Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

YeOldeButchere posted:

Right, so basically subs, whether friendly or enemy, were simply beneath the concerns of the glorious Imperial Japanese Navy. A base task better suited for the IJA, really.

No, the Japanese showed an impressive level of creativity in trying to come up with submarines compliant with their doctrine - culminating with the project to use submarine carriers to destroy the Panama Canal locks. Clearly from the American point of view, they chose the wrong focus, but arguably them trying to destroy the Allied merchant marine and transports would have had only marginal effects on the war, and their only chance of improving their bargaining position in negotiating a peace was in achieving a series of military victories against Allied strategic assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

YeOldeButchere posted:

That's pretty harsh.

The Italian army wasn't actively conscripting workers for infantry from war industries vital to the Regia Marina for one thing.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
To be fair, both Italy and Japan had their codes broken. The British from Malta wern't just targeting which convoy, they would target which SHIP in the convoy. The Japanese ships were clocked down to the minute to their location and a US sub would be waiting for them, and get confused when they weren't on time.Then they'd be helped when the target would helpfully report that they were late and be there an hour later.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

RZApublican posted:

Are you planning anything special to get back at the Americans for occupying a base right next to the Home Islands, Grey Hunter? The taskforce that hit the base likely came from the Aleutians, are there any bases along the island chain that would be easy to take?

Yes Grey, what's the story here? You cannot allow that American presence to taint the Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere. The Yankee running dogs must be made to pay for their impertinence.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm sending a force to retake it. its just taking a little time.

I can't remember, but it may be undefended, and therefore gets missed in the combat reports.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The enemy subs seem to be everywhere!

No less than five duds hit this ship before one explodes.

We continue to do battle over the skies.

The Lysanders are losing a lot of planes.

We also take out a couple of Blenhiems.

Clean up in Burma continues.

It looks like they have relocated their planes.

We are taking them down in the air now, Akyab/Cox's Bazaar are good traps for the RAF.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

YeOldeButchere posted:

Why would seeing subs as dishonorable prevent them from developing good ASW? Limiting their own subs, sure, but there's no reason they wouldn't defend against dishonorable weapons.

"By leaving ourselves open to sub attacks and restricting our own sub operations, we'll claim the moral high ground! It'll be from the bottom of the sea, but it will be done honorably!"

Part of the Japanese neglect of ASW was due to the American torpedo problems at the beginning of the war. The failure of American subs to sink Japanese ships led the IJN to think that subs weren't a threat. By the time they realized they were wrong, they were pretty far behind. The Japanese also originally thought that American subs had a maximum depth of 150 feet, and so were consistently setting their depth charges too high.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Japanese wartime industrial management was a total clusterfuck. You'd think for a nation that had been at war for almost a decade, they'd have a more built up military industry, but Japan didn't really start maxing out its own wartime production until 1944. The Japanese Navy also had less wartime prioritization than the Army, so Japanese ships had to do nutty things like carefully conserve their shells - simply opening up with a measuring barrage like the Americans was considered seriously bad conduct - and staving off refits for years at a time. The IJNA also had less priority than the IJAA, so the Army would get the lions share of new airframes that were built, while the IJN had carriers sitting in port waiting to be stocked with new airframes. When you consider how small Japanese output was (for example, 13 new Zeros a week in 1942), you can see how some serious issues would start to develop, and how commanders would have to carefully conserve their machinery, because there simply would not be a quick repair if things went wrong.

Whereas the Americans, with half the world's industrial capacity, could just build shitloads of spare parts, and start jumping new carriers off the line at the rates of 2 or 3 a month by 1944. If a US battle commander lost ten destroyers, that was fine, because dockyards were making GBS threads them out an incredible rate. If a Japanese commander lost ten destroyers, he would quickly become an instructor on the mainland.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

A White Guy posted:

Japanese wartime industrial management was a total clusterfuck. You'd think for a nation that had been at war for almost a decade, they'd have a more built up military industry, but Japan didn't really start maxing out its own wartime production until 1944. The Japanese Navy also had less wartime prioritization than the Army, so Japanese ships had to do nutty things like carefully conserve their shells - simply opening up with a measuring barrage like the Americans was considered seriously bad conduct - and staving off refits for years at a time. The IJNA also had less priority than the IJAA, so the Army would get the lions share of new airframes that were built, while the IJN had carriers sitting in port waiting to be stocked with new airframes. When you consider how small Japanese output was (for example, 13 new Zeros a week in 1942), you can see how some serious issues would start to develop, and how commanders would have to carefully conserve their machinery, because there simply would not be a quick repair if things went wrong.

Whereas the Americans, with half the world's industrial capacity, could just build shitloads of spare parts, and start jumping new carriers off the line at the rates of 2 or 3 a month by 1944. If a US battle commander lost ten destroyers, that was fine, because dockyards were making GBS threads them out an incredible rate. If a Japanese commander lost ten destroyers, he would quickly become an instructor on the mainland.

Is there any really good essay or collection of testimonials from Japanese military officers about how seriously unfair going to war with the USA was?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I don't know about anything from the Japanese point of view, but there is this: http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm

Genda's Blade is an interesting read. It follows the 343 Kokutai, which was essentially the Japanese version of the Luftwaffe's JV44. Take all your top aces and veterans that you have left and throw them in the best plane you have (The N1K2-J Shiden-Kai), and see how you go. It's pretty hopeless by the end, desperately chasing formations of hundreds of B-29's while P-51's and P-47N's just obliterated them.

It ends with 3 of them being shot down by IJA anti-aircraft guns, because the army assumed that every plane in the air was American.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

TildeATH posted:

Is there any really good essay or collection of testimonials from Japanese military officers about how seriously unfair going to war with the USA was?

Japanese Destroyer Captain is the excellent memoir of a IJN destroyer Captain who fought in several of the major battles. Much of the book is his first person accounts of battles and other situations, but it also includes his analysis about the Japanese high command and the Americans, how and why things went down like they did and what he thought about all of it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

More duds hit.

We suffer a setback here.

This airfield is not going to be much use to them now.

Not much to comment on today.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Pretty dull 4th of July. Also having recently caught up: congrats on spawning the offspring, remember that it gets better.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Any more forces heading up the roads to the Chungking area?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You seem to be flying a really low number of sorties. Surely you've not lost that many planes?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

You seem to be flying a really low number of sorties. Surely you've not lost that many planes?

I assume he's only showing sorties that matter. And in places like Java the number of planes in any sortie is determined by the ability of fighters to link up with the bomber force (i.e. a dice roll), so it's not entirely predictable, or representative of the force present in theatre.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm talking about on the final intel score screen, with the plane tracking. IIRC the numbers were ~parity until 1944 last time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hm. On the other hand - would sorties outside the maritime theatres actually achieve anything at this point? In Burma, China? I'm gonna say no, except for the meta-game satisfaction of getting air kills, you'd only be destroying disposable Allied airframes while risking your own pilots and preventing negligible damage to your land forces.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know if it would be widening the pilot skill gap even further.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
IMHO it's referable to save your pilots for the Tojo revolution which will temporarily put your fighters above anything the Allies can field - assuming Grey is researching and preparing for it to happen.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Tojo revolution?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

YeOldeButchere posted:

Tojo revolution?

The Ki-44 Tojo

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Ki-44 Tojo

aka the P-40E's worst nightmare.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

How hard is it for the Japanese player to rush straight for the Frank, Aka the Nakajima Ki-84?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A White Guy posted:

How hard is it for the Japanese player to rush straight for the Frank, Aka the Nakajima Ki-84?

Impossible. You can convert research factories to focus on Frank, but the algorithm deciding whether a research factory becomes productive is based on how far away the historical production date is (except for upgrades of existing airframes, which can be researched immediately no matter what). So if you are trying to get an airframe that is three years away fast-tracked, you are hoping to get a bunch of 1 in a million die rolls to happen in order to start researching it.

Strangely it's possible to get an engine production line online much easier than the corresponding airplane, so you can end up producing jet engines years ahead of any operational jet air frame.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

Strangely it's possible to get an engine production line online much easier than the corresponding airplane, so you can end up producing jet engines years ahead of any operational jet air frame.

It's an accurate simulation of how Imperial Japanese engine manufacturers would constantly assassinate their airframe manufacturing counterparts in order to maintain their superior position.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bloody subs.

I'm taking Port Blair, mainly for something to say.

Hello mates.

Well, that's a little less effective.

This drat sub again?

This force is pursued south again, but holds the enemy for a day.

Another base in Burma falls to our troops – Next stop is Mandalay!

Its one for one here.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Try not to land any troops on North Sentinel by mistake. :ohdear:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

Try not to land any troops on North Sentinel by mistake. :ohdear:

Conscript the Sentinelese into a commando unit and drop them off in the continental US by submarine. :black101:

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think you missed the update for the 5th.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Duckaerobics posted:

I think you missed the update for the 5th.

I think you are right.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Jesenjin posted:

I think you are right.

Grey's just accurately roleplaying the IJN - there was a terrible calamity on the 5th that he'll keep secret until October, then casually begin mentioning snippets of just how disastrous the battle was for him.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
He accidentally blew up the Tokyo Bay Fortress

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

theblastizard posted:

He accidentally blew up the Tokyo Bay Fortress

Or as the news ticker in Hearts of Iron 4 goes:

quote:

Today, a nuclear strike was directed at the heart of the Japanese Empire. The capital of Tokyo, although expected to be the target of firebombing, was never assumed to be a prioritized target of this new weapon. Yet ultimately, perhaps due to the significance of the new capital and Imperial Palace which has now been destroyed, an even more all-consuming fire has fallen on the city.

Although the ruler of Japan is reported to have survived, the event has raised questions about how far Japan's enemies are willing to go. If the war does not end with this, what targets remain? What is left to threaten with?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

theblastizard posted:

He accidentally blew up lost track of the Tokyo Bay Fortress

ftfy

No, really, he has no idea where it is. Intelligence is trying to figure it out, but :shrug:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've moved up some more fighters.

The bombing runs continue.

A dull day, but we have troops moving around.

Glug Glug.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

5:45 AM update posting? Why yes, that is a man with a baby's schedule.

Rock-a-bye baby, in the flat top,
when the torp blows, the propellers stop.
When the bow breaks, the CV will sink,
And down will go baby, into the drink

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hey Grey, is the CV Hiyō still on track to launch at the end of this month?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

One of my sweeps catches something.

A lot of planes, all of which fail to hit anything.

This runway can't be good for much by now.

The British go after our airfield – a wise move.

They also go after Rangoon.

They have a lot more fighters than I do.

In the frozen north, an American bomber squadron raids our forces. I need to send some ships and get this moving again.

Its getting busier in the air, but its mainly the same few targets being hit.
The carrier forces have reached port – I'll do a report tomorrow when they go into refit.

Leperflesh posted:

5:45 AM update posting? Why yes, that is a man with a baby's schedule.

Rock-a-bye baby, in the flat top,
when the torp blows, the propellers stop.
When the bow breaks, the CV will sink,
And down will go baby, into the drink

You have no Idea, I've been up from 3:30am this morning, but the first two hours of that was trying to get him back to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Grey, buy one of those white noise generators and learn to wrap kid snugly. Check it on youtube, it helps.