Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Have you ever seen heard the comedian Mike Birbiglia's bit about the braindead police report for his car accident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dunYAG61uSA

Imagined has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Imagined posted:

Have you ever seen heard the comedian Mike Birbiglia's bit about the braindead police report for his car accident?

If you watch this you will be angry.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm angry at "another thing coming", but that's probably not what you meant.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Kurieg posted:

One of the crashes is someone driving into the sun, audibly saying "I can't see anything." Then accelerating straight into the back of a car.

It is highly improbabe he would have ever reached the sun

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

L0cke17 posted:

Speaking of horrible motorcycle accidents, its not always the motorcyclists fault. We're just apparently invisible. I stopped for a school bus that was unloading (and had kids literally in the street crossing it) when a lady rear-ended me going ~30 miles per hour. I went up onto her hood and my head smashed a big hole through her windshield. Then when the cops showed up she started screaming at them. Turns out she had a fake license, fake insurance, stolen plates, and my insurance wouldn't cover it because the police mis-filed the report. So -1 motorcycle. Also I got super lucky to not snap my spine, because I had a license plate in my backpack for my other bike that I was coming back from the tax office with that took the brunt of the blow to my lower back from her hood.

So yea, that's pretty much 'lawyer up' time to sue your own insurance.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Locator posted:

So yea, that's pretty much 'lawyer up' time to sue your own insurance.

I'm assuming that by "misfiled" he means the police never actually filed a report so he doesn't have any sort of documentation on their end. Otherwise I have no idea why insurance wouldn't pay for it unless you only had liability and no uninsured driver or something.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Of all the things people shove up their rear end, fireworks is among the dumbest.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Imagined posted:

I remember hearing this a few years ago, and I was just stunned by the whole thing. It's absolutely insane, and his delivery of the story is what made him my favorite comedian of all time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm assuming that by "misfiled" he means the police never actually filed a report so he doesn't have any sort of documentation on their end. Otherwise I have no idea why insurance wouldn't pay for it unless you only had liability and no uninsured driver or something.

The Birbiglia bit is a fascinating spin on this, because they had a police report on file, but the report said that he'd hit himself with his own car. It's a pretty fascinating listen. He even brings up the report itself, which you can find a decent enough shot of on GIS.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Trudat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R64htYJSk7I So many fireworks in so many buttholes... FAILARMY

Fuckin 3:02, is that guy lighting a grill inside his house? The schadenfreude there is most definitely not the small burst of flame, it's the death investigation closed within 10 seconds with a finding of "pure idiocy"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Fuckin 3:02, is that guy lighting a grill inside his house? The schadenfreude there is most definitely not the small burst of flame, it's the death investigation closed within 10 seconds with a finding of "pure idiocy"

It's my dad's recipe, the carbon monoxide poisoning really enhances the flavour of the burgers

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Imagined posted:

Video is unavailable apparently.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Measly Twerp posted:

Video is unavailable apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQezccX40Mk here it is

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Theres an important distinction a rider must make in the course of everyday travel. A motorcyclists best ally is the quickness and maneuverability a bike affords when it comes to escaping a dangerous situation. It is in my experience a perfect excuse to split lanes and thread needles in full traffic. The distinction is knowing the difference between a race with a car and a fight with a car. One, the motorcycle will always win. The other, the motorcycle will always lose.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-selfie-is-now-deadlier-than-jaws-2015-09-22

quote:

In May of this year, a Chinese businessman was killed by a walrus at a wildlife park after posing too close to the animal for a selfie.

What an epitaph.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Every time I hear that story, I get so angry. "Do the right thing, and pay for the guy's car"
:argh:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

I wonder in all of human history how many people have been killed by walruses who weren't actively trying to hunt the animals. Can't be more than a dozen.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd say a ton of people have been killed by them, but that's just because we've been around for a super long time. Like I'd assume more humans have been killed by walruses over the whole of modern human's history than have died in plane crashes.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_deaths

a few highlights

wikipedia posted:

455 BC: Aeschylus, the great Athenian author of tragedies. Valerius Maximus wrote that he was killed by a tortoise dropped by an eagle that had mistaken his bald head for a rock suitable for shattering the shell of the reptile. Pliny, in his Naturalis Historiæ, adds that Aeschylus had been staying outdoors to avert a prophecy that he would be killed by a falling object.

wikipedia posted:

206 BC: One ancient account of the death of Chrysippus, the 3rd century BC Greek Stoic philosopher, tells that he died of laughter after he saw a donkey eating his figs; he told a slave to give the donkey neat wine to drink to wash them down with, and then, "...having laughed too much, he died" (Diogenes Laertius 7.185).[20]

wikipedia posted:

1346: John of Bohemia, after being blind for 10 years, died in the Battle of Crecy when he tied his army's horse reins to his own and charged. He was slaughtered in the ensuing fight.[30]

wikipedia posted:

1854: William Snyder, a 13 year old, died when a circus clown swung him around by his heels.[45]

wikipedia posted:

1982: David Grundman was killed near Lake Pleasant, Arizona, U.S., while shooting at cacti with his shotgun. After he fired several shots at a 26 ft (8 m) tall Saguaro Cactus from extremely close range, a 4 ft (1.2 m) limb of the cactus detached and fell on him, crushing him.[79][80][81]

wikipedia posted:

1993: Garry Hoy, a 38-year-old lawyer in Toronto, Canada, fell to his death on 9 July 1993 after he threw himself against a window on the 24th floor of the Toronto-Dominion Centre in an attempt to prove to a group of visitors that the glass was "unbreakable", a demonstration he had done many times before. The glass did not break, but popped out of the window frame, and Hoy fell to his death.[86][87]

wikipedia posted:

2007: Humberto Hernandez, a 24-year-old Oakland, California, resident, was killed after being struck in the face by an airborne fire hydrant while walking. A passing car had struck the fire hydrant and the water pressure shot the hydrant at Hernandez with enough force to kill him.[100][101][102]

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The guy shooting the cactus and getting killed by it is especially funny, because those are a protected species in Arizona.

Live by the sword, die by the cactus

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like the "SELFIES ARE KILLING MORE PEOPLE THAN SHARKS :byodood:" panic, when sharks actually don't kill that many people. There's tons of mundane objects and causes more likely to kill you than encountering a shark in the ocean. Such as autoerotic asphyxiation!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

chitoryu12 posted:

I like the "SELFIES ARE KILLING MORE PEOPLE THAN SHARKS :byodood:" panic, when sharks actually don't kill that many people. There's tons of mundane objects and causes more likely to kill you than encountering a shark in the ocean. Such as autoerotic asphyxiation!

Either way, you're going to lose a lot of fluids first.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't decide if it's okay to find this schadenfreudey or not.

On one hand, the idea of an obese youtuber not being able to play a Pokemon game because it requires walking is funny. On the other hand, finding it funny is basically making fun of a dude for being fat, which triggers my internal "Stop it, what is wrong with you?" switch.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When Ingress came out I remember the online reaction was full of comments like "How do I walk" and "You mean I have to go outside????"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
When did "fat" become something that was some sort of protected status?

If he has a REASON to be fat (i.e. actual glandular problems or something) then yea, that sucks. If not though, loving :lol: at the fat guy for being fat.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Data Graham posted:

When Ingress came out I remember the online reaction was full of comments like "How do I walk" and "You mean I have to go outside????"

I was super excited when the Boktai games came out because how cool was it that they were games that made you stronger in the sunlight!
Except that the GBA screen was poo poo and under the sun you could see loving nothing.
Also it was too sunny here rendering the game almost unplayable because all your weapons would overheat.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

If he has a REASON to be fat (i.e. actual glandular problems or something) then yea, that sucks. If not though, loving :lol: at the fat guy for being fat.

This. If you are so fat that walking is hard for you, and you did it by stuffing your face and not exercising, you deserve to be laughed at.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Boogie had a legitimately hosed up childhood that he coped with by overeating.

He's very open about his abuse, and how being so overweight is slowly killing him. He's not a HAES whiner with his head in the sand. If you watch the guy regularly, you can't help but root for him.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Imagined posted:

Takoluka posted:

I remember hearing this a few years ago, and I was just stunned by the whole thing. It's absolutely insane, and his delivery of the story is what made him my favorite comedian of all time.

On a not-entirely-unrelated note, Mike Birbiglia's Sleepwalk with Me (the album, not the movie) is a goddamn magnum opus. If you like story-telling stand-up, you absolutely have to listen to that album. The way he tells this over-arching tale about his sleep disorder, and weaves in all the bits about his family and personal life, and his struggles breaking into comedy, is absolutely magnificent. Especially impressive is how he manages to include so many touching and genuine stories and moments without turning the entire thing into schmaltz. It's seriously one of the greatest single works of stand-up comedy I have ever heard.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Of course there's a loving acronym for it. Health at Every Size as Google quickly pointed out for me and anyone else that might be wondering

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

ratbert90 posted:

This. If you are so fat that walking is hard for you, and you did it by stuffing your face and not exercising, you deserve to be laughed at.

It's part of a character that he plays. He is working on fixing things, he's actually a pretty good guy.

quote:

I was abused for the first 18 years of my life (and my therapist will tell you 35 years) by family members... most notably my mother. It was a mental/physical abuse structure that took a lot of different angles.
The physical abuse was nearly daily. Highlights include trying to claw my eyes out, burning me, whipping me, punching me, hitting me in the head with a hammer, cutting me with glass, etc, etc.
The mental abuse ranges from Munchhausen syndrome to purposely teaching me wrong habits to keep me from being able to excel in life. The most obvious one being feeding me wrong in the hopes I'd be too fat to leave the house... which was nearly successful because I was almost 350 pounds by the time I left high school and had "No clue" why I was so much bigger than everyone else.
I'm still in recovery but thanks to youtube, I've been recovering nicely. :)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

oldpainless posted:

Chronic fatigue syndrome

oldpainless more like oldsympathyless

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Clitch posted:

He's very open about his abuse, and how being so overweight is slowly killing him. He's not a HAES whiner with his head in the sand. If you watch the guy regularly, you can't help but root for him.

Has he used some of them stacks of YouTube channel cash to get therapy and try to deal with his issues, or is he just saying "I had abuse so I ate to much, and now I'm a fatass ain't nothing I or anyone can do to change it!"?

Edit: answered while posting

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Chronic fatigue syndrome
So, get a prescription for amphetamine. Whats the big whoop? Problem solved!

Clitch posted:

Dammit, my appologies video game dude.

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Jul 6, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, gently caress people who have an issue that takes years to physically and mentally manage, rarely goes away entirely, and is still a huge social stigma.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

synthetik posted:

It's part of a character that he plays. He is working on fixing things, he's actually a pretty good guy.

Welp, in this case I am the IOSM. :smith:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

The police report was riddled with errors, such as the time and date the incident occurred. And the wrong address. The insurance company said I needed an affidavit from the responding officer to corroborate my story since the report was so wrong, but the officer didn't care and wouldn't return my calls. That particular motorcycle was only a few hundred bucks, so rather than start a lawsuit which would probably cost more than the bike, the lawyer I talked to suggested just dropping it entirely and going to a new insurance company. I lived happily ever after with my new motorcycle, until 6 months later it was backed over in my driveway and totaled with not so much as a note. The new insurance company was great and paid out in less than a week.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Clitch posted:

If you watch the guy regularly, you can't help but root for him.

I used to be like this, but I've kinda soured on him after the fall of his watch-me-lose-weight subchannel. The dude was doing fad/lose-weight-quick diets (liquid diets/juicing come to mind) that even youtube commenters were warning him wasn't good for him (which would inevitably lead into a why-haven't-I-lost-weight video down the line). It didn't help that he had more than a few " :qq: I was at a wedding, I couldn't not eat a ton of cake! :qq: " videos.

It's why I've always had a is-this-schadenfreude-or-not thing with him. Man, I want to root for you. :smith:

Plus, he was kinda the king of "I'm not a Gamergater, I'm a moderate, but I believe {almost everything Gamergate believes}".

e: Can't find a link that's overlong to link to, but man I'm getting a lot of schadenfrude off Eddie Snowden kvetching that he had to leave America, but Hillary won't be charged. Boo hoo.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

OH MAN TALKIN' BOUT FAT PEOPLE