Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

this brawl reminds me a lot of the defense only brawl, by which I mean that it is garbage

is it really so hard to come up with a good idea for this

What's the brawl for this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Supports only.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Supports only

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

redweird posted:

If you main a character you should be ashamed. I'll always play what I think the team needs, but most of the time what the team needs is for me to kill people. The one exception was this dude I saw who had 45 hours on Reinhart and was a really good Reinhart.

Anyway, I don't think you even get close to your capabilities without trying out a bunch of different characters on different maps both attack and defense. Like, if someone instalocks Widow on Kings Row attack I won't be mad because that is a good play: Widow makes it a lot harder for defense to hold that first choke.

However, if someone instalocks Genji they are almost guaranteed to be terrible.

The team always needs more Zarya. :colbert:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

gmq posted:

always go for the tobelstein

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Supports only.

it also seems to be anubis only, tho I could have just been way unlucky

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

it also seems to be anubis only, tho I could have just been way unlucky

I only did it once and it was Hollywood

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

gmq posted:

Yeah dogg. Zarya is strong as hell. I've stopped playing her for the moment because of her right click bug but once that is sorted out I'm all over it.

Quick question: Does Graviton Surge allow Reinhart's Earth Shatter to go under an enemy Reinhart's shield?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I only did it once and it was Hollywood

then I'm additionally mad that the game put me in 6 different anubis games on 6 different servers

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

JackDarko posted:

Should I just switch off of Rein when my team is all flankers and the healer only follows them to die over and over?

Absolutely. If there are 3 flankers on your team and they ignore your "hey guys maybe you shouldn't all be flankers" calls, then you should not be playing Reinhardt or Mercy. You're not likely to accomplish anything.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is it just me or has solo queue QP matchmaking started taking forever in the past few days? I went from waiting 10-30 seconds for a match to 3+ minutes now. I'm 99% sure I'm not under a leaver penalty or anything like that.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Lester Shy posted:

Is it just me or has solo queue QP matchmaking started taking forever in the past few days? I went from waiting 10-30 seconds for a match to 3+ minutes now. I'm 99% sure I'm not under a leaver penalty or anything like that.

The playerbase has been split between Quick and Competitive I guess.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

I find matches in less than 30 seconds so maybe it's your location? Or maybe you're too good/bad and it's having problems finding people your rank?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
As far as QP is concerned, my view is to play as who you want and have fun. I'm not saying throw games away by playing stupidly, but just because your 4 teamates lock in Off/Def heroes and you're sitting there with no tank or support it doesn't mean it's your job to do it. I actually like playing Lucio, but I drat sure don't want to play him every match. Sometimes I actually want to practice and get better with 76 or find spots for turrets with Torb.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Re: Leavescumming:

Jeff Kaplan posted:

We have some improvements coming that should address some of the "Leaver" issues. We should be able to get some in this week and more are coming later on.
Source

Do you think this'll mean people can pull back out of the >50 rank abyss by actually winning matches regardless of leavers now?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

this brawl reminds me a lot of the defense only brawl, by which I mean that it is garbage

Can't wait for next week's brawl: offense only

Where are they getting all this game design talent from?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's because they need a new one every week and making something actually cool, like, say, everyone gets a random grab bag of hero powers, would be a lot of work.

Hearthstone was the same way, 95% of the brawls were total garbage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe the brawls shouldn't be weekly then

wit
Jul 26, 2011

piratepilates posted:

Can't wait for next week's brawl: offense only

Where are they getting all this game design talent from?

Week after: Junkrat, Symmetra, Pharah, Zarya, Winston, Reinhardt. Headshot or environment kills only. :smug:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's because they need a new one every week and making something actually cool, like, say, everyone gets a random grab bag of hero powers, would be a lot of work.

Hearthstone was the same way, 95% of the brawls were total garbage.

They should just rip off UT99 mutators for a while.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man, Genji "mains" are hellish on your team but played right they can be a massive pain in the rear end. Especially considering that Dragonstrike is way, way longer of a hit than the sword looks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wit posted:

Week after: Junkrat, Symmetra, Pharah, Zarya, Winston, Reinhardt. Headshot or environment kills only. :smug:

can any of them headshot in the first place or is that part of the joke

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

That is entirely the joke. It would be a sumo match.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I mean you could have just said environmental kills only

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Junkrat can! It's not easy obviously, but I've ricocheted a junkrat grenade off the side of a KOTH entrance and had it bounce back right as another Junkrat was running into the point and one shot him right in the head.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So, you've never played against a defending team which has a sniper, Torbjorn, or Bastion? That's really amazing.

I was making a joke at the expensive of snipers. Never had one on my team on attack that contributed anything. Obviously if they're on the other team they're the best players

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 6, 2016

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean you could have just said environmental kills only

Envionmental kills isn't currently a custom game setting which is what I assumed was what all brawls were lazily set with.

Macaluso posted:

Junkrat can! It's not easy obviously, but I've ricocheted a junkrat grenade off the side of a KOTH entrance and had it bounce back right as another Junkrat was running into the point and one shot him right in the head.

I actually wasn't sure about Junk rat when I included him, I keep hearing half the world saying he doesn't get crits and the other half saying he totally does.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Man, Genji "mains" are hellish on your team but played right they can be a massive pain in the rear end. Especially considering that Dragonstrike is way, way longer of a hit than the sword looks.

My problem is Good Genjis are always against me when I'm support/tank and I have no way to deal with them. Same with Good Reapers: just watching the opposing reaper chew through my entire team while they fruitlessly shoot into a Rein shield as my voicecoms go unheard.

The woes of being stuck in the 45-55 bracket.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Thor-Stryker posted:

My problem is Good Genjis are always against me when I'm support/tank and I have no way to deal with them. Same with Good Reapers: just watching the opposing reaper chew through my entire team while they fruitlessly shoot into a Rein shield as my voicecoms go unheard.

I think good genjis are like good widowmakers, you don't see them on your team, and the only time red team sees them is on killcam.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

Good Genjis are kind of like Good Spy, impressive in their bounciness, but the same amount of practice could go so much further in a different class.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't play Hearthstone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

genji is actually incredibly good when in the right hands. he has one of the highest skill ceilings imo and it's really really hard to deal with a good genji

I don't really get the disdain for genji. like hanzo I understand, but genji?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

genji is actually incredibly good when in the right hands. he has one of the highest skill ceilings imo and it's really really hard to deal with a good genji

Genji is incredibly good when in the right hands, sadly those players are never in my team. :negative:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkAuaFLgo2w

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Genji is like any "skill class", in that you have to practice to be good at him, and up until you become "good" you are barely worth the slot on your team.

Plus, most "good genjis" want to practice to become good genjis, which means they pick genji and -never leave-

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Here are some brawl ideas

Winston only, unlimited jump pack, one hit melee kills

Pharah only, touching the walls of a level instantly kills you

6 soldier 76s vs 1 genji with 800 health. Genji gains no ult charge

Hanzo, Tobjorn, Zenyatta. Headshots only

Regular match but every player is a Rip-Tire

Bastion only, constantly in tank mode. Tank can drive on any surface

6 roadhogs vs 1 lucio. Whoever hooks Lucio wins but Lucio has no cooldown on Amp it Up

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
You know what would be really cool to add to this game? Recon Mode.

Recon Mode is something from Splatoon that I'm amazed isn't a standard feature in multiplayer shooters. It allows you to go into any multiplayer map as a single player and just...check it out. Walk around, see everything, test out jumps, etc. That's something that would be really useful in this game and I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to implement. (Words a developer hates to hear, but still...)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Freeze tag.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is it me or anytime I see a Tracer with the punk skin, they are always annoying assholes to fight?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

Recon Mode is something from Splatoon that I'm amazed isn't a standard feature in multiplayer shooters. It allows you to go into any multiplayer map as a single player and just...check it out. Walk around, see everything, test out jumps, etc. That's something that would be really useful in this game and I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to implement. (Words a developer hates to hear, but still...)

Yeah its a pita to get kicked from your own 1up custom game for being inactive and having to set it all up again. Alternately, make a skirmish with a low level bot who can't bug you too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rocketlex posted:

custom games let you do that already. set it to skirmish

wit posted:

Yeah its a pita to get kicked from your own 1up custom game for being inactive and having to set it all up again. Alternately, make a skirmish with a low level bot who can't bug you too much.

you don't have to have bots in custom games. I've walked around a couple maps alone in custom game before