Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

OvineYeast posted:

Almost always voted for use of UK military forces in combat operations overseas

Consistently voted against an investigation into the Iraq war

quote:

In May 2009, The Daily Telegraph reported that Ian Austin had tried to split a claim for stamp duty on buying his second home in London, into two payments and tried to claim the cost back over two financial years. This allowed him to claim the majority of the money (£21,559, just £75 short of the maximum) under his second home allowance in the 2005/06 financial year. He then claimed for the remaining £1,344 stamp duty cost in 2006–2007, together with his legal fees. In all, he went on to claim £22,076 (£34 short of the maximum)in the next financial year.[13]

It also reported that Austin "flipped" his second home designation weeks before buying a £270,000 London flat, and that he had claimed £467 for a stereo system for his constituency home, shortly before he changed his second home designation to London. He then spent a further £2,800 furnishing the new London flat.[13]

Mr Austin denied any wrongdoing, and defended his actions in an interview with local newspaper, Dudley News.[14]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

"There is no question that the British Armed Forces remain the envy of the world'

Which is why you now share an aircraft carrier (with no planes) with France. Because jealousy.

Cite? I've seen it mooted as an idea in the past, but I don't believe we're actually doing it. And now we're actually going to be using both carriers, there's less reason for us to anyway.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Two carriers with no planes. And no nuclear reactors. Or catapults.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

"Corbyn suggests the Commons should take action against Tony Blair for misleading it in the run up to the war"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ken Clarke calling for a reinstatement of cabinet responsibility and broadening it to parliamentary responsibility.

Good man.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The UK is a 2 carrier 0 hope country.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

TACD posted:

"Corbyn suggests the Commons should take action against Tony Blair for misleading it in the run up to the war"

There's this strange warm feeling inside. I better go see a doctor.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Antti posted:

There's this strange warm feeling inside. I better go see a doctor.

That feeling is Bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Junior G-man posted:

"There is no question that the British Armed Forces remain the envy of the world'

This statement is perfectly true, in the sense that nobody is asking if the British armed forces are the envy of the world because it's blatantly obvious that they're not.

Like how the gently caress do you read Chilcot's statement and not understand that one of the most obvious conclusions is "we are not equipped to successfully prosecute a war of occupation"?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also lol at "the only consistently applied strategy after the invasion was pulling out"

actual quote to save me from pedants: "In practice, the UK’s most consistent strategic objective in relation to Iraq was to reduce the level of its deployed forces."

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
From the Guardian live feed.

quote:

Cameron tells MPs it is good when MPs debate issues like going to war early. In 2003 the debate took place just before the war was due to start, and as a result some MPs felt they were obliged to support British troops by voting in favour.

I do remember clearly watching a PMQ or something similar not long after the Iraq war and Charles Kennedy was getting so much abuse for opposing the war - "how dare you say you support our troops when you opposed the war?", it was ridiculous that the two were made out to be the same thing. Poor Charles Kennedy, it is such a shame he didn't make it to see the report come out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

David Davis says that Blair deceived the house, and asks what can be done about it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

David Davis says that Blair deceived the house, and asks what can be done about it.

Cameron ignores the question and blows him off :(

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

So is Cameron being nice about all the gently caress ups in Iraq just trying to cover his own arse with regards to Libya?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Obliged to vote in favour of war to support the troops?

How in the gently caress does troops being shot at and blown up equal supporting them?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tory benches are quite empty at the moment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

nothing to seehere posted:

Cameron ignores the question and blows him off :(

Yeah. Basically saying "IT'S NOT DECEIT! IT'S NOT!" and then slinking back to his seat.

Also I like all the veiled insults about not planning for the Brexit vote from both sides of the house.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

hookerbot 5000 posted:

From the Guardian live feed.

I do remember clearly watching a PMQ or something similar not long after the Iraq war and Charles Kennedy was getting so much abuse for opposing the war - "how dare you say you support our troops when you opposed the war?", it was ridiculous that the two were made out to be the same thing. Poor Charles Kennedy, it is such a shame he didn't make it to see the report come out.

Robin Cook pointed out this was no contradiction when he resigned

https://twitter.com/jimrobottom/status/750658078081687552

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Firos posted:

Obliged to vote in favour of war to support the troops?

How in the gently caress does troops being shot at and blown up equal supporting them?

You have to support troops in the abstract. The concept of troops. Are boys.

The real troops, what with their complaints about unarmored landrovers, lack of body armor, nasty veteran injuries etc need to be swept under the rug as soon as humanly possible.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Overminty posted:

Robin Cook pointed out this was no contradiction when he resigned

https://twitter.com/jimrobottom/status/750658078081687552

Corbo looking snappy as ever there

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Haha Corbyn just staring in the background

e:f,b

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I unironically like Cameron much more since he announced his resignation. He should have resigned years ago.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

I unironically like Cameron much more since he announced his resignation. He should have resigned years ago.

If he'd never been an MP he might have been my favourite dead pig fucker of all time.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Corbin is just terrible in the house.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Rakosi posted:

piss off

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Rakosi posted:

You, however, are terrible everywhere.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Renaissance Robot posted:

A defence equivalent to the financial sector's constant crowing of "we've done nothing illegal", or as children know it, "ain't no rule!" :colbert:

Unless you're in favour of retroactive justice, which is a stupid idea, "We've done nothing illegal" is a real defense.

Tony Blair can't be held to account for breaking a set of laws that we aren't a signatory to (The Kampala Amendments in the ICC that dictate the prosecution of the Act of Aggression) and that don't come into effect until 2017.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

-wrong to not trust intelligence committees

In fairness this is actually a good lesson. The Joint Intelligence Committee advised that there was no evidence of active WMD production and the entire intelligence community with the exception of a couple of tame MI6 officers were saying the dodgy dossier was, well, dodgy. Eliza Manningham-Buller even outright told them going to war would massively destabilise the area and would certainly lead to an increase in domestic terrorism. The Blairites can hardly claim they didn't know this as they willingly signed off on the largest expansion in the MI5 budget since 1939.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'll at least grant that 'Corbin' is more subtle than the (((parentheses))) thing. Not much more subtle, but a tiny bit.

Can we get a wordfilter to change it to 'Liz Kendall'?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

namesake posted:

You, however, are terrible everywhere.

Terribly correct :smug:

Is there absolutely anything new in this report that could be used to indict Blair on charges, or is it just 3 million words of confirmation of what we already knew?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Unless you're in favour of retroactive justice, which is a stupid idea, "We've done nothing illegal" is a real defense.

Tony Blair can't be held to account for breaking a set of laws that we aren't a signatory to (The Kampala Amendments in the ICC that dictate the prosecution of the Act of Aggression) and that don't come into effect until 2017.

Congratulations on missing the point.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fairness this is actually a good lesson. The Joint Intelligence Committee advised that there was no evidence of active WMD production and the entire intelligence community with the exception of a couple of tame MI6 officers were saying the dodgy dossier was, well, dodgy. Eliza Manningham-Buller even outright told them going to war would massively destabilise the area and would certainly lead to an increase in domestic terrorism. The Blairites can hardly claim they didn't know this as they willingly signed off on the largest expansion in the MI5 budget since 1939.

Oh yeah, I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with those, just felt it worth putting them up.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Such a shame the Charles Kennedy didn't get to see this

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

He is, however, a war criminal.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tesseraction posted:

Oh yeah, I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with those, just felt it worth putting them up.

Got to admit that's dangerously close to saying we should listen to experts on things they're expert in.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Just catching up on today's Parliament and Cameron says that Britain under his leadership could now never put troops on the ground without proper discussion and a vote in the House. Is sending troops to war without discussion or a vote not exactly what he did in Libya?

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Just catching up on today's Parliament and Cameron says that Britain under his leadership could now never put troops on the ground without proper discussion and a vote in the House. Is sending troops to war without discussion or a vote not exactly what he did in Libya?

Ah, but they weren't actually 'on the ground' so technically...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Congratulations on missing the point.

I'm not the one falsely accusing someone of being a war criminal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

Such a shame the Charles Kennedy didn't get to see this
I blame the thread for the election drinking game of "drink until you die if the Tories get in."

big scary monsters posted:

Not on the ground.

(I am ignoring whether airmen are troops.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I thought special forces were in fact on the ground in Libya and some were even killed.

• Locked thread