Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Johnny Walker posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Allen

In case anyone was wondering. It's interesting to me how someone can be apparently mega-popular and almost universally known in his day, but then now be relatively completely unknown (at least as far as I am aware).

Fred Allen was awesome. He wasn't the first broadcast comedian to do fake news, but he did it from NBC's 8H before Lorne Michaels was even born.

Skippy (May 7, 1929)

Out Our Way (July 8-9, 1929)

Peanuts: Year Five (February 24-27, 1955)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

I suspect he can, Spidey. The man has a doctorate in magic.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I'd think it was some kind of paradox, but Bud Grace figured out a new way to be old-timey racist.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I'd think it was some kind of paradox, but Bud Grace figured out a new way to be old-timey racist.
He's not wearing round glasses and a moustache and doesn't have buck teeth. Progress may be almost imperceptible, but with Piranha Club, you take what you can get.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I suspect he can, Spidey. The man has a doctorate in magic.
Actually it's a medical degree.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Yeah, he merely has an M.A. in Magic. Hence Master of the Mystic Arts. :downsrim:

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

So he's going to fly from wherever in Africa to the Himalayas in this antique piece of crap? While wearing the costume?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Darkest Auer posted:

So he's going to fly from wherever in Africa to the Himalayas in this antique piece of crap? While wearing the costume?

The Comets were built for long cross country races, and has a 3,000 mile range. Unless they're starting from South Africa they only need to stop for more gas *Googles* three times in an airplane that will have the entire population of the airports and the ATC guys drooling over it.

(The Sikorsky would be lucky to hit 300, but is a classy boatplane)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Slammy posted:

Andy Capp (click for big)

A lot of the old Andy Capps bear a surprising resemblance to modern Heathcliff.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Well, congrats on aligning the balloons to read in the right order at least.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slammy posted:

Andy Capp (click for big)

Crop to the last panel and it's a Heathcliff.

edit:

NRVNQSR posted:

A lot of the old Andy Capps bear a surprising resemblance to modern Heathcliff.

gently caress!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just refuel his 80 year old, one-of-a-handful-ever-made plane at some random airports in a bunch of politically unstable countries, no biggie.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Reddick, we get it. You wish you were John K.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Actually it's a medical degree.
Dr. Stephen Vincent Strange is a retired surgeon, yeah. "Dr. Strange" is his actual name.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

This is sooooo good. You know where she thinks those kids should be.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Dorks hate jocks but are just absolutely fascinated with broke-brained he-men who yell at people for a living :iiam:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What is wrong with his neck?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

I like that he's doing the intense, veiny neck thing, but is using it just as his regular neck. So it look okay in the center panel for the intense look, but otherwise it just looks like something is wrong. Also, was blonde guy's head always so tiny?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

"Now what kind of expression for the last panel? I know! Smug smile with bent neck. That hasn't gotten old yet."

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

gently caress off grandpa, i'm not in the army and you aint got poo poo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Terminal Lance got the expression right

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I'm honestly looking forward to seeing where Marciuliano takes this. For a second I thought Jon might show up at the camp by coincidence and I'm glad he didn't go with something that hacky (not that I should expect that sort of thing from him).

Sally Forth is so good, and has developed characters that I actually care about. It's goofy and all, but sweet, and better at the soap-type stories and the soap strips are.

F Minus

Mary Worth

But how will they get him there? He can't walk, so what will they do? If only they had some device that was used for moving heavy, bulky objects!

Rex Morgan MD

"Here's one offer for a bazillion dollars, but here's another for a kajillion. But I think the best offer is this one for infinity dollars."

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Ah, the beginning of what is sure to be a long and healthy relationship. :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"His father died in the hospital" is an amazingly stupid line for reasons it would take too long to fully explore.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Lovely Horse posted:

"His father died in the hospital" is an amazingly stupid line for reasons it would take too long to fully explore.

God forbid Tommy follow his father by dying from a thrown out back.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (July 10, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 23, 1930)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

My Lovely Horse posted:

He's Lucky from King of the Hill.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Oh shut the gently caress up, Batiuk. I just used some coinage to buy my lunch, they're not becoming some lost relic of the past.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

So she's willing to marry a fully-grown adult who is surprised that a long-haul flight from NY (I'm guessing they're on the US East Coast) to south-east Asia might take more than an hour or two. Okie doke.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Oh, for gently caress's sake.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (June 13, 1951)

Barnaby (November 18, 1942)

Nancy (July 28, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (April 10, 1929)

Barney Google (April 26, 1922)

Lil' Abner (December 23, 1936)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Savidudeosoo posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up, Batiuk. I just used some coinage to buy my lunch, they're not becoming some lost relic of the past.

Maybe we have been wrong this whole time. Crankshaft doesn't take place in the past, it takes place in the future!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Savidudeosoo posted:

Look at the art, those aren't coins, they're beans.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

It looks like he's wearing a diaper.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

It really does blow my mind that goofy, teen-oriented gag strip "Funky Winkerbean" somehow resulted in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Savidudeosoo posted:

Not to mention Crankshaft takes place ten years ago, in 2016.

• Locked thread