Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I would strongly consider it if mobile Firefox didn't support uBlock. I don't mind the odd in-app ad, just the way things are (and paying to ditch the ads isn't a big deal) , but running a browser without some kind of adblock is just horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Or they'll call it the Nexus G because G is the 7th letter in the alphabet.

If they do go this route, will they skip the letter i in fear of being sued by Apple for using the letter i?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KinkyJohn posted:

If they do go this route, will they skip the letter i in fear of being sued by Apple for using the letter i?

Yes because Nexus 9 is a pretty baller name.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Lmao why do people still root their phones

To be fair, the only reason I know this way for wifi to fail is because on Kit Kat on a Nexus 5 it would happen if you used the wifi hotspot. The only fix if you weren't rooted was to format and reflash the firmware (flashing over top would not work) so there was no way to preserve your data.

So if you were rooted, the fix took 30 seconds. If you weren't rooted but were technically minded enough to install ADB and fastboot and learn how to flash a system image, the fix required a wipe and took the time spent to figure out how to do all of that plus set your phone back up. If they were like you, a person who refuses to flash their own device, the fix took a two days while Google cross-shipped you a new phone.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
I just experienced something unsettling on my Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge. I took a photo of a raw egg with my phone, and a few minutes later, Google Maps created a notification saying I should send the photo to XXXX Water Damage. I guess an egg yolk looks like water damage? Is this commonly known that Google automatically analyzes your photos to attempt to advertise to you? I guess I shouldn't be surprised since every app asks for access to your phone's storage, but to automatically send your photos to Google? That seems to be crossing a line. Does anyone know where to find more info about this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Krenzo posted:

I just experienced something unsettling on my Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge. I took a photo of a raw egg with my phone, and a few minutes later, Google Maps created a notification saying I should send the photo to XXXX Water Damage. I guess an egg yolk looks like water damage? Is this commonly known that Google automatically analyzes your photos to attempt to advertise to you? I guess I shouldn't be surprised since every app asks for access to your phone's storage, but to automatically send your photos to Google? That seems to be crossing a line. Does anyone know where to find more info about this?

I'm not picking on you (okay, I'm kind of picking on you) but I don't understand the kind of person who buys a phone created by an advertising company, which was created for the explicit purpose of mining your life for any and all data, which doesn't even function properly without the framework explicitly designed to do this, and then gets upset when their data is mined.

If this kind of thing bothers you in the least, why would you not get an iPhone where their entire pitch is that your data is your own even to the detriment of some of their services.

How does someone buying an Android not understand this kind of thing going in?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Krenzo posted:

You know what's common?
Image processing that happens in camera software looking for damage, so it can notify the user. Like just happened here.
No images got sent anywhere.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

Lmao why do people still root their phones

Because cloud save on every single title isn't an obligate condition of being allowed to put stuff on Google Play

gently caress it, bring Chrome OS (extensions and all or who'll give a poo poo and Windows phones might actually not go away because not everyone can blow 800 bucks on an iPhone) down to phones and have DOD-sandboxed apk compatibility for the obstinate. Android is pretty much doomed.

docbeard posted:

I would strongly consider it if mobile Firefox didn't support uBlock. I don't mind the odd in-app ad, just the way things are (and paying to ditch the ads isn't a big deal) , but running a browser without some kind of adblock is just horrible.

With the state of the Web these days, adblock is self-defense (hence above). Figure out if you actually care about the site. If they're civil and you feel bad about it, buy their swag. If they try to slip your computer a cryptolock or something, even if adblock tackles it without breaking a sweat, get on social media and shame the pants off of them.

In-app ads are actually pretty sedate most of the time, and Google seems to be quick to the jump if you report virus and police report scams as inappropriate (on the grounds that guess what).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 6, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

I'm not picking on you (okay, I'm kind of picking on you) but I don't understand the kind of person who buys a phone created by an advertising company, which was created for the explicit purpose of mining your life for any and all data, which doesn't even function properly without the framework explicitly designed to do this, and then gets upset when their data is mined.

If this kind of thing bothers you in the least, why would you not get an iPhone where their entire pitch is that your data is your own even to the detriment of some of their services.

How does someone buying an Android not understand this kind of thing going in?

Cheapasses who still want The Unicorn.

Kerbtree posted:

You know what's common?
Image processing that happens in camera software looking for damage, so it can notify the user. Like just happened here.

The weird thing is that there's enough logic on a decent phone now for it to do that with no Internet link of any kind.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Parallel Playa posted:

For some reason, I can't turn the wifi on my galaxy S5 on anymore. To be more specific, I'll flip the switch to the right, and it'll just instantly flip back off. I've tried to wipe the cache and do a settings reset but it still isn't working. Anyone able to help?

The last time this happened to me it was bad/old firmware/radios (separate from ROM), do your research before updating piecemeal (you have to do it in order) unless you are doing a wipe/factory restore via computer.

Or it's a just a weird bug/corruption.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

My Nexus 6 just broke and I'm looking for a new phone. Is the Oneplus 3 any good?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It's been getting some very positive reviews, like this one http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_3_time_saver-review-1459.php, but Oneplus don't have a great track record as far as software support and timely updates go.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kiwid posted:

My Nexus 6 just broke and I'm looking for a new phone. Is the Oneplus 3 any good?

Literally the last page had a link about a major security hole sooooooooo

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Literally the last page had a link about a major security hole sooooooooo

drat. So what phone is good that isn't made from a) a Chinese company, and b) Doesn't have Samsung's shitware on it?

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

kiwid posted:

drat. So what phone is good that isn't made from a) a Chinese company, and b) Doesn't have Samsung's shitware on it?

The Nexus 5x is made by LG.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kiwid posted:

Uh, you know Oneplus is disqualified by this too, right?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Uh, you know Oneplus is disqualified by this too, right?

In what way?

I don't care if the phone is assembled in China. I just don't want a phone made by a Chinese company (Huawei).

If you're referring to the non-stock Android (Oxygen OS) then I'd argue that it's much more stock and refined than Samsung's stuff?

Wax Dynasty posted:

The Nexus 5x is getting to be a year old now, isn't it? Should I wait then to see what else Google has planned soon?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Wax Dynasty posted:

Is now a dumb time to buy a 5x with the new ones not far away? Idk why it would be but I don't keep up with phone stuff. The battery on my One X is comically bad so it's probably time to replace it entirely.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You should wait 6 months after a phone comes out anyway to let them fix bugs or to find out if it's just crap you shouldn't buy.

Right now is the right time to buy a 5x.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

kcer posted:

Is now a dumb time to buy a 5x with the new ones not far away? Idk why it would be but I don't keep up with phone stuff. The battery on my One X is comically bad so it's probably time to replace it entirely.

I can't believe you're still using the One X. Mine lasted two years before the battery was nigh useless and I jumped to the Nexus 5.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

kiwid posted:

In what way?

OnePlus is a Chinese smartphone manufacturer founded in December 2013. It is headquartered in Shenzhen, Guangdong.

:ohdear:

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Blue Train posted:

OnePlus is a Chinese smartphone manufacturer founded in December 2013. It is headquartered in Shenzhen, Guangdong.

:ohdear:

Oh I see. I didn't know that.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Mr. Powers posted:

I can't believe you're still using the One X. Mine lasted two years before the battery was nigh useless and I jumped to the Nexus 5.

It's been really good. Never crashed, battery was mostly fine, but I tend to use the camera a lot for work now and it just murders the battery after barely an hours use. It's also recently started doing dumb poo poo like Twitter crashing when I like a tweet.

Thermopyle posted:

Right now is the right time to buy a 5x.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I got my Nextbit Robin (Mint color) yesterday and the first impression is super nice. The built is amazing, but there's lots of complaints online that the plastic cracks after some time so I don't want to be to quick to judge. The wow-factor is definitely there. The whole design and in hand feel simply makes me smile which hasn't happened with my last few smartphones (Nexus 6, Xperia Z1, HTC One M8, iPhone 4s...the list goes on).

It's faster than my Nexus 6 ever was, everything feels super snappy (not completely lagfree though, Android style!). Battery life will be judged in a few weeks. I'm not big on the cloud feature, but I activated it anyway just because I want to see if it's working as advertised. Not that I'll ever need 100GB of apps in the cloud.

The black border around the screen is strange though. It makes the screen seem so much smaller than it actually is. I think it shouldn't be a problem on the midnight version but that one doesn't look as nice as the one mint one, so I'll live with it (and be driven crazy in 3 months).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Krenzo posted:

Kerbtree posted:

You know what's common?

You know what's common? Using the phone's GPS sensors to record where a photo was taken.

I suspect that you took that photo near a place called XXXX Water Damage and Google Maps wants you to upload that as a picture taken at their place. You know, because Google Maps wants more pictures of places in their database.

Or you know, GLOBAL CONSPIRACY TO SPY ON YOUR PHOTOS USING AI TO PROMOTE LOCAL WATER DAMAGE COMPANY.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

AlexF posted:

I got my Nextbit Robin (Mint color) yesterday and the first impression is super nice. The built is amazing, but there's lots of complaints online that the plastic cracks after some time so I don't want to be to quick to judge. The wow-factor is definitely there. The whole design and in hand feel simply makes me smile which hasn't happened with my last few smartphones (Nexus 6, Xperia Z1, HTC One M8, iPhone 4s...the list goes on).

It's faster than my Nexus 6 ever was, everything feels super snappy (not completely lagfree though, Android style!). Battery life will be judged in a few weeks. I'm not big on the cloud feature, but I activated it anyway just because I want to see if it's working as advertised. Not that I'll ever need 100GB of apps in the cloud.

The black border around the screen is strange though. It makes the screen seem so much smaller than it actually is. I think it shouldn't be a problem on the midnight version but that one doesn't look as nice as the one mint one, so I'll live with it (and be driven crazy in 3 months).

Does the robin have NFC and wireless charging?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Last night at work, I went to charge my 6P. I have a USB C to C fast charger here with me, and when plugged in, nothing would happen. I wiggled the ends a bit and figured either the charger or cable died. I borrowed my coworkers "regular" USB A charger and used a micro A to C adapter, and the phone charged on that.

When I got home, I plugged my phone into the official USB C to C charger from Google, and again, no charge. On a whim, I rebooted the phone. Suddenly, both the home and work chargers work fine. What the hell is that about?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kcer posted:

Is now a dumb time to buy a 5x with the new ones not far away?

I would say the new ones are still pretty far away. History tells us the new phones won't be out for another 4 months or so.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

kiwid posted:

Does the robin have NFC and wireless charging?

NFC yes, wireless charging no. I'm a little bummed out about the lack of wireless charging but people in this thread are raving about quick charging (2.0 for the Robin) which is supported, so at least you can top it off pretty fast.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Last night at work, I went to charge my 6P. I have a USB C to C fast charger here with me, and when plugged in, nothing would happen. I wiggled the ends a bit and figured either the charger or cable died. I borrowed my coworkers "regular" USB A charger and used a micro A to C adapter, and the phone charged on that.

When I got home, I plugged my phone into the official USB C to C charger from Google, and again, no charge. On a whim, I rebooted the phone. Suddenly, both the home and work chargers work fine. What the hell is that about?

Fast-charging involves the software in some way. Restarting the phone reset everything.

Pretty basic tech support stuff.

Phones are getting more and more like general-purpose computers. As that continues "reboot to fix poo poo" is going to be more common.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

AlexDeGruven posted:

Fast-charging involves the software in some way. Restarting the phone reset everything.

Pretty basic tech support stuff.

Phones are getting more and more like general-purpose computers. As that continues "reboot to fix poo poo" is going to be more common.

Yeah I get it, I'm just surprised it would charge normally with a USB Micro A charger. I know the charger and phone now negotiate all sorts of poo poo regarding charge rate, just didn't think it would do nothing. I also figured the charging software would be outside of Android and be in an embedded chip somewhere that one would generally think wouldn't crash (which I know, dumb thought apparently).

Well, since Amazon already shipped a new USB C charger after figuring my work one was dead, I'll have a third one for whatever. Can't have too many.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I also figured the charging software would be outside of Android and be in an embedded chip somewhere that one would generally think wouldn't crash (which I know, dumb thought apparently).

You're probably right that it's outside Android to some extent (Android will still need to know something about it so that it can show the appropriate 'Charging rapidly' text), it is probably handled by some firmware running on the chipset, but that can still crash. I worked for a company making wireless modems/chipsets/SoCs etc. for mobiles (our chips and firmware were in the terrible Samsung Galaxy Ace) for a few years, there are a lot of different layers of software and firmware communicating with eachother, and a lot of thing that can poo poo the bed and cause weird behaviour.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

chippy posted:

You're probably right that it's outside Android to some extent (Android will still need to know something about it so that it can show the appropriate 'Charging rapidly' text), it is probably handled by some firmware running on the chipset, but that can still crash. I worked for a company making wireless modems/chipsets/SoCs etc. for mobiles (our chips and firmware were in the terrible Samsung Galaxy Ace) for a few years, there are a lot of different layers of software and firmware communicating with eachother, and a lot of thing that can poo poo the bed and cause weird behaviour.

It was just a first for me. Gotta have a first for everything though. Thanks!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Krenzo posted:

This happens because your photos are automatically tagged with a GPS location; and your phone's Location Services records a little snail trail of where you've been. If the photo's GPS tag matches a business entry on Maps, then Maps assumes you've taken a photograph of the place. You can turn this off if you like.

The way to stop this from happening again is to open Google Maps, go to Settings -> Notifications, and turn off 'Adding your photos'.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Edit: Gah stupid emptyquote button.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Per a video I watched on YouTube, apparently replacing the lock screen with a different one eliminates the ads on the Amazon discounted phones. (Or at least on the R1 HD). Seems like a pretty drat easy way to take care of what appeared to be a very minor annoyance anyway.

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 6, 2016

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Any good lifeproof like cases for Note 5?

Looking for sand and water protection as I'm beach bound.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So my Galaxy S3 is at last dying. It turns off randomly and will just not respond unless I take out the battery and put it back in. So I think it's time for a new phone. I'm looking at the Google Nexus 5x--are there any standout cases for it? I've gone with Otterboxes pretty much since I've had a phone expensive enough to care about but they don't make one for Nexus phones.

I really like a case that I can confidently slap onto a counter like a moron. And as you can tell, size doesn't really matter.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

spincube posted:

This happens because your photos are automatically tagged with a GPS location; and your phone's Location Services records a little snail trail of where you've been. If the photo's GPS tag matches a business entry on Maps, then Maps assumes you've taken a photograph of the place. You can turn this off if you like.

The way to stop this from happening again is to open Google Maps, go to Settings -> Notifications, and turn off 'Adding your photos'.

Yeah, you're right. I searched for the business on Google Maps, and I guess a previous tenant had a business here in my apartment by that name. Hence, Google Maps thought I was taking photos at that business location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Krenzo posted:

Yeah, you're right. I searched for the business on Google Maps, and I guess a previous tenant had a business here in my apartment by that name. Hence, Google Maps thought I was taking photos at that business location.

Now that sounds more like the Google that reminds me of bills two weeks after I've paid them.