Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

NoDamage posted:

So am I the only one that can barely tell the difference between a 60 Hz monitor (V-sync off) and a 144 Hz monitor (G-sync on)?

If I turn V-sync on at 60 Hz, mouse movement becomes noticeably sluggish, but with V-sync off it's not terribly different from 144 Hz. It's maybe slightly easier to track moving targets with the 144 Hz monitor, but the difference is very subtle.

if you can't notice, then get the lower hz and maybe a higher res or just save the money and get a nice regular monitor

it does feel very different to me though.
Like one more layer is removed between what you're doing and what you're seeing. Like typing into the windows/mac terminal window vs typing into an old school bare dos or unix prompt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Zorilla posted:

Even at the desktop? The mouse cursor alone should be night and day.
The mouse cursor difference is noticeable at the desktop. I'll give myself some more time to get used to it, and re-evaluate in a couple of weeks. I just expected the difference to be bigger. (Though it is if you compare with V-sync enabled.)

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Currently searching for a new monitor and I'm wondering whether I'm being unreasonable by wanting specifically 4k instead of a 1440p model? Am I incorrect in seeing 4k as a new standard like 1080p was? I ask because I want something that will last me a while and I'm wondering whether it will be worth it to wait for something that is 4k but also 144hz or if I should just say gently caress it and go ultrawide 1440p 144hz like everyone seems to be doing right now.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Green Gloves posted:

What are the chances of getting a decent XB270HU? I honestly dislike how the XB271HU looks and I would get it only because of better quality control. A refurb XB270HU for $400 seems like a good price and 120hz is plenty.

I currently have a Dell ultrawide but I still have a itch to witness firsthand what a high refresh g sync monitor feels like.

I actually ordered one from acerrecertified.com 2 weeks ago and received it Friday. It was $400 plus shipping.

I ran it through all the ufo tests and couldn't find anything wrong in their tests; no dead pixels, no ghosting, etc.

But I did notice 2 issues, one of which has been mentioned in the thread. There's slight vignetting on the bottom 2 corners of about 4 millimeters, but that could be my viewing angle. There is also slight backlight bleed on the bottom side, but it's only noticeable on a pitch black screen.

Gaming on it is a treat and I much prefer the smoothness of 144hz with G-Sync over an ultrawide.

I do wish it had an HDMI input for other devices, but the additional 4 USB 3.0 ports assuages that disappointment.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Currently searching for a new monitor and I'm wondering whether I'm being unreasonable by wanting specifically 4k instead of a 1440p model? Am I incorrect in seeing 4k as a new standard like 1080p was? I ask because I want something that will last me a while and I'm wondering whether it will be worth it to wait for something that is 4k but also 144hz or if I should just say gently caress it and go ultrawide 1440p 144hz like everyone seems to be doing right now.

4k will be a standard but we will see how well it will take off in the computer monitor market. At the moment none of the 4k monitors on the market are as appealing as a 27 inch 1440p/144hz or a 34 inch Ultrawide. You add in we barely have the hardware to push those monitors at good/great framerates, forget about seeing 4k pushed well for about 2 years.

Honestly if I were a betting man I think the Ultrawide market is going to be the future in the monitor market with size and resolution increasing while the 4/8k screens will be more pushed to the television market.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NoDamage posted:

So am I the only one that can barely tell the difference between a 60 Hz monitor (V-sync off) and a 144 Hz monitor (G-sync on)?

If I turn V-sync on at 60 Hz, mouse movement becomes noticeably sluggish, but with V-sync off it's not terribly different from 144 Hz. It's maybe slightly easier to track moving targets with the 144 Hz monitor, but the difference is very subtle.

Yes. Just the cursor movement on the desktop should be impossible to not see the difference. I use a 60hz secondary and moving from 144hz to 60hz is like going from a freshly paved road to one covered in gravel in terms of smoothness.

You might notice less in games but the difference is still there when you're gaming at 100+ FPS vs 60 FPS.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Djarum posted:

4k will be a standard but we will see how well it will take off in the computer monitor market. At the moment none of the 4k monitors on the market are as appealing as a 27 inch 1440p/144hz or a 34 inch Ultrawide. You add in we barely have the hardware to push those monitors at good/great framerates, forget about seeing 4k pushed well for about 2 years.

Honestly if I were a betting man I think the Ultrawide market is going to be the future in the monitor market with size and resolution increasing while the 4/8k screens will be more pushed to the television market.

Yea. I think I agree. I see more enthusiasm for ultra wide than any other format at the moment. At least in the computer / gaming segment.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Am I blasphemous for spending months studying this thread expecting to by an ultra-wide curved monitor, only to balk at the last second and get a VR headset? poo poo was the same price and nothing felt like as much of an upgrade over my 1440p Qnix quite like a Vive.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

eggyolk posted:

Am I blasphemous for spending months studying this thread expecting to by an ultra-wide curved monitor, only to balk at the last second and get a VR headset? poo poo was the same price and nothing felt like as much of an upgrade over my 1440p Qnix quite like a Vive.

Not really, it's new and cool. Don't forget to put a tarp down.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

tvgm2 posted:

I actually ordered one from acerrecertified.com 2 weeks ago and received it Friday. It was $400 plus shipping.

I ran it through all the ufo tests and couldn't find anything wrong in their tests; no dead pixels, no ghosting, etc.

But I did notice 2 issues, one of which has been mentioned in the thread. There's slight vignetting on the bottom 2 corners of about 4 millimeters, but that could be my viewing angle. There is also slight backlight bleed on the bottom side, but it's only noticeable on a pitch black screen.

Gaming on it is a treat and I much prefer the smoothness of 144hz with G-Sync over an ultrawide.

I do wish it had an HDMI input for other devices, but the additional 4 USB 3.0 ports assuages that disappointment.

I am going to guess that nowadays you will be getting refurbs with more recent build dates. Those issues don't sound bad at all for $400. Luckily there's a Frys with an XB271HU on display so I can get somewhat of a taste.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Evil Fluffy posted:

You might notice less in games but the difference is still there when you're gaming at 100+ FPS vs 60 FPS.
Well in either case the game is rendering at 100+ FPS, just on the 60 Hz monitor V-sync is disabled, versus on the 144 Hz monitor G-sync is enabled. That's the one where the difference feels pretty subtle to me. Not on the desktop, not when V-sync is enabled.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Dell u2412m is on sale, OP says to look for goon feedback to see if it's recommended since it's new. Is there any goon consensus? I want a new monitor mostly for photography, but do some casual gaming.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

Dell u2412m is on sale, OP says to look for goon feedback to see if it's recommended since it's new. Is there any goon consensus? I want a new monitor mostly for photography, but do some casual gaming.
It's a great monitor, I've used one for years.

One possible downside: no HDMI input. It has DP + DVI + VGA.

Spatial fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 6, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Refurb XB271HU and XB270HU are back.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Green Gloves posted:

Refurb XB271HU and XB270HU are back.

Where? I don't see them on the Acer recertified store.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

xgalaxy posted:

Yea. I think I agree. I see more enthusiasm for ultra wide than any other format at the moment. At least in the computer / gaming segment.

That's actually just me, tbh. (34" ultrawide is the current correct monitor for everything except games, photography and maybe movies).

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

The Gunslinger posted:

Where? I don't see them on the Acer recertified store.

I do not see the XB271HU, but the XB270HU is on their ebay page: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Display-27-LED-2560-x-1440-WQHD-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor-XB270HU-Abprz-/272298462100?hash=item3f6640cb94

edit: Disregard, this is the lovely TN panel.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't find it anywhere at a real discount, checked their recertified site, reddit and ebay. Be great if that dude could post a link.

Edit: found the deal he was talking about but it went OOS in like 3 minutes.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 6, 2016

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I just bought this: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40JU6500FXZA for $200 at Best Buy (damaged box) and want to use it as a computer monitor.

I don't really need to push 4k to it (and I don't think my R9 Fury will handle that well anyway) so is there a way to knock it down to 1080p? Do I just drop the resolution?

I tried playing Overwatch last night and was getting 35~ FPS where typically I would get a solid 60FPS. I was experiencing some pretty tremendous mouse lag so I looked it up and changed the input to PC mode which seemed to help, but did not resolve the FPS issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Sorry guys for forgetting to link the ebay auction. It was actually up since I woke up around 6:30 am pst time. There was like 4 XB271HU in stock. I think some stalking goons got them because they were still in stock when I posted.

I did not buy it because of sales tax. It came out to like $613. Might as well buy it new.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 6, 2016

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Red Robin Hood posted:

I tried playing Overwatch last night and was getting 35~ FPS where typically I would get a solid 60FPS. I was experiencing some pretty tremendous mouse lag so I looked it up and changed the input to PC mode which seemed to help, but did not resolve the FPS issue.

Well yeah, you can just change resolution in the games' settings. But with Overwatch you're better off keeping the monitor on 4k but setting the "render scale" to something like 50%, keeps the UI looking sharp while rendering the game itself at a much lower resolution.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Related, can you run the 4k version of the 271hu (hk) in 1080p and have the gsync still work? Seems like it might be a good future proofing option, run games at 1080p on my gtx970 now then when the next next gen gtx arrives and can do 60+ fps at 4k..

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Okay so I'm not gonna bother with 4k for a monitor, but now my question is what are my options for high refresh rate ultrawides? The only choices I've seen so far have been those gaudy Acer/Asus red and black 1200 dollar behemoths. Are they the only thing on the market right now for high refresh rate 1440p ultrawides?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Yes. I have the Acer and aside from the badging its pretty plain looking. The Asus is very gamer bling.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just get a proper monitor arm so you don't have to look at the atrocious stands.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Definitely, I love my Erogtron arm. Worth every penny and wish I had done it years ago.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hey everyone, I'm thinking it's finally time to upgrade my monitor. I'm still using a 1080p/60hz Asus monitor from 2010 and it seems like all this fancy 144hz, Free/G-Sync, >1080p stuff is the best bang for my buck rather than upgrading my video card (R9 380 2GB). Given the lifespan of my old monitor, I'm guessing the new one will also last 5-6 years. Given that, I'm having some purchase anxiety and I want to make sure I'm getting the right monitor for my needs. In terms of budget I would like to spend <$500, maybe even <$300.

My questions are:

1) Should I get a TN or IPS monitor? This is the monitor I currently have, which is a TN Asus panel: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052. The picture quality looks okay to me, but I've never used IPS so I have no idea if it's a huge difference.

2) Should I stick with 1080p or move up to 1440p or even 2160p? I don't know if there's a new standard that will become evident soon, but 1080p looks okay to me. Then again, I thought 720p looked good until I started playing in 1080.

3) What are the differences between G-Sync and FreeSync besides NVidia/AMD? I currently have an AMD card so I'm inclined to think I should be looking at FreeSync

4) I've narrowed the field down to these 3 candidates which I'd choose based on the answers to the above questions, are there any issues with these?

1080p, TN, 144hz candidate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236722

1440p, TN, 144hz candidate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236593

1440p, IPS, 144hz candidate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
A 2GB video card seems really, really low to me. There's no way you can do 1440p on that, and even 1080p may run into some issues with recent titles (thread please correct me if I'm wrong).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

is there a list somewhere of recommended g-sync ultrawides? newegg seems to be making it tough to sort by ultrawide specifically.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Okay so I think I'm just gonna say gently caress it and go with

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...s=Acer+XR341CKA

As much as it is I'm gonna have to use it until the wheels fall off.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Okay so I think I'm just gonna say gently caress it and go with

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...s=Acer+XR341CKA

As much as it is I'm gonna have to use it until the wheels fall off.

I dunno man, OLED is on the horizon, and while there's always something better coming, I really do think that OLED is the bee's knees.

Personally I would just get a deal on something like the U3415W (which I have, and it's great) and just wait it out and get an ultrawide OLED or a 4K OLED down the line in a year or two.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

wicka posted:

is there a list somewhere of recommended g-sync ultrawides? newegg seems to be making it tough to sort by ultrawide specifically.

Can you just sort by 3440x1440?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaulC posted:

Well yeah, you can just change resolution in the games' settings. But with Overwatch you're better off keeping the monitor on 4k but setting the "render scale" to something like 50%, keeps the UI looking sharp while rendering the game itself at a much lower resolution.

I'll try that and see if it helps any. I felt like I was getting mouse lag without even having a game open. Is that a refresh rate issue?

Is there any benefit of using DP over HDMI?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Can you just sort by 3440x1440?

i could if i had used my brain, yes. so it's uh pretty much just the two? acer predator and asus ROG?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

wicka posted:

i could if i had used my brain, yes. so it's uh pretty much just the two? acer predator and asus ROG?

For G-Sync, yeah.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Taima posted:

I dunno man, OLED is on the horizon, and while there's always something better coming, I really do think that OLED is the bee's knees.

Personally I would just get a deal on something like the U3415W (which I have, and it's great) and just wait it out and get an ultrawide OLED or a 4K OLED down the line in a year or two.

I concur I got my Dell brand new with 3 year warranty on Craigslist for $500. They are on Ebay used for $500-650. I wish Dell or LG had g sync models because Dell and LG always fall in price.

It sucks that Acer and Asus can keep things at a premium for stupidly overpriced tech.

By the way has anyone in here had any success overclocking their U3415W? I have not tried it with the UFO tests.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

xthetenth posted:

For G-Sync, yeah.

any idea if there are more on the horizon?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Green Gloves posted:

By the way has anyone in here had any success overclocking their U3415W? I have not tried it with the UFO tests.

From a cursory internet search it appears that people have had success overclocking up to 75hz. Seems to be a bit of a lottery, but worth trying.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
Mine clearly drops frames once you go over 60hz. Don't even need a camera to notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

wicka posted:

any idea if there are more on the horizon?

AOC AG271QG is coming out soon, but it uses the same AU Optronics panel as the Acer and ASUS displays, so it's kinda the same thing.

More fast IPS panels are on the way from LG.Display, scheduled to arrive Q1 2017, so... expect those to appear in monitors near you about a year from now.