Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Manatee Cannon posted:

custom games let you do that already. set it to skirmish

Huh. Hadn't thought of that. Good tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

wit posted:

I think good genjis are like good widowmakers, you don't see them on your team, and the only time red team sees them is on killcam.

There would be times where I'd queue with some friends, and have some random Genji on our team. I'd be playing a support where I'm able to watch and follow our team better and I still have to convince my friends that our Genji is a monster. Really, not every Genji/Hanzo/whatever instalock is terrible. You just gotta deal with it and hope they know what they're doing.

I've stopped whining about team comp after the attack map where my team had two Hanzos and a Widowmaker and we crushed them. Yeah, it was probably not matchmade very well, but all three of them did really well and weren't worthless teammates. One of those three even swapped to a Lucio near the end. I just think about that whenever I'm in a match and someone on my team flips out about us having two supports or two tanks or anything at all like it's the end of the world. Who loving cares, has become my thought about everything in this game. Are we winning? Yes? Stop complaining about everything, you're just bringing your team down. Are we losing? Stop whining and stop blaming everyone but yourself, raging out in chat isn't going to fix anything.

I had a teammate whiny about a Symmetra on the first point on defense. How can someone possibly complain about that. We weren't losing because someone picked Symmetra, we were losing because we were an uncoordinated mess of solos against two teams of three.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

You know what would be really cool to add to this game? Recon Mode.

Recon Mode is something from Splatoon that I'm amazed isn't a standard feature in multiplayer shooters. It allows you to go into any multiplayer map as a single player and just...check it out. Walk around, see everything, test out jumps, etc. That's something that would be really useful in this game and I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to implement. (Words a developer hates to hear, but still...)

Just create a custom game on the map you want with no bots? Not sure how that's different.

E: oh hey refresh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the thing about good players on your team is that you barely ever notice them until the potg/cards at the end

e: also sometimes it can be hard to have an accurate view of how effective players on the other team are because you might be playing a class that counters theirs pretty hard or vice versa. like I notice genji and roadhog more when I play tracer than I do on other classes, for example, because I either get oneshot (roadhog) or run into them on the flank constantly (genji)

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 6, 2016

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

custom games let you do that already. set it to skirmish

you don't have to have bots in custom games. I've walked around a couple maps alone in custom game before

squirrelzipper posted:

Just create a custom game on the map you want with no bots? Not sure how that's different.

E: oh hey refresh.

It only ever gives me a couple of minutes on a map before kicking me though, even on skirmish. Is there some setting I'm missing that stops the boot? The other downsides are that control maps are a coin toss and ults have nothing to charge against. Having a crash test dummy to plink at can be handy.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
It's really awesome when your teammate leaves after the attack gets the FIRST checkpoint of the match (before we've even had a chance to attack) against a team with a higher skill rank and you still lose half a tank. Awesome!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rirse posted:

Is it me or anytime I see a Tracer with the punk skin, they are always annoying assholes to fight?
I mean, yeah, it's Tracer. Her job is literally "be an annoying rear end in a top hat"

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Rirse posted:

Is it me or anytime I see a Tracer with the punk skin, they are always annoying assholes to fight?

Absolutely not.

Sometimes I play tracer

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Tracer definitely annoys me the most out of all the characters. Even the sound of her guns is like the buzzing of a gnat.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

PotatoManJack posted:

As far as QP is concerned, my view is to play as who you want and have fun. I'm not saying throw games away by playing stupidly, but just because your 4 teamates lock in Off/Def heroes and you're sitting there with no tank or support it doesn't mean it's your job to do it. I actually like playing Lucio, but I drat sure don't want to play him every match. Sometimes I actually want to practice and get better with 76 or find spots for turrets with Torb.

you monster

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I feel like I want to be able to play genji and widowmaker competently in situations that call for them, but those situations are rare enough that you don't get the practice to capitalize on them unless you slam pick genji/widowmaker all the time.

Though I'm starting to feel a catch-22 where any team that's not willing to swap for composition is probably going to be miserable to play support for anyway. Seems especially bad lately in QP and maybe comp mode's settled out enough to try out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
1 of my last 14 games. This sucks. Even if I was the worst player ever you think I would win a couple more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rocketlex posted:

If your team is all flankers chances are the objective is going sorely uncontested. Put up your shield, get on the point, and if anyone gives you guff you hold up your shield and waste their time until one of your flankers does their job and shoots 'em in the back.

It's kind of a misconception that Reinhardt is only, or even most, effective with his whole team clumped up behind him. His shield is a big, glowing target that can draw enemy fire to anywhere, exactly like a tank is supposed to. If your team is all flankers, they'll want their targets to be distracted so they can get the drop.

Something I like to do when attacking as Reinhardt is use my charge to get behind the enemy line and onto the objective, forcing the enemy to turn around and deal with me. While they fruitlessly shoot at my shield, my team swarms in behind their broken line and suddenly we're the ones in control. I've turned the tide of many a battle without causing a single point of damage.

From a few pages back, but this is especially true when playing Defense (if your guys don't need you shielding them right that second). You should be working to be King rear end in a top hat by charging into their midst, (or better still; getting behind them), and making yourself the biggest target you can be. The Attacking team has no choice but to pay attention to you and your shield instead of the Point/Payload while your buddies murder the poo poo out of them. Otherwise they all get a hammer to the back of the head.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rick posted:

1 of my last 14 games. This sucks. Even if I was the worst player ever you think I would win a couple more.

There's more to influencing a game than just skill. I've had good luck getting all 5/6 people on voice chat just saying something to the degree of like "sup all, we're going to win or die trying! want to get on team chat even if you don't have a mic?"

And then convince team to run mercy+Lucio (and probably be one of them yourself) and hopefully a well rounded comp, and trying to coordinate your ultras and convince people to group up at a pillar instead of letting people run in 1 by 1 just saying "yo we are a bit staggered, lets group up here and charge in right side, I've got sound barrier lets do this!".

I think it's quite powerful skill in breaking the ice and being positive and making people WANT to work together than farting off in a silent game. Ymwv but you'll heavily influence the odds anyway, and it goes quite awhile even if you suck. It might sound like hippy sense bullshit but it works.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

ColHannibal posted:

So almost the entire tf2 server I play with moved to overwatch for the time and there are 1 or 2 people who own the game and refuse to play quickplay or comp, all they want to do is custom matches against bots.

Never played against people.

I started out playing bot matches because it helps you learn your characters, Went from easy to medium - that was a huge shock, then I did competetive and die a lot.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Papercut posted:

It's really awesome when your teammate leaves after the attack gets the FIRST checkpoint of the match (before we've even had a chance to attack) against a team with a higher skill rank and you still lose half a tank. Awesome!

The best is when your teammate leaves halfway through a koth match, tied 1-1, and then when you win 2 more games in a 5v6 you get 1/10th the regular points.

I guess that could be useful if like high level win trading were a problem but uhhh jesus. I can't imagine that's enough of a problem to justify how lovely it makes winning a 5v6 feel.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

There's more to influencing a game than just skill. I've had good luck getting all 5/6 people on voice chat just saying something to the degree of like "sup all, we're going to win or die trying! want to get on team chat even if you don't have a mic?"

And then convince team to run mercy+Lucio (and probably be one of them yourself) and hopefully a well rounded comp, and trying to coordinate your ultras and convince people to group up at a pillar instead of letting people run in 1 by 1 just saying "yo we are a bit staggered, lets group up here and charge in right side, I've got sound barrier lets do this!".

I think it's quite powerful skill in breaking the ice and being positive and making people WANT to work together than farting off in a silent game. Ymwv but you'll heavily influence the odds anyway, and it goes quite awhile even if you suck. It might sound like hippy sense bullshit but it works.

100% of this makes me want to play with you, and I hope you get tons of wins playing this way. No bullshit.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I notice good players on my team when I play support mostly. Although I've been making it a point to pay more attention to my positioning relative to my teammates more often now. Probably common sense but actually looking at your team helps. Before I pretty much only observed my teammates when I was dead. Whoever said earlier in the thread that you want to be in the middle with Mercy so you can fly forward and backwards, thank you.

Fake Edit: Someone on Discord also told me to focus on commenting on the enemy team in comms and not your teams performance. That helps a ton with morale as well, calling a flanking Reaper helps a ton.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Xaris posted:

I tried comp solo queue, No one would talk on mic, and if anyone but me was on mic it was some 10 year old talking in russian or polish while his mum was telling him probably to get off the game and come for tea or something (why do they always have open mic)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Huxley posted:

100% of this makes me want to play with you, and I hope you get tons of wins playing this way. No bullshit.

Hah generally not nearly as much as I wish but I've mostly had very close tooth and nail games so far and could have gone either way, and sometimes you wish well that one guy could have switched or done more but whatever.

I think one of my recent favorite comp games as Route 66 on Attack and we couldn't barely push the payload past the first cliff bend at the start (30 something meters), like it was just sloppy and embarrassing not to make it very far, and of course the other team bm'd us with like "haha dicked". so I gave some speech to our team like "let's show these loving assholes theirs inside out and bring them our A game. We are all better than them and we will show them a true dicking" and we tryharded and ended up stopping them at like 28 m and we all had fun shittalking back after we won. Felt good

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Also if you're on console there will not be a soul using teamchat effectively. Proper PS4 mic procedure seems to be:

1. Put on mic
2. Immediately forget you have it on
3. At random intervals, just kinda chew it

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Grammaton posted:

Six Bastions on offense sounds kinda fun. I wonder if anyone's tried it.

Fps version of the age old RTS strategy where you build turrets closer and closer to the enemy base, I like it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rocketlex posted:

Also if you're on console there will not be a soul using teamchat effectively. Proper PS4 mic procedure seems to be:

1. Put on mic
2. Immediately forget you have it on
3. At random intervals, just kinda chew it

the real trick is to go in with your three-stack and pick up the guys with mics who play well with a team. I've got some guys I roll with

in case you haven't got me already, my PSN is adamsolo3000

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

foutre posted:

The best is when your teammate leaves halfway through a koth match, tied 1-1, and then when you win 2 more games in a 5v6 you get 1/10th the regular points.

I guess that could be useful if like high level win trading were a problem but uhhh jesus. I can't imagine that's enough of a problem to justify how lovely it makes winning a 5v6 feel.

Oh my god

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just having a couple of guys be friendly and positive throughout is great. I can't be the only one that plays way worse when the team is being berated and scrutinised by some all knowing arsehole pointing out the mistakes of each ally. That poo poo is stressful.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I think the game needs more characters before they go for nerfs.

I can't see how 50 shields for symmetra was broken. I mean then again even dva explosion was nerfed from stuff I've read. And i can't think of a map open enough that this was a thing. on top of it, this like a lot of things has a few hard counters.

Shields don't restore fast enough for someone to be invincible with 50 more shield. 25 only makes a difference in that some characters can't be shot in the body and die, (but theyre nerfing those characters anyway so?)

I also feel like competitive jumped the gun a bit.
it's already got people in the mindset of right vs wrong way to play when that was one of the strengths this game had going for it from the start.

The tips in the game need to be redone already. Instead of group up on me, the characters should say group up on the payload/point. I Think soldier 76 says this?
The no sniper needs to be taken out.
The Low damage should be taken out. (mainly because junkrat/roadhog)

As good as a character as symmetra is (but still needs more to be a true support, healing turrets really wouldn't hurt).
The healer section is literally Lucio or Mercy or both because of how frail zenyatta is and how much more useful the other two ults are.

I feel like whatever the next big content update is could make the game loving excellent. Right now it's fun, but it doesn't feel like something that can be taken seriously in the way some people are trying to yet.
Even then the issues with things like tiebreakers and even down to overtime extensions make it so that you wonder if the game was meant to be taken "super mlg serious" to begin with.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 6, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Xaris posted:

Having to beg people to play objectives in competitive is a bummer though )=

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
It would be interesting if they used Brawl as a way to test out potential buffs/nerfs/changes to characters. That'd get people excited to jump in.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtDJLVd_Hm0

My friend got 12 upvotes at the end of the game in comp.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Rick posted:

Having to beg people to play objectives in competitive is a bummer though )=

Its just basic social interaction people are not used to and stops them defaulting to running off like its a team death match. That's normally what happens when you're in a team of 6 players who won't talk to each other except to smacktalk and QQ. I don't get how stepping up with coordination in a team based game sounds like begging to you? It makes you good guy with poo poo together.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Rirse posted:

This, and also okami Hanzo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

*Dry coughing into high-gain mic feed* waga teki wo kurae *howwwwwlllll*

I think there's some placebo poo poo going on with the Okami skin because everyone expects the default callout and not the Okami one, which doesn't make any drat sense. Everyone uses that fucker as soon as they get it and you might as well just listen for the noisy coughing sound if you aren't just going off the last few words of the callout which sound almost identical anyway.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

SectumSempra posted:

I think the game needs more characters before they go for nerfs.

I can't see how 50 shields for symmetra was broken. I mean then again even dva explosion was nerfed from stuff I've read. And i can't think of a map open enough that this was a thing. on top of it, this like a lot of things has a few hard counters.

Shields don't restore fast enough for someone to be invincible with 50 more shield. 25 only makes a difference in that some characters can't be shot in the body and die, (but theyre nerfing those characters anyway so?)

Seagull said something about it on his latest stream - something about how competitive teams were running really cheese-y 4 support + genji + tracer or something similar and destroying. I didn't really catch all of it: something about adding shields to your two dps made them too hard to kill esp. in combination with discord orbs being thrown across the horizon or what not. In the meantime, the supports would be chilling on the payload and then just leave if they were attacked and could use the teleporters to get back forward easily.

So, I suppose that's why both Symmetra and Zenyatta were nerfed.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I had this really cool concept for an offense-based support hero in my head, but I just realized it basically boils down to "Reaper, but the souls heal teammates."

Still could be a cool angle.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

I had this really cool concept for an offense-based support hero in my head, but I just realized it basically boils down to "Reaper, but the souls heal teammates."

Still could be a cool angle.

If they add a third character, those souls better be real world items that mercy reaper and your hypothetical fight over. I really want a mass grave to be a pacman maze.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Tonight's matchmaking was really weird in that the majority of my games were mismatched groupings. I had 6 solo versus 2+2+2, 3+3, 4+2, and multiple 3- and 4-man groups with solos to fill them out. Up until now, all of my comp games have been equally grouped on both sides. The really weird thing was that my 6 solos won almost every one of those games.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

wit posted:

Its just basic social interaction people are not used to and stops them defaulting to running off like its a team death match. That's normally what happens when you're in a team of 6 players who won't talk to each other except to smacktalk and QQ. I don't get how stepping up with coordination in a team based game sounds like begging to you? It makes you good guy with poo poo together.

It's definitely something you have to make a concerted effort to do. Sometimes it's easy when your team is naturally cooperative and knowledgeable about the game, and their skills in it, but otherwise any deficiency has to be identified and politely corrected by you or your stack, and it's a little more relaxing and less taxing to be able to just rely on your teammates from the outset. But it's worth it; it's a skill that will get you many win %.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

It's definitely something you have to make a concerted effort to do. Sometimes it's easy when your team is naturally cooperative and knowledgeable about the game, and their skills in it, but otherwise any deficiency has to be identified and politely corrected by you or your stack, and it's a little more relaxing and less taxing to be able to just rely on your teammates from the outset. But it's worth it; it's a skill that will get you many win %.

My big issue right now is that my mic and ear ports are hosed on my machine and the USB headset I ordered is utter trash that doesn't work at all. So almost all my communication is after the point. Makes me very congratulatory though. :)

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Katreus posted:

Seagull said something about it on his latest stream - something about how competitive teams were running really cheese-y 4 support + genji + tracer or something similar and destroying. I didn't really catch all of it: something about adding shields to your two dps made them too hard to kill esp. in combination with discord orbs being thrown across the horizon or what not. In the meantime, the supports would be chilling on the payload and then just leave if they were attacked and could use the teleporters to get back forward easily.

So, I suppose that's why both Symmetra and Zenyatta were nerfed.
Must be something beyond my understanding, or maybe it was too early.

Could her shields be stacked or something?
i know his orbs dont stack anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

FAUXTON posted:

*Dry coughing into high-gain mic feed* waga teki wo kurae *howwwwwlllll*

I think there's some placebo poo poo going on with the Okami skin because everyone expects the default callout and not the Okami one, which doesn't make any drat sense. Everyone uses that fucker as soon as they get it and you might as well just listen for the noisy coughing sound if you aren't just going off the last few words of the callout which sound almost identical anyway.

At some point, probably still, the start of the callout was/is more silent than the default one. Pay2win skins confirmed.

Also say what you will about genji but he makes for some fun moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-X43PyCaqA&t=9s