Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

axeil posted:

So apparently Hillary has added debt-free college to her platform. Guess this is her continuing to appeal to the Bernie crowd. My question though, what about all of us who had tens of thousands in student loan debt and actually, ya know, paid it off? College tuiton needs to change in this country but drat if this isn't a pretty hosed up situation for those who still have the huge debt burdens or wasted years of income paying them off.

With people older than my generational cohort having by and large better jobs because they got into industries pre-recession and people after my cohort earning way more over their lifetimes because they won't have mountains of debt over their heads, it seems like the 22-30 year old group of Millenials got screwed from both sides.

So things shouldn't get better because they used to be bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
We’ll all remember where we were when we saw Alton Sterling killed in a brutal act of police violence

quote:

You cannot un-see what those police officers did to Alton Sterling. Even though I had an idea of what I was about to watch, seeing it still somehow took my breath away.

We've seen a lot of police brutality these past few years, but seeing the police first tackle and manhandle Alton Sterling, mount him like a UFC fighter, then pull their guns out and shoot him repeatedly at point-blank range, killing him right there in front of his local convenience store where he was known as the "CD Man," was equal parts devastating, infuriating, heartbreaking, maddening and overwhelming.

Whatever you do, don't try to make sense of what those police did to Alton Sterling. What they did doesn't make sense. They killed him. That kind of killing rarely makes much sense.

The Orlando shooting doesn't make sense. That mom who shot and killed her two daughters doesn't make sense. These officers killing Alton Sterling doesn't make sense.

Now, you know and I know that we will soon learn what Alton Sterling's farts smelled like in the third grade. They'll reach as far back as they need to find a way degrade and dehumanize him. Please don't fall for that.

What you need to remember is how you felt when you first saw this man killed. You knew it was a grave injustice. Nothing they can say from this point forward should be able to change that.

In a nation fully obsessed with guns — in which we have more guns than people — a black man with a gun in his pocket, or a 12-year-old with a toy gun at a park, or a grown man with a toy gun at Walmart all get shot and killed on contact.

What are we supposed to do? How are we supposed to see what they did to Alton Sterling then watch SportsCenter or sitcoms? How do we crack jokes and move on?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

So things shouldn't get better because they used to be bad?
"gently caress you, I didn't get mine"?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

If that demographic voted in similar numbers to the 65+ demographic, poo poo would have been fixed a long time ago.

So instead we're giving a benefit to the 18-21 year old demographic who votes even less than 22-30?

Keep in mind, I think this is a good thing, I'm just sort of annoyed a Good Thing is happening where myself and a lot of my friends had to deal with Bad Thing and won't get very much to compensate.

Crows Turn Off posted:

"gently caress you, I didn't get mine"?

Yeah, it's pretty much this. I suppose people in the future will say :smug: "Well at least I paid off my loans, instead of having the government pay for them."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

axeil posted:

So instead we're giving a benefit to the 18-21 year old demographic who votes even less than 22-30?

You realize at the speed that government gets things done, almost no one who is currently in college will likely benefit from this? More like 14-17 year olds.

And they CAN'T EVEN VOTE!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

You realize at the speed that government gets things done, almost no one who is currently in college will likely benefit from this? More like 14-17 year olds.

Sneaky Hillary going after the tween vote! :freep:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

axeil posted:

A 3 month freeze on repayment with modifications to lower interest rates are a good compromise for those who don't get it debt-free. A full on forgiveness program would be nice, but there's no way that's viable without throwing the industry into a maelstrom.

She actually has proposed forgiveness programs as part of other proposals. They're all on her website.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

axeil posted:

Keep in mind, I think this is a good thing, I'm just sort of annoyed a Good Thing is happening where myself and a lot of my friends had to deal with Bad Thing and won't get very much to compensate.

Yeah, it's pretty much this. I suppose people in the future will say :smug: "Well at least I paid off my loans, instead of having the government pay for them."

Yes, it sucks, not accusing you of it, but that line of thinking is exactly why good poo poo in government and good policies doesn't happen often. It's the gently caress you I had to deal with it so I'm not gonna make it better for those coming after me mentality. which is really bad policy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

So Stein's strategy this year is to just do whatever the Republicans are doing, only a day later?

The Green Party are poo poo and have been for a while. Their main goal is trying to get into the mainstream and their policies are shaped around that.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dexo posted:

Yes, it sucks, not accusing you of it, but that line of thinking is exactly why good poo poo in government and policies doesn't happen often. It's the gently caress you I had to deal with it so I'm not gonna make it better for those coming after me mentality. which is really bad policy.

Agreed. I think it's why if you want any policy that targets a specific group you need to bundle it with other things. Classic example is farm subsidies being connected with the food stamps program. Farmers don't generally need food stamps and food stamp recipients usually aren't farmers, so to get both groups on board with a policy that won't help them they tie it together.

Sadly horse-trading and negotiation like that died in Congress a long time ago. I'm hoping the Dems somehow manage to take it back and undo a lot of the stuff that makes good governance tough.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

axeil posted:

A full on forgiveness program would be nice, but there's no way that's viable without throwing the industry into a maelstrom.
:qq: who loving cares

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kilroy posted:

It is a bit funny to see axeil split between "Forgive all student debt" and ":ohdear: Oh no, the finance industry! :ohdear:"

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
If nothing else, affordable college gives those millienials who missed the boat a break on paying college tuition for any of their future kids down the road.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Doing a Find & Replace to change Obama to Clinton sure will make his lovely lawsuits less believable.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It still disgusts me that in the Brown case that prosecutor, who has the job of explaining to a grand jury why charges were necessary, instead behaved like he was the cop's personal defense attorney. So of course the jury wasn't going to recommend charges when all they heard was pro-cop stuff.

Why would he do his job and tank his career when he could instead abuse his position so that he could further his own political career? :911:

Epic High Five posted:

I hope Comey uses his questioning to announce his intention to investigate usage of private servers to handle Benghazi Committee business and the illegal tampering with of federal documents by the same

We don't deserve to live in a world that good.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kilroy posted:

The finance industry going bad is bad for everyone.

see: the global financial crisis

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She actually has proposed forgiveness programs as part of other proposals. They're all on her website.

Out of curiosity, is it the same "work for the government for 10 years and your good" thing that's in place now?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

UV_Catastrophe posted:

If nothing else, affordable college gives those millienials who missed the boat a break on paying college tuition for any of their future kids down the road.

I wasn't planning on paying for that anyway. So, thanks for nothing, Clinton.

Though I guess at least she's going to try to do something. I say try because I think it will fail.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

Out of curiosity, is it the same "work for the government for 10 years and your good" thing that's in place now?

About that. I work for the government, kind of, and I'm not included. Apparently it's somewhat limited in scope.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pakled posted:

The finance industry going bad is bad for everyone.

see: the global financial crisis
No, loving up the economy is bad for everyone - the finance industry going bad is bad for people who work in the finance industry. To the extent "loving up the finance industry" equates with "loving up the economy" indicates bad law and policy which should be changed.

At any rate it's not clear how loan forgiveness is going to gently caress up anything - the government would not pass a law mandating that all student loan creditors are poo poo outta luck. It would pay the debts and the creditors would be made whole. They lose out on some fixed income, but otherwise no big deal and any bank that would be put out of business by that, should be put out of business by that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Top secret secret rumor is these are Clinton's plans for existing student debt:

quote:

*Refinance their student loans at current rates, just as borrowers can refinance a car or home loan. Refinancing would help 25 million borrowers across the country, with the typical borrower saving $2,000 over the life of the loan.

*Enroll in income-based repayment. Nobody should have to pay more than 10 percent of monthly income, and college debt should be forgiven after 20 years – and 10 years if a borrower works in the public interest. Hillary will simplify, expand and develop options for automatic enrollment in these programs.

*Push employers to contribute to student debt relief. Employers must be part of the solution to the student debt crisis. Clinton will create a payroll deduction portal for employers and employees that will simplify the repayment process. She will explore further options to encourage employers to help pay down student debt.

*Get relief from debt for starting a business or social enterprise. Aspiring entrepreneurs will be able to defer their loans with no payments or interest for up to three years so that student debt and the lack of family wealth is not a barrier to innovation in our country. For social entrepreneurs and those starting new enterprises in distressed communities, her plan will provide up to $17,500 in loan forgiveness.

*Reward public service. AmeriCorps members who complete two years of national service and a year of public service can have their loans forgiven. Teachers who teach in high-need areas or in subjects with teacher shortages – such as computer science or special education – will get enhanced loan forgiveness.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Service guarantees we won't crush you under a mountain of debt!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Doesn't Clinton also want to provide college debt relief to kids with startups?

Is it 'gently caress You, Didn't Get Mine' if I hate the idea of a kid getting debt relief because he created the next Flappy Bird or a company that sends you toilet paper for $5 a month that inexplicably gets valued at $50 million or some other crazy poo poo?

e: Trabisnikof beat me to it

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Is it 'gently caress You, Didn't Get Mine' if I hate the idea of a kid getting debt relief because he created the next Flappy Bird or a company that sends you toilet paper for $5 a month that inexplicably gets valued at $50 million or some other crazy poo poo?

Let me tell you a little secret. there is a reason most start-ups are made by white kids from decently well off parents. Those kids can afford to spend 3 years making next to no money as they have a family that can take care of them.

I know plenty of college grads with great ideas that they just never had the choice to actually try and pursue because they had to pay off loans and make a living.

Giving a loan deferment and some forgiveness for people to try to innovate isn't exactly a bad idea.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 6, 2016

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/750739067873193984

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Not all new "businesses or social enterprises" are phone apps.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WampaLord posted:

It is a bit funny to see axeil split between "Forgive all student debt" and ":ohdear: Oh no, the finance industry! :ohdear:"

I aim to entertain you all with my cognitive dissonance.

Trabisnikof posted:

Top secret secret rumor is these are Clinton's plans for existing student debt:

These are all good ideas. Especially the Americorps one.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 6, 2016

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

axeil posted:

So apparently Hillary has added debt-free college to her platform. Guess this is her continuing to appeal to the Bernie crowd. My question though, what about all of us who had tens of thousands in student loan debt and actually, ya know, paid it off? College tuiton needs to change in this country but drat if this isn't a pretty hosed up situation for those who still have the huge debt burdens or wasted years of income paying them off.

With people older than my generational cohort having by and large better jobs because they got into industries pre-recession and people after my cohort earning way more over their lifetimes because they won't have mountains of debt over their heads, it seems like the 22-30 year old group of Millenials got screwed from both sides.

*gingerly extends claw to pull other crabs back into bucket*

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
alright bring it in folks im sure we can find a way that hillary's plans for reducing debt burdens are actually bad if we put our heads together

if they're truly some silver spoon prick making an app on their father's dime, they won't have outstanding debt to begin with. duh

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/750711333260320768

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

I think I saw this same argument on the Battle.net forums from people demanding that Blizzard refund the gold difference from when the cost of epic mounts was dropped from 1000 gold.

Especially from people who had juuust finished their grind a week before the patch.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Dexo posted:

Let me tell you a little secret. there is a reason most start-ups are made by white kids from decently well off parents. Those kids can afford to spend 3 years making next to no money as they have a family that can take care of them.

I know plenty of college grads with great ideas that they just never had the choice to actually try and pursue because they had to pay off loans and make a living.

Giving a loan deferment and some forgiveness for people to try to innovate isn't exactly a bad idea.

Well, what's going to stop this relief program from going mainly to well-off white kids then?

This is the perfect example of racism hidden behind good intentions. I'm sure Clinton means well but I doubt this will be a boon for minority entrepreneurs.

e: fixed for spelling brainfarts

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 6, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

We did it guys!

We really did it!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

DolphinCop posted:

alright bring it in folks im sure we can find a way that hillary's plans for reducing debt burdens are actually bad if we put our heads together

if they're truly some silver spoon prick making an app on their father's dime, they won't have outstanding debt to begin with. duh

That's like saying Trump is rich so surely he wouldn't take advantage of tax breaks. People with money look for ways to keep their money.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Well, what's going to stop this relief program from going mainly to well-off white kids then?

This is the perfect example of racism hidden behind good intentions. I'm sure Clinton means well but I doubt this will be a boon for monitory entrepreneurs.

:ssh: those kids don't have to worry about college debt p much at all anyway.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The most enthusiastic photo of Carson they could find is one of him mid-yawn.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This is the perfect example of racism hidden behind good intentions. I'm sure Clinton means well but I doubt this will be a boon for monitory entrepreneurs.

If they're well off, they don't have debt.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody help me here. Lynch and the Justice Department haven't issued a decision yet on the Clinton emails so, what is it that she's supposed to testify to next week? Isn't the Republican House actually trying to unduly influence that decision by having her testify about a still ongoing investigation? Can she even do that?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

radical meme posted:

Somebody help me here. Lynch and the Justice Department haven't issued a decision yet on the Clinton emails so, what is it that she's supposed to testify to next week? Isn't the Republican House actually trying to unduly influence that decision by having her testify about a still ongoing investigation? Can she even do that?

N.S.C.I. = Never Stop Congressional Investigations

Dexo posted:

:ssh: those kids don't have to worry about college debt p much at all anyway.

WampaLord posted:

If they're well off, they don't have debt.

You guys have more faith in government programs not being abused by people with wealth/power a lot more than me.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

radical meme posted:

She said she would follow the FBI's decision, which is clearly political influence.

• Locked thread