Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Aishlinn posted:

ugh this couch commentator...painful

Do all the nerds just look the same or has that glasses guy seriously been there for like 4-5 runs already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How many A-presses has it been so far?

e: someone stole my joke in a donation :argh:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 6, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
An a-press is an a-press. You can't say it's only half.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
It's nice to see a different flavor of Mario 64 this year. The various 120 star runs/low star runs are interesting, but it was getting a bit stale.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Watching this is making me ache for a new Mario 64-like game :( I love both 64 and Sunshine, but the Galaxy games are literally unplayable for me and lately they've just been making dumb New Super Mario Bros games. :smith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Talking can be difficult sometimes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Watching this is making me ache for a new Mario 64-like game :( I love both 64 and Sunshine, but the Galaxy games are literally unplayable for me and lately they've just been making dumb New Super Mario Bros games. :smith:

Why are they unplayable? Motion sickness? I had a friend in highschool who said that was the reason he couldn't play the first one when it came out.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Why are they unplayable? Motion sickness? I had a friend in highschool who said that was the reason he couldn't play the first one when it came out.

Bingo. The way you orbit around the level instead of walking on flat ground just fucks me up. :negative:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Super Mario 3D World was pretty great. Not fully open world, but as far as mechanics go, it was pretty tight and cat-suit mario was awesome

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

3D land/world are really fun

they're not 64-style but they're definitely better than the nsmb games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Bingo. The way you orbit around the level instead of walking on flat ground just fucks me up. :negative:

Man that sucks.

Unfortunately it seems like they really have veered towards more bite sized level based gameplay. 3D World and 3D Land are both great but I still miss the other style.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
100- coin stars suck.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
3D World is an amazing game, and I love it very much but it has small levels with a time limit. It's not a chill collectathon like Mario 64 :smith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I remember reading that 64 and Sunshine was made they way they were because the games couldn't handle a unique level for every star due to space reasons so they just made one big level and packed it full. It's also why the game kicks you out after each star- to make it seem longer then it actually is.

Now that they're able to make a level for every star/flagpole I don't see them going back because they probably don't think it's needed.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Couch commentators aren't the best on this.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Do they not know the a-press meme

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Pakled posted:

An a-press is an a-press. You can't say it's only half.

the press is one half, the release is the other half

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

One of the guys on the couch legit sounds like he's melting.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

One of the guys on the couch legit sounds like he's melting.

I wonder if he has like a speech impediment or something.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Games done Quick gave courage to ask for a raise? Seriously>

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Your Computer posted:

I wonder if he has like a speech impediment or something.

Wouldn't be surprised. Just kind of distracting sometimes v:shobon:v

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Aurora posted:

Do they not know the a-press meme

i imagine if you're a mario 64 speedrunner you've heard that meme so much it makes you crave death

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

No meme is too tired. Bring in the all your base

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

before i watch it is the KOTOR run any good, for some reason it has a bunch of dislikes on youtube

There are some technical issues at the beginning, but other than that it's a really solid run

If you're familiar with the game you'll definitely enjoy it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Games done Quick gave courage to ask for a raise? Seriously>

Listen, halfcoordinated's speech about reaching for your limits was pretty powerful

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's meme hour

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Xenothral posted:

Take A Bath happened in the Jedi Academy run I believe. It's a very good run, that and Dark Forces were both pretty awesome.

Speaking of which:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxT73w_Mmww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpp2CAjV2ms

I haven't watched the Dark Forces one yet but the Jedi Academy run was awesome.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
hold the phone

SKYRIM?!

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
I hope the "Hey Brossentia" puns really ramp up over the week. Is Brossentia commentating on anything? He usually adds something to the proceedings.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

This guy seemed less like a speed runner and more like someone who was just good at Mario 64. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a bit odd.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Your Computer posted:

hold the phone

SKYRIM?!

its actually a reaaaaally short speedrun, its broke as gently caress

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

hold the phone

SKYRIM?!

its broke as hell

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've seen Morrowind done in less than 5 minutes, so I am not surprised in the slightest at seeing more Bethesda games.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mangler103 posted:

I hope the "Hey Brossentia" puns really ramp up over the week. Is Brossentia commentating on anything? He usually adds something to the proceedings.

He's not attending. Somehow that makes the "Hey Brossentia" donations even better.

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran
Whomever is in charge of getting the VODs up as quick as they are, thank you. I haven't had the time to sit and watch the ones I want to see when they air, so this has been really cool seeing them on the official site and not bootlegged by someone else.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

its broke as hell

That's not the part I'm surprised at (I mean, it's made by Bethesda) but I just have no idea what a speedrun of it looks like.

I'm actually playing through it myself at the moment (annual Skyrim playthrough) and breaking the game is half the fun. One of my favorite tricks is that you can scale pretty much any wall as long as it's not 90 degrees by walking and jumping at the right angles. :allears:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any good runs happened in-between Tz and the just ended Mario DS? Went to bed after 30 seconds into the Tz run the person starts doing a bad joke about youtube lpers.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Your Computer posted:

That's not the part I'm surprised at (I mean, it's made by Bethesda) but I just have no idea what a speedrun of it looks like.

I'm actually playing through it myself at the moment (annual Skyrim playthrough) and breaking the game is half the fun. One of my favorite tricks is that you can scale pretty much any wall as long as it's not 90 degrees by walking and jumping at the right angles. :allears:

a lot of it involves a glitch on an early version that lets you run really fast with infinite stamina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Rirse posted:

Any good runs happened in-between Tz and the just ended Mario DS? Went to bed after 30 seconds into the Tz run the person starts doing a bad joke about youtube lpers.

Silent Hill 3 and Resident Evil 2 were extremely chill.

• Locked thread