Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Shots like these are why I will never understand the criticism I see repeated again and again that Snyder movies are "washed out" or "desaturated."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Shots like these are why I will never understand the criticism I see repeated again and again that Snyder movies are "washed out" or "desaturated."
I guess I can't say that washed out or desaturated are quite the right words, but do you really not look at those screens and see that the film is colored much differently than the average film? I mean, there is snow and it's not white. Snow is usually white.

For what it's worth, I don't mean this as a criticism of the film, but 'washed out' or 'muted' absolutely feel like appropriate words to me, even if someone smarter than me might be able to discuss it as a white shift or what have you. I think the pertinent question though, is why would that automatically be a bad thing?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think it's the part where people use "washed out" as a way to say the film is bad is what bugs MeatwadIsGod.

You don't have to like the style of ZS's films, but that doesn't make his artistic choice bad. It also isn't the best criticism to say the movie is bad/ugly because of the coloring because it is easily disproven.

Might show my technical ignorance with this statement, but, imo, all he really does is use a sepia tone stylization for his movies, which I guess is just too much for people.

e: I plan to make some gifs this weekend, and possibly more screenshots to come. If there's anything specific you want, PM me, or post in here and I'll do my best to remember. Feel free to jack any pics/gifs I post for other threads or other sites.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
What if Batman V Superman wasn't in color?

http://imgur.com/a/Q02Lw

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That still looks great.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

hiddenriverninja posted:

That still looks great.

I need to do Man of Steel this way and do a video essay on the results.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I didn't even realize that some people didn't like Snyder's typical look, I've always loved it. Just goes to show you that this stuff is 100% personal taste and such a thing as objective quality in film/art really doesn't exist.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

K. Waste posted:

This looks incredible, I'd be interested in seeing MOS get the same treatment.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
So basically what I've noticed in that what people tend to cite as evidence of "washed out" or "desaturated" photography in these movies is that the daylight scenes tend to have relatively low levels of contrast, such that there are still pure, crushing blacks, but there are virtually no pure whites. He also tends to shoot on overcast days where lighting's more diffused. In the North Africa sequence in particular, the preponderance of sand further diffuses the available light.

In response to this, in stark contrast with, say, how Iron Man depicts the harsh mid-eastern sun, Snyder and Fong actually deliberately under-expose the image just enough to maintain both latitude with a critical depth of field, but to also emphasize the relationship between the oppressively 'lifeless' climate of the desert and the murky economic-political machinations at work in the sequence. The lighting and color scheme of the sequences emphasizes foreboding, underlying menace - As opposed to Iron Man, which is just a starkly illuminated, un-oppressive fantasy.

There are further dramatic reasons for this lighting, and part of that has to do with its lending scenes and shots that do exploit higher contrast that much more impact.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The last batch of shots I hadn't posted (I wasn't sure if there was a limit so I didn't want to dump too much at once)

e: dammit about 4-6 of these got jacked up by my quick screenshot methods.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 6, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I have a lot of problems with BvS and Watchmen but the way they were shot isn't amongst them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

K. Waste posted:

It would be freaking awesome?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

K. Waste posted:

Sick as gently caress.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This shot owns.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Thanks, this was one of my faves.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

God drat.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I specifically remember seeing this in IMAX and thinking that it was straight out of a Frank Miller comic, I'm glad to know that I'm not wrong at all.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Slugworth posted:

I guess I can't say that washed out or desaturated are quite the right words, but do you really not look at those screens and see that the film is colored much differently than the average film? I mean, there is snow and it's not white. Snow is usually white.

For what it's worth, I don't mean this as a criticism of the film, but 'washed out' or 'muted' absolutely feel like appropriate words to me, even if someone smarter than me might be able to discuss it as a white shift or what have you. I think the pertinent question though, is why would that automatically be a bad thing?

Yeah, I take issue more with those words being bandied about as shorthand for saying Snyder is a bad director like MacheteZombie was saying. I can definitely see that a blue tint seems prevalent in some of the outdoor scenes, but I wouldn't call it washed out, really.

I remember my first impression of Watchmen was that everything seemed "sterile" for lack of a better word. "Hyper-real" might be a better word. Even the violence has a crisp, clean aspect to it, which I think was intentional and to the movie's credit. But maybe it's that sort of impression that rubs people the wrong way.

Also, it looks like Fury Road isn't the only recent blockbuster deserving of a black and white cut. drat.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 6, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The evil misty lakeside villa is like the one in Goodnight Mommy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I specifically remember seeing this in IMAX and thinking that it was straight out of a Frank Miller comic, I'm glad to know that I'm not wrong at all.

All it needs is venetian blind lighting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

All it needs is venetian blind lighting.

Swastika earrings.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Swastika earrings.

I'm pretty sure there are reverse swastika decals on the trucks in the Omega Dream.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I'm pretty sure there are reverse swastika decals on the trucks in the Omega Dream.

My Plex Server is down right now or I'd check and screen cap this for ya.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

I'm sure I woulda noticed but I will take you at your word.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
loving Christ that's great

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ah, bout time someone dealt with Golden Dawn.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
By the way, that looks awfully familiar:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh drat I was just screencapped the truck to post. Haha Thanks Sir Kodiak.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

And as with everything else, it somehow fantastically manages to serve the dual purpose of acting as foreshadowing for Justice League while also perfectly foregrounding Bruce's subconscious.

Like, basically the implication of the dream is that in his fantasy, Batman is leading a para-military group whose symbol is a reversal upon and x'd out version of the swastika - And the ultimate form of betrayal to him would be that this deliberately anti-fascist image would be a cover-up for fascism.

But, then, of course, he doesn't realize that this alien symbol actually means "hope," and he's actually the only one whose alliance uses fascist imagery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

That is loving dope and yet another example of how, yes, Snyder clearly likes these characters and put a lot of thought into this movie.

My memory is hazy since I only saw this in theaters once, but those trucks belong to the guys that doublecross Batman and not to Batman himself, right?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I just like Grant Morrison's notebook doodles.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Ooooh. Who should they get for Dan Turpin/Darkseid ?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ooooh. Who should they get for Dan Turpin/Darkseid ?

Whoever they get for Darkseid will be a disappointment because it won't be Michael Ironside. He was absolutely perfect, anyone else is a downgrade.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Whoever they get for Darkseid will be a disappointment because it won't be Michael Ironside. He was absolutely perfect, anyone else is a downgrade.

Holding out hope.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
God bless Andrea Romano for always fitting the best possible voice actor to a character. If he wasn't already in Marvel land, I'd give it to Mickey Rourke. You wouldn't even need much makeup for that craggy appearance and he already played an imposing-as-gently caress villain opposite Cavill in Immortals. I think he could carry it well with a similar performance as Darkseid.

Sir Kodiak posted:

They've already announced that Steppenwolf will be fully CGI, so I'd assume the same for Darkseid, just like Thanos.

I hadn't heard that and it's kind of a bummer if true. The CG-heavy Doomsday fight is probably my least favorite part of BvS. I think Man of Steel and BvS benefit a lot from Michael Shannon and Jesse Eisenberg being onscreen lending their unique presence to their respective movies. I'd love to be proven wrong and have an all-CG Steppenwolf or Darkseid work, but I'd much rather have a real actor with some CG embellishments when needed.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 6, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

They've already announced that Steppenwolf will be fully CGI, so I'd assume the same for Darkseid, just like Thanos.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MeatwadIsGod posted:

God bless Andrea Romano for always fitting the best possible voice actor to a character. If he wasn't already in Marvel land, I'd give it to Mickey Rourke. You wouldn't even need much makeup for that craggy appearance and he already played an imposing-as-gently caress villain opposite Cavill in Immortals. I think he could carry it well with a similar performance as Darkseid.

He could do the Turpin/Darkseid avatar from Final Crisis extremely well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Basebf555 posted:

Clancy Brown. It'll probably never happen, sadly, since he's already been cast in a DC show and he's probably a little old for it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I think Man of Steel and BvS benefit a lot from Michael Shannon and Jesse Eisenberg being onscreen lending their unique presence to their respective movies. I'd love to be proven wrong and have an all-CG Steppenwolf or Darkseid work, but I'd much rather have a real actor with some CG embellishments when needed.

I selfishly wish that Zod wasn't killed because Michael Shannon was so amazing in that role. I like that the end of MOS had actual consequences, but man oh man Shannon was awesome.

When I rewatched MOS to do a BVS double header, it's really interesting how similar Zod and Superman are. There were a lot of little details I picked up on after viewing BVS:

- Zod and Superman both getting facial scars during a fight with an idealogical opponent
- Zod explaining how he will do anything to save his world and his people, and Clark holding the same belief but instead of murder he sacrifices himself
- As pointed out in this thread, Zod kills Jor El with his Baraka blade, and then kills Kal El with a similar weapon

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head, but there were like a dozen+ times where the visuals or story elements aligned tightly between the two movies that I only realized after watching both again right after each other. Zod is obviously vital to BVS because he becomes Doomsday, but his presence is felt all over the film as the anti-Superman in subtle ways and in amazing callbacks. The attention to details is shocking and it really irritates me when I see people suggest Snyder doesn't understand the characters or he only makes movies for the costumes.

• Locked thread