Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Russian 122mm howitzer still gets issued with HEAT shells for anti-tank use. Now that is forward thinking right there.

The D-30 mod. 1963, not the M-30 mod. 1938, although I'm sure the latter can still be found kicking somewhere in the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Koesj posted:

Forczyk's Schwerpunkt delves into the details in a very matter of fact manner, and I thought it was a nice and quick read.

I was about to mention that. It does a great job of showing how the fights played out, although it doesn't convey the enormity of operational losses. Still, things like calling for a fuel resupply before attacking make a lot of sense in that light.

A real quick synopsis of the 1941 section would likely be that a competent armored attack takes supplies of ammunition and fuel, the tanks to actually be there rather than trickling in, artillery and infantry support, decent recon and/or orders issued in time to get to a decent position, and officers who have a vague idea what they're doing. The Soviets usually had maybe one of those factors if they were lucky. It's a long time before Lelyushenko and Katukov get a command with tanks that have fuel and ammo and enough time they can set up a coherent position, and they're still missing enough of the pieces that they're limited to a small scale counterattack before shifting back to a fighting retreat.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

All of the ammo and fuel had to be somewhere right? Was it all left at the railhead?

e: Were the Russians able to use their 76 and 85mm guns effectively in 1941? It has come up in more recent books on the subject of 88's that the British QF 3.7-inch and the American 90 mm Gun M1 were pretty good guns in their own right, but rarely used for AT duties. I was wondering if the Soviet guns were as good. The 85mm later ended up in T-34s right?

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 6, 2016

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Yooper posted:

Any good books that cover the industrial side of things?

I work in a metalworking manufacturing facility and I find it absolutely mind boggling that Germany could produce anything of any tolerance or quality in those conditions. A Tiger being made by Germans is one thing, but all of the screws, nuts, bolts, shafts, and miscellaneous stuff had to be made by imported labor. Germany has always had a good machine tool industry, but holy poo poo, they must have worked overtime to cover all of the losses to air raids and such.

Wages of destruction is a fantastic book about the German war economy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just watched a video where an expert claimed that Vikings were such fearsome warriors because they didn't fear death, on account of how they believed they were going to Valhalla.

Is that generally true, or generally bullshit (obviously it's going to vary from Viking to Viking probably)? It definitely sounds not quite right, and my gut reaction is that a society that didn't mind dying would, logically, not last very long

But on the other hand, there hasn't been a Viking raid in a while, so

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Some guy on the internet speaks as the authority on all the religious view of all Vikings several centuries on? well, I'll be honest to myself it seems to me a wee bit bullshit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Frosted Flake posted:

All of the ammo and fuel had to be somewhere right? Was it all left at the railhead?

e: Were the Russians able to use their 76 and 85mm guns effectively in 1941? It has come up in more recent books on the subject of 88's that the British QF 3.7-inch and the American 90 mm Gun M1 were pretty good guns in their own right, but rarely used for AT duties. I was wondering if the Soviet guns were as good. The 85mm later ended up in T-34s right?

All the fuel was in Moscow. The shells weren't anywhere. Production of new 76 mm AP shells began recently, but hadn't come even close to meeting the needs of the army.

85 mm AA guns were also used in the antitank role in 1941, even though they weren't designed for it. Production of an 85 mm field gun that could function as an antitank gun was supposed to begin, but never did since 76 mm was more than enough to deal with current threats. Production of the 57 mm ZiS-2 and ZiS-4 guns also stopped for that reason. The 85 mm guns that ended up in the T-34-85 had the same ballistics as the AA gun, but were a lot more compact.

There was also a 76 mm AA gun, and the ZiS-5 was an attempt to get it into a tank. Eventually the conclusion was the same: the extra power isn't worth the added complexity, so the barrel was replaced with the one from the F-34, even though it was capable of using a much more powerful round. The S-54 gun with 76 mm AA gun ballistics was briefly tried on the T-34, but since the T-34-85 was around the corner, it never entered mass production.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Some guy on the internet speaks as the authority on all the religious view of all Vikings several centuries on? well, I'll be honest to myself it seems to me a wee bit bullshit.

Well the guy was a Viking expert, and he lived in a hut with painted shields and axes and stuff so maybe he knows his stuff? However the video was mostly about trains so they didn't spend a lot of time getting into Viking religious beliefs, it was more of a soundbite

To me, not fearing death is something that only seems to happen in propaganda and fantasy novels, but now I'm curious if Vikings actually were like that at all. My guess is no but I've been surprised before

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To me, it seems pretty false that somebody whether or warrior or soldier that doesn't fear death or think about it at all seems really really weird and out of place. What, you are surrounded by examples of mortality of others friend and foe and you don't consider it or be shaken by it for a single moment?

I mean, logically if the Vikings didn't fear death the whole big rear end party afterlife wouldn't really exist now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
my house is filled with japanese wallscrolls and pictures of anime babes, does that make me an expert in japan and women?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

my house is filled with japanese wallscrolls and pictures of anime babes, does that make me an expert in japan and women?

I'm wearing a shako right now, smoke tobacco and drink gin every day.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

He also had a really big beard

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

drink gin every day.

Same

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ainsley McTree posted:

He also had a really big beard

so do i

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
007 drink gin erryday

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I just watched a video where an expert claimed that Vikings were such fearsome warriors because they didn't fear death, on account of how they believed they were going to Valhalla.

Is that generally true, or generally bullshit (obviously it's going to vary from Viking to Viking probably)? It definitely sounds not quite right, and my gut reaction is that a society that didn't mind dying would, logically, not last very long

But on the other hand, there hasn't been a Viking raid in a while, so

Norse sagas and accounts of Vikings commonly speak of Berserkers, warriors who went without armour, fought in a blind fearless fury, who refuse to retreat "from fire or iron". There's enough accounts to probably conclude this was a real phenomenon, whether brought through training or through some type of drugs. However, the fact that such accounts exist underlines the point that this is *unusual*. If your average Viking didn't fear death, why do they write stories about these big scary madmen?

Then look at things like Beowulf, and the sorry story of everyone in that tale *except* Beowulf and Wiglaf. Beowulf was fiction, for sure, but the depiction in that story cannot have been *too absurd*.

Afterlifes are not a Viking invention.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

YouTube video guy might be suffering from a weird case of a reinactor playing fanfiction with his craft and beliefs. Some reinactors (not all, some are decent!) can be quite odd sometimes. Except HEY GAL who's awesome.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Rockopolis posted:

007 drink gin erryday

007 drank vodka martinis.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

YouTube video guy might be suffering from a weird case of a reinactor playing fanfiction with his craft and beliefs. Some reinactors (not all, some are decent!) can be quite odd sometimes. Except HEY GAL who's awesome.
are you saying there's nothing odd about what i do

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

I wish to live in a world where we can all get drunk and shoot off cannons every day.

EDIT: I didn't know forgotten weapons had their own website!

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 6, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wish to live in a world where we can all get drunk and shoot off cannons every day.
it's idealistic of me, but i hope we can make that world together :sun:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Walk me through this one: why would Viking belief in Valhalla produce less fear of death than Christian belief in Heaven?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

Speaking of you and your predilections I was reminded of something from grad school.

I had a buddy who was researching SS trials from the 60s. As part of that he read a lot of Wehrmacht and SS personnel files that were entered as evidence.

One of his main guys got in some poo poo and was busted from oberleutnant to leutnant. Why? He got drunk as gently caress on garrison duty behind the lines in the Ukraine somewhere and emptied his service pistol out the window.

Somewhere the ghost of a Landesknecht nodded approvingly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The 30yw did sound fun

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of you and your predilections I was reminded of something from grad school.

I had a buddy who was researching SS trials from the 60s. As part of that he read a lot of Wehrmacht and SS personnel files that were entered as evidence.

One of his main guys got in some poo poo and was busted from oberleutnant to leutnant. Why? He got drunk as gently caress on garrison duty behind the lines in the Ukraine somewhere and emptied his service pistol out the window.

Somewhere the ghost of a Landesknecht nodded approvingly.
you have a pistol, you have a window, it's self evident

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Can anyone explain the psychology of a rout? I was reading more accounts of Barbarossa and I'm sill wrapping my head around road junctions full of empty vehicles and fields piled with discarded equipment.

Is there a psychological difference between that and times when a defeated army was able to retreat with heavy losses? I'm thinking of the German retreats after the Anzio breakout and the Falaise Pocket.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kellsterik posted:

Walk me through this one: why would Viking belief in Valhalla produce less fear of death than Christian belief in Heaven?

Valhalla's fighty heaven, isn't it? I guess the idea is that fighters are gonna be more gung ho about it than the "hold Jesus in your heart" heaven (or whatever the theology of the time and place was)

Or, more likely, that it's mostly bullshit

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phobophilia posted:

In my experience it makes you self-identify with Japan so much you got offended by those Sapporo beer commercials from a few years ago because you felt they were a Stereotype :v:

Also note this is actually something I witnessed, not a joke

e: Valhalla is a Viking conception of heaven. It's filled with your bros, you drink and fight all the time, and there are all these hot women named after aspects of war. Interestingly I think your actual Viking raiders were into Thor, who was a lot more rapey than his Marvel incarnation

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 6, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Frosted Flake posted:

Can anyone explain the psychology of a rout? I was reading more accounts of Barbarossa and I'm sill wrapping my head around road junctions full of empty vehicles and fields piled with discarded equipment.

Is there a psychological difference between that and times when a defeated army was able to retreat with heavy losses? I'm thinking of the German retreats after the Anzio breakout and the Falaise Pocket.
Are you panicking? then it's a rout. If you still have your poo poo together and more importantly if your unit as a whole still has its poo poo together (are the commanders able to keep tabs on their dudes, does everyone know where everyone is) then it's a retreat, whether with heavy losses or without.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A route is when it's every man for himself and you're just trying to save your skin. An army in retreat is still an army, a routed one is just a mass of individuals who might still be wearing uniforms trying to get away.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Are you running as fast as you can from the enemy?

If the you is a single person that ditches your truck when it runs out of gas, it's a rout.

If the you is a unit that can fight a delaying action and you don't ditch your truck because you'll get more gas, it's a retreat.

E: These posts are a rout, there's no coordination even though they have a common objective. I think the truck test is a good way to sum up a rout psychologically. Is there trust that things are still working and paperwork is happening to keep it that way?

HEY GAL posted:

you have a pistol, you have a window, it's self evident

Silly American pilots using doors.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 6, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I would point out that the distinction between the two can frequently become rather vague.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well the guy was a Viking expert, and he lived in a hut with painted shields and axes and stuff so maybe he knows his stuff? However the video was mostly about trains so they didn't spend a lot of time getting into Viking religious beliefs, it was more of a soundbite

To me, not fearing death is something that only seems to happen in propaganda and fantasy novels, but now I'm curious if Vikings actually were like that at all. My guess is no but I've been surprised before

There's lots of instances where the vikings land and steal poo poo in X_country, and pile into their boats to go somewhere else when the local lord raises enough troops to properly fight them. They knew they weren't invincible, and other peoples were perfectly willing to fight them.

By and large, the average viking raider was just some guy who lived in Denmark and stole poo poo on the regular. You don't need to be Beowulf to rob peasants.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I always took it that they were not "not afraid" in a fearless / suicidal sense but they embraced death knowing it is inevitable and that an honorable death on the battlefield trumps all others and worked that into their belief system. So it wasn't that they were unafraid to die, they just saw it as the logical conclusion to being a bad rear end

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Are you running as fast as you can from the enemy?

E: These posts are a rout, there's no coordination even though they have a common objective.

working towards the OP

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

EX250 Type R posted:

I always took it that they were not "not afraid" in a fearless / suicidal sense but they embraced death knowing it is inevitable and that an honorable death on the battlefield trumps all others and worked that into their belief system. So it wasn't that they were unafraid to die, they just saw it as the logical conclusion to being a bad rear end

How is this any different from a crusader, mujahideen, or some Kipling or SS die hard just oozing nationalistic fervor?

Being willing to die in combat because you think you have an eternal reward or are contributing to a cause beyond your self isn't exactly unique to Vikings.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

Just because it's a big part of mythology and belief doesn't meant that they stopped being human.

I'm sure a lot of vikings talked game, but we have plenty of records vikings losing fights and running away, on various scales. There was probably a small core of die-hard warriors, but that's true of almost any culture.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

working towards the OP

Well played.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Cyrano4747 posted:

How is this any different from a crusader, mujahideen, or some Kipling or SS die hard just oozing nationalistic fervor?

Being willing to die in combat because you think you have an eternal reward or are contributing to a cause beyond your self isn't exactly unique to Vikings.

it isn't different at all imo and i didnt claim it was unique

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Just because it's a big part of mythology and belief doesn't meant that they stopped being human.

I'm sure a lot of vikings talked game, but we have plenty of records vikings losing fights and running away, on various scales. There was probably a small core of die-hard warriors, but that's true of almost any culture.

and i didnt say they were inhuman

The United States Army is arguably the highest trained and most lethal fighting force known to humanity and look at the win/loss record there.

Look at any 'backwards' group doing war poo poo, such as isis or one of their peers, and you see plenty of the same poo poo romanticized in the days of old just with modern weapons and darker skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

intruder missions with Ju 88s against british bombers

Luftwaffle night fighters are my favorite WW2 planes. They look like clumsy dragonflies.

Not Ju88s:

• Locked thread