Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Perestroika posted:

TCC really is the best anti-drug program I've ever seen :allears:.

it's a special kind of harm reduction that only works on people with common sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

In a similar way that E/N is a great self-help tool because no matter how poo poo you feel at least your life isn't as bad as theirs.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Syd Midnight posted:

You forgot about the amnesia

Well, yeah.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Buff Skeleton posted:

That unsettles me more than driving behind a tanker truck full of anhydrous ammonia. At least the truck driver isn't on... you know what, let's just not think about it and pass as quickly as reasonably possible.

Yea he's totally sober. They're all sober. 2-10k lbs of steel and glass doing 70 mph, Idk what the big deal is, one sec lemme take a selfie fo

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Collateral Damage posted:

In a similar way that E/N is a great self-help tool because no matter how poo poo you feel at least your life isn't as bad as theirs.

I used to use the weekend web articles in a similar self-affirming way

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

it's a special kind of harm reduction that only works on people with common sense

TCC accomplishes a great deal of arm reduction

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

The most seriously terrifying 'recreational' substances (and I use the term recreational very loosely) are the deliriants. I'm phone posting at the moment so can't find a good link, but just google 'jimson weed'. The stories are literally nightmarish.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Firos posted:

The most seriously terrifying 'recreational' substances (and I use the term recreational very loosely) are the deliriants. I'm phone posting at the moment so can't find a good link, but just google 'jimson weed'. The stories are literally nightmarish.

I've seen super heavy doses of jimson weed change someone's personality. Years ago, a friend ate 2 full seed pods instead of the 2 seeds he was told to eat due to a misunderstanding. He had a 2 1/2 day ride that included having multiple hour long conversations with a pile of dishes, a coat rack and himself in a mirror. He went from being an incredibly aggressive person with a reputation for fighting people at the drop of a hat to a much more mellow person who would rather sit you down and talk it out than fight effectively overnight.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

The James-Town Weed (which resembles the Thorny Apple of Peru, and I take to be the plant so call'd) is supposed to be one of the greatest coolers in the world. This being an early plant, was gather'd very young for a boil'd salad, by some of the soldiers sent thither to quell the rebellion of Bacon (1676); and some of them ate plentifully of it, the effect of which was a very pleasant comedy, for they turned natural fools upon it for several days: one would blow up a feather in the air; another would dart straws at it with much fury; and another, stark naked, was sitting up in a corner like a monkey, grinning and making mows [grimaces] at them; a fourth would fondly kiss and paw his companions, and sneer in their faces with a countenance more antic than any in a Dutch droll.

In this frantic condition they were confined, lest they should, in their folly, destroy themselves — though it was observed that all their actions were full of innocence and good nature. Indeed, they were not very cleanly; for they would have wallowed in their own excrements, if they had not been prevented. A thousand such simple tricks they played, and after eleven days returned themselves again, not remembering anything that had passed.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Elmnt80 posted:

I've seen super heavy doses of jimson weed change someone's personality. Years ago, a friend ate 2 full seed pods instead of the 2 seeds he was told to eat due to a misunderstanding. He had a 2 1/2 day ride that included having multiple hour long conversations with a pile of dishes, a coat rack and himself in a mirror. He went from being an incredibly aggressive person with a reputation for fighting people at the drop of a hat to a much more mellow person who would rather sit you down and talk it out than fight effectively overnight.

Psychedelics have a way of doing that, though half the time you get the exact opposite and turn mellow people into psychotic assholes.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Loomer posted:

Psychedelics have a way of doing that, though half the time you get the exact opposite and turn mellow people into psychotic assholes.

can you just keep giving them massive doses until they're good

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Code Jockey posted:

can you just keep giving them massive doses until they're good

No. Eventually high doses of psychedelics reduce your cognitive capacities to mush.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Buff Skeleton posted:

:stare: Jesus loving christ. The way people so casually describe the ruination of their own lives really contrasts with what must have actually gone down. And to think these people are driving around too? Fuuuck.

That unsettles me more than driving behind a tanker truck full of anhydrous ammonia. At least the truck driver isn't on... you know what, let's just not think about it and pass as quickly as reasonably possible.

The problem with anxiolytics like phenazepam is that they make you incredibly relaxed about everything including being addicted to phenazepam, almost dying etc etc

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Loomer posted:

"Half the time" is massively hyperbolic and Datura is a deliriant, not a psychedelic. It's apparently really good at mimicking what it's like to have Alzheimer's/dementia. Benadryl is also a deliriant at high doses. Just don't do deliriants, ever.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I think the uh problem is getting high off things one really shouldn't screw around with. Also bwahahaha getting high off Benadryl. That's some desperate poo poo.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A friend's worried about crazy people getting their hands on the stuff to make VX nerve gas, making it, and then using it.

I'd like to assure her that there are safeguards but I don't know what they'd be or how to find the answer in a way that won't put me on a watch-list for life.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

If you do find reliable information, good luck getting those ingredients and handling them in a safe manner (I'll give you a hint, one of these ingredients is white phosphorus) Secondly, it's ingredients all react to form wonderfully poisonous things on their own, so good luck synthesizing it in your bathtub without killing yourself/your entire neighborhood - for example, one of the possible contaminants is sarin (the nerve gas), so uh, be careful with that. Finally, you need specialized equipment to spread it in a manner that would harm people, like specially designed artillery shells fired from a 155mm howitzer. And, if you spill this poo poo all of over your floor and don't die, the decomposition of VX from sunlight yields other, toxic nerve gases. Fun stuff.

Honestly, if you want to create deadly airborne toxic gas, you could make mustard gas with household chemicals. Your friend is worrying about things that really aren't all that dangerous in the grand scheme of things, unless, say for example, the government you're rebelling against decides to use it against you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OTOH crazy people did manage to make sarin and then (badly) disperse it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The Lone Badger posted:

Actually deploying gas is even harder than making it without loving up. Even storing it is going to be a pain in the arse.

It's far easier and far more destructive to simply blow some poo poo up, and even that doesn't happen nearly as often as it could.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, of all the things crazy people could easily brew up in a bathtub, VX is more or less off the table.

Be more worried about them making basic but destructive stuff like black powder. A pipe bomb is way easier to make than a nerve agent.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wanted to tease her that she was really afraid of Donald Trump supporters doing something like that. But everyone knows they'd go the ammonium nitrate bomb and illegally converted full-automatic assault rifles route.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

She's literally in more danger from anti-vaxxers or idiots on her commute.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Also, fun fact I just learned: Texas is currently in the lead for not one, not two, but three separate disasters involving way too much ammonium nitrate catching on fire. But China really took the cake with the Tianjin explosions - almost 800 tons of Ammonium nitrate caught fire and blew up.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
So all this RC talk and overdoses reminds me about my reading on pharmakenetics/pharmadynamics. For development of any drug of clinical use there is strong consideration for uptake, bioavailability, activity and rate of clearance among other things. Usually a slew of analogs are generated based off of a core concept and those that fit a 'sweet spot' of being active for the intended amount of time, but not too long live such that it cannot be cleared are allowed to carry on to future studies. There is a lot of weeding out early on in drug development as the costs associated with generating a clinically relevant drug are immense. The point is that these RCs that drugs users are trying these days often don't fall under the 'well scrutinized' category and are often molecules generated for the soul purposes of furthering biological studies. The whole JWH-# synthetic cannabinoids were synthesized to better probe and understand the endo-cannabinoid systems biologically. They were never intended for human use and were never tested in that regard nor were they selected for their clinical relevance(ie human use). That's what makes these RCs so dangerous - we have very little information on what effects, long or short term, they can have. Not all drugs are inherently 'bad,' but there are certainly poor candidates for useful or clinically relevant drugs.

If you ever want to go down a rabbit hole check out the various analogs of opiates that exist(a user mentioned a good number of them earlier). Some of the fentnyl analogs get insanely potent to the point that their use falls primarily with sedating large animals such as Rinos. Also this is worth reading as well: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/business/international/tasmania-big-supplier-to-drug-companies-faces-changes.html It touches on a bit of political history that is involved with the US's opioid production and where we source the raw ingredients from. Worth a read if your curious on commercial opioid production.

onemanlan has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Jul 6, 2016

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

This is only peripherally relevant but I just spent ten minutes looking for a Space Station 13 quote for another thread so damnit:

quote:

Captain Bravo posted:
The best Chemistry round was the round where Science was determined to have finally gone Too FarTM and the entire research wing was deleted and replaced with a band room.

quote:

Neddy Seagoon posted:
I'm trying to picture what could possibly qualify as this, and every time all I come up with is a smoking hole open to space in the station where Chemistry once was.

quote:

Captain Bravo posted:
I'll give you a hint, it was immediately after one of Cog's big chemistry updates, where he added in new stuff.

quote:

Coolguye posted:
I wish I could find the screencaps on the wiki of the time Pope went absolutely loving apeshit on Chemistry. He murdered all the Chemists, and deleted everything that could potentially be used to do chemistry, even in the kitchen. He sent announcements at each step in this process, getting more and more furious each time someone found some other way to do chemistry on the station. Dozens of people asked "what did the chemists do???" over and over again.

And the next CentCom announcement simply stated: 'THEY EXISTED.'

quote:

PopeCrunch posted:
I couldn't figure out how you goatfuckers STILL managed to be terrorists with potato chips and water. YOU FOUND A WAY. I had two coders on IRC combing through reactions trying to figure out exactly how you motherless fucks were managing to make potato chips and water into explosives, and they had no loving idea. It shouldn't have been possible. It couldn't have been possible. I fear for the safety of the world if the people who managed to find a way to do murders with mother loving potato chips and goddamned water ever get recruited by a real world terrorist organization. The headlines the next day will read something like WE'RE ALL hosed: SOME NERD KILLS 3/4 OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION WITH A USED BANDAID AND THE SQUEAKER FROM A DOG TOY. THIS SECURITY PHOTO SHOWS THE SUSPECT PURCHASING A STICK OF GUM. DOES HE WANT FRESH BREATH, OR IS HE FINISHING THE JOB? OUR ONLY CONSOLATION IS THAT WE WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE IT COMING. FILM AT 11 IF WE'RE LUCKY. OR UNLUCKY. gently caress IT. WHATEVER. -(AP)

edit to add: I would like to thank the Maker's Mark Distillery for providing me with the liquid courage to have made it through that terrible time

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

The Lone Badger posted:

Same group also made VX.

quote:

The Aum cult was aggressively involved in chemical and biological weapons production. Although, the extent of their success is not fully known to this date, the Staff found evidence that they successfully produced nerve agents such as Sarin, Tabun, Soman and VX, biological agents such as botulism and anthrax and controlled substances such as LSD.
[...]
As previously noted, the Aum also tried to develop other chemical weapons such as soman, tabun and VX. The Staff confirmed from official documents that the Aum produced VX on at least four separate occasions in the same facility used to poduce the Sarin compound. They were developed under the direction of Masami Tsuchiya for experimental purposes but full scale production never occurred.

There is credible evidence that the Aum did deploy small quantities of VX, one of the deadliest nerve agents known, on at least two occasions. Confessions from a number of Aum members implicate Tomomitsu Niimi, currently under arrest, for deploying this weapon on a number of enemies of the Aum. Japanese authorities have been quoted in the press as saying that Niimi has confessed to this crime.

The Staff confirmed from official documents that Niimi and others were involved in at least two attacks. They include the attack on Tadahiro Hamaguchi with VX on December 12, 1994, while he was walking on an Osaka street. Hamaguchi died ten days later on December 22nd. The police detected "mono-ethyl-methyl phosphoric acid", a by-product produced only from VX, in Hamaguchi's blood serum on July 22, 1995, confirming the presence of VX. In another incident, Niimi attacked Hiroyuki Nagaoka, 57, the head of the "Association of the Victims of Aum Shinrikyo" with VX gas in January, 1995. He fortunately survived but was in a coma for several weeks per a Staff conversation with his son. It was dispensed by spraying it from a hypodermic syringe into the face of the victim. Nagaoka's son told us that his father survived because his assailants missed his face.

The Japanese police believe that there may have been a third cident of VX deployment although they have not identified the victim or other circumstances in any detail. The Staff has learned from government sources that the incident involves an 83 year old Tokyo man who collapsed in his house in December, 1994 from what is alleged to have been an Aum sponsored VX attack. The man never reported the incident to the police or authorities.

From a Japanese government document the Staff has learned that after the Nagaoka incident, the Aum retained some excess VX. is material had not been found by the police in the initial series of raids. It is believed that this VX may be in the possession of one or more Aum members who were still at large at the time of the preparation of this Staff statement.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Talking about readily available booms I'm surprised more violence minded people don't take advantage of natural gas in the correct proportions in an enclosed space.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Enough gas to make boom is harder to conceal. Pretty much stuck to gas cylinders and you might as well carry a comical black ball with a fuse at that point.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

So you started me reading on VX, which is an insane scary organophosphate, and I came across the US's stockpiles and stances on it. One thing stuck out to me...

Wiki on VX posted:

In 1969, the US government canceled its chemical weapons programs, banned the production of VX in the US, and began the destruction of its stockpiles of agents by a variety of methods. Early disposal included the US Army's CHASE (Cut Holes And Sink 'Em) program, in which old ships were filled with chemical weapons stockpiles and then scuttled. CHASE 8 was conducted on June 15, 1967, in which the S.S. Cpl. Eric G. Gibson was filled with 7,380 VX rockets and scuttled in 7,200 feet (2,200 m) of water, off the coast of Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Which lead me to read up on the CHASE system a bit further...

Wiki on CHASE program posted:

Operation CHASE (an acronym for "Cut Holes And Sink 'Em") was a United States Department of Defense program for the disposal of unwanted munitions at sea from May 1964 until the early 1970s.[1][2] Munitions were loaded onto ships to be scuttled once they were at least 250 miles offshore.[3][4] While most of the sinkings involved conventional weapons, four of them involved chemical weapons.[3] The disposal site for the chemical weapons was a three-mile (five km) area of the Atlantic Ocean between the coast of the U.S. state of Florida and the Bahamas.[5] The CHASE program was preceded by the United States Army disposal of 8,000 tons of mustard and lewisite chemical warfare gas aboard the scuttled SS William C. Ralston in April 1958.[1][6] These ships were sunk by having Explosive Ordnance Demolition (EOD) teams open seacocks on the ship after they arrived at the disposal site.[1] The typical Liberty ship sank about three hours after the seacocks were opened.[1]

... wow. I guess when you're the US military you go about disposal however you drat well please. That's an means of chemical waste disposal for sure. Fill boat. Sink boat. Wash hands. What have other large war-faring nations dumped into the sea to hide or as waste?

Since the CHASE program disposals seem to deal with weapons and military tech, UGM-27 Polaris motors & nerve-agent containing rockets to name a few, I wonder if there has ever been an attempt by another nation to recover said tech. It's more than likely useless tech now, but back then perhaps...

Here are two noteworth dumps listed in the wiki( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_CHASE )

CHASE 2 posted:

Village was loaded with 7348 short tons of munitions at the Naval Weapons Station Earle and towed to a deep-water dump site on 17 September 1964.[1] There were three large and unexpected detonations five minutes after Village slipped beneath the surface.[1] An oil slick and some debris appeared on the surface.[1] The explosion registered on seismic equipment all over the world.[1] Inquiries were received regarding seismic activity off the east coast of the United States, and the Office of Naval Research and Advanced Research Projects Agency expressed interest in measuring the differences between seismic shocks and underwater explosive detonations to detect underwater nuclear detonations then banned by treaty.[1]

CHASE 10 posted:

CHASE 10 dumped 3,000 tons of United States Army nerve agent filled rockets encased in concrete vaults.[3] Public controversy delayed CHASE 10 disposal until August 1970. Public awareness of operation CHASE 10 was increased by mass media reporting following delivery of information from the Pentagon to the office of U.S. Representative Richard McCarthy in 1969.[5]

Perhaps some of the leviathans of the sea's abyss will have been of our own creation.

onemanlan has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Jul 6, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nerve agents are decidedly one of the more unstable toxic super death chemicals.
A few decades of time and pressure (and possibly maybe heat from hydrothermal vents) is more than enough to break down most things.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

I mean I guess if you've died after slamming a gram of black tar heroin, there is realistically no way you can get any worse I guess.

As opposed to dimethylmercury! Exposure is just the beginging of the wonderful funtimes you will begin to have! They used to use that poo poo to calibrate NMR machines. The only reason I can think of is lobbying from the dimethylmercury industry.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nerve agents are decidedly one of the more unstable toxic super death chemicals.
A few decades of time and pressure (and possibly maybe heat from hydrothermal vents) is more than enough to break down most things.
Even if those toxins are intact, the solution to pollution is dilution. Thousands of tons of nerve gas dumped into and mixed with billions of tons of water is pretty drat safe, all things considered.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

DemeaninDemon posted:

Enough gas to make boom is harder to conceal. Pretty much stuck to gas cylinders and you might as well carry a comical black ball with a fuse at that point.

China, of course. (Daily Mail, caveat lector.)

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

NLJP posted:

This is only peripherally relevant but I just spent ten minutes looking for a Space Station 13 quote for another thread so damnit:

loving chemists.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zopotantor posted:

There was a time when the West did it as well.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Zopotantor posted:

Reminds me of China's way of recycling electronics.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

darthbob88 posted:

Even if those toxins are intact, the solution to pollution is dilution. Thousands of tons of nerve gas dumped into and mixed with billions of tons of water is pretty drat safe, all things considered.
That's where sulfur mustard is a motherfucker. It is extremely stable and viscous, and fat soluble but not water soluble. Sinking shiploads of mustard in the ocean = little balls of hardened mustard mixed in with the rocks = fishers and beach goers picking up what looks like a pretty piece of amber and getting horribly burnt. The King of Gasses does not simply biodegrade. It awaits.

1964: A forklift shovels one-ton containers of mustard gas over the side of a barge somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean.

2010: Mustard gas injures crew of Massachusetts clam boat.

I guess that's that CHASE program?

While I don't know how difficult they are to make, there are even worse analogues like sesquimustard that are basically several molecules of mustard stuck together into Mustardzilla, a DNA-melting machine with toxicity similar to Taubin and other early nerve gasses. But man oh man what a miserable way to go. And if they do break down over time, they'll break down into... mustard gas haha wheee

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

They tried to out-do mustard with Lewisite, which isn't as effective because it hurts right away, and it breaks down into arsenic which is immortal and bioaccumulates. A factory in my town made Lewisite in 1918, and the Army Corps of Engineers is still monitoring the soil in the industrial area because someone occasionally hits paydirt, and its cheaper to go case-by-case than abandon the real estate. I've gone fishing in the little river that runs through it.

I did not eat the fish, which were horrible half-amphibian catfish that look you in the eye and hiss then try to crawl back into the water. It all dumps into Lake Erie next to the nuclear power plant so who cares, jesus.

It did lead to the discovery of British Anti-Lewisite, which I bet some chemists here know some cool stuff about.

chrisoya posted:

Actually deploying gas is even harder than making it without loving up. Even storing it is going to be a pain in the arse.
Sorta reminds me of the story of a French scientist during WW1, France had been filling artillery shells with prussic acid but it didn't seem to be killing Germans so a scientist got a hunch. He decided to do an experiment on himself without telling anyone because they'd have gone "WTF no"... he got into a gas chamber with all the different species of test animals and had his assistant slowly crank up the hydrogen cyanide. By the time the animals were all dead the scientist only felt a bit dizzy, because the toxicity of HCN gas to humans had been wildly overestimated and it turns out to be extremely difficult to deploy via artillery.

I mostly remember the story because the scientist took a loaded gun into the gas chamber with him so his assistant could say he was forced to participate in the experiment, otherwise it would have looked like he just murdered his boss. Which is pretty badass.

Unrelated: lol the nickname for Parathion in German is "Schwiegermuttergift" (gift for mother-in-law) because its such an effective murder weapon.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Syd Midnight posted:

Unrelated: lol the nickname for Parathion in German is "Schwiegermuttergift" (gift for mother-in-law) because its such an effective murder weapon.

:eng101: "Mother-in-law poison." Gift means "poison" in German; it's a false cognate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Syd Midnight posted:

Actually "mother-in-law poison", but yeah.

Reminds me of the old Tex Avery cartoon "House of Tomorrow" which had "a bathroom cabinet for each member of the family", where the mother in law's cabinet just had a bottle of poison.