Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lurdiak posted:

Modern reprints of the Larry Hama comics?

I read the 90s stuff already, I was wondering if any ofthe more modern comics were worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JoshTheStampede posted:

I read the 90s stuff already, I was wondering if any ofthe more modern comics were worth reading.

This just wrapped up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Transformers Vs GI Joe!

e: Is it just here, or, apart from the old Marvel $.99 stuff, have sale prices not switched on on that page?
ee: Ah. Code. Yup.
The Marvels for $.50 is pretty neat :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 1, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

Vs GI Joe!

e: Is it just here, or, apart from the old Marvel $.99 stuff, have sale prices not switched on on that page?

They haven't, for some reason. This sale is done via a coupon code rather than directly changing the price.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If I want to do a readthrough of Flash Thompson's Venom does anyone have a reading list?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazing Spider 574 (Not Venom specific but a must read for info on Flash, also a loving great issue in general)
Amazing Spider-Man 654 (Backup story), 654.1
Venom (2011) 1-42 (Don't forget 13.1-13.4 and 27.1)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those .whatever issues are the worst thing ever.2

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Maybe the continued Hama stuff? I feel like IDW's GI Joe books are kinda just... there, compared to a lot of their other licenced stuff. TMNT and Ghostbusters gets a bit of buzz, MLP and Jem as well, and Transformers is kind of the industry dark horse, but then it's like... huh, they're still making a GI Joe book?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm assembling a Bendis Avengers reading order and that means I'm gonna be reading through House of M/Civil War/Secret Invasion/Siege/Fear Itself/AvX/Age of Ultron and was wondering if anyone had reading lists for any or all these events. I know what happens in them, and most of these events I'll actually be rereading, so I'm mostly looking for "what's the tie-ins I should be reading because they're good, not because they make the story make more sense".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From the Batman reading you've been doing, I can in no way predict what you'll like, but is there any way you could break it off at Siege? I don't even think the Avengers books are worth following after Dark.

If you hadn't done them already, I'd definitely use the events to get into Brubaker's Captain America, Bendis and Hickman's Secret Warriors and Gillen's Journey Into Mystery above anything else.

You should add the 'Secret War' miniseries in there since it's followed up on in two issues of Mighty Avengers and the end of Secret Invasion, which then set up Secret Warriors.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 2, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I got Secret War on there.

And in contrast to the events themselves the Bendis stuff is more about reading a dude's arc in its totality, good bad and indifferent, over some like "best of all time" run. I know it's a mixed run at best and I'm more trying to see what this dude's whole plan was over "Yeah, you gotta read this run!" Also yeah, Gillen's Loki is my legit favorite character of all time so I've read everything he's ever been in.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Toxxupation posted:

I'm assembling a Bendis Avengers reading order and that means I'm gonna be reading through House of M/Civil War/Secret Invasion/Siege/Fear Itself/AvX/Age of Ultron and was wondering if anyone had reading lists for any or all these events. I know what happens in them, and most of these events I'll actually be rereading, so I'm mostly looking for "what's the tie-ins I should be reading because they're good, not because they make the story make more sense".

That first year or two of New Avengers is rough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

That first year or two of New Avengers is rough.

You mean the year or two that made Avengers one of the highest selling Marvel books after it'd lagged behind X-men and solo books for decades despite being about Marvel's most important team?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Lurdiak posted:

You mean the year or two that made Avengers one of the highest selling Marvel books after it'd lagged behind X-men and solo books for decades despite being about Marvel's most important team?

yeah I didn't like the breakout and savage land arcs. they took forever. and the art wasn't to my liking.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

yeah I didn't like the breakout and savage land arcs. they took forever. and the art wasn't to my liking.

You're weird.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Toxxupation posted:

I got Secret War on there.

And in contrast to the events themselves the Bendis stuff is more about reading a dude's arc in its totality, good bad and indifferent, over some like "best of all time" run. I know it's a mixed run at best and I'm more trying to see what this dude's whole plan was over "Yeah, you gotta read this run!" Also yeah, Gillen's Loki is my legit favorite character of all time so I've read everything he's ever been in.

The catch in this case is that Bendis' New Avengers is, IMO, pretty much really fun and good right up until the end of Siege which really, REALLY reads as an endpoint and then goes hard into mediocrity until it stops. If OSHC or Marvel Ultimate collections represent "complete" runs then it's pretty telling that the OSHCs for New Avengers stop after Dark Avengers/Siege.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Toxxupation posted:

There's one in the 2nd post which will take you up to the end of Siege/New Avengers.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

irlZaphod posted:

There's one in the 2nd post which will take you up to the end of Siege/New Avengers.

Thanks.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Okay, not read any superhero type comics since 2009 or so (with the exception of The Boys, which I really liked)

Any recent recommendations for someone who really liked Planetary, The Authority, Top 10, Powers and Nextwave?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Spuckuk posted:

Okay, not read any superhero type comics since 2009 or so (with the exception of The Boys, which I really liked)

Any recent recommendations for someone who really liked Planetary, The Authority, Top 10, Powers and Nextwave?

Dial H.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Injection (by Ellis), Manhattan Projects, Black Science, Low and East of West are all hard sci-fi Image comics you might like. DC's Midnighter series from last year was real good. Prez'll give you some good grim cartoony satire.

e: And read the current Vision.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 6, 2016

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

CHINA MEIVILLE DID A COMIC?

I'm a huge fan, thanks

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Teenage Fansub posted:

Injection (by Ellis), Manhattan Projects, Black Science, Low and East of West are all hard sci-fi Image comics you might like. DC's Midnighter series from last year was real good. Prez'll give you some good grim cartoony satire.

..I'm also a massive Warren Ellis fan, and haven't read these, so thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: And read the current Vision.
I wouldn't really call either Manhattan Projects or East of West hard SF.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I guess by that I meant, with a mean streak.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 6, 2016

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

If I wanted to start reading Preacher, where do I start?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Sociopastry posted:

If I wanted to start reading Preacher, where do I start?

Issue 1. :shrug:

They have collected the series into 9 volumes. Reading from volume 1 will get you reading the side stories in correct order.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Veg posted:

Issue 1. :shrug:

They have collected the series into 9 volumes. Reading from volume 1 will get you reading the side stories in correct order.

danke. I wasn't sure if it was like other comics where there's a recommended reading order

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you buy the trades/hardcovers/Absolutes, everything will be at a point where you should read it. There's one trade that's just the first few one-shots and the Saint of Killers mini, so that might take you out of the overall story, but otherwise just read the trades in order. Not sure how the hardcovers have them arranged nor where the Absolutes are intending to place them. I'd assume in vague publication order.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, I haven't been into comics in a while (one could argue, ever). I've kind of regained an interest in Marvel comics and want to get back into comics overall. I'm a much bigger fan of sillier comics. I don't like it when comics take themselves too, too serious. Like, a little serious is fine, but I really hate when it gets too real, you know? Things getting too serious is why I kind of stopped reading a long time ago.

To give a better idea of what I mean, I'm a fan of Atomic Robo by Brian Clevinger which is a good tone on "upper serious for me" while I'm also a fan for things like the Batman: The Brave and the Bold TV Series for "lower serious." I'm looking for stuff in the costume crusader kind of business with tones in the range of the prior examples with it preferable being from Marvel (but, I'm always open to good).

So, anyone know any series that fit that kind of "light hearted, action filled, silly, not grim or gritty" superhero series? If this is like a super broad question, I'm sorry: I got the general vibe that comics have gotten darker over the years so that's an assumption I'm working under.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Silly, fun Marvel? Patsy Walker aka Hellcat!, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Covok posted:

Hey, I haven't been into comics in a while (one could argue, ever). I've kind of regained an interest in Marvel comics and want to get back into comics overall. I'm a much bigger fan of sillier comics. I don't like it when comics take themselves too, too serious. Like, a little serious is fine, but I really hate when it gets too real, you know? Things getting too serious is why I kind of stopped reading a long time ago.

To give a better idea of what I mean, I'm a fan of Atomic Robo by Brian Clevinger which is a good tone on "upper serious for me" while I'm also a fan for things like the Batman: The Brave and the Bold TV Series for "lower serious." I'm looking for stuff in the costume crusader kind of business with tones in the range of the prior examples with it preferable being from Marvel (but, I'm always open to good).

So, anyone know any series that fit that kind of "light hearted, action filled, silly, not grim or gritty" superhero series? If this is like a super broad question, I'm sorry: I got the general vibe that comics have gotten darker over the years so that's an assumption I'm working under.

I'd say Spider-Man/Deadpool fits what you're describing the best to me.

Drax is pretty entertaining as well. Kind of like a DND campaign where the guy with the edgy berserker wants to go kill giant monsters but keeps getting roped into child saving quests.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Can someone explain to me why comic companies keep making these huge crossover events that seemingly everyone hates? I'm still pretty new to comics so I'm not sure if it's just a vocal minority that hates them or if they're really as hated as they seem

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Scent of Worf posted:

Can someone explain to me why comic companies keep making these huge crossover events that seemingly everyone hates? I'm still pretty new to comics so I'm not sure if it's just a vocal minority that hates them or if they're really as hated as they seem

They always, always sell better than ongoings because they "matter" more than a regular book. And the marketing tells you that it's the most important thing ever, so it's self-reinforcing. I'm of the opinion that they could stop doing events altogether if they stopped acting like only events matter, and that by saying a certain book is a big deal you're effectively telling people not to read other books because they don't matter, but I'm no marketing exec.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Scent of Worf posted:

it depends, some events are done seemingly purely for shock value, while others can range from fixing up continuity to simply shaking up the status quo. They're pretty much all primarily made to get people interested enough to see what's going on and hopefully pull in new readers.

There's obviously good and bad event comics, but I think most people complaining about them are generally just tired of how frequent they've become, rather than having an outright problem with the concept itself.

Oh, and also the tie-ins can be a bit of a pain.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

it depends, some events are done seemingly purely for shock value, while others can range from fixing up continuity to simply shaking up the status quo. They're pretty much all primarily made to get people interested enough to see what's going on and hopefully pull in new readers.

There's obviously good and bad event comics, but I think most people complaining about them are generally just tired of how frequent they've become, rather than having an outright problem with the concept itself.

Trying to read a long running ongoing from Marvel from the last couple decades is awful with all the crossovers, with only a few exceptions. Even great runs like Brubaker's cap has dumb stuff where you have to go off and read much worse comics if you want to get some kind of context for what's going on. I'm reading through some 70s marvel stuff right now and "as seen in XXXX" is stupid, but it's better than the way events are done now, where it's just kind of assumed you read the events and thus know what happened to Steve Rogers and why Bucky is suddenly Captain America.

Don't even bother trying to read anything X related, or anything by Hickman, it's not even crossovers, it's just "these are basically one book split into different titles". And that's not to say it's not worth it in some cases, it's just really awful to sort through.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Silly, fun Marvel? Patsy Walker aka Hellcat!, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck.

Well, a good search sold me on the first two for sure.

Roth posted:

I'd say Spider-Man/Deadpool fits what you're describing the best to me.

Drax is pretty entertaining as well. Kind of like a DND campaign where the guy with the edgy berserker wants to go kill giant monsters but keeps getting roped into child saving quests.

I loved the Deadpool movie and was super into the Spiderman TV series when I was 7. Any good jumping on points you know?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I am absolutely in love with Kamala Khan's series but fuuuuck Civil War 2. By the time the event's over, I'll have switched to trade-waiting on her. (Even though her Last Days arc for Secret Wars was pretty good).

I think the fallout from events is generally more worthwhile than watching series get bottlenecked to the sidelines of the main event. This is part of why I like DC's Rebirth: a one-issue event that leads to plenty of single-thread series (back-burner Watchmen subplot notwithstanding).

Valiant's events have easily been the most coherent and rewarding. Always well mapped out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Covok posted:

I loved the Deadpool movie and was super into the Spiderman TV series when I was 7. Any good jumping on points you know?

I haven't seen the Deadpool movie yet, but I'm guessing it would fill you in on the basics of the character? The current Spider-Man/Deadpool series by Joe Kelly doesn't really require you have any sort of in-depth understanding of the backstory, and it's definitely the one comedy-focused Marvel book I'm really liking so far. It's only six issues in so far, so there's not a whole lot to read to catch up, and the latest issue actually has a ton of gags about the recent Deadpool movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Roth posted:

I haven't seen the Deadpool movie yet, but I'm guessing it would fill you in on the basics of the character? The current Spider-Man/Deadpool series by Joe Kelly doesn't really require you have any sort of in-depth understanding of the backstory, and it's definitely the one comedy-focused Marvel book I'm really liking so far. It's only six issues in so far, so there's not a whole lot to read to catch up, and the latest issue actually has a ton of gags about the recent Deadpool movie.

Oh, you didn't mean it in a "these are good characters" sense, but in a "there is a series called Spider-Man/Deadpool and you should check it out."