Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Call Me Charlie posted:

And kinda related to that, Alessandro said "Sonoio it's over, I can't finish the new album"

:negative:

Aww really? That's disappointing. I really liked the first two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

There's a new track on Apple Music from Trent and Atticus Ross.
Juno - Single by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
https://itun.es/us/0yLsdb

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

not really feeling it :( sounds like a modernized but also much less interesting variation on Brian Eno's Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I thought it was just as good as anything on social network OST. Still my favorite from them

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's not amazing but it's still enjoyable. Not bad for an unexpected surprise track. :)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
So is there actually going to be new NIN this year? Trent was a bit premature with that tweet.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

One of the sites I saw this posted on stated Trent and Atticus were working on the followup to Hesitation Marks, but that could just be a filler line.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

magiccarpet posted:

One of the sites I saw this posted on stated Trent and Atticus were working on the followup to Hesitation Marks, but that could just be a filler line.
God drat I hope that's real :pray:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
He did say there would be new NIN in 2016, so it's probably real. Nowadays he seems to spring stuff on his audience rather than the extremely slow burn of the 90s releases.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Leon Einstein posted:

I wish Trent would've had a follow up to his new NIN tweet. What a tease.

Also, TDS has been my all time favorite album for the last couple of decades. It still sounds great!

The Downward Spiral is one of those rare albums that is pretty much great from the beginning to end. Still never understood why 'Reptile' isn't one of NINs biggest hits. It's my favorite NIN song.....

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The Downward Spiral is one of those rare albums that is pretty much great from the beginning to end. Still never understood why 'Reptile' isn't one of NINs biggest hits. It's my favorite NIN song.....

I love Reptile and its popular among fans but its not really "radio single" material in the same way as something like Closer or Sin

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I imagine everything on Spiral is the favorite of several people.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

RestingB1tchFace posted:

It's a pretty big live staple to this day, even if it didn't get released as a single.

(Supposedly Trent wishes he had released it as a single, but I can't find a source to verify that.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
We're in This Together seems like the biggest song that didn't get played a lot, if this list is correct. Most Ghosts tracks got performed more.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Megazver posted:

We're in This Together seems like the biggest song that didn't get played a lot, if this list is correct. Most Ghosts tracks got performed more.

It's out of his normal vocal range, so it shows up rarely.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Yeah I wouldn't shred my throat with that every night either.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

Actually that would be The Perfect Drug :smith:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

axleblaze posted:

Actually that would be The Perfect Drug :smith:

When I was at the OSR show, I saw it on the setlist around #15. Of course, the show got cut off after 6 songs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

blue.eyed.ash posted:

It's out of his normal vocal range, so it shows up rarely.

also its one of the worst NIN singles

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Actually that song rules

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember the first track I heard off of the fragile was The Day the World Went Away. I was so amazed at the mix of chaos, beauty, and despair, and was kind of disappointed when I heard the rest of the album, and how it wasn't just all that, in different songs. TDTWWA was like a louder A Warm Place, with lyrics and guitars, and I was expecting the rest of the album to feel similar to that.

BUT, it didn't take long for me to come around and really enjoy almost all of the rest of it. Some tracks I could do without, but most are fantastic.

If I were to make a mixtape of all of those haunting, depressingly eclectic, world ending tracks, it'd include the two aforementioned tracks, Non-entity, Beside You In Time, and Right Where it Belongs.

Anyone else have suggestions for more tracks like that? I kind of stopped paying as much attention to NIN after With Teeth, so I'm probably missing a few more.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Quite a few tracks from the movie scores. Like the last couple tracks from The Slip. Almost all of Still. The last two tracks from Hesitation marks. There's some in Year Zero, namely the last track.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Ghosts has some awesome stuff and some so so stuff. I honestly like every recording he's ever put out, but The Fragile singles were weak choices. Starfuckers is probably one of my least liked NIN songs ever, and TDTWWA literally has no hook, and WITT is too long and not interesting enough.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Growing up means realizing that a good half of The Downward Spiral is actually terrible but loving it anyways

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Growing up means realizing that a good half of The Downward Spiral is actually terrible but loving it anyways

I don't think half of it is terrible. There are tracks I care for more, and tracks I care for less but all of it is at least well-made.

I think 'Deep' might be the closest NIN have ever come to making a bad song.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Deep is really silly, but I still really enjoy it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

I feel that way about the Fragile but imo musically speaking every part of The Downward Spiral is close to perfect.

the lyrics are a bit cringeworthy in places but it is a NIN album after all

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Deep is really silly, but I still really enjoy it.

See, in terms of silly NIN songs, I'd have to go with With Teeth, only because of 'With-a TEETH-ahhhhhh'.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I think because a couple of songs on The Fragile are re-instrumentations of the same song if you are skipping through or have both disks in one folder on shuffle it seems samier than it actually is. Session notes on WITT are ridiculous, even by Trent standards there's so many tracks of audio at once. You can't deny that drum beat though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

I think because a couple of songs on The Fragile are re-instrumentations of the same song

I actually love that he does this. In film scoring, it's called a 'leitmotif'; when the score is very familiar and repeats itself based on what you're seeing. Kind of, sort of how Darth Vader always has the Imperial March or something similar when he's on screen. The Jaws riff is an excellent example.

The same thing happens in The Downward Spiral. The title track is, as we all know, a much longer version of the out-of-tune piano riff at the end of Closer. I find it really pulls the album together, gives it more of an identity, and I'm totally stealing that sort of idea for whenever I make more music again. :getin:

EDIT: vvv fair enough.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 6, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The motifs in TDS are one of my favourite aspects of that album, I understand what he's going for and have devoured every studio interview I can find on The Fragile, but as a listener it doesn't work quite so well for me personally. If he'd done it with
Just Like You Imagined I'd probably feel differently!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

I think because a couple of songs on The Fragile are re-instrumentations of the same song if you are skipping through or have both disks in one folder on shuffle it seems samier than it actually is. Session notes on WITT are ridiculous, even by Trent standards there's so many tracks of audio at once. You can't deny that drum beat though

the beat is great I just find the chorus really irritating.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think half of it is terrible. There are tracks I care for more, and tracks I care for less but all of it is at least well-made.

I think 'Deep' might be the closest NIN have ever come to making a bad song.
Haha that reminds me, did anyone here read The Meathead Perspective when that guy was still updating? Unplayed/unwanted copies of the "Deep" radio single was a common punchline.

I think Deep was technically the second NIN song I had. I bought used copies of The Crow and Tomb Raider soundtracks a bit before my NIN fascination started.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 6, 2016

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TDS era is the most technically perfect NIN, but The Fragile era is the most enjoyable to listen to. Broken is somewhere right in the middle.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I was farting around on NIN's youtube channel and as a reminder, the entire Tension set recorded at the Staples Center is still up in glorious 1080p. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBC3NXnN8y4

It also still loving rocks. Pino Palladino is amazing on bass.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stryder posted:

I was farting around on NIN's youtube channel and as a reminder, the entire Tension set recorded at the Staples Center is still up in glorious 1080p. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBC3NXnN8y4

Sure is! And that's probably the best we're gonna get considering we all know he's not releasing the loving Blu-Ray :haw:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Stryder posted:

Holy poo poo, how come I have never seen this before?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I thought it was just as good as anything on social network OST. Still my favorite from them

It might be because I read this before listening and it biased my opinion, but it sounds like it could be from that OST, which is definitely not a bad thing.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Deep sounds fine as long as you tune out the lyrics, but that's true of plenty of nin songs anyway. I remember being more annoyed because it seemed like the first new thing we'd heard in a while and it was... THAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

Stryder posted:

i need a gif of trent dancing at the beginning of sanctified lmao