Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Running out of AP in the Type 59 and losing a round because I couldn't pen a Ferdinand's rear end with HE is what made me switch everything to all AP all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I have ran out of ammo plenty of times in the Stug. Think it only has like 32 rounds or something? Stug Lyfe 4evr

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

The Hetzer with the howitzer only carries 20. I've only run out once though.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's weird, I seem to have a much better WR without a platoon than with one. Does platooning influence MM?

Maybe it's because I'm so chatty in a platoon and have better situational awareness solo.
MM will try and mirror platoons on both sides. So if you're in a 3-man platoon then the MM will try and get another 3-man platoon on the other team.

This means you have the potential to drag a platoon of good players against you. However, most platoons are bad so platooning even with average players will give your team a huge advantage most of the time.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Guys, I have a confession to make.

I...like the M12...I do well in it.

I enjoy punishing bad players with sky cancer, it's catharsis.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 5, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Blindeye posted:

Guys, I have a confession to make.

I...like the M12...I do well in it.

I enjoy punishing bad players with sky cancer, it's catharsis.

It is the curse of sky cancer, while most of the time its bad and a joyless slog, but when things go right on it, its a huge rush. Dunking some poor bastard or nailing a scout at full speed is the best.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

"so hey the WoWS guys sent us a zip with a bunch of their models. what the hell am i supposed to do with a bunch of ships?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IKWYqHLEjU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

It is the curse of sky cancer, while most of the time its bad and a joyless slog, but when things go right on it, its a huge rush. Dunking some poor bastard or nailing a scout at full speed is the best.

For me it's the heavy tankers/russian mediums sitting hull down, perfectly still, their side or rear end pointed toward me. I killed a full health type 59 with a direct hit/fire, and a cheeky M103 got hit for 1300 sitting completely still for 20 seconds, rear end hanging out for me. They played bad and deserved divine punishment.

Hitting a fast moving light tank is funny but I feel bad for them unless they were going in a straight line.

Good times.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Blindeye posted:

For me it's the heavy tankers/russian mediums sitting hull down, perfectly still, their side or rear end pointed toward me. I killed a full health type 59 with a direct hit/fire, and a cheeky M103 got hit for 1300 sitting completely still for 20 seconds, rear end hanging out for me. They played bad and deserved divine punishment.

Hitting a fast moving light tank is funny but I feel bad for them unless they were going in a straight line.

Good times.

I always did awful in the M12, but the first few games I played with the 40/43, I still had the M12 gun and did decently. Now I got the big gun, and my first game was 3750 damage including an 1500 damage ammo rack on a 50 120. It would have been over 4500, but a fully aimed shot on a JT's rear end from 100m away fell shot. It feels kind of like a pre-nerf S-51. Maybe a bit slower to aim, but I loved the S-51. Not as much as the 212, but I don't think anything is going to match the pre-nerf 212.

What I like about the big gun is that even if I have to take a frontal shot on a heavily armored target, I'm still probably doing around 5-700, rather than the 200 I would do before. It's really hard for an artillery piece to have much of a psychological effect. Bigger hits freak enemies out more, even if they come half as often.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Since this didn't get mentioned and I still have WoT youtube channel on subscribe, I figured I should share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_sK3FCmds

Wargaming going over their first feedback from sandbox. Haven't finished yet, but they used an artillery analogy. You first over shoot, then you undershoot, and now you know the target's exact distance, you nail it on the 3rd try. As an example, there is talk of the artillery stun. It worked, just too powerful, so that will get toned down a bit. Also, artillery splash radius increased. So artillery can go for clumps of tanks and damage a lot of tanks (small amount to each, but it adds up) or go for the single target. Also mentioning they are intentionally trying to slow the game down. Which I guess is why the alpha strike on tanks is going down and so has pen. So tanks are not getting alpha'd off the map at the start of the game unable to contribute unless they hid and let another person suicide out to do the job.

Edit: oh hey, here is a great line "We didn't really want to do it, but we realized we needed to change some of the maps.." Something about uneven vehicle distributions and super fast defeats.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 6, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

surprisingly, light tanks just couldn't find a place on ensk

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Prav posted:

surprisingly, light tanks just couldn't find a place on ensk

IMO that map is way to small for anything over tier 4. I have no idea why that map is permitted across the tier range.

Edit: Yes I do. Wargaming.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

gently caress Ensk forever.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rorac posted:

IMO that map is way to small for anything over tier 4. I have no idea why that map is permitted across the tier range.

Edit: Yes I do. Wargaming.

Ensk is fine for higher tiers if it's limited strictly to mediums and heavies. TDs either eat a poo poo ton of pubbies who wander one by one into their guns, or struggle to accomplish anything with all the corners, lights are useless on it, and arti either oneshot some poor bastard because they hit the lucky 7s on their RNG roll through the buildings, or do nothing because their shell hit a wall. If it's just heavies and mediums brawling, mediums can actually try flanking (!!!) and heavies can brawl around.

Also I like Widepark and think it should either be a low tier map (why keep the map in the game at all if it's limited to 4-6 and not actual low tiers?) or bring it up to high tiers and tell arti players to gently caress off.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Maybe it's just me, but I find the map a bit too claustrophobic for heavies. I prefer wide, open maps like Steppes. Ensk could probably be ok if it was expanded though. Hell, you could have two versions of it, a small version for low tiers and a large version where they add 100-150m to each edge. It would make the eastern half of the map more relevant for higher tier vehicles and give artillery a bit more options in terms of firing angles.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rorac posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I find the map a bit too claustrophobic for heavies. I prefer wide, open maps like Steppes. Ensk could probably be ok if it was expanded though. Hell, you could have two versions of it, a small version for low tiers and a large version where they add 100-150m to each edge. It would make the eastern half of the map more relevant for higher tier vehicles and give artillery a bit more options in terms of firing angles.

The mechanics of World of Tanks doesn't allow you to just expand the edges of Ensk without massively changing the map. If you expand the map, you're either just adding a bunch of useless area on the outside, in which case why bother, or you stand to make that 2/3 line cluster totally useless, because why would you seclude yourself there when you could just go somewhere that you can win? It's like that castle in the west on Redshire - totally worthless, but pubbies go there because they think "hey I can flank!" or "you can't just abandon a flank!" and then they go there, get completely locked down because the castle is worthless, and never actually contribute. Why have these areas on the map? They're just pubbie traps, and the pubbies are bad enough without the map designers trying to trick them into a useless area.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Haven't finished yet, but they used an artillery analogy. You first over shoot, then you undershoot, and now you know the target's exact distance, you nail it on the 3rd try.

So what's the equivalent of the heavy tank destroying the target in the 1.5 minutes it takes for those three shots to load?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So what's the equivalent of the heavy tank destroying the target in the 1.5 minutes it takes for those three shots to load?

You misunderstand - with arti, first you overshoot, then you undershoot, then you slam them for 500 damage. Unfortunately, they have 1900 HP, so now you need to reload again and - oh wait nope, that flank's gone because your first two shots whiff which means you were unable to support them, and the enemy arti got two full pens in a row. Welp next game.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I wouldn't mind Arty so much if they couldn't regularly pen you for 90% of your health all the god drat time. They could get a rof and accuracy buff for all I care as long as they only do damage that a regular, same tier, non-ISU tank could do.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
So I've taken the plunge and decided to get a Superpershing. While I enjoy the russian tanks, I really enjoy having good gun depression, and the Superpershing has both great gun depression and hilarious frontal armor. I'm already loving this tank.

What upgrades should I put on it? I've already purchased Rammer, of course, and I'll get vertical stabilizers once I have the credits. What should go in the 3rd slot? Gun laying drive? Vents? Spall liner? I'm not sure about gun laying drive, the thing already has pretty good aim that would only get better once I have vertical stabilizer, and I don't know if spall liner is actually worth it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

So I've taken the plunge and decided to get a Superpershing. While I enjoy the russian tanks, I really enjoy having good gun depression, and the Superpershing has both great gun depression and hilarious frontal armor. I'm already loving this tank.

What upgrades should I put on it? I've already purchased Rammer, of course, and I'll get vertical stabilizers once I have the credits. What should go in the 3rd slot? Gun laying drive? Vents? Spall liner? I'm not sure about gun laying drive, the thing already has pretty good aim that would only get better once I have vertical stabilizer, and I don't know if spall liner is actually worth it.

Optics or maybe vents for a small boost in performance.
GLD is really not worth it unless you are french or can't have Vstab.
Spall liner is never worth it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cardiac posted:

Optics or maybe vents for a small boost in performance.
GLD is really not worth it unless you are french or can't have Vstab.
Spall liner is never worth it.

It is on the KV 220 2 :colbert:

WyvernSlayer
Apr 22, 2009

Some Knucklehead

Michaellaneous posted:

It is on the KV 220 2 :colbert:

I found spall liners to be a waste of space on everything, with a notable exception: superheavy spall liners on high HP tanks with already good armor. Which at the end of the day includes novelty trash like the Maus and one or two tanks on the IS-4 line.

Even then, you're running a spall liner when you could be running vents instead.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

WyvernSlayer posted:

I found spall liners to be a waste of space on everything, with a notable exception: superheavy spall liners on high HP tanks with already good armor. Which at the end of the day includes novelty trash like the Maus and one or two tanks on the IS-4 line.

Even then, you're running a spall liner when you could be running vents instead.

Spall liner on the A-44 since being a battering ram is more useful than shooting its blunderbuss.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

The little tourney last night went south real fast. Plus I was sick so it I was even 'better' than usual!

Thanks for tagging along though, you two. Hopefully we run into more shitter teams the next time, or get better at the whole team action thing.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Playing as artillery on Abbey Encounter. Team splits into flanks and sets up. Enemy light tank runs straight to cap and parks up. No one goes. Immediately capped out. I don't even know how to express what I'm feeling right now.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Captain Blaargh posted:

The little tourney last night went south real fast. Plus I was sick so it I was even 'better' than usual!

Thanks for tagging along though, you two. Hopefully we run into more shitter teams the next time, or get better at the whole team action thing.

I was going to sign up but I'm away from home atm without an external monitor and playing on my laptop screen is painful.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Quirkk posted:

Playing as artillery on Abbey Encounter. Team splits into flanks and sets up. Enemy light tank runs straight to cap and parks up. No one goes. Immediately capped out. I don't even know how to express what I'm feeling right now.

There's an Abbey Encounter?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

WyvernSlayer posted:

What's the gimmick of superheavy spall liners on high-HP heavies?

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Hellsau posted:

There is. It's not very good.

WyvernSlayer
Apr 22, 2009

Some Knucklehead

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What's the gimmick of superheavy spall liners on high-HP heavies?

That's the only time where I found the damage reduction to be noticeable. Not irrelevant if you're a lumbering armor brick that gets clicked on a lot. Or on something like the KV-4, where ramming is a thing.

It's also really funny against terribads that switch to HE when they can't pen you.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Quirkk posted:

There is. It's not very good.

And now you know why most of us have Encounter (and especially Assault) disabled! :eng101:

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Atomizer posted:

And now you know why most of us have Encounter (and especially Assault) disabled! :eng101:

That's an option?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you don't have assault disabled you're essentially subhuman.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Quirkk posted:

That's an option?

:eng99:

Press Esc and look towards the right side of the first tab. See this screenshot for reference:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Quirkk posted:

That's an option?

Yeah, Assault was so bad at one point that it was more complained about than artillery. Old Prokhorovka Assault was basically unwinnable since the defending team started on the hill and the map was different such that they could sit in bushes, watch all three breaks in the rails and basically couldn't lose.

They should have just removed the game mode to help the matchmaker. I basically only played Assault when platooning with Exia and Primelaw, and even then I only turned it on because I knew how much Exia loves playing on Assault.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'm probably rehashing old complaints, but I've been seeing Widepark a lot lately and it seems completely biased to the south spawn. When you start south, it seems like all the options are good, while if you start from the north there are no good options. There's that hull down spot around F8, but other than that it seems like all the southern approach points have tons of cover and all the northern approach points leave you wide open.

Speaking of the alternative battle modes, I've been platooning with some goons that have them on and it seems like Sand River on the assault mode is extremely biased towards the defenders. I don't think I've ever seen the attackers win.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 6, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NotWearingPants posted:

I'm probably rehashing old complaints, but I've been seeing Widepark a lot lately and it seems completely biased to the south spawn. When you start south, it seems like all the options are good, while if you start from the north there are no good options. There's that hull down spot around F8, but other than that it seems like all the southern approach points have tons of cover and all the northern approach points leave you wide open.

Speaking of the alternative battle modes, I've been platooning with some goons that have them on and it seems like Sand River on the assault mode is extremely biased towards the defenders. I don't think I've ever seen the attackers win.

Widepark rewards aggression. If you and your platoon find where the enemy is weak and push there, the other team rolls over and dies. I like goi g 1 line, seeing if I can dump over, and if not just work the underpass until something opens up. It's just that south's camping spots an actually do stuff, and that loving northeast clump of buildings is a pubbie trap that never shoots anything until the game is over.

I've seen Sand River attacking side win, but only when we were in artillery and none of our teammates left clicked the spotted enemy tanks. Assault is an inherently unbalanced game mode. Either you give the attacking team a massive positioning advantage to overcome the fact that they lose after ten minutes, in which case an actual good team basically can't lose, or if the sides are balanced the pubbie masses will camp and snipe while attacking and doom their team. It doesn't help that Wargaming decided to give the defending team the massive positioning advantage on every Assault map ever.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

Yeah, Assault was so bad at one point that it was more complained about than artillery. Old Prokhorovka Assault was basically unwinnable since the defending team started on the hill and the map was different such that they could sit in bushes, watch all three breaks in the rails and basically couldn't lose.

They should have just removed the game mode to help the matchmaker. I basically only played Assault when platooning with Exia and Primelaw, and even then I only turned it on because I knew how much Exia loves playing on Assault.

My favorite part about Prokhorovka Assault was that it was removed in the first patch where disabling assault was an option. I think WG realized that everyone would disable assault. I disabled it anyway because gently caress assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

My favorite part about Prokhorovka Assault was that it was removed in the first patch where disabling assault was an option. I think WG realized that everyone would disable assault. I disabled it anyway because gently caress assault.

Yeah but they kept Malinovka Assault around forever, where the base was just under the hilltop and the defending team all spawned on top of the hill in one clump, while the attacking team spawned split up three ways in the field and at the regular mode spawns. That was laughably terrible design.