Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
july
This poll is closed.
j 45 20.27%
u 54 24.32%
l 48 21.62%
y 75 33.78%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

The only Zelda I've ever played was Wind Waker

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's a good one to be the only one, though most of them are.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

How was okamiden

It was okay, like it didn't play any worse or anything, it was just kind of soulless

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I've never owned a nintendo console. So as an adult, 6ish years ago, attracted to the art style of Wind-Waker, I bought it to play on my friend's gamecube. I really liked it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's me, i like almost all of mm3d's changes

not goht though, the original was flawless

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

I rented okami and got to what I thought was the final boss. Then I found out the game was only like halfway over so I decided "nah I'm good" and returned it.

Real long game.

Depending on which boss you're talking about you might have only gotten a fourth of the way though.

I totally understand how that might have felt if you weren't digging it, but every time that game built up to a climax and just kept going put a big smile on my face. I really love that game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Snak posted:

I've never owned a nintendo console. So as an adult, 6ish years ago, attracted to the art style of Wind-Waker, I bought it to play on my friend's gamecube. I really liked it.

I remember when people referred to it as Celda and it along with its cell shaded ilk were kiddyfying all games.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Broseph Brostar posted:

I remember when people referred to it as Celda and it along with its cell shaded ilk were kiddyfying all games.

People are idiots

Anyway, is there a game that does the old Escape Velocity thing well? Especially the bit about just stumbling on storylines etc. Basically, is there a modern EV clone?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okami is a game that I recognize the problems people have with it but I didn't actually dislike any of those things. Like there is a point in Okami where it really seems to be wrapping things up but I was loving stoked that it wasn't over yet and I in fact had a whole other area left because I was enjoying the hell out of pretty much every second of that game.

I then did it all again when it came out on PS3 and enjoyed it about as much. I dunno, I just love that game a lot.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The only thing I actively dislike in Okami is not being able to speed up text until NG+.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

I mean, why would he play the others when he's already played the best?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NLJP posted:

Anyway, is there a game that does the old Escape Velocity thing well? Especially the bit about just stumbling on storylines etc. Basically, is there a modern EV clone?

Literally, yes. There's also NAEV though it hasn't been updated in a while. Both games are completely free.

If you want something more "inspired by" EV rather than a modernized clone of it, you might want to check out SPAZ or, by far my favourite, Starsector. The latter's still in alpha though, but it's also fully featured, incredibly polished, and a lot of fun. It's the most divergent from the blueprint though, since you'll also be commanding fleets and manipulating markets. It's also a complete sandbox as there are no actual questlines or stories.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Mordja posted:

Literally, yes. There's also NAEV though it hasn't been updated in a while. Both games are completely free.

If you want something more "inspired by" EV rather than a modernized clone of it, you might want to check out SPAZ or, by far my favourite, Starsector. The latter's still in alpha though, but it's also fully featured, incredibly polished, and a lot of fun. It's the most divergent from the blueprint though, since you'll also be commanding fleets and manipulating markets. It's also a complete sandbox as there are no actual questlines or stories.

Thanks buddy, I actually remember giving Endless Sky a go ages ago but got blocked by a super lovely mission in one of the storylines. I still loved tooling around in it though, mostly because it really is so EV.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Don't forget SPACE RANGERS H D

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Okami is a game that I recognize the problems people have with it but I didn't actually dislike any of those things. Like there is a point in Okami where it really seems to be wrapping things up but I was loving stoked that it wasn't over yet and I in fact had a whole other area left because I was enjoying the hell out of pretty much every second of that game.

I then did it all again when it came out on PS3 and enjoyed it about as much. I dunno, I just love that game a lot.
I love Okami, it's a great game, I just have a couple issues with it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://evolvegame.com/

Guess what's going free to play

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Battleborn

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

lol as if anyone would play that for free

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I had a really weird dream that I was playing a multiplayer game where each person was part of a 4-person group and they each had their own tasks to perform in order to make sure the group could complete and win the game instead of other players. However, each group would have 1 traitorous character who would be tasked with attempting to destroy the group from the inside for their own benefit and so your goal would be to work with your team while trying to uproot the traitor or keeping close enough tabs on everybody that the traitor is forced to continue to be helpful to the group or give themselves up.

Is there actually a game like that that exists?

Thinking about it a little more, I feel like I just described a moba in a really roundabout way...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think that exists in non-video game form, not sure what that kind of thing is called though

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Grapplejack posted:

You know, people dump on the game a lot but the concept is sound, and I thought it was pretty cool when I played the beta. It got rightfully mocked for all of its DLC bullshit and tryhard e-sportsing, but I'd give it a try for zero cost.

Much unlike

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jay Rust posted:

I think that exists in non-video game form, not sure what that kind of thing is called though

Only one group, but that's kind of similar to The Resistance card game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I had a really weird dream that I was playing a multiplayer game where each person was part of a 4-person group and they each had their own tasks to perform in order to make sure the group could complete and win the game instead of other players. However, each group would have 1 traitorous character who would be tasked with attempting to destroy the group from the inside for their own benefit and so your goal would be to work with your team while trying to uproot the traitor or keeping close enough tabs on everybody that the traitor is forced to continue to be helpful to the group or give themselves up.

Thinking about it a little more, I feel like I just described a moba in a really roundabout way...

Yeah this is every moba, except all the players are saboteurs.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Betrayal at the house of the hill (I'm sure I got the name wrong) is kinda like that, but only in a few scenarios. In most of them the traitor is revealed early.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Broseph Brostar posted:

Betrayal at the house of the hill (I'm sure I got the name wrong) is kinda like that, but only in a few scenarios. In most of them the traitor is revealed early.

Oh yeah, that's a better example.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

That's an entire genre of board games, I dont know if I've ever seen that in a video game though

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/71738/hes-lyingtrust-me-comprehensive-list-traitor-ish-g

Whole bunch more lists of them linked in that list

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

I've never owned a nintendo console.

:wtc:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

shadows over camelot

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
My favorite one is the Battlestar Galactica board game

especially when you accidentally send someone who's just unfamiliar with the game out the airlock because they're suspiciously bad at the game

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

shadows over camelot

This. The Battlestar Galactica boardgame is very similar. But like, not good. I love BSG, and the board game is fun in terms of feeling like the show, but it's a loving mess. Probably 70% of the gameplay mechanics are based on the idea that the cylon player will remain undetected and there's a bunch of hidden information gameplay going on, when in reality, this never, ever happens.

Also tiny, quarter-sized cards are stupid and no game should ever use them.

Also in a game with 100 different types of cards already, don't have a mechanic that requires shuffling small, irregularly shaped cardboard tiles. What the gently caress.

It's also really, really hard for the humans to win. Which feels appropriate, but like, it's barely even fun to win as the cylon player. "Well this is what the RNG has hosed the humans on the hardest, I'll just apply pressure there and win, I guess".

edit: ^ One time the cylon player didn't actually read his allegiance card and didn't realize he was a cylon.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

PARNELL'S PRO TIP TUESDAY

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The video game equivalent of a traitor game is being "that guy" in round of islands on Game & Wario

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There's a lot of games that don't explicitly have traitor rules that let you be "that guy". In NSMB Wii my friends and I basically had a running bit where whoever got stuck with Yellow Toad would do their level best to interfere with the plans and platforming of others at unexpected times.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Speaking of Evolve did that game kinda like it where I think you play a killer against 4 people that came out recently turn out bad?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dead by Daylight?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Mr E posted:

Speaking of Evolve did that game kinda like it where I think you play a killer against 4 people that came out recently turn out bad?

Dead by Daylight? it's pretty highly watched on twitch and i was eyeballing it personally

friends seem to like it

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Dead by Daylight?

Yeah that's it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I wish somebody would take that concept and make a great Evil Dead game out of it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

I wish somebody would take that concept and make a great Evil Dead game out of it

And Evil Dead game seems like it would be a cross between Dead by Daylight and Who's Your Daddy.

Which would be pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr E posted:

Evolve was fun and did some cool poo poo before other games. Just ignore that it wasn't super fun if your team had a bad trapper or some other important class.

• Locked thread