Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jeesis posted:

Is this worth posting about? It looks like yet another single board computer with a arm chip. But this time they have a laptop. No idea why you would want a laptop with a arm chip though.

because luke kenneth casson leighton, the guy who's been pushing various incarnations of eoma-68 for years, literally suffers from brain problems. some of them cause him to fervently believe that tablet/laptop computers built to accept his pcmcia arm cards are a thing the whole world will love (and are also the solution to e-waste, repair, obsolescence, etc etc)

i've been following this trainwreck since it first started getting hyped on slashdot ages ago and it just keeps failing harder. lkcl suffers from heavy doses of narcissism and paranoia, so he's super convinced his pet idea is a work of genius and whenever something bad happens it's a nefarious plot against him.

i'm really not kidding about legit mental issues. as tempting as it is to point and laugh, if you really search on this guy you will find out that he got his start in public breakdowns on the samba project. there are mailing list archives out there with examples of him literally and seriously citing cia operations as the reason he got booted from samba, because his plan to clone and generalize windows style rpc in an open sores project was too dangerous to capitalism/microsoft so the man had to shut him down

(the truth, so far as i could tell from the same list archives, is that he was incredibly egotistical, couldn't code worth a drat, kept checking in broken poo poo, and did not take the resulting criticism well at all)

eoma-68 is his attempt to rise to the superstardom he was denied in his samba days. this time he owns the project so nobody can boot him out, but at the same time he's never going to cooperate long term with anyone who can show him up by being competent at anything

here's someone who tried to partner with him to build computers that would accept eoma-68 cards, it didn't end well: http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2014-June/009873.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

BobHoward posted:

because luke kenneth casson leighton, the guy who's been pushing various incarnations of eoma-68 for years, literally suffers from brain problems. some of them cause him to fervently believe that tablet/laptop computers built to accept his pcmcia arm cards are a thing the whole world will love (and are also the solution to e-waste, repair, obsolescence, etc etc)

i've been following this trainwreck since it first started getting hyped on slashdot ages ago and it just keeps failing harder. lkcl suffers from heavy doses of narcissism and paranoia, so he's super convinced his pet idea is a work of genius and whenever something bad happens it's a nefarious plot against him.

i'm really not kidding about legit mental issues. as tempting as it is to point and laugh, if you really search on this guy you will find out that he got his start in public breakdowns on the samba project. there are mailing list archives out there with examples of him literally and seriously citing cia operations as the reason he got booted from samba, because his plan to clone and generalize windows style rpc in an open sores project was too dangerous to capitalism/microsoft so the man had to shut him down

(the truth, so far as i could tell from the same list archives, is that he was incredibly egotistical, couldn't code worth a drat, kept checking in broken poo poo, and did not take the resulting criticism well at all)

eoma-68 is his attempt to rise to the superstardom he was denied in his samba days. this time he owns the project so nobody can boot him out, but at the same time he's never going to cooperate long term with anyone who can show him up by being competent at anything

here's someone who tried to partner with him to build computers that would accept eoma-68 cards, it didn't end well: http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2014-June/009873.html

This is amazing and I want to know more.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BobHoward posted:

i mean the eoma-68 concept for laptops etc would be great, if the things cost a whole lot less than they do now, which is never really going to happen

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
http://lg.io/2015/07/05/revised-and-much-faster-run-your-own-highend-cloud-gaming-service-on-ec2.html

lol if u don't just buy GPU time on EC2 for your gaming needs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well hp and microsoft are going for the eoma thing too, except instead of the card it uses your arm phone connected with usb-c v:shobon:v

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well hp and microsoft are going for the eoma thing too, except instead of the card it uses your arm phone connected with usb-c v:shobon:v

I would buy the heck outta something like that, ive wanted that functionality since my first palm pilot.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks

Soricidus posted:

maybe we should start using "rig" to refer to all computers instead of just manchild gamecomputers

my washing machine has a p sweet embedded rig, check out these blinking lights

poo poo, I fat-fingered the timer on my lian-lee microwave in the shape of a steam train and it's escaping!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

fishmech posted:

i mean the eoma-68 concept for laptops etc would be great, if the things cost a whole lot less than they do now, which is never really going to happen

it's actually a real bad idea, it swims upstream against the general trend towards integration, which is what has driven prices down, decreased power, improved reliability etc

it also makes the total price of a low end system higher, not lower. the only price argument to be made is if you want to upgrade your tablets CPU every year, but only a handful of turbonerds would do that and they probably want high performance so they're still not going to be interested in eoma. (two probs there, tech and political. the tech is that eoma was designed by lkcl who is a lovely software guy that self taught himself to be a lovely hardware guy, so it's not well designed to scale up. the political side is that lkcl doesn't ever try to use anything but the cheapest shittiest allwinner or rockchip socs because their creators will tell you anything you want to hear including that they are "open", lkcl likes to try to claim rms levels of open soresness so that's important to him)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BobHoward posted:

it's actually a real bad idea, it swims upstream against the general trend towards integration, which is what has driven prices down, decreased power, improved reliability etc

lol i dont mean to use it as your actual laptop, but as something to gently caress around with

the thing is "something you can just gently caress around with" requires it to be like $150 tops all in with a system card, and preferably less

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

audiophiles are at it again headphones that auto-tuneEQ to you.

1138% funded

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 7, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

aaah, gamer tilting mouse. So many GIFs.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

some peak projects this time, a :yayclod: keyboard

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:catdrugs: I like the behind TV lights, this is a v2 project that adds "pixels" . $260 for a 4k monitor.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MrMoo posted:

audiophiles are at it again headphones that auto-tune to you.

1138% funded

auto EQ not auto tune

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

if only for this GIF, turn any headphones into 3d magic, uses head tracking to adjust the sound to the direction of your head.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 7, 2016

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

MrMoo posted:

:catdrugs: I like the behind TV lights, this is a v2 project that adds "pixels" . $260 for a 4k monitor.

behind-tv lighting is cool and i wish there was like a $30 set for some lovely led strips that plug in via usb and work magically

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

another headphone amp, taking tips from Creative it appears.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MrMoo posted:

1138% funded

also $200 isn't audiophile nutjob territory, that's like bag of noise absorbing gravel money to them

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MrMoo posted:

1138% funded
these seem very reasonable and not especially funy

maybe there's some bit that i'm missing where it talks about platinum-shielded power cables or quantum-resonant crystals or whatever but all i'm seeing is a pair of high-end headphones with some novel features

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

MrMoo posted:

i gave up on making stupid arduino-based cpu %/unread email/weather bullshit because how is ANY of that poo poo more convenient than just having it on your freaking screen

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

like ok maybe in a hypothetical universe where you're not looking at your monitor 24/7. but that keyboard doesn't even work for that universe

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

earphones that plug into headphones, $240.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sham bam bamina! posted:

these seem very reasonable and not especially funy

maybe there's some bit that i'm missing where it talks about platinum-shielded power cables or quantum-resonant crystals or whatever but all i'm seeing is a pair of high-end headphones with some novel features

I'm not a fan of playing with EQ settings and I don't think non-audio people really care at all about it unless you want some base. I guess an audiophile would be tweaking away with their headphone amp and pre-amp instead.

Maybe this project is more suitable, still "only" $170 for aesthetically and acoustically stunning wireless wooden headphones, The Prelude

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 7, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Don't get over-exposed to electromagnetic waves : choose if you want Wi-Fi or not. $130 for a :tinfoil: WiFi router in a wood slice with a switch for the radio :france:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Another one for the :tinfoil: crew and Zuckerberg, webcam cover with physical "parental control" lock.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:laffo:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just chilling at the beach, wearing a tie with my wooden headphones and immaculately oiled pompadour

MrMoo posted:

Don't get over-exposed to electromagnetic waves : choose if you want Wi-Fi or not. $130 for a :tinfoil: WiFi router in a wood slice with a switch for the radio :france:

it looks sick

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MrMoo posted:

Wait, what's wrong with this? I mean, I'm not a mechkey fetishist, and I'm a dirty goddamn laptop keyboard user, but what's bad about programmable keys and changeable colored keys?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

post the most worthless kickstarters and greatest investor rewards you got

If it floats your boat, this thread is for good and bad. Anything :yayclod: based gets a worthy mention in the POS.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

also $200 isn't audiophile nutjob territory, that's like bag of noise absorbing gravel money to them

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/audiovideo.htm

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MrMoo posted:

I want to make one of those that has a dummy off switch then laugh at the dumb fucks who think it reduces their morgellons symptoms

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Another one for the :tinfoil: crew and Zuckerberg, webcam cover with physical "parental control" lock.

The parental control is a magnet. So what keeps our precious children safe from just using a magnet to open it? I'm pretty sure that kids who are old enough to want to webchat/can access and run a machine on their own can figure out magnets?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

moonshine is...... posted:

The parental control is a magnet. So what keeps our precious children safe from just using a magnet to open it? I'm pretty sure that kids who are old enough to want to webchat/can access and run a machine on their own can figure out magnets?

parental control stuff only sells to parents who were either stupid as children or have forgotten that children aren't stupid as children

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

parental control stuff only sells to parents who were either stupid as children or have forgotten that children aren't stupid as children

it's a lot easier to gently caress up publicly as a child now though

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Red Square Bear posted:

Wait, what's wrong with this? I mean, I'm not a mechkey fetishist, and I'm a dirty goddamn laptop keyboard user, but what's bad about programmable keys and changeable colored keys?

"let's take information off the part of the computer that is designed for displaying information, and put it onto the part of the computer that is designed to be covered by the user's hands and never looked at by anyone but novices"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

MrMoo posted:

1138% funded

the spicy lucas

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
a friend that's much less cynical about tech/startups actually wondered how these existing companies are allowed to utilize kickstarter to get money for new products lol

its basically almost free capital with pre sales; why bother investing revenue back into the company when you can get a bunch of nerds seasoned by video game presales to give you a low cost loan

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

the spicy lucas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's a lot easier to gently caress up publicly as a child now though