Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's Mira who is wearing the Free the Soul cloak for no particular reason. You can see her black nails whrn she's walking out the X door.

E: that reminds me, the X door is actually the 10 door

At the time she screwed with the power to plunge the ward into darkness, so I'd chalk it up to camo.

mandatory lesbian posted:

sean somehow living in the outside world despite going everywhere with a giant dome where his head should be

I blame anime and cosplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i hate delta and i hate the ending

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Why was Gab there anyway thinking about it now.

Did Delta just bring his pet dog because he was bored or something

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I finished the game this morning and I really wish Uchikoshi had either leaned harder into Delta being Brother, or excised it entirely because as it is, it just feels like a really lazy way to try to patch the story together. Other than that, I was actually okay with the sudden ridiculous Delta reveal.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think Gab was supposed to contribute to Delta's blind/deaf/disabled ruse as his service animal.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
gab was cool, and i'm sad he dies in the one ending for no reason other then "lol look how evil this one dude is"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

He was there to pass notes between the wards time.

I think he was there to provide companionship during the DCOM. Kinda like those prisons where they have kitties or dogs for the prisoners to take care of.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

I finished the game this morning and I really wish Uchikoshi had either leaned harder into Delta being Brother, or excised it entirely because as it is, it just feels like a really lazy way to try to patch the story together. Other than that, I was actually okay with the sudden ridiculous Delta reveal.

Yeah, that gets at it I think. The plot would've felt a whole lot tighter if they had taken out all of the mentioned-but-not-followed-up-on free the soul/Radical 6 stuff. But then it'd be hard to say it was a sequel to the last game... Maybe they should've just made the game its own thing and not a direct sequel?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I actually wouldn't be surprised if uchikoshi goes ahead and does ZE4, especially if the 999 and VLR ports do well

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I wrote down all the X-Passes because I thought I'd need them at some point but oops I guess not

Here you go:

quote:

Carlos: Fire, Hero, Shift, Fight, -, Dream, Save
Akane: Crash, Hex, Six, June, -, Key, -
Junpei: Five, Hate, Ring, Jump, -, Quark, Doll
Q: -, Eye, Age, Bro, Self, -, -
Mira: -, Kill, Heart, Virgin, Rip, -, -
Eric: Ice, Fool, Love, Poor, Lake, -, -
Diana: -, Moon, -, Blue, Bird, Mom, -
Phi: Time, Future, -, Red, Twin, Dear, -
Sigma: Dad, Fate, -, Milk, Old, Arm, -

Most seem pretty self-explanatory, barring "Doll/Hate" for Junpei and "Milk" for Sigma. Also, fun fact: "Future" is too long to actually enter in the x-pass blanks in any ending!

I liked ZTD a lot and I wish there was more to it, as I've been really wanting to keep playing it since I finished it 100% but there's just... no more game. Hopefully there's another game!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I remember noting "virgin" is way too long to enter, myself.

^Jumpydoll!!!!

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 6, 2016

Jintor
May 19, 2014

So is Phi and Delta's existance analogous to the brooch since their point of origin is within the time loop that ensures their own creation

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So here's a question, how did Delta know who his parents were to begin with? The only way he knows stuff from other timelines is if he meets someone else who does, and he doesn't meet Sigma and Diana until he's over a hundred.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

flatluigi posted:

I wrote down all the X-Passes because I thought I'd need them at some point but oops I guess not

Here you go:

Most seem pretty self-explanatory, barring "Doll/Hate" for Junpei and "Milk" for Sigma. Also, fun fact: "Future" is too long to actually enter in the x-pass blanks in any ending!

I liked ZTD a lot and I wish there was more to it, as I've been really wanting to keep playing it since I finished it 100% but there's just... no more game. Hopefully there's another game!

Milk is what a cat likes and an anagram of Klim.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

So here's a question, how did Delta know who his parents were to begin with? The only way he knows stuff from other timelines is if he meets someone else who does, and he doesn't meet Sigma and Diana until he's over a hundred.

He doesn't need to know exactly who they are before the plot starts, other than they were in this shelter in 2029 on his birthday.

He does spend a few days with them before the abduction, and it's not particularly hard to reduce of the cast who his parents were, given Diana's red hair and the fact that he's named after a Greek letter.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

exploding mummy posted:

He doesn't need to know exactly who they are before the plot starts, other than they were in this shelter in 2029 on his birthday.

He does spend a few days with them before the abduction, and it's not particularly hard to reduce of the cast who his parents were, given Diana's red hair and the fact that he's named after a Greek letter.

Well, he also has no way of finding out when and where he was born.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
this games ending is bat poo poo crazy and now im here

time to catch up on 19 pages of quantum memechanics

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's possible that after the game, 1904 Phi comes into Morphogenetic contact with someone from this game and learns of everything.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
from the first god drat page

ApplesandOranges posted:

In addition, apparently someone worked out that Zero Time Dilemma can be unscrambled to 'Me, I'm Zero. I'm Delta.'.

this is fuycking briliiant holY gently caress

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
reading through and seeing all the little attention to detail like phi and Q being marked as alive after being born in the SigmaXDiana ending and poo poo just makes me want to scream UCHIKOSHIIIIIIII to the high heavens

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I am now reading the post-logs and I just put together that it was
Akane's dad falsely accused
Akan'e mom that killed herself, leaving Akane and Santa and
Sean's Doctor who got killed in the taxi

this game is REALLY good

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Luna Was Here posted:

I am now reading the post-logs and I just put together that it was
Akane's dad falsely accused
Akan'e mom that killed herself, leaving Akane and Santa and
Sean's Doctor who got killed in the taxi

this game is REALLY good

Dunno if you already knew, but it also heavily suggests that Mira is the one that killed Eric's Mother that Akane's Father is falsely accused of murdering, etc, etc.

That loving snail man...

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Dunno if you already knew, but it also heavily suggests that Mira is the one that killed Eric's Mother that Akane's Father is falsely accused of murdering, etc, etc.

That loving snail man...

oh yeah, forgot to put that at the start

so I think (plot holes aside) this game is like really friggin good. For me its a close second to VLR for best in the series but it is pretty much better than 999 and i can't wait to replay through all 3 when they get re-released

my weekend is kind of free-ish so I might throw together a whole post of just the timeline of events and poo poo if it hasn't already been done

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
hang on wait a second, do Mira and Eric kill Sean AND Delta with the grenade launcher in the study? I'm just trying to think of timelines where its announced Q is killed but Delta is left alive. I don't even remember seeing him or his wheelchair in that ending, what happened?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
also on shower vote scenes is he nowhere to be found and don't they call Sean. Q because i'm fairly certain that happened?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Everyone knew Q as 'the deaf and blind man in the wheelchair from Dcom.' Sean isn't referred to by name until after the reveal, and is not ever called Q or anything like that. Definitely go back and check out all the other Q-Team cutscenes to see how they work around it/how they foreshadow it, there's a hell of a lot of things that I can't believe I overlooked at the time.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Luna Was Here posted:

hang on wait a second, do Mira and Eric kill Sean AND Delta with the grenade launcher in the study? I'm just trying to think of timelines where its announced Q is killed but Delta is left alive. I don't even remember seeing him or his wheelchair in that ending, what happened?

If you check that cutscene carefully, you can see Q (Delta) death being announced while Sean is still very much alive. That puzzled me when I saw it, but I figured Zero was just calling it early.

Confirmation bias sucks.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So the reason Delta is hidden the whole game is because he's mind hacking the player to stay just out of sight?

In the ending where Zero taunts Diana about murdering everyone is he actually taunting the player?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

LostRook posted:

So the reason Delta is hidden the whole game is because he's mind hacking the player to stay just out of sight?

In the ending where Zero taunts Diana about murdering everyone is he actually taunting the player?

The idea is that you, as the player, are viewing most of the events unfolding from Delta's point of view through his security cam glasses.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I forget, was it ever explained who Sean is to Q? I mean, did Delta just model RoboSean off Sean (as opposed to some other person) for no reason?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Just finished it. Writing's really bad here. Wasn't exactly stellar in the previous ones, but 999 and VLR were fun in their pulpy way, and both got better as they progressed. ZTD seemed the opposite in that regard, the more I played the less I cared about the characters.

C-Team was terrible. Junpei's a whiny bitch whose every line starts with a sigh, Akane's a computer now because all she seems to do is make really complicated calculations in really short time. Any bit of characterisation they built up in 999 was lost. The only guy who did anything interesting was Carlos but he could at least not talk about his little sister every second line he gets.

Every time Zero gets on screen one character has to utter his name like the player would forget the name of the main villain.

D-Team was fun because Phi rules but then they went with the "everyone's a relative" route and it got bad because the story lost its focus on Phi. Sigma wasn't such an rear end in a top hat as he was in VLR this time around, I liked that. His bickering with Phi were the best lines of dialogue in the game, shame there were so little of them.

I liked Sean and his arc. His good ending was probably the most subtly resolved part of the whole game.

Mira/Eric angle was interesting for about 1/3th of the game and then it just went nowhere. They drop the whole serial killer bit entirely for some reason and it doesn't come back until one mention at the end. Their epilogue notes were just terrible.

The ending's not as bad as I expected but mostly it seemed they just ran out of money. One thing's that's sorely missing here is the genre change at the end. It was pretty smart in 999 where at the sixth ending you were thinking the plot was really loving epic and sprawling and then the real ending made it personal and switched it from murder mystery to a love story. VLR did something similar but it's ending served as a sequel hook and was less involving because of that. Here the whole plot is just a side note, kinda like MGSV was. But yeah, it does seem like there could be a fourth game coming sometime.

Definitely the weakest in the trilogy but it was to be expected. It's a small miracle we got this game anyway. I really liked VLR but now think both sequels were unnecessary.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Argue posted:

I forget, was it ever explained who Sean is to Q? I mean, did Delta just model RoboSean off Sean (as opposed to some other person) for no reason?

They were both at the hospital at the same time, Delta mentions wanting to make sure Real!Sean's dreams come true in at least one form/timeline.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The idea is that you, as the player, are viewing most of the events unfolding from Delta's point of view through his security cam glasses.

Right, and he uses that and his mind hacking to stay hidden.

It feels like he's fighting against ?/Blick Winkel as a sub-narrative.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I'm still annoyed that there wasn't more about Free The Soul/Left other that "Akane, come to our meeting next year to brief Young Sigma about his role in setting up the Nonary Game: Ambidextrous Edition" and "I had an adopted brother. He's not relevant."

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
He's shy and doesn't want to talk with the player watching.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'd like to take a moment to appreciate that one of Delta's COMPLEX motives is "i have to spook my dad's sperm so they make me."

I thought the ending was fairly disappointing with the lack of closure, but I mean, it's this series. I don't know what I was expecting. Still, though, there's not even a final puzzle room/challenge. Really the closest thing is guessing who Zero is, and they really hammer it in by the time you get there. Also Delta being Phi's twin is silly and serves no purpose, but hey.

Life is simply unfair. Snails. Mind Hack. Whatever. Game was still real fun.

Edit: Also, make sure to check your Files after you beat the game for some actual like, closure. I just noticed that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Argue posted:

The bit they don't really hammer is the old guy Sean was best buds with in the hospital before he died was presumably Delta

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Carlos is a real superhero.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Regarding Alice and Clover in the VLR timeline future. They're boned. The VLR epilogue sort of spells out their fate with the motorcycle club analogy that Tenmyouji brings up. As far as the true ending of ZTD, that timeline is no longer the "canon" history and it'll remain that way if unless they ever find the transporter to transfer their atomic data back to the ZTD true ending versions of them. Also during ZTD they're already in the treatment pods as they were kidnapped on December 22nd, just days before the start of the Dcom experiment.

I believe a [Transporter] was acknowledged in this game...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

curiousCat posted:

I believe a [Transporter] was acknowledged in this game...

When did I say they weren't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Akane and Junpei both transported into the VLR timeline from another one. Even with Junpei full of amnesia drugs, Akane still knows perfectly well where the transporter is, having no doubt kept track of it over the years - hell, it may even be tucked away in Rhizome-9. It's not a stretch to assume she intends to use it to send Alice and Clover's bodies back in time to shortly after they were abducted.

• Locked thread