Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Growing up, US covers for sci fi and fantasy were more often than not absolute poo poo compared to the UK ones. I always wondered why that was and is this still the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

NLJP posted:

Growing up, US covers for sci fi and fantasy were more often than not absolute poo poo compared to the UK ones. I always wondered why that was and is this still the case?

My best guess is "Think of the Children!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NLJP posted:

There's a current cover for Starship Troopers that features the Mobile Infantry deploying from gunships like it's Attack of the Clones without Marauder suits.. If that's not missing the point I don't know what is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's a current cover for Starship Troopers that features the Mobile Infantry deploying from gunships like it's Attack of the Clones without Marauder suits.. If that's not missing the point I don't know what is.

Totally missing the point. People are in danger of thinking Starship Troopers is action-packed and interesting. An ideal cover would just have a picture of your worst high-school history teacher/tea partyer uncle

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best Discworld cover is Night Watch doing a parody of Rembrandt's The Night Watch.

Fun fact about the painting: it was paid for by a group of rich men playing soldiers. Rembrandt made fun of them by painting the shadow of the captain's hand so it appears that someone his grabbing the crotch of the other soldier. It was also never called the Nightwatch and isn't even set at night, but it got coated with a dark varnish that wasn't removed until the 1940s.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Elohssa Gib posted:

My best guess is "Think of the Children!"
The problem is the opposite. I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but a British author did an amazing blog post about the different regional covers of his books. The example he gave had the UK cover with a spaceship, and the US cover with a woman in a v-neck latex catsuit lying on her side. Apparently his American agent said US audience weren't interested in spaceships.

edit: it's Saturn's Children by Charles Stross

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Jul 6, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Totally missing the point. People are in danger of thinking Starship Troopers is action-packed and interesting. An ideal cover would just have a picture of your worst high-school history teacher/tea partyer uncle

Oh I know. I still enjoy the book, but the current cover art I found hilarious because it is so far removed from the actual novel. At least the old covers usually had a guy in power armor on them, which is at least tentatively related to the subject matter.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The covers for the "Lost Fleet" series by Jack Campbell have the main character posing heroically in power armor with a large gun on every book. Except the series is almost entirely focused on fleet actions and the closest the main character gets to wearing power armor is watching the video feeds from his marines capturing PoW camps or space stations. IIRC he doesn't even leave his flagship until the second series.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Arcsquad12 posted:

The thing is they don't even use drop ships in Starship Troopers. They're basically fired out of cannons to the surface.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The problem is the opposite. I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but a British author did an amazing blog post about the different regional covers of his books. The example he gave had the UK cover with a spaceship, and the US cover with a woman in a v-neck latex catsuit lying on her side. Apparently his American agent said US audience weren't interested in spaceships.

edit: it's Saturn's Children by Charles Stross

That is quite astonishingly bad.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

That is quite astonishingly bad.

It looks like a Amazon self-published cover for a Tripping The Rift fan fiction novella.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Maybe I'm hosed in the head but 70s sci fi covers are fascinating and great and I hate that books don't have that type of art on them anymore. I will frequently buy old 70s books I have no intention of reading simply because I love the cover art

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm5VoKDuJiE

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SiKboy posted:

I always assumed that was Bethan on the cover
She seems a bit too well-armed and aggressive to be Bethan, but even if she is she's still wrong.

Terry Pratchett posted:

As the druids spread out around a great flat stone that dominated the centre of the circle he couldn't help noticing the attractive if rather pale young lady in their midst. She wore a long white robe, a gold torc around her neck, and an expression of vague apprehension.

And while I'm at it, here's Cohen:

Terry Pratchett posted:

By the light of the torches he saw that it was a very old man, the skinny variety that generally gets called 'spry', with a totally bald head, a beard almost down to his knees, and a pair of matchstick legs on which varicose veins had traced the street map of quite a large city. Despite the snow he wore nothing more than a studded leather holdall and a pair of boots that could have easily accommodated a second pair of feet.
Bald with a long beard. Not the exact opposite of that.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tracula posted:

The thing is they don't even use drop ships in Starship Troopers. They're basically fired out of cannons to the surface.

They do send ships down to retrieve the soldiers after.

So like, pick-up ships?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't know the general opinion but of the Discworld series I really liked the Moist Von Lipwig series, due to them being Vetinari realising just how badly Ankhmorpork is being held back by lovely infrastructure, and ordering Moist to fix it. Then some backwater kid invents a train and he's like ":stare: I gotta get in on that..."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know the general opinion but of the Discworld series I really liked the Moist Von Lipwig series, due to them being Vetinari realising just how badly Ankhmorpork is being held back by lovely infrastructure, and ordering Moist to fix it. Then some backwater kid invents a train and he's like ":stare: I gotta get in on that..."

I liked Going Postal a lot and Making Money was decent, but Raising Steam was pretty much garbage. Nothing much happened and it wasn't funny. I felt like several of his later Discworld books seemed like they were written out of obligation or something, like he was out of decent Discworld ideas but just kept adding to the series anyway. Nation and Dodger were way better than any of the Discworld books that came out after about 2005.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The guy was writing two books a year with Alzheimer disease right up until he died. I can forgive Raising Steam not being his best work.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

The worst thing is that, arguably, this is a not-inaccurate depiction of the protagonist of the book. (She is, after all, a sexbot model. Living in a society of various robot models originally created to serve and please humans, although humans have since gone extinct.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I liked Going Postal a lot and Making Money was decent, but Raising Steam was pretty much garbage. Nothing much happened and it wasn't funny. I felt like several of his later Discworld books seemed like they were written out of obligation or something, like he was out of decent Discworld ideas but just kept adding to the series anyway. Nation and Dodger were way better than any of the Discworld books that came out after about 2005.

I... kind of agree? To me it felt like he had decent ideas about where he wanted Discworld to go but knew he didn't have enough time, so the last few books felt very forced because he wanted to move things along in a hurry.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The guy was writing two books a year with Alzheimer disease right up until he died. I can forgive Raising Steam not being his best work.

This. There's a lot of writing style choices in his finals books that you can see in his earlier ones that had been reined in by an editor who had a good back and forth with him. For obvious reason, this wasn't able to happen anymore. Really sad. Snuff didn't even feel like it was written by him, like it had been ghost written from an outline. I haven't tried any of the other ones besides Unseen Academicals, and that was entirely forgettable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I still like Raising Steam, largely because of the anthropomorphism of the train growing grander in each appearance due to the innate narrativium involved and the Goblins finally getting their niche as mechanics and becoming more respected. :3:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The problem is the opposite.

There's also the thing where the UK would publish YA novels with different, more sophisticated covers so that adults would be willing to read them in public without being embarrassed or ashamed.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm extremely apprehensive about Terry's daughter taking up the discworld series, mostly because I've played the Overlord games. :ohdear:

I'm also apprehensive about sounding misogynistic by saying that.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Klaus88 posted:

I'm extremely apprehensive about Terry's daughter taking up the discworld series, mostly because I've played the Overlord games. :ohdear:

I'm also apprehensive about sounding misogynistic by saying that.

You're in luck, then. She's not going to write any or allow any to be written.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wallaka posted:

You're in luck, then. She's not going to write any or allow any to be written.

That was my understanding as well. Discworld is well and truly done.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It's real sad. Discworld has been a mainstay with at least a book a year for a large chunk of my life :( Miss you Terry.

Even the less good Discworld books were very readable and some of the latter ones were still amazing. I was about to mention Night Watch as one of the later ones but wtf that came out all the way back in 2002?

I am also totally unashamed in my liking of the technically YA Tiffany Aching series.

edit: oh wait, bad book thread. Well, I thought The Long Earth was a bit crap but I blame Stephen Baxter.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My biggest grievance with the Night Watch series was it turning into the Vimes show, with the likes of Carrot and Angua vanishing into the ether.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Alhazred posted:

Fun fact about the painting: it was paid for by a group of rich men playing soldiers.
Dutch civil militias loved getting their pictures done, it's an entire genre. Hope you like sashes and big floppy hats:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Banquet_of_the_Officers_of_the_St_Adrian_Militia_Company_in_1627
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Officers_of_the_St_Adrian_Militia_Company_in_1633
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meagre_Company
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Officers_of_the_St_George_Militia_Company_in_1639

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

My biggest grievance with the Night Watch series was it turning into the Vimes show, with the likes of Carrot and Angua vanishing into the ether.

To be fair though neither of them would have worked with the book's setup. And we still got pre zombie reg shoe.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arcsquad12 posted:

To be fair though neither of them would have worked with the book's setup. And we still got pre zombie reg shoe.

I think he's talking about the Watch series in general (they did start out as the Night Watch, after all), and he does kind of have a point- the later books like Fifth Elephant and Snuff were very Vimes-centric. That said, Vimes is awesome (at least by my reckoning) so this wasn't such a bad thing.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

NLJP posted:

edit: oh wait, bad book thread. Well, I thought The Long Earth was a bit crap but I blame Stephen Baxter.

Pratchett thread here, and bitching about Baxter appears entirely on-topic there too.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Guy Mann posted:

There's also the thing where the UK would publish YA novels with different, more sophisticated covers so that adults would be willing to read them in public without being embarrassed or ashamed.

Scholastic did the same thing with the Harry Potter books in the U.S.. As if someone couldn't look at the title and know. :v:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

SilentChaz posted:

Scholastic did the same thing with the Harry Potter books in the U.S.. As if someone couldn't look at the title and know. :v:
I don't think that's fair to say; they still definitely look like children's books. They just look like much more interesting children's books. The British artwork for the first two is literally "Harry is looking at a train" and "Harry is sitting in a car" - it's hard to blame Scholastic for wanting to dress them up better.

The German art is the worst, though:

:sterv:

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Jul 9, 2016

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't think that's fair to say; they still definitely look like children's books. They just look like much more interesting children's books. The British artwork for the first two is literally "Harry is looking at a train" and "Harry is sitting in a car" - it's hard to blame Scholastic for wanting to dress them up better.

The most German-looking Harry Potter ever.

What I find more interesting is that they used her full first name on the German cover rather than just her initials. Apparently Germans don't have the same hangups about books being written by women as other countries do?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I dunno, I like this style. It reminds me of Jhonen Vasquez a little.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

*ahem*

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
DID SOMEONE SAY BAD HARRY POTTER COVERS? Have some Chinese knockoffs. EXPELLIARMUS I don't know what that means; am a very casual Harry Potter consumer.

Harry Potter and That Time Ron hosed Up Summoning

Harry Potter and the Sexy Centaur Who Punches Dragons

Harry Potter Under Mind Control Lifts Hourglasses Out of Other Hourglasses...?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bringmyfishback posted:

Harry Potter and the Sexy Centaur Who Punches Dragons
Is he fighting that Centaur or Maleficent?

So many trademark infringements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Gann Jerrod posted:

It's a shame that the US edition got this much more minimal cover:

I had to put up with these things: