Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

SirPhoebos posted:

So, how do I drop events to get into a new one?

Go to "My Transactions" under your account, choose "Return Tickets"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

fordan posted:

Go to "My Transactions" under your account, choose "Return Tickets"

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Any big new games to look out for this year? I grabbed Codenames last year and that's been on my table pretty constantly.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Millions posted:

Any big new games to look out for this year? I grabbed Codenames last year and that's been on my table pretty constantly.

Seafall is what I'm going to be suplexing nerd out of the way for come Thursday morning.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Wait is Seafall actually coming out finally? Has anything been said about it?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The website says there will be copies at GenCon.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yeah there aren't a lot of things on my radar this year and I'm still excited to go, guess thats a good!

In other news, i bought the Dresden Files RPG and fatecore books to give a shot. See how it goes, thanks goons! Jesus those books are big though.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Texibus posted:

Yeah there aren't a lot of things on my radar this year and I'm still excited to go, guess thats a good!

In other news, i bought the Dresden Files RPG and fatecore books to give a shot. See how it goes, thanks goons! Jesus those books are big though.

A good purchase, some of my best games in the past few years have been DFRPGs and FATE is seriously an amazing system.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I'm terrified to ruin the experience for my buddies who are also new and trying out RPGs because I'll be first time GMing. (And I've only played D&D 3 sessions)

But after doing a skype game of D&D 5th edition, I reeeally want to try out a more streamlined system that's more narrative driven and seems that what this is going to be.

Also, we are all Dresden File fans so this should be a good setting.

Moles do you have any tips or resources to hit up?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Honestly the Dresden Files book does a brilliant job of setting you up. Follow the City Building guide and spend your entire first session researching what city you want the game to be in, chat about weird poo poo you find and as the GM write down everything that sounds like a cool location, group or person. After that the adventure basically writes itself.

Give your players lee-way to break the setting a bit if they want to. I had a Knight of the Elkring's Court in my game, wielding an enchanted sawed off shotgun. It was ace.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Well, since the Infinity Tournament on Friday sold out in like a microsecond, I am left with a gaping void in my Friday schedule. Any goons wanna get together and play some Apocalypse World?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Texibus posted:

Ohh I would love to play Dresden Files RPG... Sounds like such a cool system.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I would actually play Magic if there was a sealed event that had cards/rules from 1998.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I feel like this thread, compared to last year's thread, has been much slower to build up to a fever pitch over Gen Con and its goings on. C'mon - it's less than two months away now, and events have already gone up (and promptly been sold out)!

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I don't know what to tell you. I'm only eye balling one game (seafall), got a sweet hotel and all the events I wanted. Now it's just a wait till I get to hang with my bros

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Chaosium put up a whole mess of Call of Cthulhu games if you're so inclined

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm headed to Origins tomorrow so have been more focused on that. Will probably be more pumped for Gen Con once I get back!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
My friends bailed on me this year so I couldn't afford to go it alone. I'm not posting out of bitterness and despair. Except now.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I think about Gencon every loving day.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm starting a new job so I'm not 100% sure I can go. I'm sure I'll be able to go but I'm ready for the possible disappointment of not being able to attend.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Slandible posted:

I think about Gencon every loving day.

This.

Also, thanks for the Chaosium heads-up, Haystack. Bought out a session for my group. =D

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Looks like my small group and I are rounding the bases on Cthulhu-based RPGs. We've got one session of Trail, one session of Delta Green, one for CoC 6th, and now thanks to the recent posting another of CoC 7th.

In particular, the CoC 6th event we got into looks... Interesting. It's The Horror on New Year's Eve, and it looks like it's a multi-GM, multi-group game. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Extra excited for gen con after getting back from origins this past weekend. It was my first time attending, and I figured I'd put up my post con thoughts on origins for those thinking of attending or as a gen con substitute. Main reason I went is because everything but travel was paid for in exchange for me dming D&D for most of the con.

Was a good con overall. I don't think it could replace Gen Con for me, but I definitely think I will go back next year as a DM if they'll have me. It reminds me a fair bit of Gen Con in Milwaukee in the early 90s. It's a little spread out, but not too much, and it is noticeably not crowded (which is a good thing ). That said, for some reason it does feel a bit more like a trade show than a gaming convention for some reason, and I think what is going on is that it's lacking the spectacle that is gen con. That may be a good thing for some, but it really makes the show feel less energetic for me. I do like that they have some of the exhibitors allowed to sell in the main gaming hall and that they can run their demos, sales and such past the exhibition hall close! and that several of the card vendors are out of the exhibition hall since I know at other shows they can cause such traffic jams. The exhibit hall is nice, spacious isles, but it shows just how monstrous gen con has gotten that this exhibit hall feels only somewhat larger than Gary Con's even though in fact it dwarfs it.

There isn't as much stuff, but what they have is great to do. It's nice to go to a vendor hall where you don't feel like you are just cattle being herded around, that's for sure. In fact I rarely felt crowded. The only line I had to stand in the entire time was to get my badge printed and it was only for about 20 minutes.

The food options around the convention center were pretty good. I spent most of my time at either the North Market, Barley's or Elevator Brewing and all of them were good. Things were a little crazy on Saturday when the Pride Parade was going by in front of the convention center but that was about it.

I pretty much just played D&D the entire time I was there. I DMed 28 hours worth of modules and it certainly seemed like my players all had a great time. I know the table I ran through the 8 hour long D&D open enjoyed themselves. They definitely got into the event and pushed through as best they could and enjoyed it, 6 character deaths and all!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone interested in splitting an Airbnb near the convention?

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.
Our badges and tickets arrived today and that officially started the Personal Hype Engine for GenCon. I'm excited. I'm Ready. I'm going through the BGG 2016 Gen Con list looking for games that interest so I can map out the dealer's room.

I didn't manage to get in to any of the RPG games I wanted to try, but so it goes!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Groupme was recommended for connecting to goons at Gencon, but how do I set it up?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Groupme was recommended for connecting to goons at Gencon, but how do I set it up?

Download the GroupMe app, PM me (or probably many others in this thread) the email you signed up with and we'll add you. You can do it with pure SMS and no app but it's not the best experience.

Also pick up a battery pack for your phone if you don't already have one; once con hits the groupme will be super active with people planning food/games/commentary/chat.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GroupMe Link

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Or click that link which is a lot more efficient a process.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I'm going to make it this time this year, and I'm likely to have less of a shitstorm than two years ago (booked wrong hotel + three bought games got stolen).

Is the google doc in the OP the one for this year or is there a new one for 2016?

Do we actually have an active irc? #GCG looked empty.

Also fair warning, I can pair approximately five people to their usernames and I apologize to everyone I met who I'm going to have to repeatedly ask who they are on SA.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Everyone uses Groupme.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

fordan posted:

Or click that link which is a lot more efficient a process.

Okay, all set up!

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Good news: I'm booked in walking distance to the convention this year, meaning I can actually drink beers this time :guinness:

Aside from some party games/lighter strategy stuff,I'm looking to play some heavy board games during the con. Outside of early Thursday for vendor hall, Friday evening, and 12 - 1 pm on Saturday, I'll be trying to get games to a table--likely in the Gen Con Games Library & Pick-Up Play room. There is a door fee for 10 hour blocks of $6 to $8 depending if its day or night blocks. I have an extra ticket for each block, and am definitely open to finding free tables elsewhere.

At least some of these are going to be brought with me:
  • Arkwright 2nd edition (picking up a fresh copy at the con!)
  • some kind of Splotter game like Food Chain Magnate, Great Zimbabwe, Roads & Boats, Antiquity, Indonesia--depends on what people really would like to see and what I can fit
  • Tragedy Looper (I have the expansion)
  • Small City and/or CliniC
  • Container
  • Ruhrschifffarht, Kohle & Kolonie, and/or Haspelknecht
  • High Frontier 2nd edition possibly with Colonization expansion
  • Pax Porfiriana, Pax Pamir, Greenland, and/or Neanderthal
  • Keyflower with Merchants and Farmers expansions
  • Archipelago with War & Peace expansion
  • Argent the Consortium with Mancers and Summer Break expansion
  • Whatever else I can think of and fit

None of these (except Arkwright 2nd ed.) I can guarantee will be brought; it really depends on what interest I can poll from people!

Also if anyone is a Netrunner player I'll bring a few decks.

Lastly, I hope to see y'all at the Shut Up & Sit Down Friday night gathering at Tomlinson's Tap Room on Friday evening.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 6, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm down for Archipelago, FCM, & Keyflower. That sounds like a fun session.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
For the Pick Up and Play Room do you have to buy tickets in advance and also what is the capacity for that thing? Is there also a general area to play games you are bringing that doesn't cost to get into or is that room the main spot for that kind of thing?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

For the Pick Up and Play Room do you have to buy tickets in advance and also what is the capacity for that thing? Is there also a general area to play games you are bringing that doesn't cost to get into or is that room the main spot for that kind of thing?

You can get into the game library/pick up and play room with generics. I kinda doubt capacity is much of an issue.

And yeah, there's a vast amount of informal space at the convention center and in the surrounding hotels that's available for whatever. Find table, find chairs, plop self down, play. Most of the goongames I've been in on over the last few years have started on GroupMe as "Hey, we have three for $game and a table in hall F, who wants?"

You'll also find bars and such in the area will not mind if you grab a table and start playing something. If you are taking up a six-top with Twilight Struggle and not drinking you might get some nasty looks I guess, but other than that I wouldn't sweat it.

Short version is there's shitloads of space all over town for games to break out in spontaneous fashion and personally I would not bother with the game library.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Oh, and while I'm here, I bought out a Chaosium Call of Cthulhu game thinking my regular group would go with me, but mistakes were made and everyone except me is busy at that time. So before I refund it, anyone want in?

It is Friday 5pm-7pm. 5 seats available. No experience necessary (I've never played it, I just heard it was good).

https://www.gencon.com/events/101363

edit: current list is:
1. saint
2. Fellis (maybe)
3. Goldmansack
4. Ego Trip
5. CellBlock

Also, Fordan points out that this is right before the goon TD run that starts at 7:13. I think there is probably time to do both if you leave right at 7 but TD is not real tolerant of latecomers.

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 6, 2016

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

saint gerald posted:

Oh, and while I'm here, I bought out a Chaosium Call of Cthulhu game thinking my regular group would go with me, but mistakes were made and everyone except me is busy at that time. So before I refund it, anyone want in?

It is Friday 5pm-7pm. 5 seats available. No experience necessary (I've never played it, I just heard it was good).

https://www.gencon.com/events/101363

I might be down for this, i still have not bothered to log on and actually find events after the initial rush months ago where i didn't get anything

Moles were you still planning on running a goon-only mad max gamma world?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I think its too late to sign up for things now. I mean, you can still do it when you are at Gen Con but since they started printing and shipping badges and tickets I don't think you add more to your account at this point till you're on site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

nesbit37 posted:

I think its too late to sign up for things now. I mean, you can still do it when you are at Gen Con but since they started printing and shipping badges and tickets I don't think you add more to your account at this point till you're on site.

I'm pretty sure you can still sign up for events, but it will be Will Call only.

• Locked thread