Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

OnimaruXLR posted:

People have a hard time putting down their own dog after it kills someone, now imagine that dog can talk and acts like a cute baby and only ate someone's arm from the elbow down

Yeah that's how I see it, I don't think the extermination team is siding with the Amazons, it's just a case of "one of the good ones." They still think the unawakened Amazons are vermin, but Mamoru gets a pass because he was with them for so long. Haruka to a degree gets the same kind of treatment since he did fight alongside them but he wasn't as close to them as Mamoru was (and Mamoru never said "I'm going to protect Amazons from humans" like Haruka did). Besides it's pretty obvious that Jin has gone nuts after the gas attack and even before he attacked Mamoru they called him vermin for eating an Amazon heart. While Jin shares their goal, they'd probably still be wary of him even if he hadn't attacked Mamoru, because if he's already eating Amazon flesh then it's reasonable to assume he might start going for humans too before too long.

But I do think that in season 2 the extermination team will probably start to sympathize with the Amazons to an extent beyond just Mamoru, though I'm hesitant to say that they'll take the Amazons' side. They could though, on the premise that "We're both pawns in the Director's sick goal, whatever it is."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cliff Racer posted:

So, it took us 20 episodes to get to an episode that was not "good." I guess that's a pretty admirable thing in and of itself. He seems like a total repeat of Uchhy, who I also was not a big fan of.

This post makes no sense. Ucchy is great, for one, but also Micchan seems to have literally nothing in common with him beyond being the sixth with a nickname. If anything, he seems far closer to Akira with his constant need of redemption for evil acts that only he sees as such (in Akira's case because he was a lot less threatening than he thought, in Misao's case because the Zyuohgers are actually really down to earth for such silly characters and clearly see that he wasn't responsible, which is something I'm more than willing to praise the series for considering how many others would milk it for pointless drama). Even there, his delusions (which are hilarious) and insane mental weakness (which...gets old fast) make him rather unique, and I liked his genuinely badass moments and his absolute happiness at finally having someone call him by a nickname. And his Zyuman plushies looked so cute, I want them.

I also like how I expected him to be able to talk to Zyuman ghosts but no, it's made painfully clear that all three are just delusions of his and he's merely projecting his own thoughts onto them, to the point that his own delusions call him out on it. I think he got the wrong series here, he'd be a perfect fit in Akibaranger.

Craptacular! posted:

Is Kuuga the place to start if I've never had any experience with Kamen Rider and don't mind a show being more than five years old? I'm told that the idea of a "modern" series started there, and I know from the Sega CD game somebody made out of ZO that there's a lot of old crusty production jank in the older stuff. But at the same time I have a tendency to think "these first installments must be great if they launched an ongoing series" and then find out that no, the sequels were far better received.

Kuuga is super great and absolutely worth the watch, and it's definitely a top-tier Rider. That said, it is very different from what follows, being a much more somber, down-to-Earth show in contrast to current, sillier Kamen Riders. W would be a better place to start if you want something similar to the current stuff while also being very good, but Kuuga is a great show to watch.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Craptacular! posted:

Is Kuuga the place to start if I've never had any experience with Kamen Rider and don't mind a show being more than five years old? I'm told that the idea of a "modern" series started there, and I know from the Sega CD game somebody made out of ZO that there's a lot of old crusty production jank in the older stuff. But at the same time I have a tendency to think "these first installments must be great if they launched an ongoing series" and then find out that no, the sequels were far better received.
Either start with Kuuga/Agito (For a more serious, slow-drama burn) or start with Double and watch Double/OOOs/Fourze for a more modern, light-hearted but great show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

What exactly do you want from a Kamen Rider series

Because here's the thing about Kuuga. I personally think it's one of the best made and most respectable karate bug man shows ever, but it's a show that rides its message hard. It's message is that power for the sake of it is evil, violence is wrong, and escalation of power will only lead to suffering- but some one has to do the right thing despite their own happiness.

What I'm trying to say is Kuuga is not a very happy show. It has a super grounded, gritty style and it sticks to it no matter what. It never betrays the idea of what being a Kamen Rider means, as a warrior for justice and all that fun stuff, but it is not very over the top at all. It's also shot in a very serious, Japanese drama style, meaning the episodes take their time and are very methodically paced.

I personally think they succeed well enough that they're never boring, but others might disagree.

Kuuga is also utterly unlike any other Rider series due to how hard it rides its own message and themes.

If you're looking for something that's more weird and fast paced, but still at the dawn of the whole thing, Agito is more reflective of the rest of the Heisei era including the new era that started with Double. Or, if you'd want to see the roots of the new era, Double itself is a great show and has the benefit of not being written by Inoue.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

This post makes no sense. Ucchy is great, for one, but also Micchan seems to have literally nothing in common with him beyond being the sixth with a nickname.

Re-watch the first two or three Ucchy episodes where he pretends to be a hardass for some reason (I forget what,) his inability to open up to the team is very similar, and also annoying because we all know it will only be around for an episode or two. There's also the whole "awkward guy" thing, which he admittedly shares with Akira. Thats not necessarily a good thing either though, even though I liked Akira. If we're getting the same character every other year for six years then maybe they should try to branch out a little.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He pretends to be a hardass because he was told that his nice nature was a weakness by Not-Daigo. This is not at all what Misao did, he didn't pretend to be anything, he was just too overwhelmed by his (debatable) crimes to actually join, and by the end of the episode he already considered himself an ally anyways. Meanwhile Ucchy was beating himself up because he's a gigantic lovable dork for a while longer.

Micchan is also hardly unable to open up to the team, if anything he's the exact opposite, he gave them his full backstory and motivations from the get-go and quickly bonded with Yamato, the only reason he didn't do the same with the Zyumen is because he felt honestly guilty and that's blatantly out of the window next episode. The awkward part is the only one I can give you, and even there they're very different brands of awkward (Ucchy is just a dork, Misao has no self-confidence).

Sentai is very willing to reuse the same character archetypes over and over (I was overwhelmingly happy when Yamato was shown as not being a complete idiot, after so many Reds in a row that did that) but if Micchan is recycling anyone, it's Akira, not Ucchy. With a bit of Shirogane in the mix, fittingly enough seeing as how they're both the sixth for an anniversary season with a wolf motif.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

What exactly do you want from a Kamen Rider series

1: Grown up stuff. I guess. I tend to think of KR as Spider-Man on a motorcycle, but I know that's wrong. If I can avoid seeing a masked hero dancing, that's probably a good sign.
2: Something to watch before I go watch 555 because everyone was talking about it in 2003 when I first started downloading stuff.

You make Kuuga sound like some kind of KR version of Metal Gear what with the heavy handed morality lesson that it doesn't crack a smile once while giving.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Craptacular! posted:

1: Grown up stuff.

This is maybe a slightly weird thing to seek in a children's toy commercial.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kuuga's the sort of show where people try to live their daily lives while monsters commit mass murder games and the police are almost completely helpless to stop them, but the police find an unlikely ally in their own, much friendlier monster. Who also happens to originally have been a good-natured guy who was in the wrong place at the right time, and the only thing preventing him from becoming a true monster like the others is his sheer dorky goodness. It's the sort of show where a guy in a rubber suit pretends to be a karate bugman and beats up other dudes in rubber suits, and then he gives bystanders and would-be victims (usually the police) a cheery thumbs up.

That's literally Kuuga's thing by the way, he gives people a thumbs up. It's great.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Craptacular! posted:

1: Grown up stuff. I guess. I tend to think of KR as Spider-Man on a motorcycle, but I know that's wrong. If I can avoid seeing a masked hero dancing, that's probably a good sign.
2: Something to watch before I go watch 555 because everyone was talking about it in 2003 when I first started downloading stuff.

You make Kuuga sound like some kind of KR version of Metal Gear what with the heavy handed morality lesson that it doesn't crack a smile once while giving.

Faiz is actually a perfectly suitable first Rider series. It has all the great things that make Kamen Rider good, and you're less likely to notice the worse things about it if you don't have other series to compare it to.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Craptacular! posted:

If I can avoid seeing a masked hero dancing, that's probably a good sign.
Funny story, the one where they dance is actually really loving dark. (The Madoka guy got put in charge of that season. No, we're not sure why they thought he'd be a good choice for a kid's superhero show.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Funny story, the one where they dance is actually really loving dark. (The Madoka guy got put in charge of that season. No, we're not sure why they thought he'd be a good choice for a kid's superhero show.)

Yeah, dancing fruit samurai Gaim was probably the darkest KR in a long time and, for all its flaws, is probably the best-written of those few serious and older-audience Kamen Riders. And that's weird as gently caress.

Also Urobuchi got the job because he's always been a big fan of Kamen Rider. He did write Blassreiter after all, though if you don't remember that's fair because who the hell remembers Blassreiter anyway. And on top of that he put a scene in Fate/Zero where Saber rides a motorcycle. If it weren't for the fact that he couldn't write well around the whole toy scheduling thing, and his forcing of a bittersweet(?) ending, he actually worked out pretty okay. When you think about it, he wasn't too inappropriate a choice. Though KR is very much a childrens' toy commercial, the franchise started out comparatively dark and tragic considering its target demo. Which is probably why it's stayed popular for so long, kids can tell when a writer respects them enough to handle some heavy stuff and that translates to some long-lasting nostalgia when they grow up. Urobuchi was probably one of those kids.

It's just weird in a phase 2 Heisei series.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
sounds like you should start with Agito, imo

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

John McClane posted:

sounds like you should start with Agito, imo

Yeah Agito and Faiz are mostly pretty serious, though you may get sick of Faiz's soap opera bullshit like I did. W is a pretty good first Rider, too. Talky belts, but an otherwise pretty "grounded" gimmick of weird biotech USB drives that turn you into a monster when you stick them in your body. I would almost recommend Drive, but you'd probably be turned off by the little hot wheels cars that he uses to swap forms.

Kabuto flew so close to the "a good show" sun, and then its wings melted like... right after Gattack shows up. Kabuto's "final form" arc really fell to pieces imo, and it seemed like the writers kind of lost control of the narrative and didn't know how to end the thing. Kabuto's movie explains a lot about the setting of the show, and features Tendou in a sweet cowboy hat.

Hibiki is good, but also weird and non-traditional. Also relies heavily on cheapo early-2000s TV-grade CGI, so it looks somehow more dated than dudes in monster suits. Hibiki himself doesn't get a motorcycle license until the second half of the series, and mostly gets driven around by his support team in a Honda Element, which is one of the most hilarious ongoing product placements I've ever seen.

I like Kiva a lot, but you will probably definitely hate the talking CGI clockwork bat that turns into his belt :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Son Ryo posted:

Faiz is actually a perfectly suitable first Rider series. It has all the great things that make Kamen Rider good, and you're less likely to notice the worse things about it if you don't have other series to compare it to.

It also doesn't have good subs yet

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Please don't tell people to watch shows that only have TVN subs they might think those subs are good and that is Illegal

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

That's what keeps me from recommending Blade

Also if you want a really serious Rider series, Amazons is one of the best examples by virtue of being one of the only ones made for an older audience. Kuuga through, I think, the first half of Hibiki were also mostly aimed at older audiences, but were still kid shows made with those constraints in mind.

Thank Christ for Fiaz in that case

Shin, The First, The Next and Amazons are the only ones really aimed at teens to adults, maybe including ZO.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I thought there was a blade sub, did it stall out??

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Blade has had redone subs, Faiz has not

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
blade's subs are fine, i watched it for the first time this year

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serious Frolicking posted:

blade's subs are fine, i watched it for the first time this year

TVN or GabuAnon because one of those is objectively incorrect

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, obviously not tvn.

edit: looked it up and it is turn up scrubs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I tried watching the Blade TvN subs and

Usually TvN is just lovely at what they do but they're, some times, better than HK subs and the only option for shows like GranSazer (before that changed thankfully) and UltraSeven X(which still hasn't changed)

Their Blade subs are loving incomprehensible and make no sense at all.

Their Nexus subs straight up lie about major important plot points and mean the EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT THEY SAY.

This cannot be overstated- do not use TV Nihon subs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Funny story #2 Craptacular: Since all the subbing groups are fans, they can vary wildly in quality if you find a group with bad QC.

TV-Nihon, the TVN we're talking about, literally translates their script by tearing it to pieces and then throwing the crumbs to a subforum to translate, each section entirely out of context.

It works exactly as well as it sounds like it does. (For newer KR, you're gonna want Over-Time. Older ones, ask the thread.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

I tried watching the Blade TvN subs and

Usually TvN is just lovely at what they do but they're, some times, better than HK subs and the only option for shows like GranSazer (before that changed thankfully) and UltraSeven X(which still hasn't changed)

Their Blade subs are loving incomprehensible and make no sense at all.

Their Nexus subs straight up lie about major important plot points and mean the EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT THEY SAY.

This cannot be overstated- do not use TV Nihon subs.

there's better blade subs in the OP at least

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The funny thing about Misao is that I listen to a Power Rangers rewatch podcast, and he is exactly their reading of Tommy Oliver in the first season, super socially awkward and desperate for friendship.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
reminder that the MMPR comic that's coming out is super great

the newest issue features Tommy hitching a ride on the Pterodactyl zord then jumping off and punching through the eye of the dragonzord so that he can fight scorpina in the control room

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I used to watch poorly translated HK subs of stuff, in fact I used to buy/rip/share that stuff once upon a time. My subtitle game is strong.

My only interest in 555 was because I used to hang out in TVN's IRC downloading stuff from XDCC bots in 2003, where catchphrases and references to it were everywhere. I passed on KR completely to watch Hurricanger and Abaranger because I had never seen "Japanese Power Rangers" before and that was the big draw.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 6, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Blade has had redone subs, Faiz has not

That's actually not entirely true. Someone over at TV-N redid the whole translation a year or two ago and put it on the DVD raws, and while it's still TV-N it's a lot better than their usual fare, and a *lot* better than Faiz' subs were originally.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Son Ryo posted:

That's actually not entirely true. Someone over at TV-N redid the whole translation a year or two ago and put it on the DVD raws, and while it's still TV-N it's a lot better than their usual fare, and a *lot* better than Faiz' subs were originally.

It's still TVN and thus wrong

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's not one of the TV series but I recommend reading the 1970's Kamen Rider comic. I was turned on to it by this blog post (which in an age where everyone wants to look smart and just ramble bizarre "analysis's" of low media online, is a very good post that shows what an analysis SHOULD be, one that actually does research and understands the cultural context of the work and values what it says...) and honestly, the 1970's comic is far ahead of its time and is far smarter than comics in the same time era I've read. I think reading the comic led to a greater appreciation for what the series is and how its changed than multiple neo-hesei's I've watched.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Craptacular! posted:

I passed on KR completely to watch Hurricanger and Abaranger because I had never seen "Japanese Power Rangers" before and that was the big draw.

I would love some good subs for Aba and Hurricanger.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
TVN is worse than OT and GUIS but they aren't garbage. If you want to watch a show and can only get TVN subs then go for it. Although, having said that, I should probably warn you that what I've seen was their later pre-OT sentai series, which are apparently of a less cringe-worthy nature than stuff like Faiz and Blade, which were translated a few years previously. Also IIRC they had lovely hard subs too at the time? Back in the day when 90 percent of these series didn't have any subs at all something like TVN was a godsend and they still are for those ones which didn't get scrubbed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
TVN is literally garbage actually and in many cases flat out wrong so no it isn't worth watching their subs to experience a show you haven't seen before

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if they just made mistakes that would be fine. less than ideal, but fine. however, they defiantly maintain that completely incorrect translations are actually correct and even if they aren't their version is better so gently caress you guys.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serious Frolicking posted:

if they just made mistakes that would be fine. less than ideal, but fine. however, they defiantly maintain that completely incorrect translations are actually correct and even if they aren't their version is better so gently caress you guys.

Also they defend not translating chunks of the show by talking about cultura whitewashing

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

TVN is worse than OT and GUIS but they aren't garbage.

They definitely are abject trash that should be launched into the sun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'd rather have anyone else's subs over TVN's...but I'll take TVN subs over no subs at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

I'd rather have anyone else's subs over TVN's...but I'll take TVN subs over no subs at all

I would rather not know what happens in a show than waste my time watching it and still not actually know what happens

Also stop talking about TVN like they're defensible you idiots I will call the police

• Locked thread