Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Am I the only person that has made enough characters to be so lazy as to just set my speed to 250 and not even bother doing the boots run? Its just an extra 5 min of walking and a few gold to get a resist spell/make a 1 s resist magic spell vs not doing that and opening the console. Its busy work in a way that getting the amulet of shadows isn't. At least that can be an annoying fight if you don't remember exactly where the invisible lady is.

I don't want to run that fast most of the time, and I think it's a fun gimmick. It helps that Morrowind is dense enough that if you walk for 5 minutes in any direction there's something to do. My main form of console cheating is just typing "COC [whatever city I want to be in]."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm happy to walk to the fast travel, but I just don't want to do it at a snails pace. We all have our pet peeves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm happy to walk to the fast travel, but I just don't want to do it at a snails pace. We all have our pet peeves.

I do think it's interesting what some people think is cheating and some don't. It's been awhile since I've actually played Morrowind, but I do remember my mod list always included higher weight limits, faster walking (though not to the extant you're talking), running without fatigue loss, and some type of magicka regeneration if I was planning on playing a mage. And then my first step would be to abuse mechanics for an hour to pump stats and gain gold, but the idea of just using the console to get there seems completely abhorrent to me and I couldn't tell you why.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I get that, I do, its the same reason I won't do it on any character that makes any real use of the speed skill outside of walk and run speed.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Using jump spells for short/medium distance travel is way more fun though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I don't want to run that fast most of the time, and I think it's a fun gimmick. It helps that Morrowind is dense enough that if you walk for 5 minutes in any direction there's something to do. My main form of console cheating is just typing "COC [whatever city I want to be in]."
every time I play Morrowind I say I'm not gonna use COC but that generally lasts about five hours.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Am I the only person that has made enough characters to be so lazy as to just set my speed to 250 and not even bother doing the boots run? Its just an extra 5 min of walking and a few gold to get a resist spell/make a 1 s resist magic spell vs not doing that and opening the console. Its busy work in a way that getting the amulet of shadows isn't. At least that can be an annoying fight if you don't remember exactly where the invisible lady is.

Nope, I usually set mine to 100 or something. For a long time I used one of those mods that increase the base speed, but they increase everyone's speed (NPCs etc), not just you, and it looks silly when NPCs are zipping around towns doing their random walking around stuff.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've stopped using the Boots of Blinding Speed because it just feels a little too ridiculous and unearned to being flying around like that. I just train athletics and try to have decent base speed. The game is easy enough anyways that I can afford to gimp myself a bit to run at an acceptable speed.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Anyone have a copy of Modern Vanilla Terrain Textures (OpenMW)?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Berke Negri posted:

If you do all of BTB's stuff it will make the game a lot more tedious since they're basically designed in mind for players who already know how to break the game within an hour of starting up, not to make it a "better" game really.

I browsed through BTB's whole changelog, frowned, and took just the races and birthsigns module. It makes them more fun and balanced without playing into spergy mechanics. Why that module is appropriate for everyone and the others are tailored for grognards is a mystery to me.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

every time I play Morrowind I say I'm not gonna use COC but that generally lasts about five hours.

Jesus I feel bad if I use multimark so I can set one at my house and one where I left off. I take back all my bad feelings about setting my move speed to a reasonable level.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Since I started modding, and had to learn all the console codes for testing, I look back and shake my head at the days when I used to shove my character in a corner with caps-lock on and leave the computer for an hour to train speed and poo poo. Now, I have to make either a no-console rule for actually playing or pretend my mage is already a high-level member of the Psyjiic Order with the ability to manipulate CHIM.

Then I made a bare-bones chargen mod that lets me pre-build my characters in the CS. That way the temptation to open the console for anything other than typing RA or FIXME is minimized right from the start because my speed is already set to a reasonable pace and my character isn't 100% fresh off the boat and sucking at everything. I didn't even powergame my last run through, just played as originally intended levelling naturally as I used my regular skills--that was a serious accomplishment for me, because drat it's hard not to get stat-focuses every time you hit the level up screen.

I'm going to try this mod next game to see if I can remove that last temptation.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 7, 2016

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Its true, sometimes you're running around like an rear end in a top hat at a low level and you come into something that just isn't in your power to do, like that loving LICH IN THE DAGON FELL AREA. I knew I wasn't going to remember to come back at high level unless I did something insane like set a phone alarm for a month from now when I'd gotten the 4 hours of playtime needed to kill him, so I just TGMed because I wanted to see what was there. Its hard to not justify consoling once you've started. Also morrowind is great and awesome because I've been playing it forever and only found that lich in the last two years.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mizuti posted:

I browsed through BTB's whole changelog, frowned, and took just the races and birthsigns module. It makes them more fun and balanced without playing into spergy mechanics. Why that module is appropriate for everyone and the others are tailored for grognards is a mystery to me.

the alchemy one is okay too, it removes the ability to make fortify int potions (sticking with his theme here) but that's fine, if I'm making godpotions my run is usually over at that point.

spells is great in that it adds a ton of new spells and disables autocalculate for the rest which makes player and NPC spells stronger and cheaper but also makes NPCS able to fail spells.

But then it disables from enchanting and spellmaking: levitate, fortify spells, telekinesis, chamelon, drain health, and weakness to anything.

Equipment module is absolute antifun, has some decent balancing of glass armor, then nerfs every single artifact, but buffs generic magic items. Now everything is a wonderful shade of :geno: just like BTB intended! (also this is the one that disables creeper/mudcrab merchant)

Settings changes some spell effects and makes major skills level as fast as minor, minor skills level as fast as misc, and misc level not at all, making you rely on trainers! Thankfully there's an alt esp included that removes that. But it also nerfs the poo poo out of enchanting and makes it impossible to make constant effect enchantments. Elemental shields are stronger, magic projectile speed is quadrupled, and training cost was doubled. Homemade potion value set to ZERO (what the gently caress is wrong with you dude).

last but not least

quote:

Lastly, I've also added some new guards to a handful of places I thought needed them, either because an expensive item was too easy to steal, or a shopkeeper with an expensive item was too easy to murder so that you could steal his/her expensive item(s)

but don't forget BTB's trademark wit

quote:

Just as the "Spells" plugin put the clamp on everything that could be abused like a redheaded stepchild and then did everything in its power to make everything left over not suck like a Brazilian prostitute on shore leave,
and overall wrongness

quote:

The enchant system as a whole gets what is easily the most drastic of all the overhauls made by my mod. It's no secret that even the developers thought that the skill was unbalanced beyond repair, hence its removal in Oblivion.

tl;dr: use character and alchemy only, the rest are hot dumpster fires of antifun

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Installed Open MW and am doing a complete vanilla run. Aside from official expansions/plugins I'm doing it 2002 style and this game still rocks my world. I still feel like a virgin stepping off the boat every loving time. I do kinda wish openmw was able to replicate the vanilla water shader.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

chaosapiant posted:

Installed Open MW and am doing a complete vanilla run. Aside from official expansions/plugins I'm doing it 2002 style and this game still rocks my world. I still feel like a virgin stepping off the boat every loving time. I do kinda wish openmw was able to replicate the vanilla water shader.

Did you turn the water shader on in the in-game menu under Video -> Water tab? Looks amazing to me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

calusari posted:

Did you turn the water shader on in the in-game menu under Video -> Water tab? Looks amazing to me.

It looks good, I just wanted the original shader for the pure vanilla 2002 experience I played in my P3 500.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a mod that lets me pins notes on the map? It'd be nice to be able to mark areas to come back to.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a mod that lets me pins notes on the map? It'd be nice to be able to mark areas to come back to.

Double click on the map and you can leave notes. I didn't discover this until like last year. :(

edit: I was looking around for more info and found this pretty good explanation. http://vegtabill.blogspot.de/2014/01/vegtabills-guide-to-map-notes-in-tes3.html?m=1

hannibal fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 9, 2016

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

hannibal posted:

Double click on the map and you can leave notes. I didn't discover this until like last year. :(

edit: I was looking around for more info and found this pretty good explanation. http://vegtabill.blogspot.de/2014/01/vegtabills-guide-to-map-notes-in-tes3.html?m=1

What no way

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

hannibal posted:

Whoa, that's really useful. I didn't know you could place notes on the over world map (albeit with some restrictions). The Morrowind UI is often criticised but I think this is an example of how strong its basic functions are. Minimal but modular.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The Morrowind UI is one of the best ones of any RPG game I've ever played. With a bit of QOL tweaking and modding in 2016, it becomes a really good UI.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

hannibal posted:

I keep forgetting this feature is in the game, and when I do, I always forget how to activate it. It's really useful in those rare moments when I actually do.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gyshall posted:

The Morrowind UI is one of the best ones of any RPG game I've ever played. With a bit of QOL tweaking and modding in 2016, it becomes a really good UI.

Truth. And it is leagues better than the one included in Oblivion and Skyrim.

The alphabet spell-search function that comes with MCP is fantastic.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I like blowing peoples minds with the "click the corner of the pause screen box to have it display on the active screen", so you can have a corner minimap of any size.

People who play for years don't know about that and it's a gamechanger

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Gyshall posted:

It's good, and much better than most RPG UIs, but that's mostly because they are designed for controller + TV and thus poo poo by nature. I feel like there's still a ton of room for improvement from Morrowind but we'll probably never see it because consoles.

My favorite RPG UI is Deus Ex. The way you can use alt+underlined key to navigate the UI is fantastic. Obviously the UI for switching augs is pretty garbage (a combination of a wheel and some contexual combination inputs would probably be ideal there), and a more modern UI would probably have more right click functionality, but aside from that it's pretty amazing.

One thing I do wish Bethesda would adopt is a key ring. Having to actually pull out your keyring to unlock a door is IMO a big immersion thing, especially since like DX's usernames and passwords there's a certain degree of awareness regarding where something actually works rather than just hoovering up all the keys in the world and not necessarily even noticing what they do.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 10, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The main problem with Deus Ex/Morrowind style UI's is that they fill the screen and require the game be paused in order to be useful. I always found the System Shock 2 interface to hit a good middle ground, the game runs in real time with it open and everything is pushed to the sides of the screen so your view is not obscured.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SwissCM posted:

The main problem with Deus Ex/Morrowind style UI's is that they fill the screen and require the game be paused in order to be useful. I always found the System Shock 2 interface to hit a good middle ground, the game runs in real time with it open and everything is pushed to the sides of the screen so your view is not obscured.

Yeah where possible I prefer a Dead Space (1)/System Shock style of menu (ie. game continues running while in the menu), also reduces cheese so that you can't pause the game to chug potions/etc prior to taking damage.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SwissCM posted:

The immobile warrior is never fatigued. He cuts sleep holes in the middle of a battle to regain his strength.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

K8.0 posted:

It's good, and much better than most RPG UIs, but that's mostly because they are designed for controller + TV and thus poo poo by nature. I feel like there's still a ton of room for improvement from Morrowind but we'll probably never see it because consoles.

What's funny is that Morrowind's UI honestly works perfectly fine with a controller too. I first played Morrowind on the Xbox and never had a problem with it and still preferred it to that of Oblivion (which I also first played on a console). There's not much inherent to consoles or TVs which necessitates a lovely UI like the aborted disaster that is the Skyrim UI. lovely developers are to be blamed, not consoles.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The inventory UI in Morrowind is terrible. Forcing you to hover over icons to find out what a thing is is really inefficient when you're looking for a certain potion or anything else that you have a ton of.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

The inventory UI in Morrowind is terrible. Forcing you to hover over icons to find out what a thing is is really inefficient when you're looking for a certain potion or anything else that you have a ton of.

Counterpoint: Oblivion and Skyrim's UIs.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

But there you have a list of sortable text to go with the items.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

axolotl farmer posted:

Agreed. This is especially annoying when you're using alchemy as they inexplicably use a tiny window which only shows several ingredients at once.

I also hate Morrowind's map.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

It sounds like you just don't like grid-based inventories. I never really had this problem because I'm like an anti-horder in RPGs and always try to clear my inventory of anything at all unnecessary.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

axolotl farmer posted:

But there you have a list of sortable text to go with the items.

Counterpoint: Keys in Oblivion.

loving KEYS. IN. OBLIVION. Take up loving half my goddamn MENU.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

Counterpoint: Keys in Oblivion.

loving KEYS. IN. OBLIVION. Take up loving half my goddamn MENU.

At least you have a keyring mod to fix that. The UI in Morrowind seems to be unmoddable beyond cosmetics.

OpenMW will fix that, though.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

There is a keyring mod for Morrowind's but there was something wrong with it. I think it lost a key I needed. I forget the details.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've never had any issue with Fliggerty's keyring mod for what it's worth. If there's any faults they can probably be remedied via console/noclip anyway.

I will declare a fatwah on Bethesda if they release the next Elder Scrolls game on PC with a UI similar to the one in Oblivion/Skyrim. There's literally no loving excuse at this stage.

I found that the way spell-casting worked in Skyrim was definitely a step back from Oblivion too. Spell charging and assigning a spell to a certain hand seem cool but all they actually ended up doing was making the magic system clunkier than it already was without really providing any real tangible benefits over the old style of spell-casting, or at least any benefits that couldn't be incorporated with tweaks to the old system.

Morrowind with MCP Oblivion-Style casting feature is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They didn't seem to learn the lesson from Skyrim where the first mod everyone installs is SkyUI because it makes the game about 300% better to play. Fallout 4 is the same old poo poo.