Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

This is incredibly stupid, but my pet peeve is ice in my drink. It takes up space (and I drink a ton of water and normally refill a bunch) and makes me have to slurp the water through the ice to get at it.

Maybe my pet peeve is water not already blistering cold to the point where it needs ice.

Agreed. I drink almost a gallon of water/tea a day and having to deal with ice is super annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The cool thing about ice is that's it's sort of a zero calorie snack

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Murphy Brownback posted:

My pet peeve is people who order no ice in their drink. I know you get maybe 5% more drink, but when you're paying like 99 cents for 40 oz of sugar liquid I find that kind of miserliness silly.

I drink very slowly, and I don't want my drink to end up watered down.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Murphy Brownback posted:

My pet peeve is people who order no ice in their drink. I know you get maybe 5% more drink, but when you're paying like 99 cents for 40 oz of sugar liquid I find that kind of miserliness silly.

Most places make the drink 95% ice and 5% actual drink so you end up drinking the whole thing in a few sips.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just don't like my drink to be too cold. If I wanted ice, I'd say I wanted ice. There is almost no situation where I want ice.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

I just don't like my drink to be too cold. If I wanted ice, I'd say I wanted ice. There is almost no situation where I want ice.

Yeah but you're Tiggum. Most people find soda to be most pleasant when it's cold. Room temperature soda is disgusting to me and many other people.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I agree with Tiggum. Soda comes out of the fountain cold enough as is. Even water is fine at tap temperature. Ice just takes up room, ruins my drink when it melts and hurts my teeth. Weirdly I can't drink tea without ice though.

My peeve is the bullshit I get for asking for no ice. I'm in Texas, I understand it's a weird order, but Jesus gently caress you'd think I killed a dog every time I ask for no ice.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Jul 3, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People not doing their research before writing a movie/song/etc. I'm specifically talking about the song "Drunk on a Plane", where the guy is in seat 7A. If you've been on a plane, basically every company out there has A be the window seat, C is the aisle. But in the music video http://www.vevo.com/watch/dierks-bentley/drunk-on-a-plane/USUV71400181 he's in the aisle. I know it's just because 7A sounds cooler than 7C song-wise but it still bothers me.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Oh no, my immersion in a lovely country song has been RUINED

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

Oh no, my immersion in a lovely country song has been RUINED

It's not about immersion, it's just about laziness. It wouldn't have changed the video much at all to put him on the window seat. It's just jarring when you hear seat xA and it's anything other than a window seat.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Noctone posted:

The cool thing about ice is that's it's sort of a zero calorie snack

Please be careful chewing on ice. Chewing on hard things like ice or plastic straws or other hard things may cause microfractures in your teeth, leading to weak teeth which may break. That's pretty painful and expensive, depending on where you live.

If you like chewing on stuff, try chewable stim toys! Granted they're more for autistic people, I think, but I don't think anyone's going to police you for buying something for yourself. The point of them is that they're softer than ice, and should be less likely to cause dental issues. Here's a site to buy some at, but you can probably look around for other places to buy at. http://www.stimtastic.co/stim-toys/?category=Chewable

You can probably stick it in the freezer if you like cold mouth textures. And yeah maybe you'd look kind of goofy, but I think that's preferable to your teeth cracking and breaking in your mouth. Sorry to be nosy but a lot of people may not be aware of this until woops, your mouth is pain!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's not about immersion, it's just about laziness. It wouldn't have changed the video much at all to put him on the window seat. It's just jarring when you hear seat xA and it's anything other than a window seat.

Lazy lyrics/rhymes in general annoy me. Danny Brown rhyming "So many numbers in my phone book, I could start a motherfucking phone book*." Ed Robertson from BNL with "throw your sticks and stones, throw your mobile phones." I have like a billion more examples but naturally I can't remember them now. Ed is a particularly bad offender but that's mainly because he's being compared directly to Steven Page who is a loving lyrical genius

*yes I know double rhymes are a stylistic choice, I still hate them

e: I'd never actually seen the original music video for Wind It Up before I linked it today, jesus christ Ed you are just the worst

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Jul 3, 2016

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In Joe Walsh's song "Life's Been Good", there's a part where he sings:

It's hard to handle this fortune and fame,
Everybody's so different, I haven't changed

That annoys me every time I hear it, because the second line would rhyme much better if it were "Everybody's so different, I'm still the same". FAME and SAME work much better than FAME and CHANGED

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really loving hate the fitness world or "community" and trying to just find basic information on workouts is a nightmare.

What the gently caress does any of this bullshit mean it's not even English

quote:

RETEST CF PDX Benchmark WOD 1:
A. No-Ft Rope Climb for speed, 2 attempts allowed.
B. Bench Press: in 10 min, find your 1RM.
C. Bench Press: amrap in 20 sec @ bwt
D. For total reps in 10 minutes:
10 rounds of “Cindy”, then
Row for max cals in the remaining time.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Mu Zeta posted:

I really loving hate the fitness world or "community" and trying to just find basic information on workouts is a nightmare.

Retest cystic fibrosis post-diagnosis benchmark work out day 1:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Crossfit is the Whose Line of fitness.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

This annoys me with Blizzard games, especially in their boring dry after-the-endgame modes.

"Yeah you need to use WHF with HDE rune as your PRM but unless you have a pair of Arfalo's, then you can settle for CKE as long as your EKF is at least 80."

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Brand new pet peeve: when you see people in Facebook's "people you may know" feature who you think you were Facebook friends with before, and you have to puzzle out if you're just remembering wrong and should add them, or if they de-friended you at some point.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nettles Coterie posted:

Brand new pet peeve: when you see people in Facebook's "people you may know" feature who you think you were Facebook friends with before, and you have to puzzle out if you're just remembering wrong and should add them, or if they de-friended you at some point.

My pet peeve with people you may know is that half the time it's like the dad of someone you never talk to anyway. You'd think their algorithm would usually bring up people you have a) many mutual friends with and b) those mutual friends include at least one person you frequently interact with.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

By contrast, if we have 70 mutual friends and are not friends on Facebook, that's because we aren't friends. I probably don't like that person, so quit trying to shove them down my throat, Facebook.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

Alternatively, some places now charge extra for no ice. Yeah the 5,000% markup becomes a 4,000% markup when your nickel's worth of syrup water isn't diluted with essentially free water, but some of your customers don't like ice. Yes I know you think it's a great secret how much of a profit driver your stupid drink machine is you are a capitalist mastermind here in this strip center turd restaurant.

It's always Mediterranean food places for some reason.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Nettles Coterie posted:

I'm pretty sure the algorithm is set up so it doesn't show people who have unfriended you but I could be wrong.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Nettles Coterie posted:

I just want to be able to get rid of that feature full stop. I can't even cross them out any more.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

walrusman posted:

By contrast, if we have 70 mutual friends and are not friends on Facebook, that's because we aren't friends. I probably don't like that person, so quit trying to shove them down my throat, Facebook.

Do you guys check the "you might be friends with" section so frequently that this is that annoying or have I got a setting activated where I don't have to see it unless I decide to?

When I happen to see it after denying a friend request from someone I've never heard of it looks like a mix of people I knew 15 years ago, family I never talk to, or friends of friends who I only see if we're hanging out with the same people. So yeah, mostly people I don't want to add, but it's not like Facebook forced me to look through them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Do you guys check the "you might be friends with" section so frequently that this is that annoying or have I got a setting activated where I don't have to see it unless I decide to?

When I happen to see it after denying a friend request from someone I've never heard of it looks like a mix of people I knew 15 years ago, family I never talk to, or friends of friends who I only see if we're hanging out with the same people. So yeah, mostly people I don't want to add, but it's not like Facebook forced me to look through them.

Yeah I've never paid much/any attention to it. If I were friends with these people they'd already be on my list. The only facebook "peeve" I have is everything about the Messenger phone app. It's poo poo and I often hit the "invite this user to messenger" button accidentally and have to say "no don't, it's poo poo". Probably a good 50-60% of the time I'm using it it crashes for no good reason or fails to notify me about a new message.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

It just pops up in between stories in my news feed.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Way, way too fuckin' often.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

Way, way too fuckin' often.

See also: the pull-down style of paper towel dispensers that always tear, giving you half a sheet at best and you have to push that stupid button a few times to force another sheet through. Also the motion sensor type of dispenser that has no manual override option for when it inevitably breaks. Pretty much every new type of paper towel dispenser (especially those drat dyson air blower ones) annoys me. The simple old version wasn't broken, stop trying to fix it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I HATE those new hand dryers, they are so ridiculously loud, I hate when people use them because I have ~sensitive~ ears and they hurt said ears.

Cat pet peeve: they somehow know it's near feeding time, so they harass me by standing in front of my computer screen. :catstare:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Murphy Brownback posted:

Yeah I've never paid much/any attention to it. If I were friends with these people they'd already be on my list. The only facebook "peeve" I have is everything about the Messenger phone app. It's poo poo and I often hit the "invite this user to messenger" button accidentally and have to say "no don't, it's poo poo". Probably a good 50-60% of the time I'm using it it crashes for no good reason or fails to notify me about a new message.

And randomly "Facebook calling" someone. Which I would never choose to do on purpose, yet have accidentally done and have been the receiver of accidental calls dozens of times.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Cat pet peeve: they somehow know it's near feeding time, so they harass me by standing in front of my computer screen. :catstare:

My cat has an automatic feeder that drops out pre-measured amounts at set times. So an hour or so before he's and meowing constantly while circling the bowl. Annoyingly, he learned if he smacks it in just the right way he can get a few pieces of food out, so that's not annoying at all.

And god help him when the clocks change and the food is an hour late by his internal clock.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Type "ride" into a Facebook mobile message. A link to Uber will pop up.

If I wanted to call an Uber I could open the app myself. I don't need your help, Facebook.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My only real Facebook peeve is that I wish I could turn off all app/game invitations forever rather than having to do it for each individual lovely game that pops up. I don't want any game invitations ever.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Nettles Coterie posted:

This reminds me of an old pet peeve: When Facebook would routinely suggest I re-add or poke deceased relatives and friends. :smith: The future is cruel and weird.

Other peeve: When coworkers try to gossip about other coworkers at me. Like, I appreciate that they trust me and all, but it makes me super uncomfortable to be hyper critical about someone I'm probably going to talk to within the next five minutes.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Alright, why in the gently caress do people in my very suburban, very residential neighborhood, in a city with strict leash laws, feel like it's ok to have their lovely little dogs in their front yard/driveway off the leash? I can't hardly walk my dog without some yappy little piece of poo poo coming to nip at my dog's heels and bark at us on our way past their driveway. I wouldn't care if these dogs were actually as well behaved as their owners think they are. Every single time the owner (if they're even actually present) acts completely surprised that their dogs is behaving like an rear end in a top hat.

If you want your dog off the leash go into your backyard! Everybody in this neighborhood has a fenced in back yard, use it! There is absolutely nothing of interest going on in our quiet little neighborhood that needs to be witnessed by these fuckers and their dogs. At least there wouldn't be if their dogs weren't assaulting every passerby. Luckily my dog (1 year old) is beginning to get used to this and doesn't freak out as much as he used to, but it's still annoying as all hell. It amazes me that there aren't tiny little dog corpses lining our streets, given the number of dogs running around without restraint.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
idk pal report them to the hoa or whomever the gently caress you suburbanites report to

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah you're probably right. Tonight was just dumb since I took my dog out after dark to try and get away from the heat and as we're passing this guy smoking at the end of his driveway all the sudden out of nowhere his pit bull bum rushes my dog. This was a little ways off our normal route, so this particular guy is not normally an issue and i have no problem with pits in general, it just got me thinking about the BS I have to deal with most mornings/afternoons on our normal route. This one guy notwithstanding it seems like 99% of people who just let their dogs run free are tiny-dog owners.

I guess part of the problem is that in the heat of the moment I just want to tell these people to keep their goddamn dogs on a tether, but I know I'm going to come across as a dick and that won't accomplish anything since it seems like people need only the tiniest excuse to pretend they're the victim. But then I get home and chill out and forget to go have a civil conversation with them.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Snoo posted:

Neighborly nightmares

I've been in various roles in property management for almost two decades, including an exhausting stint at a big-box company like the one that probably owns the complex you live in. I'm gonna pitch in my two cents here, because I think I can help you out.

I can tell you exactly how you can--100% guaranteed without a doubt--not have to hear your rear end in a top hat neighbor's obnoxious music for one more day. It doesn't involve breaking the law, or filing police reports, or otherwise interacting with (or hiding from) the authorities, and only requires minimal effort on the part of your property manager. As a bonus, if you're grumpy at the on-site manager, know that this one simple solution will cause him or her a bit of unanticipated trouble.

So, here's the solution:

Move.

Complaining to the cops repeatedly is silly. They hate coming out for (what they see as) minor noise complaints over and over and over. You described exactly what will continue happening yourself--they tell him to be quiet, he complies until they leave, then eventually they stop responding to your calls. So quit it. Unless he's rattling the foundations and all the other building's inhabitants are fleeing for their safety because the DJ just dropped the bass, all you're doing is annoying the police.

Complaining to the property manager is silly. He or she does not give a flying gently caress. You're on a lease, your rear end in a top hat neighbor is on a lease, and there's no way in hell a property manager is going to risk loving up the vacant/leased ratio because one person thinks the neighbor's music is too loud. That ratio keeps him or her employed and/or earns him or her bonuses. "I'll send a formal letter" really means "I will consider sending a form letter about loud activity coming from his apartment but I will 'forget' to follow through because doing that is less important than things like putting more paper in the copier and tweeting our most recent marketing brochure for the eightieth time today."

Complaining to the noisy neighbor is silly and potentially dangerous. Fucker already knows you can't do poo poo about the noise and he obviously loves knowing you're in agony while he prances around his apartment with Eiffel 65 turned up to eleven. No possible good will come from trying to confront him. Don't knock on his door, don't leave a passive-aggressive note, don't try to mend fences with baked goods--just leave him alone, for the safety of yourselves and your belongings.

Also don't even consider trying to sue him or the property manager. Whoever suggested that, I'm sorry, but great googly moogly it is horrible advice for so many reasons.

Pressing charges for assault is such monumentally terrible advice that I'm having trouble articulating exactly how bad an idea it is

And yes, there are fees/penalties/etc. for breaking a lease. I'm not suggesting you break it by vacating the unit without notice. That'll get you a bad landlord reference, and these days, might even put a mark on your credit report. Go read that lease--just about every big-box lease has clauses in it giving the tenant ways to get out of the obligation under certain circumstances. A common one is being forced to move due to work. Tell 'em you got promoted and your new office is 200+ miles away. That should be good enough for them, but if they want proof, it's not like firing up Microsoft Word and putting something on stock letterhead takes any time or effort.

I'm sorry that the only good way to win this one is to run, but unless the property manager is willing to move you to a different unit in the complex, it's your best bet.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
They don't tell you the loving politics in animal rescue. It's like being in Congress but with no pay.

Scene one: person A needs to get their foster kittens rehomed asap because they are being evicted. Mass email goes around and no one replies. Everyone is at max already. Three more emails go around until people take one each. New kittens all have ringworm. Most of the fosters don't. Cue 2.

Scene 2: ringworm spreads like wildfire. It's loving fungus like athlete's foot but to the point the main shelter here will not see or fix any animals that have it. Cue kittens who catch it later going into heat because the shelter won't fix them.

BUT this can be avoided if you get the kittens fixed elsewhere. But if they came from the shelter in the first place, they have to go back there because the spay is free. Elsewhere is a charge for the rescue. The shelter's hours are 8am to 5pm. Pickup of vet stuff at 5 sharp. So if you work a standard job, you are hosed.

Scene 3: people who are not informed the above take their kittens to the shelter only to be rejected. Others take to the backup vet and get yelled at for costing the shelter money.

Lastly the favoritism is insane. One lady had kittens starve to loving death in her house, but she was overworked and stressed, said the grapevine, and everyone was urged to forget it and move on and help her with all her household things. She was never taken off the foster list. Others who can't take a day off work are told to "make it work or stop whining." You make an appt to get the kittens fixed and then one comes down with something? Cancel the appt for the one, take the other 1 (or 5) in and then start over with the single kitten who might have just had a sneeze or needed his face cleaned or had runny poo poo from a new food. NOPE CANCEL START OVER.

There is one paid worker for the rescue. Everyone else is a volunteer. The paid worker will not help organize or even drop off animals to be fixed. She is "busy." Usually driving a few hours out of the city to pick up a litter of puppies to bring back for the rescue. She has other volunteers come and clean her house, take care of her litterboxes, and in general be live-in housekeepers.

The head of the rescue does not have a car. Well, she had one, but she sold it because the repairs were pricy, but now she needs a ride everywhere. Half her mass emails are asking for a ride. The other half is begging people to take more animals. Her Facebook posts are usually the latter, some of the former, and once a month or week begging someone to donate a van for the rescue because we super need one! Her latest stint is trying to get the rescue a reality show.

But mostly there is NO handbook. At all. There is no set rules and regulations that is passed out, emails about changes are sporadic, there is no main web page with an FAQ or anything like that. The adoption events are only in the afternoons and most of the people who run the events have never worked a customer service job so don't understand snapping at potential adopters or checking their phones is bad for business, so to speak.

Though there is the sometimes fun of someone dating another person in the rescue, and when they break up, the fallout is on par with that little blue dress of Bill Clinton's problem. You have not seen blowout until two crazy cat people are screaming at each other and chucking full bags of litter across the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Cowslips Warren, reading about your job, your friends, and occasionally family; have you ever considered faking your own death and moving far far away to start a new life? It couldn't be worse than what you seem to deal with on a daily basis now.

Just a thought.

I'm not trying to get on your case, but it seems to me you might considering applying goon rule number one and :sever: from your current life.