Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gitro
May 29, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Battle difficulty doesn't correctly adjust with ingame difficulty settings :v:

So what does it do? Unless the tooltips are lying dropping from VH to H removes the leadership penalty from my units and leaves the AI with their buffs. Don't know about other stats because I never bother to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Gitro posted:

I don't think units get nerfed on hard, do they? It's a leadership bonus to the AI and maybe some other stuff but nothing that directly affects your troops. Still a relative nerf obviously.

Enemy troops get direct combat bonuses. It's essentially a nerf to your forces.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gitro posted:

So what does it do? Unless the tooltips are lying dropping from VH to H removes the leadership penalty from my units and leaves the AI with their buffs. Don't know about other stats because I never bother to check.

The tooltips are lying. Start a fight and mouse over enemy troops' leadership.

Fortunately, There's A Mod For That!

Gitro
May 29, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The tooltips are lying. Start a fight and mouse over enemy troops' leadership.

Fortunately, There's A Mod For That!

So the Hard bonus to leadership isn't supposed to be 10 :v: I thought it was a bit high but i figured I was misremembering. At least it removes the nerf to your own troops. It's a good difficulty.

I conceded during the deployment phase while I was testing and somehow Gelt made off with a follower :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's the max level for heroes and legendary heroes? Trying to plot out points.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Gitro posted:

So the Hard bonus to leadership isn't supposed to be 10 :v: I thought it was a bit high but i figured I was misremembering. At least it removes the nerf to your own troops. It's a good difficulty.

I conceded during the deployment phase while I was testing and somehow Gelt made off with a follower :shrug:

The ai gets bonuses to leadership on normal I believe. Try testing it on easy

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is Swag and Plunder achievement broken? I clearly have more than 20 da hoards.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What are the functional differences between chariots and cavalry?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

The ai gets bonuses to leadership on normal I believe. Try testing it on easy

Selecting Hard at the new campaign screen is an AI leadership bonus of 5. Selecting VH at the same is an AI bonus of 10, -5 to me. Selecting VH from screen and lowering to H in-game is an AI bonus of 10, no penalty to me. I would be surprised if the AI gets any leadership bonuses on normal, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the no bonuses/penalties tier.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the max level for heroes and legendary heroes? Trying to plot out points.

30 for both.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

What are the functional differences between chariots and cavalry?

Chariots are all about the charge, they have a high mass and impact damage but their starts make them sub-par in any prolonged combat. Anti-Infantry

Cavalry can get stuck in when needed, and some of them are effective vs large targets

Also, just started a greenskins campaign on very hard. I don't understand how people can say greenskin ranged units are bad. My Orc arrer boys have the highest kill count by far in my battles.

Gitro posted:

Selecting Hard at the new campaign screen is an AI leadership bonus of 5. Selecting VH at the same is an AI bonus of 10, -5 to me. Selecting VH from screen and lowering to H in-game is an AI bonus of 10, no penalty to me. I would be surprised if the AI gets any leadership bonuses on normal, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the no bonuses/penalties tier.

30 for both.

Interesting. Does the AI get bonuses to combat stats or just leadership?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

Interesting. Does the AI get bonuses to combat stats or just leadership?

I was comparing swordsmen and spearmen to swordsmen and spearmen and the unit cards were otherwise identical when I changed the difficulty in-game. I didn't check other stats in plain old VH so I don't know what the difference would be or if it's displayed like everything else. I don't see why it wouldn't be, so presumably their stuff fights longer but is otherwise identical.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Fangz posted:

Why not wait for the AI to build up Marienburg for you, then go nab it later or just confederate into it? Maybe it is a good idea to go to war with Marienburg, but that's not the case with every game. As far as I see, fighting there would have weakened my position in my game, so I don't think it's right to claim that taking Marienburg ASAP is 'critical'.

In my game I confederated with Marienburg at about turn 40 and gained a level II port and temple to sigmar (these are really expensive), top level barracks/stables and 2 top level resource buildings. It's made a huge difference to my war effort! Unfortunately the confederation penalties (as well as intervening with Brettonia's Special Chivalric Combat Zone) has turned the mountain dwarfs all grudge-y.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Also, just started a greenskins campaign on very hard. I don't understand how people can say greenskin ranged units are bad. My Orc arrer boys have the highest kill count by far in my battles.

such people have not faced a savage ork army with 8 arrer boyz and 8 boar boyz.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Swag and Plunder achievement broken? I clearly have more than 20 da hoards.

It is, instead you have to build all 20 of them on the same turn to get it :suicide101:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I don't think the 760 can even make good use of DX12 but I'm not certain. It seems like DX12 really demands a 9 or 10 series for NVidia and a 3 or motherboard-wrecking 4 series for AMD.

I can use DX12 on Radeon HD7970, which was released 4 years ago :pcgaming:
The game complains that 3GB of RAM is not enough, but still looks pretty.

In mu dwarf campaign news: 70 turns in, almost wiped greenskins and I've noticed I havent recruited a single piece of artillery. It made for a pretty poo poo battle against Azhag because half of his stack was orky catapults. It's even worse when fighting underground since I often have to charge uphill.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Could someone explain in detail how confederating works? Do you have to "ally" first?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Could someone explain in detail how confederating works? Do you have to "ally" first?

Generally the way I've seen it work, is that it's the last thing they'll accept, so once you're in a military alliance with a province, then they'll typically accept confederation.

Try not to do it though, you'll typically inherit a tonne of debt, an ally built army, and it'll be harder to maintain relations for around 5 turns.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

As far as I can see it's treated like any other deal, but relative power seems to play a big(ger?) role. If the AI is beat up and on the ropes they're more likely to confederate with the parent faction. If they really like you and you're stronger than them they'll also be willing to confederate. Presumably you could bribe people into confederation too, and if their acceptance is high there's no downside to extorting some money as well.

Factions with Underdog are more likely to confederate, and less likely if they have Distrust. You don't need to be allies but the relations help if you're trying to confederate someone who isn't losing a war. You can confederate as part of a peace deal, so if you're Grimgor beating up some orcs you can maybe gobble a bunch of territory after just a few fights.

After confederation you take a -8 public order penalty in all your provinces, a -40 relations with all same race factions and you'll be unable to confederate (won't even show up in the diplo menu) for 10 turns IIRC. Not sure about the exact amount of turns or if the diplo penalty is to everyone. You inherit all their buildings as-is and all their armies and items but not their wars or money. This applies to the AI too, so if you're not at war with Grimgor and an orc faction you're sieging down confederates you'll have to re-declare if you want to take the settlement. All the garrison forces of your confederation target (not sure if it affects your already owned stuff) are reduced to a quarter or a fifth of their maximum strength and recover at the normal rate, so if they have something being seiged down by someone you're also at war with you better have an army nearby.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Is there a mod that halts the cap timer if you have units sitting in an uncontested city centre? Just lost a defense because routing enemy units capped the flag and my dwarfs could not get back in time to fully flip it back before the time ran out. Pretty stupid poo poo.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

So are Big Un's or Black Orcs meant to be my front-line to replace Orc Boys? Neither have shields, which seems weird when every other faction seems to have a clear "this is your tarpit, use these guys" unit progression.

Orcs have, without a doubt, the worst line infantry ingame. No mid or late game shield units which makes them melt to normal arrow type ranged. Their ever so 'amazing' black orcs can and will lose out to dwarf warriors, a tier 1 unit, if you don't keep an eye on them 24/7 (had a fight where rank 4 black orcs got murdered by rank 1 dwarf warriors, what the gently caress game?). Their shock cav, the boars, are just straight up weaker than other races cav and are more or less useless in comparison. Trolls flee at the drop of a hat and are terrible overall because of it. The only way to win vs Dwarfs is to have loads of monsterous units like Arachnarock Spiders (which is a legit good unit, one of the few greenskins have) or have a clear and decisive 2 to 1 ratio in numbers, and even then its not guaranteed if those dwarf units are of a higher tier. The only thing holding a greenskin playthrough up is Grimgor Ironhide, and gently caress you if you pick Azhag because then you're in for tortureplay, making Chaos seem like a goddamned pickle.

Orcs feel really underpowered in this game, and desperately need a rebalancing buff in some shape, way or form.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Gejnor posted:

Orcs feel really underpowered in this game, and desperately need a rebalancing buff in some shape, way or form.

poo poo. Was about to start a Hard Orc playthrough after finishing normal Chaos, Empire and Dwarves. Should I wait til they're patched and play Vampire Counts for now? Are Vamps well balanced currently, or at least fun

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 6, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Just give them a shot and see if you like it. They're fun to play, Grimgor yelling at you is great. VC are great, orcs are more of an uphill battle.

VC are fun as hell, leaning towards the more powerful side of things (or just completely broken, I don't know how well the latest patch nerfed them). I haven't played very far in with Orcs above normal because I'm endlessly restarting campaigns but they were fine enough when I had next to no idea of what I was doing. At the very least you can beat up other orcs until you can just drown the dwarves around you in bodies.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 6, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Gejnor posted:

Their ever so 'amazing' black orcs can and will lose out to dwarf warriors, a tier 1 unit, if you don't keep an eye on them 24/7 (had a fight where rank 4 black orcs got murdered by rank 1 dwarf warriors, what the gently caress game?).

Have you got a replay of that one? I am not too sure I buy that that's possible and there may be something going on that you didn't notice that may help you in future.

While their cavalry has on paper the worst statistics in the game among the lot of them, they're still better against a lot of factions due to being armour piercing which gives them a niche role at the expense of general stats, but it's still a strong unit.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Yeah the last time I sent Blorcs against dwarves they did drat well, and when Black Crag's garrison sallied out the 3 units of them mulched through my front line.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
so I'm dealing with 4 underpowered Varg stacks running around the north, The Skaelig have full powered stacks coming back, Marienburg came back to take the second town back so I was able to properly take Marienburg without having to fight Nordland or confederate them.

And then... I was sending Karl to go fight the Chaos stacks, because he was in the area having gotten the Runefang. And then, for reasons I cannot fathom, I get the message "The Warriors of Chaos have been obliterated" and I'm just wondering if somehow, the AI managed to take two full stacks of Chaos and actually kill them.

That's the first time the allied AI has shown even a hint of sanity. I'm learning to start extorting money on agreeable deals since I'm not the money powerhouse I was last game.

What's good stack composition for the Chaos Warriors? I have 4-6 Halberdiers, 4-6 Handgunners. 1-2 Reiksguard and then around 4 Artillery, with a Lord and Special to fill out the ranks (Franz currently has a Light Wizard and a Warrior Priest with him)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Halberdiers are good, ditch the warrior priest for a witch hunter/bright wizard (probably a witch hunter) unless you're really married to using them. It's a tossup whether crossbows or handgunners are better, but you'll probably want the AP of handgunners despite the pain of moving them around.

And demigryffs, they're still amazing.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Yukitsu posted:

Have you got a replay of that one? I am not too sure I buy that that's possible and there may be something going on that you didn't notice that may help you in future.

While their cavalry has on paper the worst statistics in the game among the lot of them, they're still better against a lot of factions due to being armour piercing which gives them a niche role at the expense of general stats, but it's still a strong unit.

I did not, i got angry at video games (tm) after i lost that underway fight where i decided to fight it out instead of letting the auto-calc deal with it (8:2 in my favour, a slim red line for the dwarfs) and the game proceeded to hand my rear end to me, my 4-6 black orcs getting mulched by Dwarf Warriors. I will add that i was fighting uphill, they had more melee than me overall but i figured elite tier 4 units, most of which are above rank 2 coupled with a maxed out melee skills grimgor should be able to handle tier 1 units who're ranked 0, but NOPE.
Edit: I could reload a save and here is the pre-battlescreen

The big problem imo (besides no really good tarpit unit) is that for some reason orc infantry is built like Cavalry, they have high charge bonuses, good melee attack and also very good melee damage, but its wasted vs Dwarfs because they have much much muuuch higher melee defense and armour (not to mention they can negate the charge when braced) meaning that every strike they do have a good chance of missing, and even if they don't its going to be reducded like crazy, except in the case of black orcs but then again melee defense takes care of that.

It just that imo, infantry for orcs just straight out sucks, its too gimmicky built and doesn't line up with the core philosophy of the game of hammer and anvil type fighting. Orcs are all Hammers without an anvil and they are only good when charging, which only happens a couple of times per unit per fight. Meanwhile every single other race has decent to good tarpit units meant to hold someone in place so a hammer like unit can come in and wreck your day. Add in that for some reason theese orc hammer units will outright lose in 1v1 situation to most units and you've got a serious problem in my book.

Im probably being unreasonable but Orcs feel really off to me personally.

Truecon420 posted:

poo poo. Was about to start a Hard Orc playthrough after finishing normal Chaos, Empire and Dwarves. Should I wait til they're patched and play Vampire Counts for now? Are Vamps well balanced currently, or at least fun

Vampires are probably my favorite faction, their starting units aren't exactly great but thats how it feels like its supposed to be since they are supposed to wear down your opponents so you can use ghost men or mannfred/vargulf and just destroy them, that and that they are truly dirt cheap and you can replace their losses instantly with the raise dead mechanic. Later on they get really good infantry, monsters and cav. A++ solid faction fantasy and mechanics.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 6, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Could it have been artillery/bomb hits throwing your black orcs down the hill? Other people have said they've seen dwarves die on downhill charges from the fall damage, no idea if that'd apply to black orcs though.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The sheer amount of dwarf warriors there would be a big problem - your melee lines is just not big enough to face them and you have no real shock force to hit the flanks and break them that way. The high number of archers is mostly wasted against dwarfs, I feel. I don't know, especially counting the fact you're fighting uphill then it's not too surprising that you lost. It's not like it was a one on one situation and I think that units like Empire greatswords would suffer in much the same way.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
And the Dwarf Warriors in question had 51 (!) melee defense, axe lord more like OP lord. I did have 'ard ladz though but melee defense really is > than melee attack in this game for bigger sized units.

But yeah lol just press auto calc, lose 5-8 duds per unit instead good, great.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Truecon420 posted:

VC are the most fun afaik.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dear AI, when Chaos is right on my doorstep please do not get into wars RIGHT NEXT TO ME.

Get into wars in territory nowhere near me so I can bleed you for money through peace treaties.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Gejnor posted:

Orcs have, without a doubt, the worst line infantry ingame. No mid or late game shield units which makes them melt to normal arrow type ranged. Their ever so 'amazing' black orcs can and will lose out to dwarf warriors, a tier 1 unit, if you don't keep an eye on them 24/7 (had a fight where rank 4 black orcs got murdered by rank 1 dwarf warriors, what the gently caress game?). Their shock cav, the boars, are just straight up weaker than other races cav and are more or less useless in comparison. Trolls flee at the drop of a hat and are terrible overall because of it. The only way to win vs Dwarfs is to have loads of monsterous units like Arachnarock Spiders (which is a legit good unit, one of the few greenskins have) or have a clear and decisive 2 to 1 ratio in numbers, and even then its not guaranteed if those dwarf units are of a higher tier. The only thing holding a greenskin playthrough up is Grimgor Ironhide, and gently caress you if you pick Azhag because then you're in for tortureplay, making Chaos seem like a goddamned pickle.

I dunno, I conquered the south on hard using a combination of Grimgor+ posse, as well as goblin spears, orc boys, gobbo archers, wolf riders and wolf rider archers.
Worked pretty decent versus orcs, dwarfs and savage orcs (although the latter was a major pain).
Basic battle setup was goblin spears in the middle in a long line, with gobbo archers in front on skirmish mode, and Grimgor directly behind the line. Boyz were located pretty far back on the flanks. Wolf riders and wolf rider archers were deployed on the flanks.

Battles basically went as follows:
Early harassing of enemy team using wolf rider archers as well as killing off war machines using cycle charging wolf riders.
Once the enemy line came into range of the gobbo archers, one units was focused down, until the gobbo archers retreated by themselves behind the goblin spears.
The enemy line hits the gobbos, who doesn't break easily due to Grimgor, while I can manouvre the boyz into the flanks and hit them that way.
Meanwhile the wolf riders and wolf rider archers are cycle charging the enemy archers as well as the enemy line for morale damage. AI ranged units are typically in skirmish mode, so they will try to retreat upon a charge, which works well when cycle charging them. All the while my gobbo archers are firing on the enemy in the line as well as ranged units.

I am currently upgrading my stacks with better units, but my gobbo archers and wolfs are all silver or gold chevrons.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So if I'm playing as Chaos, what loving reason do I have to go around awakening northern tribes? Because if I awaken them they break my alliance to go to war with each other. If I re-invade them and vassalize them, they'll break the vassalage... to go to war with each other. That's the only reason I can think of for them to break it, given that they're deep in the green and much weaker than me, and all they do after breaking treaties is fight each other. What's the loving point, other than unlocking Siegvald?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nanomashoes posted:

So if I'm playing as Chaos, what loving reason do I have to go around awakening northern tribes? Because if I awaken them they break my alliance to go to war with each other. If I re-invade them and vassalize them, they'll break the vassalage... to go to war with each other. That's the only reason I can think of for them to break it, given that they're deep in the green and much weaker than me, and all they do after breaking treaties is fight each other. What's the loving point, other than unlocking Siegvald?

You don't have much reason. Don't gently caress around in the North, invade the South. Only awaken to create areas of rapid replenishment if needed.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nanomashoes posted:

You can also subjugate them the turn after they awaken, in which case they shouldn't attack each other.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Christ, Throgrim's armour quest is such a goddamn pain. We tried it in coop a few times with a normal army because the game gave us 60-40 odds, and it never worked out. Even when we took a completely dedicated one-track gimmick army full of slayers and trollhammers it was still incredibly close, despite a 90-10 win chance estimation.

On the upside, though, that battle really raised my estimation of trollhammers. Those guys just utterly melt giants, even the cannons can't keep up with that.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I had 0 issues with that battle just using a completely standard army with quarrelers and artillery.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Perestroika posted:

Christ, Throgrim's armour quest is such a goddamn pain. We tried it in coop a few times with a normal army because the game gave us 60-40 odds, and it never worked out. Even when we took a completely dedicated one-track gimmick army full of slayers and trollhammers it was still incredibly close, despite a 90-10 win chance estimation.

On the upside, though, that battle really raised my estimation of trollhammers. Those guys just utterly melt giants, even the cannons can't keep up with that.

Irondrakes, also, will loving clown Giants; I brought three units of those to the Troll Hunt quest battle and they were able to easily and safely focus fire on one large unit after the other due to the stubby nature of my infantry units. Also Thorgrim spent that entire battle under bombardment by blasting charges, organ guns, and my single unit of trollhammers as he somehow managed to hold a length of front I'd usually expect to need two infantry units to cover completely solo.

Trollhammers are amazing for wizards, or just for general ranged battlefield assassin duties. Think of them like short, heavily armored kisho ninja units, but lacking stealth and armed with rocket launchers.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Gejnor, would you mind submitting a replay? Greenskin infantry is quite strong in my experience, and what you're saying doesn't correlate at all with my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Giants have a ton of HP but pretty low armor. It's one of the reasons you rarely want to lead your charge with giants in your greenskin army.

e:

unwantedplatypus posted:

Gejnor, would you mind submitting a replay? Greenskin infantry is quite strong in my experience, and what you're saying doesn't correlate at all with my experience.

Yeah I would like to see this too. Black orcs have some issues (expense, 3 turn recruit time) but they have high armor, decent armor piercing damage, and really high leadership value so mine always do very well against dwarfs. They are vulnerable to some ranged but should be very good once stuck in with the rest. I've spent a lot of time playing the greenskins in campaign mode so maybe I'll try to make an effort post with my thoughts about the units.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 6, 2016

• Locked thread