Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Section Z posted:

While things went poorly this time around, in my own painful experience trying to simply hop in and drive away with a jeep while already under enemy fire is a fast recipe for the AI developing a sudden knack for long distance headshots, or pushing it over the edge into burning riiiight as you start to get going so if you get out it will be an action dive and the burning jeep continues on with the prisoner.

Oh dang, that's right. On the mission with the strangely unperturbed driver, your death was because the jeep blew up! I didn't realize they were so fragile, but it makes sense now why you avoid them. My bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I tend to avoid jeeps because they explode fairly easily, and I avoid tanks and other vehicles because DD can't get inside :v: We'll see plenty once I get +Cargo 2 though

Let's Play MGSV Phantom Pain Episode 7 - Sharaahshakshaskahka

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I basically got a shot out at the very start of the episode! Thanks Dan! (If you get blamed for Graces stuff, you might as well get some undue praise.)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Also that was the dumbest loving explanation I ever heard. And nobody would call it "sharashka" everyone would call it "sharaga" (the difference is that the latter is cruder and ruder)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I would believe that a base full of mostly-guy soldiers would have a Barbeque Strut.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh jeez... Strongbow Cider... I'm triggered.

Grace! How can you drink that swill! It's the worst cider! :tizzy:

Edit: Serious answer for why Eva isn't in this game - Her and the real Snake are off loving like bunnies for probably a solid year or two. :v:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 1, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I crutched so hard on the sonar arm for corner checks, but it also let me use D-Horse way more often without missing D-Dog's spot check. Or having to worry about Quiet always failing to spot some person or tank completely out in the open :argh:

Unrelated wishlist. Alongside main game co-op, I wish so hard you could carry two sidearms.

I can carry 19 trillion thrown and planted explosives. Let me carry a spare handgun, or even put a handgun in my back weapon slot. Jesus Christ.

Also holy poo poo Dan. I would not have had the balls to fight the bear with anything less but the most bullshit possible while wearing battle dress.

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh dang, that's right. On the mission with the strangely unperturbed driver, your death was because the jeep blew up! I didn't realize they were so fragile, but it makes sense now why you avoid them. My bad!

Nothing to feel bad about. It DOES sound like a good idea, because it seems like common sense. But VIDEO GAMES logic.

I still use jeeps plenty when it comes to prisoners or other extraction targets. But I've mostly used them as a babysitting service to park safely out of the way, because prisoners won't leave, and unconscious enemies won't wake up.

Mostly when completing the main objective of "Extract/kill dude" puts an extraction zone border between you and side objectives, but putting it off makes things much harder :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 1, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Section Z posted:

I crutched so hard on the sonar arm for corner checks, but it also let me use D-Horse way more often without missing D-Dog's spot check. Or having to worry about Quiet always failing to spot some person or tank completely out in the open :argh:

Unrelated wishlist. Alongside main game co-op, I wish so hard you could carry two sidearms.

I can carry 19 trillion thrown and planted explosives. Let me carry a spare handgun, or even put a handgun in my back weapon slot. Jesus Christ.

I feel the same way, the only reason I haven't been showing off the Tornado is because I wouldn't have a silent option to hire people. :( We do find the legendary gunsmith in this session, so I can pop a silencer onto the stun shotgun next time we play.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Danaru posted:

I feel the same way, the only reason I haven't been showing off the Tornado is because I wouldn't have a silent option to hire people. :( We do find the legendary gunsmith in this session, so I can pop a silencer onto the stun shotgun next time we play.

Due to the need for a scope for everything what with helmets having bullshit hitboxes if you shoot from anywhere but the front, and the game's hatred for the idea of putting a silencer on the nonlethal assault rifle, I tend to end up using the Hip slot for either a very cheap suppressed AR with scope I use to get kill KO'd people too weak to recruit or shoot out lights with, or I pack a stun shotgun as a loud nonlethal option. It helps that the stun shotgun and stun revolver are the only things that can KO dudes in full body armor besides CQC/sleep gas/fist weapons, and that a knockdown interrupts an attempted combat alert. The Back slot has the tranq rifle which is infinitely more useful, to the point where sometimes I make it my only nonlethal weapon once I've unlocked the medium suppressor.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The entire series in two lines.

Let's Play MGSV Phantom Pain Episode 8 - The Great Escape

"I'll show you what a piece of poo poo this is" --Dan, slightly before obliterating the base with a Walker Gear

Also Madnar is Russian, it was Kio Marv who's Czech. I know one of you fuckers was coming in to correct me

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

While I sympathize with Grace's frustrations with the plot (there really is none so far beyond us just getting refitted and getting revenge), I do get that it's like this because of the game's turbulent development and because it's an open world game. It's kinda like Far Cry 3, halfway through you're just like..."the gently caress am I even doing here??"

Sure is a lotta Google Translate in here

"All patrols are fine"

"I saw a dog today"
"Was it cute?"
"yeah"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

Sure is a lotta Google Translate in here

"I saw a dog today"
"Was it cute?"
"yeah"

I've had this exact conversation before :colbert:

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
You know, Dan, you're right. You are a perfect angel.
Grace, ur a butt. I still like you tho :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Danaru posted:

I've had this exact conversation before :colbert:

Sure, but that's cause I localized the translation. Faithfully, it goes

"I saw a dog today"
"Was it a cute experience?"
"Yes"

The first panel is similarly stilted.

VV Fair enough :v:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 2, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

Sure, but that's cause I localized the translation. Faithfully, it goes

"I saw a dog today"
"Was it a cute experience?"
"Yes"

The first panel is similarly stilted.

I've had that exact conversation too :smugbert:

I'm kidding, but also I'm happy that seeing a dog was experienced by someone. Also woah bonus spoiler guess who grows up next episode y'all better believe it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I kept kidnapping boasters anyways due to how often it turned out they really were an S rank :v:

Anyways, the second worst part about that mission is all the parked land vehicles you are not allowed to steal. Because I guess putting a boot on them somehow surpases loving wormholes :sigh:

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
I love that using the bionic arm uses that sound effect from The Million Dollar Man. Also i might just be crazy but is the dog on Boss's patch carbon fiber patterned in some of those cinematics?

Edit:Have you tried Argus Fermentables Cider? Its the bomb it's a dry tart cider if you can actually find it you should grab some.

Hrvstmn31 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 3, 2016

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
I'm glad I never bought PP because it just isn't grabbing me. Even with PW's mission based gameplay it still felt like you were progressing through the story/environments. The whole every main mission being an "episode" thing makes it feel really repetitive. Honestly the game just doesn't look very fun. Plus Kaz is a real downer now. I miss PW Kaz with his silly interjections :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It doesn't help that the game itself suffers from forced symbolism. Like say what you will about MGS2 and MGS3, they had Ideas they wanted to shove down your throat, but they managed to do so in a way that was compelling. MGS4 and MGS5 are symbolic but with no real substance to back it up with.
It also doesn't help that the plot of MGS5 is a foregone conclusion.
It also doesn't help that Snake gets so few lines.
It also doesn't help that most of the supporting characters aren't that interesting, except maybe Ocelot.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play MGSV Phantom Pain Episode 9 - Bark Bark

Here comes the best character!

Danaru fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 7, 2016

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Do you really have to fly to each part of your base to access them? For a game tooting the open world horn, that would be pretty silly if so. Was going to ask if/when you could ever play as one of your recruits but Dan's love for Big Boss is too strong.

And Grace... what? .hack//Sign had more going for it than just the killer soundtrack. MMO stuff was fresh as heck back in 2001/2002 when that series was beginning. And instead of being blandly action focused it had some decent drama and intrigue.

SSNeoman posted:

It doesn't help that the game itself suffers from forced symbolism. Like say what you will about MGS2 and MGS3, they had Ideas they wanted to shove down your throat, but they managed to do so in a way that was compelling. MGS4 and MGS5 are symbolic but with no real substance to back it up with.
It also doesn't help that the plot of MGS5 is a foregone conclusion.
It also doesn't help that Snake gets so few lines.
It also doesn't help that most of the supporting characters aren't that interesting, except maybe Ocelot.
Laying it all out like that, the games more of a bummer than I was thinking. Dressing up your cardboard box and sliding around in it show there's still some oldschool MGS love in there. Are there any other supporting characters aside from Miller and Ocelot? I guess there's Huey now, but ehh. Not expecting Quiet/Dog/Horse to start chattering away during missions.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

pick-e posted:

Do you really have to fly to each part of your base to access them? For a game tooting the open world horn, that would be pretty silly if so. Was going to ask if/when you could ever play as one of your recruits but Dan's love for Big Boss is too strong.

And Grace... what? .hack//Sign had more going for it than just the killer soundtrack. MMO stuff was fresh as heck back in 2001/2002 when that series was beginning. And instead of being blandly action focused it had some decent drama and intrigue.

I'm a guy who knows THE WHOLE STORY of .hack, Project and Conglomerate, and even I can sympathize with Dan. //SIGN is slow. Whether that's a plus or minus depends on who you are. I did legit appreciate the characters, especially how it ended with a very nonstandard couple. No not like that, you're thinking of Legend of Twi:commissar:
I did go :catstare: when Dan cracked that "SAO is better" joke. Especially since the far superior DATABASE DATABASE DATABASE MMO Show Log Horizon came out at about the same time. S1 only though :smith:

pick-e posted:

Laying it all out like that, the games more of a bummer than I was thinking. Dressing up your cardboard box and sliding around in it show there's still some oldschool MGS love in there. Are there any other supporting characters aside from Miller and Ocelot? I guess there's Huey now, but ehh. Not expecting Quiet/Dog/Horse to start chattering away during missions.

It is but honestly even when it was coming out it wasn't unexpected. Like there are games that work around these issues (Blood Dragon in particular comes to mind, you don't need plot or character depth, just add 80s goofiness and insanity)
Anytime you hear the words "troubled development" around open world games, expect disappointment. See Watch_Dogs for details.

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

pick-e posted:

The .hack saga was fantastic I never meant to imply the soundtrack was ALL it had going for it. The soundtrack was just the best part imo though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

pick-e posted:

Well, once they are unlocked you can drive jeeps across ramps, or delivery yourself via cardboard box (My preferred method).

There are a couple specific struts that are chopper access only, though. The petting zoo strut, and the Quarantine (Which doesn't even have a shower, no wonder everyone keeps getting sick :rolleyes:)

Now to catch up and watch the video. I expect-
Gushing over good woof woof.
Drunken sass.
Drunken gushing over good woof woof.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Section Z posted:

delivery yourself via cardboard box (My preferred method).

So that mission where you grab Huey's S-rank method, as far as I know, involves a few small steps.

Step 1) Deliver yourself via box to Huey's without causing any kind of suspicion, otherwise you can't box as fast.

Step 2) Place C4 in various spots as you head to Huey. Because you teleported, half the soldiers aren't even in patrol positions yet.

Step 3) Get to the Sahelanthropus escape, get behind cover long enough for it to lose you, and detonate the C4.

Step 4) Escape while Sahelanthropus runs all the way back to the base to investigate the noise.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Unknown Quantity posted:

So that mission where you grab Huey's S-rank method, as far as I know, involves a few small steps.

Step 1) Deliver yourself via box to Huey's without causing any kind of suspicion, otherwise you can't box as fast.

Step 2) Place C4 in various spots as you head to Huey. Because you teleported, half the soldiers aren't even in patrol positions yet.

Step 3) Get to the Sahelanthropus escape, get behind cover long enough for it to lose you, and detonate the C4.

Step 4) Escape while Sahelanthropus runs all the way back to the base to investigate the noise.

Why yes, my PC playthrough involved grabbing every delivery point ASAP (especially the mansion). Why do you ask?

I of course, always gently caress up at the last second trying to deliver myself when going after Huey :downs: But the rest of the time it works out!

The important thing to remember about cardboard box delivery, is that it does not seem to trigger a checkpoint. I've been reminded of this the hard way several times.

EDIT: "When do you get a rocket launcher?" It's the follow up that sells it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 6, 2016

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I'm a guy who knows THE WHOLE STORY of .hack, Project and Conglomerate, and even I can sympathize with Dan. //SIGN is slow. Whether that's a plus or minus depends on who you are. I did legit appreciate the characters, especially how it ended with a very nonstandard couple. No not like that, you're thinking of Legend of Twi:commissar:
Best to just pretend that second anime never happened, as the devs themselves did when they made Link! I took Sign as an anime soap opera so the slow going nature didn't bother me, but yeah its not for everybody.

quote:

It is but honestly even when it was coming out it wasn't unexpected. Like there are games that work around these issues (Blood Dragon in particular comes to mind, you don't need plot or character depth, just add 80s goofiness and insanity)
Anytime you hear the words "troubled development" around open world games, expect disappointment. See Watch_Dogs for details.
I don't think I've ever played an open world game yet so these issues are all new to me, for better or worse? :confused:

Grace posted:

The .hack saga was fantastic I never meant to imply the soundtrack was ALL it had going for it. The soundtrack was just the best part imo though.
My bad for taking that the wrong way. Hard to argue against the soundtrack being the best part since it is that good.

Since we're on the subject of music, doesn't PS4 (which is what Dan's playing PP on I assume) let you play custom music during games? There should totally be an episode where Dan just plays random music over the game. Send him a track from .hack, G Gundam, Jungle Strike, Tales Of Whatever, and whatnot. Throw in Sonic 06 "Sweet Dreams" for maximum effectiveness. :magical:

Section Z posted:

Well, once they are unlocked you can drive jeeps across ramps, or delivery yourself via cardboard box (My preferred method).

There are a couple specific struts that are chopper access only, though. The petting zoo strut, and the Quarantine (Which doesn't even have a shower, no wonder everyone keeps getting sick :rolleyes:)
Oh that's a good point. Still early(?) in the game so MB is still in its early stages. Guess I'll just have to wait until a full wacky tour of it is possible.

pick-e fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 6, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

pick-e posted:

Since we're on the subject of music, doesn't PS4 (which is what Dan's playing PP on I assume) let you play custom music during games? There should totally be an episode where Dan just plays random music over the game. Send him a track from .hack, G Gundam, Jungle Strike, Tales Of Whatever, and whatnot. Throw in Sonic 06 "Sweet Dreams" for maximum effectiveness. :magical:

I wish, otherwise I would have been blaring the Burning Finger music while fighting Quiet :(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PC version might be the only version that lets you play custom music via iDroid or chopper speakers.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

PC version might be the only version that lets you play custom music via iDroid or chopper speakers.
PS4 and Xbox One versions has custom soundtrack as well. The only exceptions are the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

BipolarAurora posted:

PS4 and Xbox One versions has custom soundtrack as well. The only exceptions are the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.

Wait these actual exist? How well do they play?

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Hrvstmn31 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In3osfKXYFc
This should give you an idea with how well they perform on those two consoles.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Considering the fact that the PC, XBONE, and PS4 versions all seem to have this feature that Dan says he doesn't, and the fact that when someone said they thought he was playing on a PS4 he replied with "I wish", I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they probably play exactly like what we've been watching for the past nine videos of the LP. :rolleyes:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Captain Bravo posted:

Considering the fact that the PC, XBONE, and PS4 versions all seem to have this feature that Dan says he doesn't, and the fact that when someone said they thought he was playing on a PS4 he replied with "I wish", I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they probably play exactly like what we've been watching for the past nine videos of the LP. :rolleyes:

We're playing on PS4, the "I wish" was to the PS4 Phantom Pain having custom tracks, which it most assuredly doesn't.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh, I guess Dan just doesn't know about this, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMmekhq-dVc

Edit: Here's some more information, as well.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/here-is-how-to-use-the-new-usb-music-feature-on-playstation-4-update-2-0

Double Edit: Maybe "doesn't know about this" is a bit too harsh. Technically, yes, it's not the same "custom track" feature as is on the PC version, but it's a simple and easy way to play the songs you want while playing any game on the PS4. If you turn down the game's soundtrack but leave the SFX up it works seamlessly. It just doesn't start/stop in context, like when you get in or out of the helicopter, you have to manually start and stop the music.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 7, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play MGSV Phantom Pain Episode 10 - Anime Ashore

Fun fact: Lingua Franca's "listen to all the interrogations" objective was the final thing I had to do to 100% the game, because even with stealth camo and super speed this mission barely ever loving works.

Stream update!

So we won't be streaming this Sunday because Grace and I are going to be on Smite's Arcade Pit show! If you don't know about Arcade Pit, please do yourself a favour and check out a couple episodes. Episodes 27 are my personal favourite and also feature the most brutal Tetris Attack slaughter I've ever seen. The show starts at 8pm EST, so be there to laugh at our failuCheer us on!

Instead, Grace and I will be streaming MGSV on Monday the 11th! I'm hoping to at least manage to get to Mission 22 so I can do some drat FOB stuff off screen

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Danaru posted:

So we won't be streaming this Sunday because Grace and I are going to be on Smite's Arcade Pit show!

Oh my god yessss

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
For why you'd ever leave a mission by ground/other methods: some missions don't allow you to take characters by chopper or otherwise involve exfiltrating the hot zone. Sometimes leaving by land is significantly faster than running all the way to the chopper and waiting for it to land, and some missions have material containers: with the Cargo or better fultons, you can leave a mission by hopping on top of one, attaching the fulton, then holding the action button again to ride it out of the mission area. It's how you're meant to accomplish the "get out of the oil field before the walker gears make the barricade" objective in your first mission in Africa.

EDIT: Or, if you're not a cheapass like me, you've upgraded your chopper and applied said upgrades, making calling it cost a ton of money every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Unknown Quantity posted:

For why you'd ever leave a mission by ground/other methods: some missions don't allow you to take characters by chopper or otherwise involve exfiltrating the hot zone. Sometimes leaving by land is significantly faster than running all the way to the chopper and waiting for it to land, and some missions have material containers: with the Cargo or better fultons, you can leave a mission by hopping on top of one, attaching the fulton, then holding the action button again to ride it out of the mission area. It's how you're meant to accomplish the "get out of the oil field before the walker gears make the barricade" objective in your first mission in Africa.

EDIT: Or, if you're not a cheapass like me, you've upgraded your chopper and applied said upgrades, making calling it cost a ton of money every time.

It was particularly frustratuing when you could head to a chopper, get on it, and detonate the C4 while sitting in it... and then getting cutscene teleported right out of it back towards the oil facility :v: (At least, last I bothered trying that).

EDIT: Executes prisoners. Goes into ! blinky caution mode because of executed prisoner's corpse.

And I thought them calling into HQ over an intruder when they run over a co-worker with a truck, or they step onto their own landmines was bad.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 8, 2016