 days with two 1 hour flights so it should be relaxing. Lots of rest, no 3-4 park hops, and bring snacks and a good stroller.

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

VorpalBunny posted:

...We're flying overnight, so hopefully they will sleep for the bulk of the flight...

This probably sounds really negative, but I have done four 12+ hour flights with my kids at various ages and my advice is to make no assumptions and prepare for the worst. I found that if I'd planned for them to sleep during the night flight and they didn't I was super stressed about them being over tired, but if I expected them to be awake the whole flight then I was stoked when they slept for a couple of hours. So far all the flights we've taken together have been far better than I've expected, mainly because I've been prepared to spend 100% of my time keeping the kids entertained.

Also, take lots of changes of clothes for everyone, including yourself. It's really useful to have a spare pair of pants when you get an entire carton of apple juice spilled across your lap.

It will all be completely fine, and if not then think of it like childbirth - not much fun but just endure and it will be over eventually!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
yeah, the last time I flew with the kids I assumed they would sleep because I had kept them up but really all that happened was that the youngest was extra obnoxious because she was tired and stuck in a metal tube where she had to get tied into her seat every now and then, and i had to deal with it with far less sleep than usual. I did what someone suggested here previously and got a surprise bag with little toys and sweets which helped a bit but really the main thing was remembering that as all things the journey would come to an end at some point and I would never see any of the people ever again. This flight was only five hours and she conked out after four and a half hours so on a longer flight you will probably get some peace but still brace yourself for unpleasantness. The 5 year old was fine though, not a peep out of him - just the 3 year old was unbearable.

The absolute worst thing was when she decided she needed a wee (every 10 minutes when she got bored) and there was a trolley thing blocking our access on either side. I know they probably make a fair bit of cash selling their overpriced crap to passengers but it really seemed like a stupid idea to have the whole midsection of the plane cut off from the toilets for long periods.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good things about Kindergarten:

Our son loves it.

He's making friends and learning new things every day.

The school is lovely, and his teacher is great.

Bad things about Kindergarten:

Three goddamn viruses in less than two months, two of which my wife and I caught too. I can count on one hand how many times he's ever been sick before he started school, and it really sucks. None have been particularly serious, just a little fever and puking, but I still can't help but worry every time his temperature goes up and he's not his normal chirpy self. :(

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 4, 2016

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Anya posted:

Finally taking a big family trip via airplane to Disney World for my birthday this fall. Besides the previous mentioned things, tooling around with a 35 month old (he will be free!) advice at Disney? The last couple trips I've made in the last year, I've been watching the families, trying to figure out how to do it with the least amount of stress possible.

I wrote a big fat Disneyland advice post on Facebook (we go dozens of times a year) and I can post the link here if anyone is interested. We haven't done Disney World with kids, but my biggest pieces of advice are:

get there early! Sunday mornings are by far the best days to go. Park is empty until noon, so if you get there at 8am you have 4 solid hours of short lines and nice weather.
take advantage of parent swap - any ride with a height restriction offers parent swap, which means one adult rides while the other stays with the kid, then the other parent can ride later. Parent swaps are like free fastpasses, and they are AMAZING!
chat up cast members, including street sweepers and bathroom attendants. They often have stickers to share with kids, and inside info to share with adults.

Disney World has fastpass Plus which I haven't experienced yet. My understanding it is easier to use than paper fastpasses, but you should ask castmembers for the fastpass plus kiosk areas that are usually empty. Some are hidden off the beaten path and usually have no lines.

Good luck!

And thanks for the advice on the flight. We've done domestic flights with them a few times before, but this one is a doozy - one short leg from SFO to LAX, change planes at LAX, long-haul flight to Sydney overnight, change planes in Sydney, short flight up to Brisbane. I am joking with everyone that if we survive the vacation we can survive anything. But, the flight was basically free so I can't complain. We just bought two new kindle fires and 3 pairs of kids headphones, as well as four battery backups. I'll have a backpack of crayons, books, toys, etc. And another bag full of snacks. I might try to gather another tablet or two just in case, plus we get free entertainment on the international flight. But I always plan for the worst, so hopefully we'll make it through both directions ok. I'll need a vacation from this vacation, for sure.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

4th of July is a dumb holiday because it wakes up babies. Stop waking up babies, America.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
God, yes. Especially babies that have had a stomach bug and been barfing all day long. It's midnight, for gently caress's sake.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

We're doing the same trip, but the other way around. We're flying from Sydney to LA (and going on straight to NYC) with a 4 and a 2 year old. May the gods help us.

In regards to headphones, I recommend the Philips over ear headphones (SHK2000PK). They were expensive, but my four year old loves it. It fits her perfectly and so far so good. I haven't tried it on the 2 year old because she destroys everything, but I have high hopes.

I'm preparing myself with a huge duffle bag instead of a handbag. I bought one of those 5 organiser things from eBay. I have one with bottles (I plan to bribe the 2 year old with one every 3 hrs), one with nappies/wipes, one with snacks, one with passport information and money and the largest one with cheap toys: colouring books, sketching books, lots of stickers, one magic pen/invisible ink book and a couple of kindle eggs. I saw an article online mentioning that play dough was the best airplane toy, but can you imagine the mess?

I'm also bringing Pajamas, a couple of bedtime story books and two iPads. As someone said, I just have to keep remembering over and over that it will end eventually.

Do you/anyone have any recommendations for iPad apps? I downloaded the Qantas app for cartoons and whatnot, and I have some of the endless apps, a couple of Peppa pig ones and... that's about it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I bought three pairs of the Leapfrog headphones on Amazon. $11/each, if they get destroyed I'll be ok with the sacrifice.

I'm loading everyone up with a backpack, and my husband and I will have carryons and backpacks (including our standard diaper backpack). Somehow we're only going to check one big bag for all five of us, bring 2 changes of clothes for the plane, pack a change of clothes in the checked bag and wear clothes on the plane. Buy our toiletries and diapers when we land. I'm going to pre-pack later this week to see if it's feasible. Fingers crossed.

Kitiara posted:

Do you/anyone have any recommendations for iPad apps? I downloaded the Qantas app for cartoons and whatnot, and I have some of the endless apps, a couple of Peppa pig ones and... that's about it.

For our kindle fire and generic android tablets, all I did was browse the app stores for free apps and tested them out first. If they immediately asked for a credit card, or required an internet connection, or just suck - I uninstalled them immediately. The ones that have worked so far are:

Lego Duplo apps like Trains, Circus, Food, etc.
fruit Ninja (free)
Color Sheep
KidsDoodle
Slydris
SideSwype
Coin Dozer
Pop It
Disney has a ton of free stuff on Amazon, no idea if they work on ipads - Frozen Free Fall, Inside Out bubble popping, etc.

I'm still sifting through the rest. The Cut the Rope and Where's my Water series seem popular.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
The CBeebies app is pretty good but I'm not sure if it only available in the UK. (Cbeebies is the preschool BBC channel)

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

My 2 year old is really into the PBS Parents Play and Learn app. It has lots of little educational games that he can do by himself and really keeps him occupied and is free. Daniel Tiger Grr-iffic Feelings is great too as it has a little trolley game, all of the music videos, and a drawing app built into it. It isn't free, but it is worth the money as it holds their attention. Explore Daniel's Neighborhood is another one that was free that he likes. He also likes Dragonbox Numbers and anything by Tiptap. If you have Amazon Prime, you can download some videos to your device for 30 days. He loves the I Love Toy Train videos on Amazon. If your kids are into science and bodies, My Incredible Body is a cool app that shows all of your insides and how they work.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
If you're not dead set on free and you want some reading prep I can highly recommend these two:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reading-raven-hd/id496586135?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/endless-reader/id722910739?mt=8

Endless reader has in-app purchases for new content which is kinda pricey, but it's extremely well done so vOv.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Our favorites:
-Endless Reader/ABC
-anything by Toca Boca
-anything by Sago Mini
-the Sorting series by Tiny Hands

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I walked by and saw this last night, we're currently trying to potty train them and they don't like to sit on the potty, so my SO tried another approach.

Living the Al Bundy dream?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We kept a potty by our tv / play area during early potty training. Our bathrooms are all upstairs so when he was first learning usually if he had to go he had to go RIGHT THEN and no a scramble up the stairs. It worked well for us. He would also sit on the potty while we watched the daniel tiger potty episode and he would usually do something in it.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
My daughter likes the Sago Mini apps and there's a play school one about Humpty's birthday that she's keen on too. Mostly she likes to open apps, play for 20sec and then quit and open another.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We're potty training now too (22 months).

The awesome bit is that our daycare starts it. Most daycares around here require your 2 year old to be potty trained before getting into the class, but this one actually does the training themselves (and give you instructions on how to be consistent with it at home).

After just a single week she would do things like jump out of the tub going "potty!" and run to the potty and use it - or she would jump out of the kiddie pool this weekend and go knock on the door and say "potty" and go use it! And she even stopped asking for a treat afterwards. Just wipe, pull up her underwear and go back to doing what she was doing. We're really impressed after just a single week of that (granted the past few months we got her used to the potty so she wasn't scared of it and she even used it a few times).

Had a bit of a setback last night where she had a painful poop (she doesn't like to poop in the potty so I think she's holding it in + didn't quite feel that great in general) and I caught her mid act and put her on the potty. But I think the painful portion of it kind of gave her a bit of aversion to the potty.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

...they require kids be potty trained in order to enter the two year old room? drat! Where are you located?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sheri posted:

...they require kids be potty trained in order to enter the two year old room? drat! Where are you located?

Actually that's wrong - it was three. There were a lot of daycares around here requiring potty training by the age of 3.

And by a lot I just mean a few from my anecdotal experience.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

2 is crazy for daycare potty requirements! Our daycare has it so they need to be potty trained to go into the middle 3's room.

Edit: Posted before I saw the new post. :(

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Ahhh...I've heard of three year olds requiring it, but never two. That makes more sense :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My 18 month old will occasionally sit on the potty and she lets us know when she poops by signing a thumbs up, aka half of the ASL sign. It's more entertaining this way, where nobody knows why our daughter is suddenly giving them (or us) a thumbs up.