Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I don't know if I suck or I'm just getting put in with bad players or maybe both. Went from 48 to 46 rank. I'm trying to learn and figure out which hero to use in each situation but I might just be bad at games. =/

Edit: well I won one so not feeling as salty now.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Proposition Joe posted:

Well yeah, how many characters are we expecting them to add and what are the chances they're going to be adding more healers?

Well healing is so important in this game that if they don't add another healer then every good team is going to run Mercy/Lucio (or Lucio/Lucio or Mercy/Mercy) in the vast, vast majority of cases if they don't add another healer. Especially since so much healer utility is currently locked behind Lucio (aoe heals, speed boost), and I fully expect the next character to be a healer which addresses this. Also Zen needs buffed.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Competitive mode has made Quick Play a lot more fun for me now since I care so much about my precious lovely rank and QP has none of that. Want to just do a few rounds of McCree and try taking potshots at people regardless of team composition or situation? Sure, it's just quick play after all.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

piratepilates posted:

Competitive mode has made Quick Play a lot more fun for me now since I care so much about my precious lovely rank and QP has none of that. Want to just do a few rounds of McCree and try taking potshots at people regardless of team composition or situation? Sure, it's just quick play after all.

Dont be this guy. No one likes the guy who says this as an excuse for dragging down the other 5 dudes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Dont be this guy. No one likes the guy who says this as an excuse for dragging down the other 5 dudes.

Don't be this guy. No one likes the guy who says this as an excuse for :spergin: up the mode that was designed for doing live practice without worrying about tanking your rating.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

When I'm that guy, I've been getting 3-4 other dudes agreeing with me for the most part. I even found a Hanzo saying "if you want a healer, do it your own drat self." The urge to win tends to worm its way into what I pick, but if you let team comp totally influence your quick play games, you're never going to get better with Tracer or Genji, because you'll never get to pick them. I've got competitive for if I want people telling me who to pick.

This attitude may just come from me feeling obligated to be the healer in most games, though.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Why do i never get to play Dorado what the fuuuuuuck

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

redweird posted:

Why do i never get to play Dorado what the fuuuuuuck

I've never gotten Dorado or Hollywood in comp mode. Like 80% of my games in comp have been either Anubis or Ilios.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Regalingualius posted:

Don't be this guy. No one likes the guy who says this as an excuse for :spergin: up the mode that was designed for doing live practice without worrying about tanking your rating.

Theres having fun or practicing for competitive but using "its just qp" as an excuse to do something dumb all game and make your team lose is the worst selfish poo poo

Its exactly the same as saying its just norms in league when people ask why you are picking some dumb poo poo like adc leblanc. Not as bad cause you can leave in this game and join another but its still pretty bad.

"Why are you bastion on offense"
"Its just qp stfu fag"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think I have decided to stop letting other people play Lucio. I am the Lucio now.

I always let somebody else start because "maybe they're awesome!" but then check halfway through losing the second point that they've swapped off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Huxley posted:

I think I have decided to stop letting other people play Lucio. I am the Lucio now.

I always let somebody else start because "maybe they're awesome!" but then check halfway through losing the second point that they've swapped off.

This is why I always pick Reinhardt. The odds of someone else doing well as him are... not good in a comp match of six single-join players on-average.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Regalingualius posted:

You are wrong and bad.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Dumb post.

Of course a Sniper can be useful on attack.

I'm sure that's possible. I've never actually seen that happen but I'm sure it must happen

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Regalingualius posted:

Are you that guy that told me "shut up I don't see your skill rating here" after I said we don't need 3 Widows on Attacking Hollywood.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Macaluso posted:

I'm sure that's possible. I've never actually seen that happen but I'm sure it must happen

So, you've never played against a defending team which has a sniper, Torbjorn, or Bastion? That's really amazing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I try and play around my team composition most of the time but I play better and have more fun when I just say gently caress it and play what I want.

Also, I played Winston today and almost never saw either of the enemy team Reapers, lol. I have no idea where they were any of the times I was squishing the enemy team Widowmaker, Mercy or (mechless) D.Va

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Theres having fun or practicing for competitive but using "its just qp" as an excuse to do something dumb all game and make your team lose is the worst selfish poo poo

Its exactly the same as saying its just norms in league when people ask why you are picking some dumb poo poo like adc leblanc. Not as bad cause you can leave in this game and join another but its still pretty bad.

"Its just qp stfu fag"

Gosh not a McCree on attack, how awful.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

after rolling them on volskaya industries defense in competitive mode, the other team went all Torbjorns and stymied us completely. I love it, everything's fine

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Six Bastions on offense sounds kinda fun. I wonder if anyone's tried it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

"Its just qp stfu fag"

It's qp. play whatever you want. :snoop:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Verranicus posted:

You are wrong and bad.

So where should people who want to practice heroes that are hard to play well go?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is why I always pick Reinhardt. The odds of someone else doing well as him are... not good in a comp match of six single-join players on-average.

I am happy to do that with Rein. If I start him and one minute in I see we have a second, I just assume that guy is sick of me playing grabass and is stepping in to take over.

I'm OK with that. Let's go win us a loving CP, Reinhardt.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Grammaton posted:

Six Bastions on offense sounds kinda fun. I wonder if anyone's tried it.
Definitely on payload maps. Not certain anywhere else

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I was really surprised to see AnneMunition and I are the same rank (47). I thought she'd be up in the 70's.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If I see we have two widows and a hanzo I just say gently caress it and pick symmetra on O or something, I don't give a gently caress. I've literally never told anyone to switch characters besides when we're against a gimmick comp like 6 Genji and I suggest counters.

I have never played competitive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Huxley posted:

I am happy to do that with Rein. If I start him and one minute in I see we have a second, I just assume that guy is sick of me playing grabass and is stepping in to take over.

I'm OK with that. Let's go win us a loving CP, Reinhardt.

Oh I like playing Reinhardt so I'm happy to do it, it's just why I don't branch out to other Heroes much.

Also got an actual "legit" Play of the Game as him in a frantic Volskaya Industries match with good players last night; where I smashed their Roadhog into a wall, Fireshotted a Junkrat's riptire as it went past me towards my teammates, then caved in the skulls of three more of their Heroes while they were trying to back the gently caress away from the old german with a warhammer in their faces. I died doing it (last victim took me with them, but my teammates capitialized on it and capped the final CP :allears:.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Nihilarian posted:

Definitely on payload maps. Not certain anywhere else

I've seen two camp on the cart with a Reinhardt shielding from the front absolutely smash through a defense on Hollywood. I can only imagine what six would do.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I think most of my best games with Reinhardt have been ones where I didn't get a single kill. Reinhardt effectiveness should be measured entirely in Objective Time.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
My efforts to control my teammates' picks in QP go exactly as far as "____ would be nice here." Then if someone switches to what I asked for I thank them and we go on our merry way. If I'm not already playing an essential role I'll personally switch to whatever the team needs before I try to make anybody else do anything.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Grammaton posted:

I was really surprised to see AnneMunition and I are the same rank (47). I thought she'd be up in the 70's.

Uh really? Cause watching her stream, it's very clear that she's absolutely mediocre at the game (like you and me apparently). She's constantly mad at her team but she makes plenty of terrible decisions and is often just straight up outplayed.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Too many people drop games and I've run into too many career Hanzo/Genji mains or people who otherwise don't care about team composition.

Combined with all the competitive mode bugs and other stupid poo poo (KOTH, sudden death) I've decided that Season 1 is a wash and joined the hoards of the dumbshit pubbies.

3 Widowmakers? Sure! Career Genji won't switch off? Join him! No support? Soldier it up!

Things are a lot less stressful when you disable match/team chat and voice chat and stop giving a poo poo.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I need advice on Rein if you folks wouldn't mind. I've recently learned to be really aggressive as him in pub matches due to the fact that everyone refuses to stand behind me anyway. I mostly try to provide disruption and play the objective as much as possible. I use my shield when targeted and fire strike is on cool down and only charge when I know I'm getting the kill or to bail for a health pack. When I have a competent team I don't have to do the latter often since we have a healer and people stick around me. Should I just switch off of Rein when my team is all flankers and the healer only follows them to die over and over?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

pointlessone posted:

I've seen two camp on the cart with a Reinhardt shielding from the front absolutely smash through a defense on Hollywood. I can only imagine what six would do.

As someone whose won against all bastions a few times now, the first time they get team wiped, they'll never get a chance to setup again until they do something else

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

JackDarko posted:

I need advice on Rein if you folks wouldn't mind. I've recently learned to be really aggressive as him in pub matches due to the fact that everyone refuses to stand behind me anyway. I mostly try to provide disruption and play the objective as much as possible. I use my shield when targeted and fire strike is on cool down and only charge when I know I'm getting the kill or to bail for a health pack. When I have a competent team I don't have to do the latter often since we have a healer and people stick around me. Should I just switch off of Rein when my team is all flankers and the healer only follows them to die over and over?

If your team is all flankers chances are the objective is going sorely uncontested. Put up your shield, get on the point, and if anyone gives you guff you hold up your shield and waste their time until one of your flankers does their job and shoots 'em in the back.

It's kind of a misconception that Reinhardt is only, or even most, effective with his whole team clumped up behind him. His shield is a big, glowing target that can draw enemy fire to anywhere, exactly like a tank is supposed to. If your team is all flankers, they'll want their targets to be distracted so they can get the drop.

Something I like to do when attacking as Reinhardt is use my charge to get behind the enemy line and onto the objective, forcing the enemy to turn around and deal with me. While they fruitlessly shoot at my shield, my team swarms in behind their broken line and suddenly we're the ones in control. I've turned the tide of many a battle without causing a single point of damage.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Papercut posted:

Uh really? Cause watching her stream, it's very clear that she's absolutely mediocre at the game (like you and me apparently). She's constantly mad at her team but she makes plenty of terrible decisions and is often just straight up outplayed.

She plays a LOT more than I do so I just assumed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Grammaton posted:

Yeah, no way in hell she's up there with Seagull or Surefour or any pro player. Her ranking is pretty spot from what I've seen in a handful of her streams. She gets super salty really fast though, and likes to smash her mouse when she's not doing good, so I don't watch her anymore lol.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I hope they come out with a server browser so I can play ultra casual matches. I was very good with soldier in TF2 so I took naturally to Pharah and my rating shot up. Now I always quickplay with really good players and I can't practice with heroes I'm terrible with like Hanzo or Symetra without blowing the match for my team and having everyone yell at me.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Doctor Meat posted:

I hope they come out with a server browser so I can play ultra casual matches. I was very good with soldier in TF2 so I took naturally to Pharah and my rating shot up. Now I always quickplay with really good players and I can't practice with heroes I'm terrible with like Hanzo or Symetra without blowing the match for my team and having everyone yell at me.

That's what the brawls are for.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If you main a character you should be ashamed. I'll always play what I think the team needs, but most of the time what the team needs is for me to kill people. The one exception was this dude I saw who had 45 hours on Reinhart and was a really good Reinhart.

Anyway, I don't think you even get close to your capabilities without trying out a bunch of different characters on different maps both attack and defense. Like, if someone instalocks Widow on Kings Row attack I won't be mad because that is a good play: Widow makes it a lot harder for defense to hold that first choke.

However, if someone instalocks Genji they are almost guaranteed to be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this brawl reminds me a lot of the defense only brawl, by which I mean that it is garbage

is it really so hard to come up with a good idea for this